Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My loving Nexus 5 just ate its 2 top gears yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

My loving Nexus 5 just ate its 2 top gears yay.
RIP. Have you had a chance to see if it the innards are ruined or if some service might fix it yet?

I have trouble wrapping my head around compound planetary gears work, so I don't know why the 5,7, &11 speed Shimano hubs don't have a direct drive gear to cruise in without wearing the internals.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CopperHound posted:

RIP. Have you had a chance to see if it the innards are ruined or if some service might fix it yet?
LBS is taking a look tomorrow but it's well under warranty. I'm just bummed about the down time.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I tried to get new internals for a nexus 8 but it was cheaper to get a whole hub with shifter and cable. I ended up re-lacing the wheel cause I kinda like that process for some reason. Sheldon Brown's website and a good audiobook and it's a pleasant evening if I'm in the right mood.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A week or two ago some fucker stole my saddlebag that had my multitool, patch kit, tube, rain pants, and gloves inside. I ordered new rain pants and they're "out for delivery" and it's pouring and I need to get somewhere ugghhh

Maybe I can summon the delivery by riding out anyway and getting soaked.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

alnilam posted:

A week or two ago some fucker stole my saddlebag that had my multitool, patch kit, tube, rain pants, and gloves inside. I ordered new rain pants and they're "out for delivery" and it's pouring and I need to get somewhere ugghhh

Maybe I can summon the delivery by riding out anyway and getting soaked.

That sucks but I do have a suggestion. Real-talk, how cold is it? If it's some degrees (I've dealt with rain at 3 degrees Celsius) above freezing and you can tough it out, I genuinely recommend shorts, especially a pair used for running, soccer, basketball, or tennis. That sort of synthetic material is surprisingly water-proof, and your own legs are remarkably water-proof. Instead of getting water-logged in a pair of pants, just let the rain slide off your skin instead.

It's what I've done all winter and frankly it's incredibly how quickly you dry up. Carry a small towel with you, but you'll hardly need it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sucks but I do have a suggestion. Real-talk, how cold is it? If it's some degrees (I've dealt with rain at 3 degrees Celsius) above freezing and you can tough it out, I genuinely recommend shorts, especially a pair used for running, soccer, basketball, or tennis. That sort of synthetic material is surprisingly water-proof, and your own legs are remarkably water-proof. Instead of getting water-logged in a pair of pants, just let the rain slide off your skin instead.

It's what I've done all winter and frankly it's incredibly how quickly you dry up. Carry a small towel with you, but you'll hardly need it.

lol what the gently caress

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bicievino posted:

lol what the gently caress

They're waiting on rain-pants. I personally can attest to shorts being better at keeping you drier than pants since there's less cloth to retain the water.

It's worked for me anyway. Rain-pants heat me up too much and I end up wetter from sweat than I do from the rain. Besides when it rains your torso gets hit far far more than your legs, and it's not like I'm not wearing a rain-coat.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's a wintery mix of snow and rain so no thank you lol

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Rain-pants heat me up too much and I end up wetter from sweat than I do from the rain. Besides when it rains your torso gets hit far far more than your legs, and it's not like I'm not wearing a rain-coat.

You must deal with like the lightest sprinkliest rain ever. In my experience the front half of my legs get soaked if it's raining any more than a sprinkle.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They're waiting on rain-pants. I personally can attest to shorts being better at keeping you drier than pants since there's less cloth to retain the water.

It's worked for me anyway. Rain-pants heat me up too much and I end up wetter from sweat than I do from the rain. Besides when it rains your torso gets hit far far more than your legs, and it's not like I'm not wearing a rain-coat.

Some people have different amounts of natural insulation, but it is objectively not normal to spend extended periods of time with no pants on at 3 degrees C, even if it's raining.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

alnilam posted:

It's a wintery mix of snow and rain so no thank you lol

You must deal with like the lightest sprinkliest rain ever. In my experience the front half of my legs get soaked if it's raining any more than a sprinkle.

Yeah no, ice and snow would be rough, I imagine. The rain here is usually light, but I've dealt with some good steady hard rains that affected visibility, though my leg's have never bothered. me.

bicievino posted:

Some people have different amounts of natural insulation, but it is objectively not normal to spend extended periods of time with no pants on at 3 degrees C, even if it's raining.

I'm never on the road for more than 40 minutes and it's not flat terrain, the bike's not electric so I stay warm enough from pedaling. It's not like my legs get cold anyway, they're the ones doing the work, my torso is far better insulated since it doesn't do anything and it does get cold. I do wear two pairs of gloves, a good windbreaker and a buff. I don't see a lot of other people doing it, but I haven't been the only one. Still I suppose you're right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think 60F would be my limit for taking a shower outside and then having to go barefoot at work trying to dry out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh man of course I get changed. I ride with a pair of water-proof shoes, not that that stops my socks from getting wet and then the inside of the shoe wet, but I get changed at work and then put everything on a radiator to dry. It's a touch awkward, but there's really no other choice since we don't have lockers.

I grew up in Connecticut, which isn't the coldest of the cold, I know some of you are riding in Canada and Scandinavia, which wow, but I know what below freezing temperatures are like and how to deal with them. France, Paris, is just really mild? It hardly gets to freezing and these days it hovers between 37 and 50 F which is super tolerable. I do have a good tolerance for the cold, inversely I cannot stand the heat, but once you're doing some sort of physical activity it's really not that bad. The worst is starting out but thankfully I have steep hills pretty much 4 minutes into my ride either way so that takes of that problem. The trick is to not stop pedaling.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I grew up in Connecticut, which isn't the coldest of the cold, I know some of you are riding in Canada and Scandinavia, which wow, but I know what below freezing temperatures are like and how to deal with them. France, Paris, is just really mild? It hardly gets to freezing and these days it hovers between 37 and 50 F which is super tolerable. I do have a good tolerance for the cold, inversely I cannot stand the heat, but once you're doing some sort of physical activity it's really not that bad. The worst is starting out but thankfully I have steep hills pretty much 4 minutes into my ride either way so that takes of that problem. The trick is to not stop pedaling.
No, I get you. I grew up in a part of the world where 37 and rainy is a very normal winter day, and we used to play rugby in it. You can certainly put up with it for 40 minutes, and you do forget about the weather as being the source of your discomfort, at least for most of that time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

I tried to get new internals for a nexus 8 but it was cheaper to get a whole hub with shifter and cable. I ended up re-lacing the wheel cause I kinda like that process for some reason. Sheldon Brown's website and a good audiobook and it's a pleasant evening if I'm in the right mood.
LBS gave it a half a turn, heard the noise of horrible mechanical agony and the first thing out of his mouth was "aight email me your invoice in case Shimano asks when I warranty this".

Albinator posted:

No, I get you. I grew up in a part of the world where 37 and rainy is a very normal winter day, and we used to play rugby in it. You can certainly put up with it for 40 minutes, and you do forget about the weather as being the source of your discomfort, at least for most of that time.
There's dealing with it and dealing with it on the way to work where you can't look like a complete bum. E-bikes make that problem way easier TBH, because they remove the need to sweat under your goretex.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

speaking of wildlife, we have hundreds of canada geese at the little lake park I ride around after work. Here's a small section, but they're all over the hill behind and the rest of the lake. Otherwise, I mostly see rats, occasional house cats and sometimes some deer in the more wooded parts of the city.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Seeing cats hanging out by my commute path would severely increase my commute times.

evil_bunnY posted:

The v2 GSD solves 90% of the issues with the v1, so if you want a long tail it's the best option IMO.

What were the issues, and what did v2 miss?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 28, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

What were the issues, and what did v2 miss?
Off the top of my head, lovely accuracy on the brake mounts, rides kinda harsh even on the the large tires it comes with, doesn't fit really tall riders, lovely paint, useless stand.
V2 everything but the paint, I think. We'll see what QC is like and I'm curious about the service interval on the fork.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just ordered a pair of long johns that I hope will last a lot longer than the merino wool ones I've been using. It's a blended fiber deal with 25% silk/75% merino that according to the sales pitch should solve my problem. They better be pretty great cause they cost $lol.

At least 10cm of snow fell while I was at work today. Snow clearing was on point though so getting home was no ordeal. What slows me down the most time-wise is the need for longer routes since my usual shortcuts aren't cleared with any priority, and the last kilometer between the prioritized bike route and my house was troublesome since I picket a badly cleared path.

I'm really happy with the new winter schwalbe tires. AFAIK I haven't torn out any studs yet and not a single puncture so far. Last winter with the non-plus (non-puncture proof) schwalbes I had three flats total, all very lovely and frustrating experiences in their own unique way.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Invalido posted:

What slows me down the most time-wise is the need for longer routes since my usual shortcuts aren't cleared with any priority...

This drives me nuts. My city doesn't maintain bike infrastructure at all in the winter and the painted bike gutters just become snow dumps. There's a beautiful bike trail almost from my front door to my office. It goes through a lovely forest, its relatively flat and smooth. It runs next to a commuter rail line and uses the same right of way so all the road crossings are elevated and there's no stops. The only time I have to get near a car is the first and last few meters. Right now its buried under half a meter of snow and ice. My commute is twice as long on the roads because of the twisting indirect route and all the lights.

I got stopped while rolling past a police car doing the laser thing this morning. The officer wanted to remind me that I need reflectors on the front and rear wheel in this province. I've got them, they're built into the tires (winter marathons) but they're so filthy you can't see them. Wash your bike folks.

Edit: Ya maybe she's got a point. I got some work to do tonight.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 29, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sauer posted:

Wash your bike folks.

NEVER.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

XIII posted:

NEVER.

:hai:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Actually, I recently bought one of those gardening hand pump sprayer thingys so I can spray off my bike in the winter (since our outdoor hookup is turned off). Finally had a chance to use it last night and was pleasantly surprised by how well it works. Well worth the ten bucks

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There's a reason we call it "Spring Cleaning". I'm waiting for April.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

just lol if you don't shower with your bikes

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

God Hole posted:

just lol if you don't shower with your bikes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m the mismatched pedals

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

:hmmyes:

I do have a electric sprayer to spray my commuter off quickly and do proper cleans when it isn't loving cold outside though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have one of those small medium pressure washers and it's the tits. Load it up with warm water, hose down in 3 minutes, let bike dry in the garage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I have one of those small medium pressure washers and it's the tits. Load it up with warm water, hose down in 3 minutes, let bike dry in the garage.

I bought this recently and it’s great for portable washing. Doesn’t go full crazy PSI. I can use it with a bucket of warm water in the winter anywhere.

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/18v-one-plus-320-psi-power-cleaner-with-40ah-battery-and-charger

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I use a short length of gardenhose and a disgusting greasy dishwashing brush like a loving peasant. Then I immediately have to purge the hose because winter which is why it is short.

XIII posted:

NEVER.
also this.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Anza Borrego posted:

There are ospreys around San Diego that perch on a few spots along different routes I take, and there is a nest just off of a very popular route that I rode for the first time last week. They are so loving metal.

Some of the waterfront parks have huge rabbit populations and they scatter when you ride near. Gotta make sure you don’t rush. The dumb bastards over.

Big nest on the top of a pole at Pepper Park in National City.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Another lo-tech solution

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Al2001 posted:

Another lo-tech solution

I have that exact sprayer which I turned into a ghetto tubeless inflator. If you take off the long rigid tube, the injector hose from orange seal fits perfectly into the grey nut and attaches to the end perfectly. Before I made it I was trying to devise methods to connect the two to get a good seal then discovered they fit perfectly without any kind of extra modification.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

alnilam posted:

Anyone else have experience with rainy bike rides with a kid in a trailer? Are the nicer/better ones better waterproofed? Like I'm imagining maybe the nicer ones have a solid plastic underfloor instead of being all fabric, but maybe not.

I know this was a while back but as you might have guessed the short answer is no. Trailers, especially for kids, at best have a rain cover on the top, everything else is fabric or there abouts. You can get some water repellent fabric spray to put on if it really bothers you, but as I tell my kids... Sorry, you're going to get wet. Because it's raining.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hmm oh well. Thanks for the answer. At least her butt stays dry, it just gets wet around her feet. Wet butt every day on the way to daycare would be very bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've no idea what that's about, our kids never got wet in our thule trailer. Not that they wouldn't be in rainproof footwear if it were raining, but ya know..

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe a mudflap would keep rear wheel spray from hitting the underside of the trailer, I wonder if that's the culprit.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

kemikalkadet posted:

I have that exact sprayer which I turned into a ghetto tubeless inflator. If you take off the long rigid tube, the injector hose from orange seal fits perfectly into the grey nut and attaches to the end perfectly. Before I made it I was trying to devise methods to connect the two to get a good seal then discovered they fit perfectly without any kind of extra modification.

This is certainly worth remembering for if/when I go tubeless. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Maybe a mudflap would keep rear wheel spray from hitting the underside of the trailer, I wonder if that's the culprit.
I mean yes but that shouldn't matter. My partner's bike doesn't have one and it wasn't an issue.