Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm thinking about buying this bike. Tell me why I should or shouldn't! https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes-us/race-bikes/aeroad/aeroad-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2/2875.html?dwvar_2875_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK&quantity=1

I've been riding my old road bike quite a bit for the last month and I intend to continue riding a lot because I'm enjoying it. I'm still a novice cyclist but I'll want to go on long group rides and shoot for a fast ironman in a year or two and I don't want to buy a separate TT bike, I just want one bike man (aside from my existing bike which I'll convert for family riding). Aero bars are available for the H36 cockpit but they are currently out of stock.

My coworker is telling me to look at this Specialized bike instead so I don't get the stinkeye at the local bike shop. I'm not totally convinced.

Edit: My coworker also said if he were dropping the money he would instead buy this $2200 bike and use Enve's wheel upgrade program to get some nicer wheels for an additional ~$2k. Seems crazy to me to downgrade to 105 groupset and alloy frame.

As someone who

a) has an Aeroad

and

b) is going to be one of four people in the UK with a size 61 Tarmac SL7 by the end of August:

The Aeroad is a great bike, and in the year or so since I got my Aeroad from the Canyon Outlet section I've put a good few thousand k on it. HOWEVER. It's still essentially the bike that came out in 2014, which means the frame/fork is not going to be as light, as aerodynamic, as integrated*, as stiff as the Tarmac. But you do get nicer wheels on it, so if you're not planning to upgrade further it'll probably be a faster bike? HOWEVER HOWEVER there's a new Aeroad coming out very shortly (it's been in Zwift adverts under Matthew van der Poel since January, but there's reason to believe it's actually coming soon) which means both that there'll be a new, faster version to consider but also the Outlet will be full of the old variety (which is how I got an Aeroad SLX 9.0 Di2 Disc for about the same price as the frame for the S-Works Tarmac SL7).

Are you wanting to use aero bars? If so, the Aeroad is not really an option for that, as it has a carbon integrated stem/handlebar which isn't strong enough for them. The Tarmac's Aerofly2 won't take clip-ons either (although Specialized do have a weird stem mounted one which apparently is kinda ok if not really that good) but it does just use a standard stem/bar interfacey bit, so you can put something else on comparatively easily.

Finally, don't buy Enves. Most of the cost is the branding of having a super expensive wheel. You can get something just as good - if not better - from DT Swiss/Swiss Side at half the price.

*Having the di2 junction in the seat post is a slightly weird decision compared to its position in the down tube/on a bar end (ala a Dogma or a Madone), but it's infinitely preferable to having the under-stem version of old, which is hidden on the Aeroad but you have to bend a piece of plastic to get access to charge it, and I always feel like I'm going to break it.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
ferrychat: helpful instructions for those times you're mid-ride, on a ferry, and nuclear war suddenly breaks out

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Finally, don't buy Enves. Most of the cost is the branding of having a super expensive wheel. You can get something just as good - if not better - from DT Swiss/Swiss Side at half the price.

*Having the di2 junction in the seat post is a slightly weird decision compared to its position in the down tube/on a bar end (ala a Dogma or a Madone), but it's infinitely preferable to having the under-stem version of old, which is hidden on the Aeroad but you have to bend a piece of plastic to get access to charge it, and I always feel like I'm going to break it.

Agree with this advice, especially if you're deciding on race wheels, wait until you know if it makes sense to run a disc instead, because if the conditions allow for it, a disc will make more difference than any of the cable routing or truncated tube whatnots.

Also I hadn't noticed that di2 junction location - weird. I guess you have to take the saddle bag off every time to charge it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm not hip to bike fashion, but I thought the black/black Canyon with deep section wheels was among the best looking bikes I've seen over the last few days. The two Specialized bikes don't look that great to me :shrug:

The only person who needs to care about your bikes looks is you.

Despite writing a load of text a post or two ago, remember that the differences between them are pretty small at the end of the day - a handful of watts. Over a full Ironman it'll add up, sure, but it's still not that much, especially if you find one bike exciting and fun to ride and another not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Also I hadn't noticed that di2 junction location - weird. I guess you have to take the saddle bag off every time to charge it?

They have it that way on the (now discontinued) Venge too. I guess in theory it's more protected there than in the bar end, and easier to manufacture than in the downtube? Or they're just being weird.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I'd like to get a wheel upgrade on the wife's bike. Does anyone have recommendations for something < $500, rim-brake, preferably kinda light and accommodating of 28mm tires?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hawkline posted:

I'd like to get a wheel upgrade on the wife's bike. Does anyone have recommendations for something < $500, rim-brake, preferably kinda light and accommodating of 28mm tires?

What has she got at the moment?

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What has she got at the moment?
Mavic Aksiums

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Canyon bike looks sort of cool but yeah black/black is kind of eh

the blue one looks SUPER cool tho blue is my favorite color

anyone speculate on how much the price bump has been due to covid?

edit: I don't know poo poo about race bikes but this one has the di2 and looks cool https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...rCode=red_black

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 29, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When I was a new cyclist I thought all blacked out stealth bikes were cool as gently caress.

Now many years later I think they are kinda boring and all same looking, give me some color!

But who cares what we think, get what you think looks cool because if you think it's cool you will ride it more and that's all that matters!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I know it sounds a bit dumb, but I feel like you don't really get a whole lot more at $500 over a $300 wheelset.
Like, staying in the same product family, you could go to a Ksyrium, which will save a whopping... 200g for the whole wheelset, and get you tubeless compatibility, but with tubeless for 28mm tires is... idk, only barely worth the hassle imo. The wheels won't ride materially differently.
$500 to save 200g is kinda meh I think.
You could get the Campy Zonda wheelset from bike24 for https://www.bike24.com/p2184286.html?menu=1000,4,123 about $400 shipped, which would save you 340g and get you a weird neat spoke pattern. Still more than $1/gram, which, oof.

You could also get these carbon-with-alu brake track wheels, which are only very slightly lighter than her current wheels, but are aero at 42mm deep. https://www.bike24.com/p2227942.html?menu=1000,4,123

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you can find a cheaper-than-RRP pair of DT Swiss PR1600's they'll actually be a meaningful improvement, but the RRP is more like $700 I think.

Mavic Aksiums are a pretty decent wheel set, I was running them as training wheels for a bit (before I sold the bike they came on).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Imo never buy wheels you can't afford to replace

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Imo never buy wheels you can't afford to replace

Or bike stuff in general (unless you have insurance - my insurance has paid for itself for the next 3 years when I crashed my Cube Agree back in October)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Guinness posted:

When I was a new cyclist I thought all blacked out stealth bikes were cool as gently caress.

Now many years later I think they are kinda boring and all same looking, give me some color!

But who cares what we think, get what you think looks cool because if you think it's cool you will ride it more and that's all that matters!

It was a reaction to the 2000/early 2010s thing of bike companies cramming every spot on their bike possible with logos or swooping lines. Like with many backlash trends, it was neat at the start but now looks generic.

The current look seems to be either that or the "billboard" look where the entire bike is a solid color and is completely devoid of detailing, writing, or even the model name, with the exception of a massive brand decal on the downtube. The Trek Madone is the king of this look and I hate it.

Basically make bikes look like this again

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The current look seems to be either that or the "billboard" look where the entire bike is a solid color and is completely devoid of detailing, writing, or even the model name, with the exception of a massive brand decal on the downtube. The Trek Madone is the king of this look and I hate it.

Good news! Hideous bikes are back in fashion!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Strange way to spell awesome

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:popeye:

it won't count until people go full 80s and make this a normal non-special edition paint job though

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FogHelmut posted:

Thinking about them triple cranks.

Going down to a 30 from my 34 on my double would probably lose me some of those nice middle gears. A 50-39-30 sounds good, but a 50-39-28 sounds even better. That would be a custom job probably and I don't know how that's going to screw with everything else that's connected to the chain.
Look into Willow "triplizer" chainrings. I think they're out of production but they still surface on eBay from time to time. The "middle" chainring takes the place of the double's inner and provides a new set of holes for the new inner to mount to. I have a 130 bcd 40/29 pair that I was going to use on my ex's Arabesque crank. :rip:

And yeah, you'll almost certainly need a new bottom bracket, front derailleur, probably a rear derailler, and definitely a chain.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willow-Chainring-Triplizer-39-30t-135-Campagnolo-74-BCD-double-into-triple-NOS-/274194847896

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
I think an Andel crankset is cheaper than that if you don't have a really cool crankset.

FogHelmut posted:

Thinking about them triple cranks.

Going down to a 30 from my 34 on my double would probably lose me some of those nice middle gears. A 50-39-30 sounds good, but a 50-39-28 sounds even better. That would be a custom job probably and I don't know how that's going to screw with everything else that's connected to the chain.

What is your current drivetrain?

I run a 44/34/24 right now using standard 10-speed 105 triple stuff, including a GS RD and STIs. I run a 11-32 cassette. That's a 41T capacity and it almost certainly has more in it.
Shimano claims that a 5700GS or 6700GS can handle a 22 Tooth difference, so 50-28 is do-able and shimano is notoriously conservative. (They also claim my max cassette is 11-28 and capacity is 39).

If you have friction shifters, you can get even more range, I ran a 52-42-22 on my old touring bike, but I had an SGS MTB RD.

If you have a short cage RD (SS), you will need a new RD. You will need a new FD and new shifters unless you're in friction land. You'll probably want a new cage. You can't do 11-speed unless you want to do some weird bar-con thing or find some of the really weird XT 3-11 stuff I'm sure they sold 10 copies of.

FWIW, my ungodly expensive custom touring bike has Andel RSC6s, which are cheap as hell, come without rings (so you can customize them), and do a good job. You can even look for Surly LHT takeoffs cause that's what they came with for years. Any bike shop can get them from QBP as arms only. Their rings are mostly fine too and again, cheap. Its 110/76mm 5 bolt, so there is basically every ring size.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 29, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Its all Tiagra 4700. 50/34 up front, 10 speed 11-34 in back. Looking at the specs, I'll definitely need a new front shifter and new front derailleur. I can probably keep the rear - they claim that the 3 speed front is only good with the 11-32 rear, but many people have put a 11-36 rear on the 2 speed front with no issues.

gently caress it, I'll just take steroids.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

FogHelmut posted:

The spirit of professional cycling lives within you

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was a reaction to the 2000/early 2010s thing of bike companies cramming every spot on their bike possible with logos or swooping lines. Like with many backlash trends, it was neat at the start but now looks generic.

Basically make bikes look like this again

I might be the only one, but I absolutely love this obnoxious nonsense:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's a cool paint job but Trek discovering that they can extend the logo to the headtube to make it even more massive is the most ominous development in cycling since the press fit BB.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's a cool paint job but Trek discovering that they can extend the logo to the headtube to make it even more massive is the most ominous development in cycling since the press fit BB.

yeah the trek women's team paint owns but TREK

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FogHelmut posted:

Its all Tiagra 4700. 50/34 up front, 10 speed 11-34 in back. Looking at the specs, I'll definitely need a new front shifter and new front derailleur. I can probably keep the rear - they claim that the 3 speed front is only good with the 11-32 rear, but many people have put a 11-36 rear on the 2 speed front with no issues.

EPO.

I'm pretty sure you can get away with a 22 tooth front difference and at least a 34. Assuming you have the GS, you have 41 teeth of stated capacity. I'd have no worries about 45.
Shimano claims a 20T on the FD, but I bet it can pull an extra 2 teeth. Small chain rings are cheap and because they don't need any ramping you can buy the cheapest poo poo to see if it works.
You want to set up the chain to be long enough to be find for big-big. You may get some issues at small-small, particularly if you run a 36, but simple solution is never run small-small.

I got the very slightest hits of issues on my 52-42-22 setup on small-small, though that could be b-screwed away with some sacrifice in RD precision. Easier to just never go small-small.

I don't know the indexing on front tiagra 10 speed, but if it works with 5700/6700 10 speed shimano fronts (it won't work with 10 speed shimano rear), a FD-6703 would make sure it works and they're cheap as hell on ebay.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 29, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Busted out the fixie for the first time in a couple weeks or so after giving the chain some grease, only to realize once I got home that somehow the clamp for the rear brake cable had loosened and if I pulled the handle all the way the brake cable just slid right through. Good reminder to actually check brakes from time to time...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

nm posted:

^^^^^^
I think an Andel crankset is cheaper than that if you don't have a really cool crankset.
Oh, hmm, maybe I misread the original post as wanting to convert a double crank into a triple.

Anyway I'm doing the opposite: taking a Sugino Impel triple, dropping the two smaller chainrings, and putting a Wolftooth 29t on for 42/29. The chainring cost more than the whole crankset. I am very smart.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nm posted:

EPO.

I'm pretty sure you can get away with a 22 tooth front difference and at least a 34. Assuming you have the GS, you have 41 teeth of stated capacity. I'd have no worries about 45.
Shimano claims a 20T on the FD, but I bet it can pull an extra 2 teeth. Small chain rings are cheap and because they don't need any ramping you can buy the cheapest poo poo to see if it works.
You want to set up the chain to be long enough to be find for big-big. You may get some issues at small-small, particularly if you run a 36, but simple solution is never run small-small.

I got the very slightest hits of issues on my 52-42-22 setup on small-small, though that could be b-screwed away with some sacrifice in RD precision. Easier to just never go small-small.

I don't know the indexing on front tiagra 10 speed, but if it works with 5700/6700 10 speed shimano fronts (it won't work with 10 speed shimano rear), a FD-6703 would make sure it works and they're cheap as hell on ebay.

I know my front derailleur is 2 speed, but I gotta click that shifter twice to move it down once.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

FogHelmut posted:

I know my front derailleur is 2 speed, but I gotta click that shifter twice to move it down once.

Your FD adjustment/cable tension is off dude, mine used to do that too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Any chance you're just not aware of the trim positions on most road shifters? There are 4 possible position selections with a modern road double shifter, used to get rid of chain rub on the FD cage when cross chaining.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Di2 forever thank god no more manual trim

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

EvilJoven posted:

Any chance you're just not aware of the trim positions on most road shifters? There are 4 possible position selections with a modern road double shifter, used to get rid of chain rub on the FD cage when cross chaining.

In my case yes I am, I just suck at setting up my FDs. I currently have two extreme small ring selections and a single big ring selection (trim does nothing in big ring).

I'll get it right one of these days but it works the way I need it to.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’m in the market for a bike to ride with my wife who just picked up a new Journeyman. I’ve found an older (‘09) Stigmata that fits the bill at $750 with a grip of goodies but he ran too fat tires at some point and hosed up the chainstay pretty good. I’m a chunk monster at 260, how bad is this and am I going to die if I ride this bike?

https://imgur.com/a/AftlTAT

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

BeastPussy posted:

In my case yes I am, I just suck at setting up my FDs. I currently have two extreme small ring selections and a single big ring selection (trim does nothing in big ring).

I'll get it right one of these days but it works the way I need it to.

Sometimes the combination of chainstay length and chainline means a trim position is essentially vestigial. Seen it a few times where one of the trim positions of a perfectly set up drivetrain has little to no real effect. You should still see some movement in the mech though, even if it isn't needed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This would imply they were ever out of fashion :colbert:

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

I’m in the market for a bike to ride with my wife who just picked up a new Journeyman. I’ve found an older (‘09) Stigmata that fits the bill at $750 with a grip of goodies but he ran too fat tires at some point and hosed up the chainstay pretty good. I’m a chunk monster at 260, how bad is this and am I going to die if I ride this bike?

You will probably not die, but I would not ride that bike, and I sure would not pay money for it. That's saying something because otherwise it takes basically no convincing to sell me a bike.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

https://www.instagram.com/your_allez_is_overpriced/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Yes a good chance. My high and low limits are set correctly and I don't know what's happening in between there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Quite A Tool posted:

Nah man, at 260 you want a bike that can clear some competent rubber, and the old aluminum stigmatas were straightup cx bikes with like 35mm clearance tops.

Just get yourself a journeyman or something along those lines - it's a thread default suggestion for a reason. Or tell us why a journeyman for yourself isn't a good call and we can make better suggestions.