Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

alright, well in either case I'll try to work myself up to 31.5", I would imagine it's going to take a lot of practice.

With the handlebar and stem thing, i just noticed that a wider handlebar was more comfortable - my arms were just going straight out instead of angling inwards. I know this is a separate thing from the saddle but maybe it would be a good idea since I have broader shoulders?

Maybe, but I think you should ride your bike first before shotgunning parts at it.

E:

This needs to be on the new page

resident posted:

I’m ready to drop a watt bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

resident posted:

I am absolutely hunting you down on Wednesday. That thing looks great.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Please put your seat at the correct height and learn to be on your bike. Being at the wrong saddle height will just injure you again.

Getting on: Tilt bike, throw one leg over top tube. You are now straddling the bike.
Starting moving: Put one foot on a pedal (clip in) then stand up to lift your butt onto the saddle. Then put the other foot on the other pedal and go. As you go, clip the other foot in.
Stopping: As you slow down, unclip both feet. Step down to the ground, taking your butt off of the saddle into the position of straddling the top tube.

Alternative stopping: As you slow down, unclip both feet. Lean your bike to one side, sticking your foot out to catch you from falling over. (your butt can stay on the saddle)

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

actionjackson posted:

alright, well in either case I'll try to work myself up to 31.5", I would imagine it's going to take a lot of practice.

With the handlebar and stem thing, i just noticed that a wider handlebar was more comfortable - my arms were just going straight out instead of angling inwards. I know this is a separate thing from the saddle but maybe it would be a good idea since I have broader shoulders?

Yeah, definitely. Bar width should correspond roughly to your shoulders. I'm good with 38-40cm bars. 40cm is the comfort option for me whereas 38cm is the go fast option so that's what I have on my roadie. It'll be different for you but you should go for comfort and thus wider.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Honestly even measuring wrong shouldn't result in a >3in discrepancy. When measuring your inseam with a book you should be standing with your feet slightly apart as if you are riding a bicycle, and then jam the binding of the book into your crotch in an uncomfortable fashion. The device the shop used is probably some old school FitKit thing.

Do it against a wall so that the edge of the book can rest squarely against it. Mark the wall with a pencil.

I must require some sort of incredible crotch jamming, because I tried it again (this time using the bob ross art of chill game) and I got 33" again.

Apologies for this very weird picture, but 36" is where my shirt ends.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I must require some sort of incredible crotch jamming, because I tried it again (this time using the bob ross art of chill game) and I got 33" again.

Your…shirt? Come on

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

Where is the book, where is jamming of the book into your crotch? Your actual inside-leg/inseam is not the same as the distance from the ground to the crotch of your jeans.

Either way, we're all in the dark here because yes, it seems unlikely for your inseam to be 36in based on that photo. But that's what your fitter set your saddle height to...the equivalent of someone with a 35.5in inseam according to the Lemond method.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 18, 2021

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

The clown bike weighs 18.5 loving pounds of solid steel. Dios mio

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

1) get a wider handlebar width. My current one is 42 cm. They had me set on a 57.5 salsa war bird that had a 46 cm handlebar with, and it was MUCH better. I no longer had to bend my arms inward. They suggested 44 cm. They also measured my shoulder width before suggesting this number.

2) get a stem with a higher angle, so my handlebars raise up - ideally, the handlebar height would be similar to the seat height.

It's disappointing this stuff wasn't looked at by your original fitter. Checking handlebar width is a gimme.

E: to elaborate, lots of people suggested you go to a fitter to help with your pain and fit issues, and it seems like you got an incomplete picture or explanation of what needed to change and why that was going to help you.

Not only is that a disservice to you individually, but also might discourage other new cyclists in here from taking the same advice.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 18, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Holy poo poo did you put Garmin vectors on it?
I loooove it.

Also: can your toes touch the ground on that thing?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Get in your underwear, jam a book in your crotch, measure to the top of the book while keeping it level (get an actual level to accomplish this if necessary)

When you got fit did they actually sit you on the bike (like put the bike on a trainer and have you sit on it and pedal after they made adjustments)?
If not, go back and demand they fix it or a refund

If they did and when you sat on it and pedaled and it felt fine, then give the saddle height a try and some time to get used to it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Where is the book, where is jamming of the book into your crotch? Your actual inside-leg/inseam is not the same as the distance from the ground to the crotch of your jeans.

Either way, we're all in the dark here because yes, it seems unlikely for your inseam to be 36in based on that photo. But that's what your fitter set your saddle height to...the equivalent of someone with a 35.5in inseam according to the Lemond method.

Alright, I took a book and pushed REALLY hard, it was actually painful and I lost my ability to produce children. Then I made the pencil mark - the number is higher than I found before (not surprising given I pushed up as hard as humanly possible), but certainly nowhere near 36.2". Looks like around 34.5". That gives me a seat height of 30.4". That actually seems reasonable once I learn to actually clip in properly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Levitate posted:

Get in your underwear, jam a book in your crotch, measure to the top of the book while keeping it level (get an actual level to accomplish this if necessary)

When you got fit did they actually sit you on the bike (like put the bike on a trainer and have you sit on it and pedal after they made adjustments)?
If not, go back and demand they fix it or a refund

If they did and when you sat on it and pedaled and it felt fine, then give the saddle height a try and some time to get used to it

Yes the fit was done on a trainer while they made various measurements and adjustments.

kimbo305 posted:

It's disappointing this stuff wasn't looked at by your original fitter. Checking handlebar width is a gimme.

He adjusted the handlebar angle so that it was more flat, and did mention a different stem that would raise the handlebar height. Nothing about width. However I only paid 60 bucks, haha

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Did the guy say he measured you at 36.2" or are you trying to reverse engineer some internet rule of thumb

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vando posted:

Did the guy say he measured you at 36.2" or are you trying to reverse engineer some internet rule of thumb

I'm sorry that was a bit unclear.

The fit person set my seat height at 31.5."

The person at the bike store I talked today used this fit kit thing

https://fitkitsystems.com/product/fit-kit/

using that he set my seat height at 32", which would be equivalent to the lemond rule with a 36" inseam.

so yes that's my bad.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Like I said before, there's no such thing as knee underextension so a lower saddle height by a couple centimeters than what is prescribed by two fitters isn't the end of the world. Within reason of course, too low of a saddle will hurt your pedaling efficiency and increase your perceived effort at the same speeds.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'd also say, at the risk of too much information all at once, that you probably shouldn't go by "when I put the seat at this height I immediately felt knee pain!" because that seems indicative of a lingering injury that you need to let heal. Even if the seat height is wrong it shouldn't provoke immediate pain.

I mainly say that because trying to work around that might lead to difficulties finding the right height. I know you said you have a PT appointment and hopefully that will all get sorted out

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

okay - thank you for the help everyone, I set it at 30.4 based on this 34.5 inseam measurement and will practice clipping in and out in a safe area!

I can't believe I didn't think of tilting my bike, but I'm also the person who posted a video pedaling my bike barefoot.

Levitate posted:

I mainly say that because trying to work around that might lead to difficulties finding the right height. I know you said you have a PT appointment and hopefully that will all get sorted out

yeah, unfortunately I've been very inactive this year as after being 100% wfh for a while I found out my chair wasn't the proper height or depth, so it caused all sorts of chronic pain issues. I got a large Aeron which is a big improvement, but I'm in sort of a recovery period for a while and my body is more sensitive to small changes.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The only way to really resolve this other than us saying "the fitters probably know what they're doing" a bunch is to post pics of your position on the bike, otherwise we're all just guessing if the guy who does this for a living hosed up or not (and it's more likely not).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vando posted:

The only way to really resolve this other than us saying "the fitters probably know what they're doing" a bunch is to post pics of your position on the bike, otherwise we're all just guessing if the guy who does this for a living hosed up or not (and it's more likely not).

yes I'll do that! and with bike shoes on this time

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

I'm looking at the shop's website and social media. It doesn't look like the type of shop that would have a dedicated / expert / PT style fitter.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 18, 2021

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

bicievino posted:

Holy poo poo did you put Garmin vectors on it?
I loooove it.

Also: can your toes touch the ground on that thing?

Yeah, I still hadn’t put them on my Checkpoint because I don’t have a pedal wrench so I figured what the hey.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Thanks. I was in post century exhaustion when I made that post, so to Shadowhand00, I apologize.

I was planning for 100, decided at the last minute to change routes, and when I got to the final stop, I was 85 miles in, checked the distance to home, and found out welp, 23 to go. I rode around the neighborhood a few times to get the 110.

Re: food. I find I can get away with every hour for food, but I went ham with the food on stops yesterday.

Including this wonderful peanut butter sundae:

Yeah, I was going to say, I never said your elevation sucked :). I was more curious where it was.

I have enough experience to know that a flat ride is as tough as a ride with elevation; the toughest 200k I’ve done over the past 2 years was this one:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/2623947

Rolling hills and climbs have the advantage of giving you both something to push against and the sweet sweet downhill. Flats, you’re pedaling constantly with no stopping.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

resident posted:

Yeah, I still hadn’t put them on my Checkpoint because I don’t have a pedal wrench so I figured what the hey.

:krad:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

I'm looking at the shop's website and social media. It doesn't look like the type of shop that would have a dedicated / expert / PT style fitter.

not dedicated, he's done a lot of fits, but it's also a budget option. the other place was 300 so I thought I'd start with this instead.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

not dedicated, he's done a lot of fits, but it's also a budget option. the other place was 300 so I thought I'd start with this instead.

What was the other place?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I've not tried it but I wonder if putting do not disturb on but allowing wife chat to override would work (android that is)

You can filter by app on Garmin, I imagine wahoo will introduce it eventually

On Android, but not on iOS, IIRC

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

highme posted:

I feel you on the whole not feeling ready to do a crank out a bunch of miles on logging roads, or highway 30. This site has a poo poo ton of different routes in Oregon & southern Washington http://www.omtm.cc/omtm-community with a "route of the month" that always looks awesome (if not a bit much for me). The May ride had 4 different variations, so I'm going to tackle the 35 mile loop at some point soon. I've fallen into rabbit holes just reading some of the route descriptions, the writing is entertaining. For example, this bit about the Falls Creek lava caves you can visit on the June route through Gifford Pinchot NF.

http://www.omtm.cc/june-falls-creek-hinterland

I'm actually more wary of the 101 than highway 30, but Astoria to Longview on the 30 is one of the centuries i wanna do. There are are so many forest roads that i could do a gravel century. I just need more time and miles on the saddle

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

What was the other place?

https://www.thefixstudio.com/bike-fitting-gait-analysis/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

resident posted:

Is the fork backwards on purpose, for extra trail/stability?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Is the fork backwards on purpose, for extra trail/stability?

It’s backwards for extra comedy.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
actionjackson, it might be easier to learn to ride with proper saddle height on flat pedals instead of clipless. That way you don't have to worry about falling over while clipped in.

Also, I can see where he's coming from with that fit if he's not used to a saddle to bars drop, could feel like he's going to dive headfirst into the stem. Higher bars would lessen that sensation, wider bars could too I suppose.

Either way, your hips should definitely not have to rock back and forth when you pedal so I don't know how you ended up with that saddle height if your self measured inseam is right. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the crank arms were a different length on the bike fit? If they were shorter than the cranks on your bike, the fit would have prescribed a higher saddle height than what you actually need since shorter cranks effectively raise you up further from the bottom bracket at the bottom of your pedal stroke.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

actionjackson posted:

okay - thank you for the help everyone, I set it at 30.4 based on this 34.5 inseam measurement and will practice clipping in and out in a safe area!

When I started riding, I set my seat low enough that I felt stable. Every few days I bumped it up a quarter inch or so until it was where it was supposed to be. It takes practice!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

spf3million posted:

actionjackson, it might be easier to learn to ride with proper saddle height on flat pedals instead of clipless. That way you don't have to worry about falling over while clipped in.

Also, I can see where he's coming from with that fit if he's not used to a saddle to bars drop, could feel like he's going to dive headfirst into the stem. Higher bars would lessen that sensation, wider bars could too I suppose.

Either way, your hips should definitely not have to rock back and forth when you pedal so I don't know how you ended up with that saddle height if your self measured inseam is right. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the crank arms were a different length on the bike fit? If they were shorter than the cranks on your bike, the fit would have prescribed a higher saddle height than what you actually need since shorter cranks effectively raise you up further from the bottom bracket at the bottom of your pedal stroke.

thanks - the fit (which was quite basic) just stopped at 31.5" after looking at me pedal in a few positions and also I told him how it felt on my end. It wasn't something super precise and he said he expected I would have to adjust the seat height a bit more after seeing how things felt, but just to do it in small increments. No idea about the cranks, I suppose it's possible that the ground to crank height is different on my bike than on some other bikes.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 18, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I spent the evening chasing two of the strongest cyclists I know around and all I got were a bunch of PRs and some cups on Strava and extremely loving sore quads I kinda want to cry a little bit.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Went to my first bike ride ever with those clipless pedals and shoes. Welp I hate clipless. Maybe it is possible to get used to them. I have to try and practice more.

Anyways, the bont riot+ shoes have some kind of "lateral foot support" which means the sole wraps around the forefoot and rises up. On a longer ride I found out my right feet goves over the "lateral foot support" and causes intense pain to my footbed. Also the medial sides of my big toes went numb because of the "lateral foot support" pressing them outward...

I tried to "soften" the hard points on the road, no luck. Only marred the shoe upper. I was ready to bin the shoes until I found out today that it is possible to soften the sole with a heatgun at around 80-100C setting and then use a blunt tool to forcibly modify the sole.

So today's plan is to soften the soles at low heatgun setting, modify them with a blunt end of screwdriver, jam innersoles and my feet inside and wait. And hopefully they set to the new modified position and don't have "Memory" which makes them return to the original shape.

The upper has enough room, no problems. It's the ultra hard, ultra stiff sole which presses on my big toes and right foot's outer footbed...

Chinese chinesium RISK branded 16mm padel axle extenders worked fine. Except apparently the pedal should be flush with the axle extender, which it isn't. The clipless pedals have a slightly longer axle than my regular flat pedals. Today's plan also includes sawing 2-3mm off the clipless pedals axle to make them as long as my flat pedals, so they fit flush with the padel axle extenders. It is risky yes but what can you do with a big foot... :shrug:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 18, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah actionjackson

I get where ac is coming from with the not liking to not make contact thing, my toes are bent flat and taking all the weight when I stand BUT Here’s the thing though, my 33” legs are on a seat which is at 36”- 37” high because my bikes are hybrid, mountain, and an audux road bike that have the geometry to let me do this.

Hard truth is this and I’m not saying this to be a bitch. .

Here’s your choices:

1. get used to the higher height on that bike. You will destroy your thighs if they are at the wrong angle.

1b. You are absolutely not going to do that with clipless, clipless are making you miserable, get flat pedals on it ASAP and if you get used to them then you can swap back. You don’t need clipless, they are a tool that work really well for a lot of people but not for others and that’s fine. I never used flat pedals in my life and in decades of riding not one person has ever even mentioned this, if someone is telling you that real road bikers use clipless or something then tell them that the lady from the Peak District is rolling her eyes at them.

2. Sunken cost fallacy my friend, if you can’t get used to the height you will spend the rest of your life pouring money into that bike, and at some point you got to stop and go for a bike with different geometry - a touring bike that you can sit on and try before you buy or a hybrid.

The hybrid brand that best fits my toes down style is called ridgeback and although I can fit in a 19” the seat is right down 17” and 18” are better. Others would be able to tell you about the tourers.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 18, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

my toes are bent flat and taking all the weight when I stand
my 33” legs are on a seat which is at 36”- 37” high
Not sure if I've grasped what "bent flat" means. I don't think that when people say they're on tiptoe that they're actually doing en pointe like ballet. Well maybe they are if they have carbon soles. But sure, some frames place the bottom bracket / crank spindle closer to the ground and make it easier to make contact from the saddle.

quote:

1b. You are absolutely not going to do that with clipless, clipless are making you miserable, get flat pedals on it ASAP and if you get used to them then you can swap back. You don’t need clipless

I agree to give it a try with flat shoes, but with the qualification that aj was trying clipless to alleviate some hot spotting when riding in sneakers that might have been shoe related but very possibly fit related.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What are my options for an 700c, 80mm valve stem inner tube? The few online bike shops I've checked have been completely sold out, and Amazon only seems to have Continental tubes-- which I've bought in the passed, but I'm always paranoid I'm going to get counterfeit parts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
dawg get some flats until you are comfortable getting on and off the bike and stuff, clips are like advanced territory for ya. imo you can get 95% of the way to correct saddle height looking at a picture of it on the internet and then riding by some windows.

Ihmemies posted:

I tried to "soften" the hard points on the road, no luck. Only marred the shoe upper. I was ready to bin the shoes until I found out today that it is possible to soften the sole with a heatgun at around 80-100C setting and then use a blunt tool to forcibly modify the sole.

Chinese chinesium RISK branded 16mm padel axle extenders worked fine. Except apparently the pedal should be flush with the axle extender, which it isn't. The clipless pedals have a slightly longer axle than my regular flat pedals. Today's plan also includes sawing 2-3mm off the clipless pedals axle to make them as long as my flat pedals, so they fit flush with the padel axle extenders. It is risky yes but what can you do with a big foot... :shrug:

can you return your shoes that dont fit and get some ones that do? and before you cut your axles down (lmao dont hacksaw your axles) try adjusting cleat position so they clear on your new shoes that fit right.