Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spf3million posted:

Speaking of my next build

:getin:
god loving drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bud Manstrong posted:

dig this. is that the Wolf Tooth headset bling? if not, what is it?
Chris King mango. I have the matching mango hubs on my HED Belgian+ wheelset.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I did Mt Baldy today, it owned.

Were the smoke levels actually okay there? I've been sticking to the coast due to fires but might head toward Angeles if it's not that bad anymore

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Suicide Watch posted:

Were the smoke levels actually okay there? I've been sticking to the coast due to fires but might head toward Angeles if it's not that bad anymore

It’s hit or miss depending on the winds, this day was good.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The smoke levels weren't okay today. You gotta go as early as possible in the day or stick to indoor rides. Use this ArcGIS map along with PurpleAir if you aren't using them already.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Got my old tires off and the Gravel Kings on. Was easier than I thought it would be, didn’t even need any tools to remove the old ones and get the new ones on. Tape and valves looked good so I left that alone.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

did a merxck hour personal record, last five minutes felt like forever but i still wanted another 30 seconds or whatever to hit 38 kph, but alas im happy with how the ride went and im sure i can get some more distance if i try it again or start to get some better aero or find somewhere flatter (like a velodrome?) so i can find a steadier rhythm
https://www.strava.com/activities/4152264037/overview

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Got my old tires off and the Gravel Kings on. Was easier than I thought it would be, didn’t even need any tools to remove the old ones and get the new ones on. Tape and valves looked good so I left that alone.

it's strange, some tires are super easy and some are really frustrating. i think i spent 45 minutes trying to get my ebike's tire back on until i finally figured out the magical combination of tire lever positions. when it looks like there is just no way that bead is getting over that rim, you get pissed off, which makes it worse... at least i wasn't on the side of the road

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

did a merxck hour personal record, last five minutes felt like forever but i still wanted another 30 seconds or whatever to hit 38 kph, but alas im happy with how the ride went and im sure i can get some more distance if i try it again or start to get some better aero or find somewhere flatter (like a velodrome?) so i can find a steadier rhythm

That sounds pretty awful, but if you're gonna do it that looks like a good location.
Would going clockwise have been faster because of traffic interactions?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

It's a one way road.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

numberoneposter posted:

I gave a kudos

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

It's a one way road.

Dang, nice. Seems like a dang near perfect course then.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bicievino posted:

Dang, nice. Seems like a dang near perfect course then.
It's pretty good especially on the weekend, not many students or traffic. A few parents teaching their kids how to drive that I passed. My music motivation was Initial D Non-stop Mega Mix lol.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

spf3million posted:

I gave a kudos

I also gave a kudos and finally figured out who that person on my Strava feed was so it's double-good.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rapha X Palace collection is getting released Friday and lord help me but I'm about to spend several hundred pounds on a jersey with a duck on it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Rapha X Palace collection is getting released Friday and lord help me but I'm about to spend several hundred pounds on a jersey with a duck on it.

I just want the TT helmet and I will wear it on every ride.

E:

Link to a gallery of what will supposedly be available on Friday. RCC get early access but only if you’ve joined before the 4th.

https://hypebeast.com/2020/10/palace-rapha-collaboration-giro-d-italia-release-details

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 5, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Does the duck have a name?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

Howard.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

ducky mcduckface

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm going to do a bit of post whoring and cross post from the pictures thread. I finally did it. I can say I've done all of the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia. I've been riding chunks of it here and there starting sometime last year I believe. Maybe even further back then that. Did the last chunk finally. I started in Cedartown and I know that's not a long ride by any means but it was the last segment I hadn't done up to this point.

Also if you look at my cassette and derailleur you can see the Garbaruk long cage mod and my Sunrace 50t 11 speed cassette in action. I'm surprised I got it shifting right but it shifts pretty good and for some of the grades I can find around my area its a godsend to get gear inches in the low 20's as I'm still a big fucker.

Pics in Cedartown:

Somewhere along the trail:

At the border:

Officially in Alabama:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That looks like a very good bicycle ride.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

That looks like a very good bicycle ride.

The Silver Comet is a rails to trail path in Georgia. In other words they paved over where an old rail line used to run. Which means very little elevation change from Marietta until you get close to Rockmart. From Rockmart to Cedartown the trail no longer follows the old rail line so there are some surprising hills in that section. Then once you reach Cedartown its back to pretty much level again. Given the miles you and some other bike goons do here I'm sure some of you could blitz the 60 mile Georgia section in a day, if not to the border and back again.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Looks sweet. Love a rail trail.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

The Silver Comet is a rails to trail path in Georgia.

I'm sure some of you could blitz the 60 mile Georgia section in a day, if not to the border and back again.

A 60 mile day is a no joke long ride and that looks extremely pretty. If there's places to camp along the way it'd make a great overnighter just for the scenery.

Fall riding is the best riding, hands down.

Edit: speaking of fall riding Lord of the Bikes was last weekend and it was fun af. Decided to run my CX bike with two wheelsets for the CX and road portion and my MTB for the MTB portion. Wasn't trying to place, I just wanted to put some miles on em.

A buddy of mine and member of our cycling club asked if I wanted to form a team. I wasn't about to turn down riding with someone who wants to tag along during a no stakes fun run so I got a mutual friend I race CX with and we showed up for race day. The guy that asked me to team up is in his 60s and hasn't raced in decades but wanted to try and also made the decision to ride 50km into a prairie headwind to get to the venue :stare: so he was a bit of a handicap, but who cares!

The CX portion was super fun through the tape up until the CX ski track where it wasn't nearly as fun; half the fun of CX is the tight cornering. I slowed up a lot for my teammates, stopped to help a guy that pinch flatted and needed some bacon, blitzed a section and got a cup and had a ball. The road section was road, whatever, I got on the front and pulled.

MTB was super rooty, that course is taking some serious abuse. Swapping from my CX bike immediately to my MTB was weird as all hell. You don't notice how wallowy and upright even a hardtail is compared to a CX bike until you ride both back to back. I let the other fast guy on our team go ahead while I stuck with the other at a leisurely pace. Dude was riding his gravel bike through the entire thing and given he was 80 km in on a bike not meant for MTB and he was doing pretty well.

The best part about the event was we had everyone from people that race cat1 road to families who just wanted to give it a shot.

Overall 8/10 would ride it again. I ride with the race organizer so if they do it again I'll talk him into more tape and less XC ski trail and it'll be perfect. There should also be different categories for people running just one bike. I wanna see more people trying to navigate the MTB course on their Corsas or doing the TT section on their full sus.

Hopefully by next year theres a covid vaccine. We were all stoked to ride but the whole no hanging out no bbq party mask up and limit your time in transition zones made it less fun. Still, it was a great day.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 6, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

A 60 mile day is a no joke long ride and that looks extremely pretty. If there's places to camp along the way it'd make a great overnighter just for the scenery.

Fall riding is the best riding, hands down.

It's nice to not be downing gallons of water all day.

It was 80 F when I did that 102 mile day and I sweat so much I only urinated once on the entire ride.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Had a nice ride today

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

iospace posted:

Had a nice ride today

Gah, you couldn't have gone 7 minutes faster??

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bicievino posted:

Gah, you couldn't have gone 7 minutes faster??

I know I know. Mostly I was going down a new route for part so was taking it a bit slower.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

If you have been following my previous posts my GF is an ultra runner iron lady and wants to ride tomorrow so I'm just gonna take her on a hilly ride. Her watts per kilo is probably better than mine but she doesn't really know how to ride a bike, yet. I have a bunch of poo poo to do tomorrow, but I think a bike ride is in order.

Not to toot my own horn but I'm going to have to ease up on corners and fully flourish the apex to make a example. Maybe go back around and watch how she goes around the corners.

Should be fun, I really want her to be confident in corners.

Apr 7, 2003

New tires lost 20 psi overnight and I got worried but then they sealed up nice

lollin' that I was so worried about replacing some fuckin' rubber that I bought a compressor and stuff and posted about it for a week

Then again maybe that's why it was so easy, who knows

Next up, new bar tape

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm looking to order a Ripmo or a Hightower within the week and I'm stuck. I can buy the Hightower from a place just down the street or I can go buy the Ripmo from a spot about an hour away. Both are good shops. From what I've been reading, the Ripmo seems a slightly better bike, but the convenience of my LBS being a two minute walk for the Hightower seems also worthy of consideration.

Has anyone had experience with either to sway me towards one bike or the other?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eejit posted:

I'm looking to order a Ripmo or a Hightower within the week and I'm stuck. I can buy the Hightower from a place just down the street or I can go buy the Ripmo from a spot about an hour away. Both are good shops. From what I've been reading, the Ripmo seems a slightly better bike, but the convenience of my LBS being a two minute walk for the Hightower seems also worthy of consideration.

Has anyone had experience with either to sway me towards one bike or the other?

I have a new Hightower and there are people in the thread that have Ripmo V2s. I live in Colorado and have ridden on front range stuff (SSV, Longhorn, Mtn Lion, etc.) to bigger mountain rides (Kenosha, Wheelers/Miners Creek, etc.) and it's been great. Climbs very comfortably and is a blast going downhill. Happy to answer any questions you have. IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Modern AM bikes are really great.

Apr 7, 2003

Ripmo Farts

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Coredump posted:

I'm going to do a bit of post whoring and cross post from the pictures thread. I finally did it. I can say I've done all of the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia. I've been riding chunks of it here and there starting sometime last year I believe. Maybe even further back then that. Did the last chunk finally. I started in Cedartown and I know that's not a long ride by any means but it was the last segment I hadn't done up to this point.

Also if you look at my cassette and derailleur you can see the Garbaruk long cage mod and my Sunrace 50t 11 speed cassette in action. I'm surprised I got it shifting right but it shifts pretty good and for some of the grades I can find around my area its a godsend to get gear inches in the low 20's as I'm still a big fucker.

Pics in Cedartown:

Somewhere along the trail:

At the border:

Officially in Alabama:

Rad bike. I miss having rail trails like the east coast.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

vikingstrike posted:

I have a new Hightower and there are people in the thread that have Ripmo V2s. I live in Colorado and have ridden on front range stuff (SSV, Longhorn, Mtn Lion, etc.) to bigger mountain rides (Kenosha, Wheelers/Miners Creek, etc.) and it's been great. Climbs very comfortably and is a blast going downhill. Happy to answer any questions you have. IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Modern AM bikes are really great.

Yeah I live in Basalt (near Aspen) and I'm looking for something to handle my local stuff, which is extremely varied, while also being fun in the desert (Grand Valley, Moab). I'm currently on a 2015? Giant Anthem 29er that's been frankenbiked for trail service and I realllllllly need to upgrade.

My biggest question about the Hightower and the only reason I'm not immediately pulling the trigger is that some reviews say it's a bit sluggish when going slow, which is me because I'm somewhere between intermediate and advanced, and that it can be a bit funky on tech climbing, which is one of my weaker areas. Also a few people have said it's a bit front heavy. I do A LOT of up on my bike and I like to take it a bit slower when working through downhill obstacles, how do you think the Hightower would work for me?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

iospace posted:

I know I know. Mostly I was going down a new route for part so was taking it a bit slower.

I would 100% crop that ride to get it a bit closer

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eejit posted:

the convenience of my LBS being a two minute walk for the Hightower seems also worthy of consideration.

For buying or future maintenance?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

kimbo305 posted:

For buying or future maintenance?

Maintenance if I need it I guess. Also fitting it when it comes in.

More of if I can walk almost next door and don't have to drive to Eagle that's a plus.

Apr 7, 2003

having a bike store two minutes away seems like a great way for me to lose my money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Eejit posted:

Yeah I live in Basalt (near Aspen) and I'm looking for something to handle my local stuff, which is extremely varied, while also being fun in the desert (Grand Valley, Moab). I'm currently on a 2015? Giant Anthem 29er that's been frankenbiked for trail service and I realllllllly need to upgrade.

My biggest question about the Hightower and the only reason I'm not immediately pulling the trigger is that some reviews say it's a bit sluggish when going slow, which is me because I'm somewhere between intermediate and advanced, and that it can be a bit funky on tech climbing, which is one of my weaker areas. Also a few people have said it's a bit front heavy. I do A LOT of up on my bike and I like to take it a bit slower when working through downhill obstacles, how do you think the Hightower would work for me?

If you're already on a 29er you probably won't mind. I demo'ed a Hightower this summer, and felt it was sluggish on local PNW lowland trails compared to my old as gently caress 26" Giant Trance. I'm planning on looking at more 27.5" models when inventory improves.