Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MacPac posted:

riding in wet 3c conditions today, could taste the salt on the waterspray in my face. Arrived at work visibly grimy from other road sludge in my face :black101:
Mudguards are your friend. Except when they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I put big ol' rally mudflaps on my last cargo bike and I really should get around to doing it on my new one.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I almost didn't finish that sentence and wistfully thought, "Oh to live by the sea again!"

That's really gross and I'm sorry for you, but you're a warrior!

yeah the salty taste is all from road salt, it even gets on the the water bottles so every swig starts out real salty and weird.

I got mudguards, but my town has a lot of hills where i get enough speed to run into the water thrown away from me by the front wheel. Its not a huge hassle, just have to remember to take a look in a mirror when i arrive at work.

MacPac fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 12, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just think of it as free electrolytes.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CopperHound posted:

Mudguards are your friend. Except when they aren't.

Mudguards are never not your friend.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Groda posted:

Mudguards are never not your friend.
Let's just say there are a few edge cases where the mud is too much for them to handle.

They did a good job of keeping my water bottle clean clean until the wheels could no longer turn.

IDK if snow is capable of doing the same thing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MacPac posted:

I got mudguards, but my town has a lot of hills where i get enough speed to run into the water thrown away from me by the front wheel.
Is the water thrown off the front or back of the wheel?

If it is from the back, a giant mudflap that drat near drags on the ground does wonders.

E: like this

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 12, 2020

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CopperHound posted:

Let's just say there are a few edge cases where the mud is too much for them to handle.

They did a good job of keeping my water bottle clean clean until the wheels could no longer turn.

IDK if snow is capable of doing the same thing.

Are you commuting to an artisanal gold mine?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Are you commuting to an artisanal gold mine?
That's just clay doing clay things.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is this the right place to talk about muscle pains? Because I got hit by a doozy on Monday. I've been getting these electric cramps in my thighs, generally on the sides if not the front above my knee, usually when going downstairs (and we live on the 6th floor...). They tend to go away super-fast and especially disappear once pedaling. But on Monday they hit me going downstairs to get my bike and just stuck with me the whole trip. I usually do my 10 km in 30-40 minutes but this took me near 50 minutes because at some points I was just barely pedaling the pain was so bad. I was more or less walking/limping awkwardly until the end of the school day. Even today they still sort of ache, and I didn't go out at all today.

Now I'm not sure why this is happening. This never happened while running and I don't think it's anything more serious than just bad cramps, or at least I hope not. I figure I need to actually stretch? I didn't think my trip, short as it was necessitated it but maybe it's that. Maybe it's hydration. I know I don't get enough water these days because of the whole face-mask thing. I tend to just not bother taking it off to drink because it's just tedious.

Anyone else have experience with cramps like this? It feels like an very strong electric/stabbing pain in my thighs that. It hurts less when my leg is extended but it gets pulled and triggered as soon as my legs bend. Crouching makes me feel it the most. My calves are fine.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome. If you massage your thighs you'll find sore knots that need steady, heavy pressure for a minute or so. You can do it with a foam roller for example.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Struensee posted:

Sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome. If you massage your thighs you'll find sore knots that need steady, heavy pressure for a minute or so. You can do it with a foam roller for example.

Hm. I have no doubt I have had that, especially when I did run, but this is definitely my thighs not my knees. The biggest comfort is knowing it's nothing terribly serious, just muscle pain/cramps. I mean it sucks to have to power through it, but it's not like my body's broken or something.

On the other hand they closed my school due to Covid so now I'm off until the 4th of January so after I go back to pick up some papers I won't have to bike for a few weeks and will be able to relax so that's a plus.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have no idea if it's related to your specific issue or not, but
DRINK THE WATER

c'mon, you suspect out loud that you're dehydrated, by the time a person is willing to talk about it to strangers on the internet they're already loving parched. Drink the water.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I am, I do! Just less than I probably should because of these drat masks. I'm on holiday now and doing better anyway, I biked some 20+ Km yesterday and felt great. Had I guy furiously yell at me, when I tried to tell him that he was biking on the wrong direction in a one-way bike lane, which made me laugh hard but yeah.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

In normal temperatures I tend to drink about 400ml/hr. More if it's hot or I'm working hard.
I wouldn't expect someone to get severely dehydrated on their commute, tbh, but maybe if it's scorching (or they're breathing way hard cause of riding with a mask)?

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Woof just commuted after the snowstorm in NYC. My removable fender.... really does not work. It's an SKS X-Tra-Dry rear fender. Does anyone have a recommendation for more functional removable fenders?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I just got some of their Raceblades and they've been good so far. I wanted the speedrocker for the extra coverage but they're a bit big for 25s I think.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Skooms posted:

Woof just commuted after the snowstorm in NYC. My removable fender.... really does not work. It's an SKS X-Tra-Dry rear fender. Does anyone have a recommendation for more functional removable fenders?

I've never found any removable fenders to be anything but annoying and substandard long term.
Real fenders aren't that hard to remove in the summer.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Why not roll with fenders all year round? I haven't had any downsides except for more fiddly cleaning.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Less aero heavier more annoying bike sounds. If you own a dedicated gettin stuff done bike though it's worth it.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

bicievino posted:

Real fenders

I agree with this if your bike has eyelets, much better coverage. The only thing I don't like about my new road bike is no mounting points.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I've never found any removable fenders to be anything but annoying and substandard long term.
Real fenders aren't that hard to remove in the summer.
That's what we do on my kid's bike. Removable fenders just don't protect you for poo poo. They kinda sorta prevent back spray but that's it. Your shoes/BB area and the people behind you are still getting the full blast.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

:d2a:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

First commute with my new trunk bag. Much nicer than a backpack!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Post dat setup.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

(bonus MTB that I don't feel like moving)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How on earth do you ride that saddle?

E: How is that rack mounted by the QR?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ha, yes, after I rode in this morning I promised myself that I'd finally get around to adjusting that. It's not really uncomfortable, which is probably why I keep forgetting.

And that's just where the rack mounts on this frame, idk

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, after an 11 day stay-cation, I'm back to commuting. Bought a new car during the break, but, as with my previous one, I hope to never use it to get it work. I did some quick math and realized riding to work these last few years has saved over $4k in parking fees.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's a new bike or two or a really nice bike tour.

Time to tell your SO you just earned yourself a treat.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, I bought my Journeyman last year (and have put 1,200mi on it, so it's basically paid itself back, right?) and am now contemplating picking up a Mash steel frame come May, so

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Don't think too hard about the economics, just keep buying as many bikes as you want and can afford to flood the secondary market enough to push used good bike prices below the price of new bicycle shaped objects.

Think of it as a service to people who bike commute out of necessity.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I've reached a point where each new bike in basically requires me to get rid of an older one, most of which aren't nice enough to really bother trying to get much out of, so they typically end up on craigslist as a "gimme enough cash to cover a fri night bar tab and the bike's yours" deal.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fitzy Fitz posted:

First commute with my new trunk bag. Much nicer than a backpack!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

(bonus MTB that I don't feel like moving)

This is great and exactly what I'm hoping to accomplish in the next week or less. My LBS is waiting on a rack for me that has a built-in rear fender (mud and rain are integral to my commute), they haven't told me the cost yet but if it's not silly I'll get it and then start considering bags. I picked up a medium-sized duffle/sports bag at a thrift shop not long ago, if I can secure it to the rack I'll be set. Otherwise, I guess I'll be shopping for a pannier or a purpose-made trunk bag like yours.

How's your new bag treating you? I need to get my bag off my back, too humid here now for that nonsense.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well I've used it twice and like it so far. I wouldn't necessarily have sprung for such a nice one, but it was a gift, so I'll take it. I tried using a single pannier for a while, but the imbalance was annoying when I had a heavy load. My backpack was a pretty small cycling pack and really didn't bother me in the heat, but it couldn't carry a lot and was an extra thing to keep track of. Also the bag is waterproof and the pack is not.

I think a double pannier setup might be better if you're carrying more stuff though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Weather has been averaging 0-3 degrees celsius. No rain for now. I'm still wearing shorts but I decided to add a thin fleece-lined bonnet to my ensemble under my helmet.

It made me sweat way too much this morning, but I was also rushing for some reason. Coming home in the afternoon at a leisurely pace it was more bearable.

So I'm at two pairs of gloves, a thin windbreaker over a running t-shirt, the bonnet, shorts, and nothing fancy on my feet aside the fact that my boots are mostly water-proof. Not that doesn't prevent the socks from getting wet and running water into them.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I got a pair of these for groceries and ultimately camping later in the year: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=69548

They are pricey, but a huge upgrade from my previous ones that required a ton of work trying to get them off and on. The latch mechanism on top is activated by the handle so you just pull them off and drop them on. My greatest achievement with them so far was carrying a stack of firewood and two sixpacks of beer and I could not safely lift the bike down the stairs to my basement without removing the panniers due to the weight.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mauser posted:

I got a pair of these for groceries and ultimately camping later in the year: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=69548

They are pricey, but a huge upgrade from my previous ones that required a ton of work trying to get them off and on. The latch mechanism on top is activated by the handle so you just pull them off and drop them on. My greatest achievement with them so far was carrying a stack of firewood and two sixpacks of beer and I could not safely lift the bike down the stairs to my basement without removing the panniers due to the weight.

I've seen a couple of those on bikes. Maybe if we ever plan to do proper moving around that's not just me going to work and carrying clothes and papers.

If they're that easily removable couldn't they be easily stolen as well?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Saw this in the wild today.

Also hi thread.

I recently moved into a lovely studio apartment that is tiny. My bike is my primary mode of transportation and has been for a few years now.

I have a Bontrager Elite chain that I use to secure it when out and about, which is usually only for a short amount of time (shopping etc) as I keep it in a secure place inside the building I work at.

However it's hard to keep in my flat. There's no space for it inside. It's currently leaning against the door and taking up part of my kitchen space... The floor is also carpeted and my city is quite prone to rain, so I didn't know how much longer I'll be able to keep it there.

My apartment is ground level the rear of a long driveway. There's a drain metal pipe by the door and 2 nights ago I left it outside chained to it threading through the frame and rear wheel, took off the front wheel and left it against the building. I checked and saw that you couldn't really see it from the street. I was still so paranoid that I slept like poo poo because every slight rustling sound woke me up, convinced somebody was stealing my bike.
(My cousins road bike was stolen one suburb over, in a nicer part of town recently and I've had a bike stolen in the past, plus I'm prone to anxiety.)

I've read so many conflicting things about locks but it seems u-locks are the way to go? Was there anything this thread could recommend? My bike is a Merida Speeder 400, not overly extravagant but expensive enough to me to be devastating if stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Animal Friend posted:

Saw this in the wild today.

Also hi thread.

I recently moved into a lovely studio apartment that is tiny. My bike is my primary mode of transportation and has been for a few years now.

I have a Bontrager Elite chain that I use to secure it when out and about, which is usually only for a short amount of time (shopping etc) as I keep it in a secure place inside the building I work at.

However it's hard to keep in my flat. There's no space for it inside. It's currently leaning against the door and taking up part of my kitchen space... The floor is also carpeted and my city is quite prone to rain, so I didn't know how much longer I'll be able to keep it there.

My apartment is ground level the rear of a long driveway. There's a drain metal pipe by the door and 2 nights ago I left it outside chained to it threading through the frame and rear wheel, took off the front wheel and left it against the building. I checked and saw that you couldn't really see it from the street. I was still so paranoid that I slept like poo poo because every slight rustling sound woke me up, convinced somebody was stealing my bike.
(My cousins road bike was stolen one suburb over, in a nicer part of town recently and I've had a bike stolen in the past, plus I'm prone to anxiety.)

I've read so many conflicting things about locks but it seems u-locks are the way to go? Was there anything this thread could recommend? My bike is a Merida Speeder 400, not overly extravagant but expensive enough to me to be devastating if stolen.

As many of the biggest and most expensive Kryptonite U-locks you can afford.