Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm a beginner and just started playing on chess.com. In my first game I somehow managed to checkmate in 8 moves against someone with a 900ish ranking and thought I might be a genius, but since then I've steadily fallen to around 550 lol.

As a pretty bad beginner, would you guys recommend playing short games or long games? I've been playing 10 minute matches, and it's frustrating how many times I feel like I'd have won the game if my time hadn't run out. I'm not sure if it's better to just play a lot of quick games so I get more practice with opening and mid game, or play longer games where I get more time to think and avoid making so many blunders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
If I have a bishop and pawn against only a king, the pawn is on the a-file or h-file, and the promotion space does NOT match my bishop's color, is this a draw?

Edit: pawn was on its starting space, opponent’s king was in the promotion corner, I I couldn’t figure out how to dislodge it and I was behind on time so I offered an draw which he accepted

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 10, 2021

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Koskinator posted:

If I have a bishop and pawn against only a king, the pawn is on the a-file or h-file, and the promotion space does NOT match my bishop's color, is this a draw?

Correct unless you can prevent the opponent from getting to that corner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrong_rook_pawn

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

I'm a beginner and just started playing on chess.com. In my first game I somehow managed to checkmate in 8 moves against someone with a 900ish ranking and thought I might be a genius, but since then I've steadily fallen to around 550 lol.

As a pretty bad beginner, would you guys recommend playing short games or long games? I've been playing 10 minute matches, and it's frustrating how many times I feel like I'd have won the game if my time hadn't run out. I'm not sure if it's better to just play a lot of quick games so I get more practice with opening and mid game, or play longer games where I get more time to think and avoid making so many blunders.

I'm not that great but I found going from 10/5 to 15/10 made a big difference in the number of games where I lost due to time, without being a gigantic increase in the time spent on each game.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Paperhouse posted:

You'll acclimatize to whichever time control you prefer, so I'd say play a few games on different time controls and find which one gives you the most pleasant balance of time to think/understand and actively doing stuff. Slower time controls might be a bit better at first just because they give you more time to puzzle through what's actually happening. To the extent that your goal is improving, what's important is going through your game afterwards and going over what you were thinking and what your opponent was thinking. (Note that you don't really need the engine for this.) You can do that with games at any time control.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Since starting a couple of weeks ago I've only played a couple of human games but a lot of computer games without time.

I find it helpful to sometimes (but not every game) play through computer games with takebacks and evaluation. I find it easier to learn from mistakes when I correct them in the middle of the game and understand why a move was wrong and why the best move is best rather than trying to learn several mistakes at once from analysis after. It's also helpful for drilling openings. although I think chess.com has openings practice too.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I never play without an increment if I'm putting effort into a game, it keeps some of the weirder blitz strategies from being a concern, which is good because I don't know any of them

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Good point keep talkin posted:

I'm not that great but I found going from 10/5 to 15/10 made a big difference in the number of games where I lost due to time, without being a gigantic increase in the time spent on each game.

What do 10/5 and 15/10 mean? :v: It looked like chess.com has the option of 10 or 30 minutes, but maybe I've not looked hard enough

I did look at the analysis for the first time after a match yesterday (ended in a draw but I should have won), and it was helpful. I made a lot of good moves and a handful of very stupid ones

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

What do 10/5 and 15/10 mean?

The second number is the increment.

10/5 means ten minutes for each player, but each move made adds 5 seconds to your clock.

15/10 means 15 minutes per player with ten seconds added per move made. It makes a huge difference, where if you're down to a simple ending you know how to play you can be down to your last ten seconds and win without even making your moves frantically, and still add time to your clock instead of losing it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hand Knit posted:

You'll acclimatize to whichever time control you prefer, so I'd say play a few games on different time controls and find which one gives you the most pleasant balance of time to think/understand and actively doing stuff. Slower time controls might be a bit better at first just because they give you more time to puzzle through what's actually happening. To the extent that your goal is improving, what's important is going through your game afterwards and going over what you were thinking and what your opponent was thinking. (Note that you don't really need the engine for this.) You can do that with games at any time control.

this is why beginners should focus on 1/0 bullet, to get more games under their belt asap

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

As another newbie I suggest going at least 15/10 if not 30. I need the time to think things through. Even for games I won or drew at 10/0 both my and my opponent played at very high inaccuracy. Sneaking wins based on timey-wimey bullshit is definitely a strategy but I don't personally find it helps improve learning.

Then again I'm your typical adult learner who needs to always understand more fully before putting things into practice so I probably don't play nearly enough as it is.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
There's a Queen's Gambit/MS-DOS-themed chess game where the engine is 1 kB of Javascript. It's fun. You should play it!

It's a weird experience, because the moves she makes look terrible (on account of the engine's incredibly tiny evaluation function), but tactically there's none of the obvious blunders you'd expect a person making these kinds of moves to make. She's better than me, but I'm a noob so it's a low hurdle.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Captain von Trapp posted:

There's a Queen's Gambit/MS-DOS-themed chess game where the engine is 1 kB of Javascript. It's fun. You should play it!

It's a weird experience, because the moves she makes look terrible (on account of the engine's incredibly tiny evaluation function), but tactically there's none of the obvious blunders you'd expect a person making these kinds of moves to make. She's better than me, but I'm a noob so it's a low hurdle.

I've beaten it all three times I've played, but the graphics are terrible. I can't tell one piece from the other.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

1. c4 f5 2.d4 e5 3.dxe5 b5

I feel like the engine has some weaknesses.

e: played another game

1.c4 h5 2.d4 e5 3.dxe5 f6 4. exf6 gxf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Qd3 a5 7.Qg6+ Ke7 8.g3 c5 9.Nd5+ Ke6 10.Bh3+ Ke5 11.Nf3#

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 12, 2021

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wanted to see if I could scholar's mate it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Close enough

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Be aware that when I say "better than me", my chess.com rapid rating is like 700.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

got my first ever "brilliant" move in a chess.com analysis and managed to get two in the same game. I'm not quite sure I understand why they're brilliant, but I'll take it!!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
My daily and puzzle ratings are around 1700 with a tendency to grow, but my blitz is below 1100 and will probably fall further. There aren't any easy games. My opponents know their openings, they play quickly, and they don't hang pieces. And I do. The format obviously doesn't suit me but I have this idea that forcing myself to think quickly is a good exercise for the brain.

Tonight's question: Does Chess Make You Smarter? Let's hear from our Goon Experts...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

got my first ever "brilliant" move in a chess.com analysis and managed to get two in the same game. I'm not quite sure I understand why they're brilliant, but I'll take it!!

Post them and let's find out.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

My daily and puzzle ratings are around 1700 with a tendency to grow, but my blitz is below 1100 and will probably fall further. There aren't any easy games. My opponents know their openings, they play quickly, and they don't hang pieces. And I do. The format obviously doesn't suit me but I have this idea that forcing myself to think quickly is a good exercise for the brain.

Tonight's question: Does Chess Make You Smarter? Let's hear from our Goon Experts...

Got hooked on blitz a little over a month ago and just playing a bunch every day has made a big difference in weeding out the really obvious blunders like just leaving poo poo en prise and getting into sketchy positions in the first place. Still missing tons of stuff of course but at least now it's usually things like 3-4 move combinations instead of "my queen is attacked but I'm pipe visioning on the other side of the board"

Also had to pay the price for leaning on the opening book too much on daily games, got owned by opening traps and fried liver type stuff a bunch. Just learning the basics of some openings helped a ton there. Caro-Kann has been good against 1. e4. Played ..Nf6 against d4 the first few weeks and that was a terrible mistake, blitz noobs don't have the intuition or time (much less theory) to not gently caress up those lines and they're a lot easier for white. Same goes for "just control the center and develop pieces", too much poo poo to keep track of and not enough time to do it correctly. Switching to the Slav helped in not getting instantly triggered by 1. d4. Slav and Caro both feature early c6 and can end up pretty similar and turtlish but boring beats terrible at this point. I guess London would be the obvious safe and stable choice as white but my black openings are already :corsair: enough and playing something sharper is probably better in the long run, so I usually play the Scotch and it rarely leaves me worse out of the opening.

Also had to unlearn the neurotic tendency to constantly look for the One Weird Trick that will win me (or my opponent) the game on the spot, because there rarely is one. I feel like spending too much time on puzzles compared to actual games might've been harmful, in that you probably need both to develop your sense for when to look for (or just detect) tactics and when to just make boring decent moves, else you're just going to burn your clock for nothing. Still down on the clock in most games and usually have to play end games on instinct (= badly), but it's slowly getting better.

None of this has made me any smarter, but it has made my journey from garbage towards crippling mediocrity less painful and blitz is no longer depressing. 5+3 is a lot more lenient than 3+2 also.

jvilmi fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 15, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

algebra testes posted:

Post them and let's find out.

https://www.chess.com/a/RjdcNZ9GSUva

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Bunch of short tutorials on different openings: https://simplifychess.com/homepage/openings.html They don't go deep but explain the basic ideas and the most common variations, so they're really good for just getting started on something.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ive been having a lot of fun with The Borg Defense

1. e4 g5
2. d4 g4
3. Qxd4 d5

around my level of 1400 bullet on lichess, more than half of players totally miss it and hang their queen

if they don’t hang their queen this is the only variation ive so far come up on:

4. Qf4 Bh6
5. Qe5 Bxc1

its been hilarious easy wins for the past couple days

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

fart simpson posted:

ive been having a lot of fun with The Borg Defense

1. e4 g5
2. d4 g4
3. Qxd4 d5

around my level of 1400 bullet on lichess, more than half of players totally miss it and hang their queen

if they don’t hang their queen this is the only variation ive so far come up on:

4. Qf4 Bh6
5. Qe5 Bxc1

its been hilarious easy wins for the past couple days

6. Qxh8 ...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yes but it still works out in blacks favor. play through it on an analysis board or something

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
nope, the analysis board still says white is better

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

It's not smart to rely on a Stockfish of an opening position, that said, pretty much any move that doesn't hang the queen evaluates as a >1 point advantage for white.

code:
+1.58 4.Qh4 dxe4 5.Nc3 Nf6 6.Nge2 Bf5 7.Bg5 Bg7 8.O-O-O h6 9.Bf4 c6 10.f3 exf3 11.gxf3 Nd5 12.Qg3 Bf6 13.Rg1 Nxf4 14.Qxf4 Be6 15.Qe4 Nd7 16.Nf4 Bg5 17.Rxg5 hxg5 18.Nxe6 fxe6 19.Qg6+ Kf8 20.Qxg5 Rxh2  (258.38)

+1.45 4.Qf4 dxe4 5.Nc3 Nf6 6.Be3 Rg8 7.h3 Qd6 8.Nge2 Qxf4 9.Nxf4 c6 10.O-O-O Bh6 11.g3 Nbd7 12.d5 Bxf4 13.Bxf4 Nxd5 14.Nxd5 cxd5 15.Rxd5 Nf6 16.Rd4 Bd7 17.Bg2 h5 18.Rhd1 O-O-O 19.f3 exf3 20.Rc4+ Bc6 21.Bxf3 Rxd1+ 22.Kxd1 Rd8+ 23.Ke2  (258.38)

+1.41 4.Qe2 dxe4 5.Qxe4 Nf6 6.Qd3 Nc6 7.Nf3 Bg4 8.Be3 Bxf3 9.gxf3 Qd7 10.Nc3 Nb4 11.Qe2 Rg8 12.O-O-O O-O-O 13.a3 Nbd5 14.Nxd5 Nxd5 15.c4 Qc6 16.Bh3+ Kb8 17.Bf5 Nxe3 18.fxe3 Qh6 19.Be4 e6 20.Kb1 f5 21.Bc2 Be7 22.Rhg1 Rxg1 23.Rxg1 Qf6  (258.38)

+1.37 4.Qg3 dxe4 5.Bf4 Nc6 6.Nc3 Nf6 7.Nb5 Nh5 8.Qe3 Nxf4 9.Qxf4 e5 10.dxe5 Be6 11.Qxe4 a6 12.Rd1 Qe7 13.Nc3 Qb4 14.Ne2 Be7 15.Qxb4 Nxb4 16.Rd2 Nc6 17.f4 f6 18.g3 fxe5 19.Bg2 Bd6 20.O-O O-O 21.Be4 exf4 22.Nxf4 Bf7 23.Kg2  (258.38)

+1.37 4.Qf3 dxe4 5.Qxe4 Nf6 6.Qd3 Nc6 7.Nf3 Bg4 8.Be3 Bxf3 9.gxf3 Qd7 10.Nc3 Nb4 11.Qe2 Rg8 12.O-O-O O-O-O 13.a3 Nbd5 14.Nxd5 Nxd5 15.c4 Qc6 16.Kb1 Nxe3 17.fxe3 Kb8 18.Qf2 e5 19.Bd3 exd4 20.exd4 Bg7 21.Bxh7  (258.38)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

huh I don’t remember what i was looking at then i guess

that said im playing this bad boy to an extremely high win rate. 13 wins out of 16 games where they take with the queen, and about 50% win rate when they don’t even bring their queen out at all

probably doesn’t work in real time controls or against good players but in ~1400 bullet it’s doing the trick

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

I'm a beginner too and I've found I can't go much faster than 15/10 if I want to play a reasonable midgame or endgame. But I've found that doing a bunch of faster games is a good way to practice openings if I accept that I'm just going to bomb the middle part. I think most chess coaches would say that you get the most benefit from a solid midgame, you're not good enough as a beginner to take advantage of different opening lines.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I remember from the Chessmaster tutorial long ago that studying the endgame is best for a beginner. I've often wondered whether that sentiment is widely shared among chess teachers.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i can see it. it can be pretty straightforward to simplify down to an endgame and most people are awful at them. spending a few days studying pawn and king endgames alone bumped my elo by about 100

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

qsvui posted:

I remember from the Chessmaster tutorial long ago that studying the endgame is best for a beginner. I've often wondered whether that sentiment is widely shared among chess teachers.

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: There are two general 'schools' of chess education, one that begins from the end of the game and works backwards ("Soviet School," as I was taught) and one which begins from the start of the game and develops outwards ("American School.") They both have their merits but I find the Soviet approach is far superior for a couple of reasons. The first is that it keeps the player more engaged in the game. If your schooling starts from the beginning of the game, once you're out of what you know you're kind of lost for the rest of the game. In contrast, if you start by knowing your endgames, the game is always progressing towards the point you know better. This also gives the player a better ability to structure their play and have goals in mind, something that helps both practically and pedagogically. The other reason is that endgame and lategame principles are more easily transferable to the start of the game than opening principles are to the end. This means that learning the endgame gives you tools to understand the early and middle game in a way that learning the opening doesn't help you understand the endgame.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think if you focus on openings too much too early you end up either being terrible and not really improving, or only knowing a bag full of trick openings where if they don’t go exactly as you planned then you’re just screwed for the rest of the game, which can be fun admittedly

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I haven't "studied" openings, but in my experience as a beginner with no experience, it's been helpful to have a move or two of canned responses to the most common initial moves.

The general guidelines of opening moves ("control the center, don't move the queen early, castle early, etc") are more important. Still, it's nice to have a menu in your head so you don't have to waste time or potentially blunder what to do when the second move is a gambit or whatever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

i think if you focus on openings too much too early you end up either being terrible and not really improving, or only knowing a bag full of trick openings where if they don’t go exactly as you planned then you’re just screwed for the rest of the game, which can be fun admittedly

I guess it's worth saying that learning from the opening out isn't just memorizing a couple of tricks and series of moves, but also general plans and understanding typical positions that arise.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

I guess it's worth saying that learning from the opening out isn't just memorizing a couple of tricks and series of moves, but also general plans and understanding typical positions that arise.

There's something really satisfying about knowing an opening well enough to punish your opponent if they play into it incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

yeah that makes sense. i was thinking of that as studying the midgame and pawn structures and such but you know more than i do