Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eh, the frames aren't expensive, but it's always a challenge finding Gitane frames in my size (59-62cm st c-c) that aren't gaspipe (i.e., are Reynolds 531 Tour de France or Olympic/Super Olympic) and that have "good" dropouts - preferably Huret honeycombs, but Campagnolo would also be okay. The Reynolds frames aren't light by today's standards but the straight gauge ones are heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

rope kid posted:

Longshot, but does anyone have experience with early- to mid-70s Gitane TdFs or Olympics? I have a stupid idea I can't let go of and it involves a 650b conversion on an old Gitane. I'd like to know what the 700c max widths are at the fork and chainstays.

Hmm, maybe I should add a Gitane section to the OP.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 12, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bicievino posted:

Yeah, it didn't tickle me personally but I dislike red, and just can't stop thinking it'd look better if it were just the blue/teal of the rear triangle.
But, people like different colors, so if you dig it, of those three I would *absolutely* go for the Specialized. The Canyon is super dated at this point, and Trek makes cop bikes.

I would ask 'em about how hard it's gonna be to do clip-on aerobars though... I haven't seen anything about that, and I know with some bars it's just straight up not a thing (even when advertised as such - ask e.pilot about the clipons for his giant propel).

The current Aeroad handlebars CANNOT be used with clip ons, not even the ones canyon made for the old aeroad. They're just too fragile.

You can get pseudo-clip ons for both Trek and Specialized, but tbh if it's something I was going for I'd put some decent round bars on the Tarmac and then the clip-on world is my oyster. Benefits of having a normal shaped stem.

[edit]

Also there's a new aeroad coming January February June July August at some point soon

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I do wonder why more folks don't make a stem-mounted aero bar, like this: https://www.controltechbikes.com/products/item/383.html

Seems like it would solve a lot of problems.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There’s no standard for stem outer diameter.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The current Aeroad handlebars CANNOT be used with clip ons, not even the ones canyon made for the old aeroad. They're just too fragile.

You can get pseudo-clip ons for both Trek and Specialized, but tbh if it's something I was going for I'd put some decent round bars on the Tarmac and then the clip-on world is my oyster. Benefits of having a normal shaped stem.

[edit]

Also there's a new aeroad coming January February June July August at some point soon

The Madone’s “clip ons” are a replacement faceplate for the stem, then you can mount the Speed Concept hardware on it (either with their proprietary bars or a more traditional adapter.)

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

bicievino posted:

Probably impossible to test ride, but if you're looking at Canyon maybe that isn't a dealbreaker.
You might also consider this Orbea: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/road/orca/cat/orca-m20iteam

In contrast to Trek, the cop-bike-sellers, Orbea is a neat employee-owned cooperative.
They've also got a custom paint scheme like Trek but more reasonably priced.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added this M20ltd to my list. I'm perplexed by just about every bike manufacturers model names, but I can't figure out why the M20/M20ltd frame is more aero than the M20iTeam. I can't figure out why I might prefer one of those frames over the other except that the white paint job is super nice and "more aero = more good".

Is this a case of paying for the wheels + aero frame on the M20ltd @ $5000 vs paying for Di2 + lightweight frame on the M20iTeam @ $4500?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kimbo305 posted:

There’s no standard for stem outer diameter.

Also while it's no longer the case due to frame/bar end/seat post junctions, the Di2 junction box made fitting things around stems difficult.

Andy Dufresne posted:

Is this a case of paying for the wheels + aero frame on the M20ltd @ $5000 vs paying for Di2 + lightweight frame on the M20iTeam @ $4500?

The "aero frame" on the M20LTD is lighter than the "lightweight frame" on the Team. Not by much in the grand scheme of things (130g or so) but quite a bit for frames. The OMX on the LTD will also be a bit stiffer than the OMR on the team. [edit] OMX and OMR are the names for the different frames on the respective bikes. The OMX is the top end one, the OMR the lower (but still good) one.[/edit]

It looks like about $1000 to get Di2 vs mechanical on those bikes, so it's entirely up to you what your priority is. They'll both be great bikes.

The aero differences are going to come through things like the shape of the tubes that are difficult to see side on, but it's mostly obvious on the seat post and seat tube. The more aero one is a lot more blocky, less round.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 12, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Andy Dufresne posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added this M20ltd to my list. I'm perplexed by just about every bike manufacturers model names, but I can't figure out why the M20/M20ltd frame is more aero than the M20iTeam. I can't figure out why I might prefer one of those frames over the other except that the white paint job is super nice and "more aero = more good".

Yeah it's super opaque.

I think the M20ltd (an OMX frame) is both higher mod carbon, and different tube shapes (incl. D-shaped post, etc), while the M20iTeam is a bit less aero. In retrospect yeah the more aero biek is probably more in line with what you're looking for, so it's a higher pricepoint to get ultegra di2 versus the other ones on your list.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I'm probably going to move on from my China carbon no name bike I built in 2014, I think Giant's new TCR Advanced Pro is pretty compelling for its price point, especially in the mechanical ultegra build. It even comes with installed power meters. The Orca is a very pretty bike too, but it looks like according to their website you'll be at least waiting until December for one of the ltd builds.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

This might be better suited for the mtb thread but if I get black mold in my hydration bag is it a goner? Its an osprey 85 oz bag if that makes a difference.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I've heard people say a combo of bleach/baking soda/vinegar will sort things out, but those things have so many nooks and crannies (particularly in the hose) that I'd personally feel a lot safer just grabbing a new one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bad News: :saddowns:
Racmmer communication sucks, at the rate it was going of one message a day this wasn’t going to happen for a long time.

Good News: :downs:
I dug through ali express and found another vendor that has really similar looking jerseys with the nicer arm cuffs and fabric. Their sizing charts are the same as well.

Better News: :haw:
They also have bibs and hats.

Even Betterer News: :madmax:
Orders are open. :w00t:

So here is how this will go down, I have to make one large order and and have it shipped to me, I will then ship out the kits to everyone.
Final cost should be around $35-65 shipped depending on what your order.
I will ship with priority flat rate envelopes, shipping cost will be a bit more if you are outside of the US.

Kit and hat prices are here:
DO NOT ORDER FROM HERE THIS IS SO YOU CAN SEE THE PRICES ONLY
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32492346631.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001110300703.html
DO NOT ORDER FROM HERE THIS IS SO YOU CAN SEE THE PRICES ONLY

Fill out this form for what you’d like to order: :homebrew:
https://forms.gle/VaPigc3e7Sar31FKA
Don’t pay attention to the weights on the sizing chart, they’re hilariously wrong (ex: I am 6’ 84kg and wear a large)
If in doubt, order a size up from your normal US size and accept that it may be more of a club fit

Just fill it out more than once if you want more than one set.
I will contact everyone that orders via email with a total price and my paypal or venmo as orders are submitted via the google form.

:choco:!!!ORDERS CLOSE OUT AND PAYPAL/VENMO MUST BE RECEIVED AT MIDNIGHT ZULU TIME ON THE 25TH!!!:choco:
(afternoon of the 24th for USA time zones).

I will be placing the order with Barton the following morning, so make sure payment is to me before then.

Disclaimer: The images below are just preview images, these are china kits and I assume no responsibility for their printing quality and potential asian sizing quirks, if you have ordered china kits before you should know what you’re getting in to, while they’re good most of the time I cannot guarantee they will be 100% of the time, this is a lot of words to basically say no refunds unless something is grotesquely wrong
If you want to spend 4-5x as much I’d be happy to link you to my jakroo team store (where I made these designs)

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 12, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

First (order) post

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Done and submitted.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Oh hell yeah.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm not sure which size chart to follow - the one on the ali page or the one on google doc?

code:
Size(cm)		S		M		L		XL		2XL		3XL	
Jersey Chest		98		102		108		112		116		120
google doc

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 12, 2020

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Just to be clear because I'm a dummy, on the order form we have the option of either bib shorts (with the shoulder straps) or regular shorts (without the shoulder straps)?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

I assume no responsibility for their printing quality and potential asian sizing quirks, if you have ordered china kits before you should know what you’re getting in to, while they’re good most of the time I cannot guarantee they will be 100% of the time, this is a lot of words to basically say no refunds unless something is grotesquely wrong

I take this to mean that if you get shipped a box of live raccoons, you'll try to get a refund for us, but otherwise, we're getting our kits and living with them?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
If we get raccoons I don't need a refund I'm keeping it. :3:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PabloBOOM posted:

If we get raccoons I don't need a refund I'm keeping it. :3:

Bicycle Megathread 5: everyone gets rabies

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Andy Dufresne posted:

Just to be clear because I'm a dummy, on the order form we have the option of either bib shorts (with the shoulder straps) or regular shorts (without the shoulder straps)?

yes

kimbo305 posted:

I take this to mean that if you get shipped a box of live raccoons, you'll try to get a refund for us, but otherwise, we're getting our kits and living with them?

more or less, like if the print is just inexcusably horrendously unrecognizable bad or the larges fit like extra smalls or something real egregious

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Would anyone be interested if there were women's cuts options? I can volunteer to try to set up a similar group order if 1) there's interest 2) I can get an Aliexpress vendor to do the women's custom design.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Would anyone be interested if there were women's cuts options? I can volunteer to try to set up a similar group order if 1) there's interest 2) I can get an Aliexpress vendor to do the women's custom design.

My wife needs some more cycling kit. You could put me down for one.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

My wife's interested in a jersey and bibs.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I’d be in for a bib/shorts. The xxxl doesn’t even fit my hips :lol:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

For a point of reference I’m 6’ 85kg and wear a large

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just to clarify, I’m female, hips are 40 inches around, waist is 33, so I think a woman’s cut would be better unless it’s super stretchy. I always get a chuckle out of “Asian sizing” since I’m Asian and I fit the small in the chart perfectly for the jersey but can never find pants

Gonna be the best dressed errand biker on a folding bike around

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Those size measurements have me all kinds of unsure. My actual chest measures 38", so 98 cm would be just tight to the tiniest bit loose. On one chart that's a S and on another that's a M. I'm tempted to get a S and say it'll either be about like all my other stuff fits or skin tight, either of which I'm okay with. For the bibs I'm probably going with M since that what I am in old Pearl Izumi P.R.O. In-R-Cool stuff. My only worry there is the thighs stretching enough. The M measures 14.5" around and my quad's about 21" and that seems like a lot of stretch to ask. I'm almost certainly overthinking it and should just get mediums.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rode a road bike today and it was weird compared to my hybrid, then again I was going up hills so there is that

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I have no idea if I should even post this here but ehh, whatever, it's still bikes.

This Saturday morning at 9am Hawaiian time I'm gonna ride 100 miles on Zwift, and livestream it on Twitch to raise money for a local emergency fund here in Hawaii for sex workers or those who have previous been in sex work and are in danger of returning to it due to Covid-related hardships. More info about my plans the fund in this video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/708582540

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Road my bike after trying to true my own wheel for the first time.

I don't know if I made it straight, or if I made it a wiggly snake with fewer big wiggles but many small wiggles.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I had this same thought and then realized that for the price, I can afford to gently caress it up and just went with an XL for shits and giggles.

Big butt big thighs big problems oh well

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I signed up for a medium jersey since I'm in between sizes on both charts and this way I can at least get it on. If it's too big I'll just get fat :getin:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

If it's too big I'll just get fat :getin:
:hmmyes:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Just to clarify, I’m female, hips are 40 inches around, waist is 33, so I think a woman’s cut would be better unless it’s super stretchy. I always get a chuckle out of “Asian sizing” since I’m Asian and I fit the small in the chart perfectly for the jersey but can never find pants

Gonna be the best dressed errand biker on a folding bike around

I'm male, hips are 42 inches around, waist is 34. Not saying a women's cut won't be better for you, but these will be super stretchy.
Most of the time women's cut means only two things: shorter jersey length, and shorter leg length. Sometimes it means a different pad shape, but not always - dunno if that'd be the case with these AliExpress vendors.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hybrids loving suck and can't do anything:
https://goo.gl/maps/NcjBfVEMmQ3XrDRx5

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Group ride this morning. We had an east tailwind on the way out. On the way back we had shelter from the trees off the shoulder.

We're all kinda :stare: about the times we're posting. This entire year has been stupid fast.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How do you clean a bike helmet? The padded liner on mine is held in with velcro so I throw it in the wash with my cycling clothes on the gentle cycle. But for the straps I don't know what to do except soak it in the sink with dish soap then scrub the straps with a brush.

Is there anything better/quicker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I soak it in the sink and immediately go ride with it for extra cooling :c00lbert: