Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TobinHatesYou posted:

Early Allez frames were mech-only.

Wouldn't the mech holes be good enough for running the wires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Wouldn't the mech holes be good enough for running the wires?

The mech holes terminate at the bb shell - the drilling he did takes it the rest of the way from the bb shell to the RD (you can see the unused external housing clamp spot in one of the pics).

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

T.C. posted:

Are any of the bike computers now able to do reasonable turn by turn directions that pay attention to bike infrastructure. Our bike lane system is pretty good, and there's no reason to not be on it most of the time in the city. If I want to go somewhere new, though, I don't always know where they are. Google maps generally routes along bike routes when you use bike directions, so last time I looked at bike computers I just decided it was better to use my phone mounted on the handlbars. It lets me use Maps and Strava, which are my two bike things. That's a pain for battery life, though. Honestly, most of the time, I just pull up the city bike lane map and route plan myself ahead of time.

Has anyone come up with a non-garbage thing for this that isn't $800. I wish I could figure out a way to use my old/backup phone as a bike computer, but connectivity without paying for another phone plan or running my main phone in hotspot mode seems like a problem.

I’ve been interviewing with Hammerhead and they claim their bread and butter is on the fly route navigation. I’m tempted to drop $400 on one just to see if they’re blowing smoke up my rear end.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If my Garmin detects a hard fall it automatically posts a GoFundMe.

:patriot:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My bar tape already looks like poo poo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah I can't say I'd ever buy supercaz again

im down with fizik "microtex bondcrush classic" tho, has definitely held up better and easier to wrap

i was within inches of a bunny doing a suicide jump in front of my bike today and I'm glad it made it safely

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

My supacaz looked the same, but I never tracked how many miles it took to look worn. Their stuff seems super cheaply made, In general, and they try to make up for it with a niche style.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

:swoon:

It's beautiful

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
My supacaz still looks great after 3000km or so.

T.C. posted:

Are any of the bike computers now able to do reasonable turn by turn directions that pay attention to bike infrastructure. Our bike lane system is pretty good, and there's no reason to not be on it most of the time in the city. If I want to go somewhere new, though, I don't always know where they are. Google maps generally routes along bike routes when you use bike directions, so last time I looked at bike computers I just decided it was better to use my phone mounted on the handlbars. It lets me use Maps and Strava, which are my two bike things. That's a pain for battery life, though. Honestly, most of the time, I just pull up the city bike lane map and route plan myself ahead of time.

Has anyone come up with a non-garbage thing for this that isn't $800. I wish I could figure out a way to use my old/backup phone as a bike computer, but connectivity without paying for another phone plan or running my main phone in hotspot mode seems like a problem.

What exactly do you want here, because it sounds like basically every head unit will be fine for it. Is it on head-unit route setting that takes account of bike lanes or routes in general that take account of bike lanes, because the latter's on whatever software you use to make the route (strava, komoot, ridewithgps etc). My edge 530 deals with bike lanes just fine, and if you're taking your phone anyway (as you always should) you can upload routes to it when you're out and about.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Started building up the bike. First step was removing the old bottom bracket. It had a one piece job pressed into the threaded cups and the abbey tool I bought wouldn't go on with the bearings in. Ordered the official colnago tool and the fucker is in so tight I was worried I was going to strip the plastic, gently caress.

Thankfully there was a lip on the bearings and using some rod I was able to tap the bearings out.

Try again with the nicely machined abbey BB tool and it won't loving budge. Triple check I'm going in the right direction and support the bottom bracket while standing on the ratchet and after a nervous half a second the cups shift, phew!

My plan for today had been to install the EPS battery but I ordered the wrong mounting kit. I've test fit the brakes and saddle and am super pleased with how this is going to look. Once my wheels arrive I'll have nearly everything for the build so Sunday is going to be a day of prep and giving everything a thorough clean. I still don't have a decent solution for the downtube hole. Colnago dealer says they can't get an OEM replacement any more so I think I'm going to have to print a part or hack the C64 top tube cable guide.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Silca baby what are you doing??

this is a computer mount

Apparently so many people made memes and jokes of this that Silca had to post a statement about it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Apparently so many people made memes and jokes of this that Silca had to post a statement about it.

What a bizarre statement

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lot of words to say nothing. Did they pull the product or not?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

A statement even dumber than a $175 heavy af computer mount, amazing.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Guinness posted:

I hope they didn't, there's nothing wrong with the product other than being embarrassingly overpriced like most bike stuff. They posted a silly photo that people rightly made fun of, that should be the end of it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

gohuskies posted:

I hope they didn't, there's nothing wrong with the product. They posted a silly photo that people made fun of, that should be the end of it.

I mean, there are a number of things wrong with the product, but none related to the memes.

I mean, it's a perfect computer mount for seriously vain cyclists.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bicievino posted:

I mean, there are a number of things wrong with the product, but none related to the memes.

I edited to add nothing wrong "other than being embarrassingly overpriced" but that's most bike stuff so I feel that almost goes without saying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guinness posted:

They followed the statement with a new post showing the mount without boudoir lighting and at a less phallic angle.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
borg penis

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bicievino posted:

Vein, surely?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

PCjr sidecar posted:

Vein, surely?

:thejoke:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

They followed the statement with a new post showing the mount without boudoir lighting and at a less phallic angle.

Only slightly, though

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The veins on the side are a nice touch

How are they playing so dumb about this, there's so much "coincidental" design here that it just has to be intentional

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Guinness posted:

The veins on the side are a nice touch

How are they playing so dumb about this, there's so much "coincidental" design here that it just has to be intentional

From most angles it looks fairly flattened and rectangular. Their photographer just seems drawn to photographing it from the one angle that makes it look like a shaft.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my computer mount is two zip ties on the stem

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Couldn't resist seeing what it's going to look like so put the stem, bars, saddle and brakes on. Need to double check the fit but I think the stem will need to end up getting nearly slammed so the steerer tube will need a trim. Gonna be sick bros.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
That’s pretty hot. :stwoon:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Looks like it will be some good clean fun!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
good to see pegging expanding into the cycling market

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

It's getting to be about time to slap some new brake pads on my bike, and I don't seem to be able to track down OEM replacements. I've got Promax 330R disc brakes on my Salsa, and the manufacturer's SKU for replacements isn't in stock anywhere that I can see after some google digging.

There's some kind of sketch looking ones on Amazon that claim to be compatible, but I'm not sure how into random dubious origin products for something as important as braking, and I'm not entirely sure they'd be 100% drop ins to begin with.

Is there an obvious solution or retailer I'm overlooking here? Promax's product sku is PXBP14PD71SSL if it helps.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Objurium posted:

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

It's getting to be about time to slap some new brake pads on my bike, and I don't seem to be able to track down OEM replacements. I've got Promax 330R disc brakes on my Salsa, and the manufacturer's SKU for replacements isn't in stock anywhere that I can see after some google digging.

There's some kind of sketch looking ones on Amazon that claim to be compatible, but I'm not sure how into random dubious origin products for something as important as braking, and I'm not entirely sure they'd be 100% drop ins to begin with.

Is there an obvious solution or retailer I'm overlooking here? Promax's product sku is PXBP14PD71SSL if it helps.

Promax brakes are already sketchy dubious origin products, by all means just get whatever's the right size and shape.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Objurium posted:

Jagwire makes compatible pads and they're a legit brand that should be in-stock. The part numbers are the same for their Avid BB5 pads so you should be able to use Avid BB5 compatible pads, in general.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
How come a bloody radar to look behind you cost 150 bux but a freaking strain gauge to know how hard you are pushing down cost five time that ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Only slightly, though

Oh, I saw this one after the sorry post:

Don't even dare show the full length of it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Krogort posted:

How come a bloody radar to look behind you cost 150 bux but a freaking strain gauge to know how hard you are pushing down cost five time that ?

Radar is the simpler bit of kit here

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I've bought a power meter for €100 but I need to build it myself :nyoron:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Radar is the simpler bit of kit here

Now that small radar sensors are standard on many cars, there's a huge economy of scale in favor of them too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

To expand on my above post: every so often some random engineering grads come along and make a kickstarter because strain gauges are cheap so it must be possible to undercut the established players with a $150 power meter. It doesn't go well.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Strain gauges, pick two:

Cheap, accurate, small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Tigren posted:

Strain gauges, pick two:

Cheap, accurate, small

Strain gauges themselves are all 3 (I use single use ones for most of my anaesthetic cases) it's more about measuring the change in resistance accurately and calibrating it with the deformation of the material they're mounted to.