Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

new kit day :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sweet pics.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im at work :colbert:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I finally made a decision and put a deposit on a Kona Rove DL!

Now I just have to wait 5-10 weeks for it to arrive :(

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Korwen posted:

I finally made a decision and put a deposit on a Kona Rove DL!

Now I just have to wait 5-10 weeks for it to arrive :(

It's a good bike, Brent

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ElMaligno posted:

Got my pedals today! :unsmith:

But i dont have a size 8 hex key or grease fo it... :smith:

But i can get those local! :unsmith:

But there was only one cleat (and assorted screws, spacers and stuff) in the box... :smith:

But REI is sending me some free cleats! :unsmith:

and they arrive next month :negative:
This story was a real rollercoaster

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

spf3million posted:

This story was a real rollercoaster

A coworker has extra crankbrother/SPD cleats and is gonna give me some of em tomorrow. Other than that he talked about the two day Seattle to Portland 206 mile bike ride and im just staring at him.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I ordered a Garmin smartwatch to replace my dying fitbit and decided to throw in a somewhat futureproof bike computer ("head unit"?) so I'm already in the position where the bike accessories cost much more than the bike they'll be attached to. I realised about two minutes after clicking the buy button that I had no problem spending a bunch on gadgets but was antsy about bike prices despite that being the more important part, so I think my budget's gone up for the latter. Though I'm in less of a rush to upgrade now I'm riding something half-decent.

I didn't have much on my bike as a kid so I can't compare but LEDs, decent batteries and wireless connections must make life so much easier than it would have been a decade or two ago.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I used to time my rides with an hour glass before I got my Forerunner 305.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I moved house. I'm now close enough to the shops to ride a bike to\from and have actually kinda enjoyed biking around randomly.

I want to get into mountain biking. However I'm pretty terrible on a bike. I can ride upright buuuuut that's about it! I'm pretty unfit with some bad knees so I'm not exactly hitting trails before I get some basic skills going.

Standing up to pedal? God why? The bike accelerates so much faster when I do that and I find it difficult to control. Also I find pedalling to be a much more "jerky" sorta ride. Sucks for my knees too!

I generally steer with the handlebars. I can lean on the bike but that makes the bike turn way faster than I need to when riding around my neighbourhood.

Oh and the moment my chest isn't hovering over the frame like a big 'ole centerweight, I instantly feel out of balance. So shifting my weight on the bike to go over obstacles is a bit of a far goal at the moment.

Looking for advice on how to go from "can ride bike" to "could do a basic-rear end trail" would be great :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

H13 posted:

I generally steer with the handlebars. I can lean on the bike but that makes the bike turn way faster than I need to when riding around my neighbourhood.

A tip from motorcycling. You only steer with the handlebars, weight shift just helps it steer better. You also initiate turns by countersteering, turning the handlebars slightly in the opposite direction. Try it on a flat, wide bit of road, you'll see what I mean.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

H13 posted:

So I moved house. I'm now close enough to the shops to ride a bike to\from and have actually kinda enjoyed biking around randomly.

I want to get into mountain biking. However I'm pretty terrible on a bike. I can ride upright buuuuut that's about it! I'm pretty unfit with some bad knees so I'm not exactly hitting trails before I get some basic skills going.

Standing up to pedal? God why? The bike accelerates so much faster when I do that and I find it difficult to control. Also I find pedalling to be a much more "jerky" sorta ride. Sucks for my knees too!

Oh and the moment my chest isn't hovering over the frame like a big 'ole centerweight, I instantly feel out of balance. So shifting my weight on the bike to go over obstacles is a bit of a far goal at the moment.

Looking for advice on how to go from "can ride bike" to "could do a basic-rear end trail" would be great :)

this is a pretty good, short and fun series of videos on starting with mountainbiking by Seth from Seth's bikehacks, who is a good dude who makes good videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5S7V5NhM8JQoi8vhELX-9aYHmRtmCveT

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Recommendations on bike fit system/bike fitters? And bonus points if you know anyone in the Grand Rapids/West Michigan area. I'm down to throw a bike shop or individual a couple hundred bucks, but would also entertain "at home" systems - seems like I've seen some apps you can use??

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

amenenema posted:

Recommendations on bike fit system/bike fitters? And bonus points if you know anyone in the Grand Rapids/West Michigan area. I'm down to throw a bike shop or individual a couple hundred bucks, but would also entertain "at home" systems - seems like I've seen some apps you can use??

I'm Southeast and I'm sitting outside my fitter's business right now so I can throw some places if you want to travel. Otherwise my suggestion if you're spending major hours on the bike is to go in person. Preferably someone that is also a PT and that is active in the sport. The apps are fine until they're not.

I think slowtwitch keeps a directory of recommendations for fitters in each state. GR has a lot of riders so I bet there is a real nice place.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

regarding bike handling just watch vincenzo nibali bomb hills set to euro techno

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

moctopus posted:

I'm Southeast and I'm sitting outside my fitter's business right now so I can throw some places if you want to travel. Otherwise my suggestion if you're spending major hours on the bike is to go in person. Preferably someone that is also a PT and that is active in the sport. The apps are fine until they're not.

I think slowtwitch keeps a directory of recommendations for fitters in each state. GR has a lot of riders so I bet there is a real nice place.

Hey I'm in the SE as well. Who you got to recommend? Anyone in Georgia, land of the virus?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Coredump posted:

Hey I'm in the SE as well. Who you got to recommend? Anyone in Georgia, land of the virus?

Sorry I meant SE Michigan.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

moctopus posted:

Sorry I meant SE Michigan.

I'm bad at reading and posting.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:siren::siren::siren:
#TrashKit has shipped, and via DHL so it might actually
get here quickly

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Trash Miles women's jersey updates:
- yes, you can order bibs and jerseys
- cost looking around $40 for both; trying to nail down jersey-only prices
- i'm gonna do it the same way as e.pilot, where I get mailed everything in one shot from China, then mail myself, charging you for that mailing

The next step is for me to get the official quote, so I'm putting out the "here's what I plan to order" form:
https://forms.gle/De56Jm4v3oDjSz8X7
This is not final and non-committal, but I need the initial numbers to submit the quote request to Sedrick.
Those are not the final preview renders, which I'll get after quoting.

If you have multiple orders, just make multiple submissions.
I'll remind in a couple days.

:pray: please let there be only 5 or so orders.

Was hoping for more people to respond to this so I can finalize the quote :f5:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Baby's first tubeless.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

#TrashKit has shipped, and via DHL so it might actually
get here quickly

I assume these are going to you as one shipment then getting disbursed? What’s that last number?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I assume these are going to you as one shipment then getting disbursed? What’s that last number?

Yeah I’m shipping them out. That’s the tracking number to me.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

rope kid posted:

Baby's first tubeless.

Definitely get some tire plugs. I’ve had good success and it’s way faster than having to shove a tube in if you get a flat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

moctopus posted:

Slowtwitch isn't particularly accurate. They don't have the fitter I use, who is very popular locally.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yeah, except it’s my first jersey.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Regarding mountain biking, the best way to learn is to get out there. From what you’re saying, a great first step would be to get out on some smoother dirt and gravel paths and get used to what it feels like to ride and turn on dirt. Once you feel comfortable with riding smoother dirt trails I’d really recommend taking a clinic. There are a lot of skills and techniques that might seem awkward at first. A clinic is the best way to start off with good technique so you don’t have to unlearn bad habits.

We’ve got a mountain bike thread that’s generally pretty good and welcoming. If there are folks in your area, they might be able to recommend a specific clinic or some easier paths and trails to start out on.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Here’s a link to the MTB thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905&perpage=40&noseen=1#post506766777

Come ask questions and learn that mountain biking isn’t 100% like riding a motorcycle.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

There are a lot of good skill videos also on youtube, and just taking some time with markers like cones in a parking lot to practice turning on flat surfaces is pretty useful for mountain biking (really biking in general).

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I think people place too much value on form and not enough on spontaneity.

My best bike days were when I just said "gently caress it" and rode 60 miles.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there any reason why I can not convert my Canyon Aeroad's proprietary-integrated-ultra-special-stem-handlebar-combo into a traditional set-up with aftermarket parts? I'm still recovering from a back injury plus a small crash and so during 6+ hour rides I'd like to ride a little more upright while I heal. I'm maxed out on spacers so I'd like to commit the sin of having a positive rise on my stem.

Follow-up dumb question. Does the math work out conveniently that a -6 stem flipped to +6 would decrease drop by 12mm?

moctopus fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 29, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

tubs mount day 1

my DA C50 tubs have been stretching some veloflex roubaix for 2 years now, i intended to put these on my focus izalco max but i got hit by a car and that bike is now crunched, that suit is going to trial but i digress

i took a look at the wheels and they are in good shape (they wernt on the bike when i got smoked)

used a wheel stand and a heat gun and a custom made "tub scrapper" to scrape and smooth and remove excess glue from the surface

i also managed to get rid of those rattling boogers from the inside of the rear wheel

then i added fresh glue to both the rim and the tires and i wait until tomorrow to mount them

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 29, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If your compression plug just isn't satisfying you:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33039340532.html

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

moctopus posted:

Is there any reason why I can not convert my Canyon Aeroad's proprietary-integrated-ultra-special-stem-handlebar-combo into a traditional set-up with aftermarket parts? I'm still recovering from a back injury plus a small crash and so during 6+ hour rides I'd like to ride a little more upright while I heal. I'm maxed out on spacers so I'd like to commit the sin of having a positive rise on my stem.

None whatsoever, just going to be a massive faff if you have disc brakes because you'll need to disconnect the hoses.

moctopus posted:

Follow-up dumb question. Does the math work out conveniently that a -6 stem flipped to +6 would decrease drop by 12mm?

Sin(12 degrees) ~= 0.2, so for a 100m stem you're looking at about 2cm.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 29, 2020

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

None whatsoever, just going to be a massive faff if you have disc brakes because you'll need to disconnect the hoses.

Sin(12 degrees) ~= 0.2, so for a 100m stem you're looking at about 2cm.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Thank you! Yeah I got disc brakes. I'll live!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Just make sure you get a stem with the right (1 1/4") steerer.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

bicievino posted:

Just make sure you get a stem with the right (1 1/4") steerer.

Woah, just saved me. Thanks!

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah, except it’s my first jersey.

:hfive: got that same jersey, nice choice! Is it the legit one from Brainstorm?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Killswitch posted:

:hfive: got that same jersey, nice choice! Is it the legit one from Brainstorm?

Oh absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

moctopus posted:

Woah, just saved me. Thanks!

Yeah, Canyon and Giant (and maybe a few others?) use a 1 1/4" steerer. Not sure why, but at least availability is better than it was a few years ago.