Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Steak posted:

would you take a 1/8 chance of becoming a survivor (translation: automatically lose the game)?

If it benefited the town in the immediate moment to take that risk, the townie move is to do it and cross the 1/8 bridge if you come to it.

Why is getting survivor an automatic loss? The boon-getter could easily just lie and say they got and used a different boon. Docced someone who didn’t get targeted or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Steak posted:

waaaiiitt a second, is this scientastic missing the entire point of this argument BECAUSE the survivor debuff is actually still a boon for scum and she forgot...??

Is it?

OP posted:

Become survivor for remainder of game (Town) / Become juggernaut for remainder of the game (Scum)

That sounds to me like a townie has a possibility of becoming a survivor if they don’t use the vig, and scum would become unblockable. What am I missing?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, sng, if you're genuinely just worried about becoming a survivor and actually truly do not want to use the vig, then just vig a lurker. space hamlet has literally not posted.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I see being survivor as being quite likely to lose the game, seeing as this game has two nightkills and a shitload of guns it it goes on too long haha

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Steak posted:

*he.

(the profile pic)

That’s actually a portrai of Hal incandenza

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Scientastic posted:

Why is getting survivor an automatic loss? The boon-getter could easily just lie and say they got and used a different boon. Docced someone who didn’t get targeted or whatever.
It's not an automatic loss, but it's much, much harder to win as.

Also it's a complete alignment shift, it makes you scum, why are you not seeing that and why is "oh just lie about your alignment, that's a townie thing to do" a cool idea in your eyes?

##vote sci

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

I see being survivor as being quite likely to lose the game, seeing as this game has two nightkills and a shitload of guns it it goes on too long haha

Exactly my point. And steak I’m gonna just vote second vote leader today so that town gets two lunches, I think that’s fair, and it spares me from PR slotto

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Don’t vig a lurker, undoubtedly some of the people advocating a lurker vig are scum who are confident that you won’t hit one of their team

It’s also boring and unfun

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Wait not just lie about your alignment, but lie about your night actions and give the town fake results too, what the heck sci

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

sandnavyguy posted:

Exactly my point. And steak I’m gonna just vote second vote leader today so that town gets two lunches, I think that’s fair, and it spares me from PR slotto
Cowardice. Have an opinion.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Scientastic posted:

Don’t vig a lurker, undoubtedly some of the people advocating a lurker vig are scum who are confident that you won’t hit one of their team

Wtf how is letting the dead lurker weight just sit around taking up space and making it harder to lunch people somehow less boring and more fun

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

lol some real bad posts from sci in the past hour

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CapnAndy posted:

Also it's a complete alignment shift, it makes you scum, why are you not seeing that and why is "oh just lie about your alignment, that's a townie thing to do" a cool idea in your eyes?

##vote sci

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, well done Andy, you have penetrated my cunning ruse to win as scum by ???

I don’t think it’s a cool townie thing to lie about your alignment, but risking a negative outcome for a net positive effect is a cool townie thing to do, and quite clearly that’s what I was saying.

The lying about the alignment bit was just because I don’t agree that being a survivor is a guaranteed death sentence, especially in this game.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Mr. Humalong posted:

lol some real bad posts from sci in the past hour

Amazing you would confuse your own posts for scis

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Scientastic posted:

I agree, I feel it would be a waste. Besides, shooting a vote leader has higher odds of hitting scum since people more experienced then me would have a hand in the decision.

CapnAndy posted:

I’m NOT being a coward, I’m being cautious. There’s a difference. Cowardice would be just shoot the lurker and have done with it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, well done Andy, you have penetrated my cunning ruse to win as scum by ???
It literally is exactly what you said! You said "oh if you turn into scum, just lie about it and give the town some fake results, what's the big deal", and I don't know why you seem blind to lying to the town and being scum being a big deal.

As for cunning ruses, man, your guess is as good as mine, don't put figuring out why you're doing this on me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

sandnavyguy posted:

I agree, I feel it would be a waste. Besides, shooting a vote leader has higher odds of hitting scum since people more experienced then me would have a hand in the decision.

Why do you feel removing, say, the person with literally zero ingame posts would be a "waste"

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
@epsilon, can you please replace the playerlist with this?

1. b-minus1
  2. Bifauxnen (she/her but I don't care if you gently caress it up )
  3. CapnAndy (he/him, will also accept "cis scum")
  4. DGK2000 (DGK/Lord/He)
  5. GenericGirlName
  6. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  7. hambeet (he/him)
  8. JOHN CENA (his)
  9. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  10. Mr. Steak (he/him)
  11. Power of Pecota
  12. sandnavyguy (He/him)
  13. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  14. Scientastic (he/him)
  15. SolusLunes
  16. Space Hamlet
  17. Spoonsy (he/him/his)
  18. t a s t e
  19. Tommunist
  20. tpink
  21. yuming (she/her)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

sandnavyguy posted:

I’m NOT being a coward, I’m being cautious. There’s a difference. Cowardice would be just shoot the lurker and have done with it.
But "I'll just vote whoever's in second place" completely abrogates any of your responsibility, as the vig, to make a decision and then own the consequences.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CapnAndy posted:

But "I'll just vote whoever's in second place" completely abrogates any of your responsibility, as the vig, to make a decision and then own the consequences.

Yeah SNG seems more concerned about how people will judge his use of the vidge, than the actual result of his vidge

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bif who are your top 3 scums

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

u know whats boring and unfun? lurkers

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapnAndy posted:

i have to agree here

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

Why do you feel removing, say, the person with literally zero ingame posts would be a "waste"

Because eliminating a player unlikely to be scum is antithetical to being useful. If they are complete dead weight and don’t vote or anything they allow the game to be weighted in towns favor. It’s a possible NK that doesn’t harm towns planning team (though it’s unlikely they’ll do that it still is an option.), an extra body keeps the majority vote high which requires more town to be on board with the lunch if we begin paring the number down helping prevent a scum rush led turbo, and in a game with multiple vigs, gives additional time to figure out which vote leader to lunch and which to flip early.

Eliminating them just wastes a vig.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

t a s t e posted:

Sandwolf, SNG and... maybe Spoonsy. I appreciated his early Bojack reference that got me on a nice jokephase roll, but seriously, every time he does show up he doesn't actually contribute even when the posts and cases are just flying all around him.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

sandnavyguy posted:

:words:

Eliminating them just wastes a vig.

Who even cares about wasting a vig when they're all over the place!!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CapnAndy posted:

It literally is exactly what you said! You said "oh if you turn into scum, just lie about it and give the town some fake results, what's the big deal", and I don't know why you seem blind to lying to the town and being scum being a big deal.

As for cunning ruses, man, your guess is as good as mine, don't put figuring out why you're doing this on me.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I was questioning why Steak was saying you would definitely lose if you rolled survivor as a boon and suggesting a way that a survivor could easily lie their way out of it, therefore not making it a death sentence, and therefore making it less of a risk FOR THAT PLAYER than Steak was presenting it as.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sng i think the happy medium between a lurker and someone who'll probably flip scum and made a lot of connections, AND (cuz you care about this so much) you won't get hardly any flack for it: humalong!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sandnavyguy posted:

shooting a vote leader has higher odds of hitting scum since people more experienced then me would have a hand in the decision.

also people with scum wincons would have a hand in the decision. how do you not realize this??

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

t a s t e posted:

taste I haven't caught up with everything but I completely trust you, who are the top 3 scums I should be worried about?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I was questioning why Steak was saying you would definitely lose if you rolled survivor as a boon and suggesting a way that a survivor could easily lie their way out of it, therefore not making it a death sentence, and therefore making it less of a risk FOR THAT PLAYER than Steak was presenting it as.
But like... I don't want me to win. I want the town to win. Yes, maybe it's less of a risk for me personally -- although I still think it's harder to win as survivor than VT -- but the sheer selfishness of what you keep saying is what I keep reacting to.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sandnavyguy posted:

If they are complete dead weight and don’t vote or anything they allow the game to be weighted in towns favor.

um, no? they're a vote that town is missing. with a complete dead weight lurker in the game, town cannot lunch anyone at lylo, meaning lylo = a loss. that is not "in town's favor"

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*correction. town cannot lunch SCUM at lylo

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

It’s less I care about everyone’s opinion on me and more I care about lunching a likely scum target. I want to win, and In a game where multiple vigs exist for both scum and town, every shot counts. Why on earth would I vig someone who is unlikely to be a scum because they are too apathetic to even joke post. Like I don’t even see where the skepticism is coming from. At this point our vote leader has two votes with 11 for majority. It would be stupid to fire right now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak I think you would make a good mafia dad

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Steak we are not at lylo. That is an argument once we get past at least what, D3?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Sandwolf, SNG and... maybe Spoonsy. I appreciated his early Bojack reference that got me on a nice jokephase roll, but seriously, every time he does show up he doesn't actually contribute even when the posts and cases are just flying all around him.

##vote spoonsy

Either bif is town and I trust her reads generally or she’s scum and spoonsy’s a bus

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

sandnavyguy posted:

Steak we are not at lylo. That is an argument once we get past at least what, D3?

Let someone else shoot him when we have multiple vigs/PR to spare.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

t a s t e posted:

##vote spoonsy

Either bif is town and I trust her reads generally or she’s scum and spoonsy’s a bus

Haha I Iike this logic a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

sandnavyguy posted:

The scumteams are 3 people each, so we're at lylo with 9 people alive. It's far away.