Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sorry to hear that, Rhyno. We're going through pretty dark times, and it's only going to get darker in the next few months :smith:

In other news: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/medicine-hat/1999-bmw-540i-automatic/1539976699

There she is again. That's the 6th? owner in 2000kms/5ish years since i sold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Condolences, Rhyno. :sympathy:

Powershift posted:

In other news: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/medicine-hat/1999-bmw-540i-automatic/1539976699

There she is again. That's the 6th? owner in 2000kms/5ish years since i sold it.

We should start throwing this thing around between Canadian AI goons until either someone finally fixes it properly or it becomes actually completely undriveable and gets a final send-off to Valhalla.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm going to give it a week, then throw him a lowball offer with a list of all the poo poo i know was broken when i sold it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry to hear that man. I'm kinda glad to be living with my dad for that reason. At least one of us will find the other.

Hey Lloyd, as the resident chopped roof Volvo expert, I found this for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502478&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1092#post510566587

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I'm going to give it a week, then throw him a lowball offer with a list of all the poo poo i know was broken when i sold it.

Think an LS will fit? They're cheap at pick n pull now, and you could probably palm one to shoplift it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Think an LS will fit? They're cheap at pick n pull now, and you could probably palm one to shoplift it.

The drivetrain was solid, apart from a little chain slap when cold. Everything else around it though was falling apart. I would bet all the cooling system needs is to be bled again, maybe replacing some of the garden hose bits going to the heater core.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

I'm literally planning on being in the hat tomorrow. Since with all the COVID poo poo I'm not going to be doing my typical business stuff as much as normal in the day I can look at it for ya so when you throw a lowball in a few weeks/months it'll have some legitimacy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine there's much to check out, it's done 2000kms and obviously had a bit of a shunt in the front.

This thing on the other hand... https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1985-lincoln/1537550146

I'm still waiting for a reply from the guy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

And I'm literally going to taber in 30 minutes LOL

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sorry to see that about your friend Rhyno, what an awful way to go.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Jesus, this year just won't stop making GBS threads on people. Sorry Rhyno

Darchangel posted:

As much as I hate conspiracy theories... it's either this, or the most accidental brilliance (for GOP goals) in history.

They did the math, saw the demographic shift of the country was never going to be in their favor, focused on state and local races while the DNC only looked national, redrew the voting districts because they controlled state and local, and ensured that they couldn't lose their seats, and then just kept pushing trickledown economics, privatisation, and austerity until the idea of those not being the norm became anathema to generations of people who grew up learning that that's how the world works. Cutting education was hugely detrimental, but it was a stepping stone in a decades long plan to own the states and throw enough wrenches into the federal government that nothing could be accomplished by any president
I wish I remembered the name of the key strategist behind this poo poo, he died in the past couple of years and had been orchestrating this poo poo since the 80's.... His daughter hated him and when she inherited all his poo poo, she published the details of how they'd planned to gain a death grip on power, no matter what the populous actually voted for. I think her actions gave the "gerrymandering by race" case enough evidence to win in the SCOTUS

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just had to pay the idiot tax. Apparently I forgot where I put the inside of the idle cut solenoid for the Niva. Also i know I have another solenoid which I have also misplaced. Just purchased another online.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I wish I remembered the name of the key strategist behind this poo poo, he died in the past couple of years and had been orchestrating this poo poo since the 80's.... His daughter hated him and when she inherited all his poo poo, she published the details of how they'd planned to gain a death grip on power, no matter what the populous actually voted for. I think her actions gave the "gerrymandering by race" case enough evidence to win in the SCOTUS

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/05/785672201/deceased-gop-strategists-daughter-makes-files-public-that-republicans-wanted-sea

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

My friend Kris died. We don't know how or what. I've been awake for 10 minutes and that's what I found out. She'll shocked.

Sorry to hear Rhyno.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

General_Failure posted:

Just had to pay the idiot tax. Apparently I forgot where I put the inside of the idle cut solenoid for the Niva. Also i know I have another solenoid which I have also misplaced. Just purchased another online.

So basically you've guaranteed you'll find it as soon as the new one arrives.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm sure most of you don't really care, but just want to share because I'm happy.

Before the latest covid lockdown where I live, we were able to squeak in a test for my martial art, traditional Taekwondo, before we closed for in person classes. It was a small test as only a relative handful of us eligible whom have been regularly been training during COVID times... due to work/family concerns which is fine and understandable.

Anyhow, got the results an hour ago and found out I passed - with an excellent score. Probably my best test score since I started. While I had a couple of critiques, my Master also gave me some strong praise which I certainly did not expect.

Anyhow, I am now a black stripe, next step is a full Dan Black. As long as we can get back into in-person classes in January, there is a chance I can formally contract for training and be able to test a year from now in early Dec 2021. It will be a very hard slog though.

Getting into a sport like this in your mid 40s is/was interesting, and gently caress me challenging in several ways.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

I'm sure most of you don't really care, but just want to share because I'm happy.

gently caress no that's an incredible achievement and you should be proud.

Guys, please share any good news like this, if its important to you share it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
congrats slidebite!

edit: god knows if we only post bad stuff it will be a very depressing thread. (this doesn't mean don't post bad stuff!! you should post whatever kind of stuff is going on for you!)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

*updates "can kick my rear end" column in goons.xls*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
SELECT * FROM Users

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

I got good news yesterday that my social security disability was approved.

I thought I'd be way happier about it, but it just kind of solidified that I'm officially disabled now :smith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I thought I'd be way happier about it, but it just kind of solidified that I'm officially disabled now :smith:

Honestly, though, we've know you as disabled for years. :unsmith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Exploring more and more of the dirt roads/"roads" around my apt.

Ruts dropped WAY the gently caress down, had to either back up around a tree-lined curve (and very likely get stuck if I stopped right there) or just hammer down, knowing where I'd come out. I'm dumb, so I did the latter. Pretty sure something got wrapped around one of the axles (or I blew up a diff), I have that "some rear end in a top hat put zip ties on one of your axles" noise going now. :argh: Car still drives fine though. Can't really get under the car to see, but I didn't have any business taking it down there anyway. 10/10 would do again.

Pretty sure it's a maintenance trail for the power company, though I found a lot of appliances that look suspiciously like the ones used in my apartment in the easier to get to areas. :sigh: Also multiple piles of shingles.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks! There are a few of us who are all adults and comparable rank and it's turned into a pretty amazing bonding experience. I highly recommend something like this, certainly nothing I would have ever seen myself do even 5 years ago.

STR posted:

Pretty sure it's a maintenance trail for the power company, though I found a lot of appliances that look suspiciously like the ones used in my apartment in the easier to get to areas. :sigh: Also multiple piles of shingles.
That poo poo pisses me off :mad:

:toot:

quote:

:(

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Welcome to the officially disabled gang buddy. Heres a tip to feel better:focus on what little good poo poo you get out of it or your brain will implode

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno - so sorry to hear about your friend.

AA, congrats and condolences? More congrats though, you finally have a resolution on this chapter so now you can focus on what the next part of life looks like.

It was upper 40's yesterday. We have only had one snowfall this winter and that was the week before Halloween. Generally speaking this is totally cool with me, but I do like the idea of a white christmas. With as many things that aren't "normal" this year it would be cool to have snow for Christmas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

They did the math, saw the demographic shift of the country was never going to be in their favor, focused on state and local races while the DNC only looked national, redrew the voting districts because they controlled state and local, and ensured that they couldn't lose their seats, and then just kept pushing trickledown economics, privatisation, and austerity until the idea of those not being the norm became anathema to generations of people who grew up learning that that's how the world works. Cutting education was hugely detrimental, but it was a stepping stone in a decades long plan to own the states and throw enough wrenches into the federal government that nothing could be accomplished by any president

Son of a bitch. Just... how is this not bigger news? You'd think if the "liberal media" was really liberal, they'd be all over this.

slidebite posted:

Before the latest covid lockdown where I live, we were able to squeak in a test for my martial art, traditional Taekwondo, before we closed for in person classes. It was a small test as only a relative handful of us eligible whom have been regularly been training during COVID times... due to work/family concerns which is fine and understandable.

Anyhow, got the results an hour ago and found out I passed - with an excellent score. Probably my best test score since I started. While I had a couple of critiques, my Master also gave me some strong praise which I certainly did not expect.

Anyhow, I am now a black stripe, next step is a full Dan Black. As long as we can get back into in-person classes in January, there is a chance I can formally contract for training and be able to test a year from now in early Dec 2021. It will be a very hard slog though.

Getting into a sport like this in your mid 40s is/was interesting, and gently caress me challenging in several ways.

I tried Hapkido in my 40s, and yeah, it was a workout, especially as I was ~275 pounds at the time. I only got to 3rd belt. Nice work!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Rhyno - so sorry to hear about your friend.

AA, congrats and condolences? More congrats though, you finally have a resolution on this chapter so now you can focus on what the next part of life looks like.

It was upper 40's yesterday. We have only had one snowfall this winter and that was the week before Halloween. Generally speaking this is totally cool with me, but I do like the idea of a white christmas. With as many things that aren't "normal" this year it would be cool to have snow for Christmas.

It dipped into the 40sF here in north TX, but it's forecast to be 77 today. Lately has been high 30s/low 40s at night, 60-70s day. Texas weather...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I've processed beyond blaming myself and now I'm focused on what I should be, blaming Republicans for letting this pandemic happen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Congrats, dude. Well deserved.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

Son of a bitch. Just... how is this not bigger news? You'd think if the "liberal media" was really liberal, they'd be all over this.

The same liberal media that took the bush admin claims of WMDs in Iraq at face value? It's more like corporate media than liberal media TBH. If it bleeds and thus sells ad copy views, it leads.

As always, "it's the economy, stupid". It took me far too long to realize that, but that's all it really boils down to. Money drives power.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Honestly, though, we've know you as disabled for years. :unsmith:

Ha! Touche!

jerk :v:

big dong wanter posted:

Welcome to the officially disabled gang buddy. Heres a tip to feel better:focus on what little good poo poo you get out of it or your brain will implode

Yeah I agree and I get that, I was being a little facetious there. It was just a bit of realization when my wife told me the news and I was just kind of like "yeah ok cool" and she expected me to be jumping for joy or something, "yay I'm on disability!" is not something that gets me excited :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Same here, I would rather be doing my part to contribute positively to society. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm in that boat as well. Having an actual meaningful job for the first time in my life has made me even hungrier to stay actively working. But I am suffering 2020 burnout. Kris's death was really the last straw and thank god I'd already applied for furlough. At 8am tomorrow I'm off work for a full month and I absolutely need to break and time to rest and heal.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So let me tell you a story about Carvana and a good bit of incompetency. I unfortunately crashed and totaled my previous car last month due to a very stupid accident wherein I have learned my lesson.

Once I got the insurance payout I found a decent looking 2015 Genesis 5.0 V8 on Carvana as a replacement and upgrade from the 2017 V6 I had and ordered it. I may have neglected to mention the engine change to my wife beyond “it’s the next trim level up!”

It arrived this last Tuesday and despite a noise from the right front at around 30mph, I accepted the delivery knowing there is the 7 day no questions return policy and Carvana short term warranty. I scheduled a service appointment and started that process for the repair. As I was looking through the glovebox as I was setting up the car, I ran across this and immediately canceled the appointment:

Nope, nope nope, this one is going back. Also real cool that it had a clear carfax and that I have PII of a previous owner. Good job not removing this from the glove box I guess. It was definitely the right front wheel bearing but who knows what other damage or tweaks occurred as a result. I tested it up to 110 and it was not as smooth as it is supposed to be.

Return is scheduled and a nearly identical car is scheduled for delivery next Thursday. As a bonus it is the same paint code as the previous car so I can use the same dr colorchip kit.

Here’s the other part of this failure. As I was trying to deal with the return and subsequent purchase/document validation, there were significant “computer issues, etc.” In talking with the CSR their application for doing their work from home is presented through Citrix. Given the descriptions I got of what was happening they were having some serious data center/application DB problems to include their hold music stopping to dead silence right at the last step where they were adding my wife to the title/registration.

Finally got it all sorted out today but what a pain in the rear end. Absolutely worth it though; the car is absolutely hilarious for a luxury sedan, drat the fuel economy. I’m legitimately scared of it and that is a good thing, I am going to need to respect the right pedal.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
So what was your text before you crashed?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My garage is clean enough to get 4 cars back in it. One has so much poo poo in front of it that you can't walk there, but hey. It's in. :unsmith:

My daughter's car is currently dehydrating in there, she still has a leak of some kind, most likely sunroof. Gonna just silicone it shut, she never uses it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

My garage is clean enough to get 4 cars back in it. One has so much poo poo in front of it that you can't walk there, but hey. It's in.

My daughter's car is currently dehydrating in there, she still has a leak of some kind, most likely sunroof. Gonna just silicone it shut, she never uses it.

Mine is such a loving mess there's just a hole the size of my car.

granted that means i could probably park 2 normal cars in it, but meh

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LloydDobler posted:

My garage is clean enough to get 4 cars back in it. One has so much poo poo in front of it that you can't walk there, but hey. It's in. :unsmith:

Whoa. There's zero clearance around two sides of one car in my garage, and just a squeaker in the third side. So kudos to you.

Granted the car is the Galaxie, which wouldn't have even fit in my last garage at all so it's still a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

LloydDobler posted:

a 4 car garage sounds like a dream.