Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
We’re doing a Portugal. The tournament will be a prolonged poo poo that finally emerges in the final.

We may need Kane to get injured though to really replicate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pro level strats there to avoid playing a group F team.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
it's still coming home

but kane must walk

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

Starting to consider the possibility it may not in fact be coming home

I still believe

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

completely shocking match with both sides playing like total poo poo

its coming home though

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Gareth Southgate needs to go home

So that it comes home

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Kane shouldn't start another game, clearly thinking about where he wants to move to.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Southgate played 2 defensive mids against Scotland

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

African AIDS cum posted:

Southgate played 2 defensive mids against Scotland

No more Leeds failsons

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ITV pundits are saying the result was actually due to Scotland being really great, and who are we to argue.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I've done the mafs, and can confirm that it's still coming home

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Will Southgate have the balls to drop Kane?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Her Dryer posted:

No

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
What a shower of poo poo

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Her Dryer posted:

Doubt it, should do. But doubt it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
galaxy braining to avoid group F?

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Feels good and old style England to basically be miserable all game, tiny pang of excitement when we get a corner because there's at least a 50% chance the ball will get into the box.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Feels good and old style England to basically be miserable all game, tiny pang of excitement when we get a corner because there's at least a 50% chance the ball will get into the box.

it's coming home, to a shithouse near you

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Southgate seems to have spent so long preparing to play against superior teams they forgot the training on how to steamroll inferior teams playing a low block.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Her Dryer posted:

He needs Kane to back into him first.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

Southgate seems to have spent so long preparing to play against superior teams they forgot the training on how to steamroll inferior teams playing a low block.

Otoh, England are actually poo poo and have "found their level"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bundy posted:

There aren't any inferior teams in our block

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bundy posted:

tbf that's probably a good thing

old england used to set up with six attacking players because if someone plays a square pass to keep the ball and they "only" win 2-0 against kazakhstan then all the fat dads and lads and poo poo journos who've come for a day out at wembley start booing and making sad brass band noises

then they'd get through to play france/germany/brazil and they'd just counter straight through the middle and chip it over david seaman nine times

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Nonetheless I don’t really think there’s any getting round the fact that Southgate seems to be a bit rudderless and totally unequipped to take advantage of the talent at his disposal. Taking Foden off, bringing Rashford on when there’s no room to run, etc. It all seems like evidence of someone who doesn’t understand the strengths and weaknesses of his players or his opponents.

That said it’s absolutely still coming home

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On that point, he really should have a pretty good idea of who his first-choice wingbacks are. Walker and James are hugely different players, as are Shaw and Trippier. It strikes me as odd that these are the only two positions where he's thought to tinker the starting 11.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Pump fergie full of stimulants and nootropics and get him in

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Time for Big Sam 2.0, now with gradients

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Tell the big fucker he can have all the gravy he wants, a whole pool of gravy, multiple jacuzzis of different types of gravy, literal boats full of delicious thick gravy, if he wins an international tournament. Hell I'll funnel it into his mouth with my cupped hands if i have to.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Is that Phil Foden on the right?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

half cocaine posted:

Is that Phil Foden on the right?

No it's Peter Shilton.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

No it's Peter Shilton.

:thejoke:

oh god I really hope they were joking

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SkySports/status/1406582854990106627
lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
So he’s not playing one of his best attackers because he’s… worried about his feelings?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Southgate has seen how the British media murders player confidence time and again. I see where he’s coming from. At some point you have to give these guys some minutes though or they will never get the experience they need.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Southgate has seen how the British media murders player confidence time and again. I see where he’s coming from. At some point you have to give these guys some minutes though or they will never get the experience they need.

Yeah not sure a literal tournament is the time to be handing out "work experience" picks

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Wrong thread

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
But Sancho isn’t work experience, he’s an experienced and effective performer with a proven track record at Dortmund. If you aren’t giving these promising young players, and indeed proven young players, a chance then you’re doomed to be passing about at the back and making shite, uninspired plays forward forever like we have so far.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah I feel like sanchos proved he's ready, if the press were demanding Bellingham be given a run out itd be different. You'd imagine England are through regardless so he's also got a ready made opportunity to give kane the rest he clearly needs and put Calvert lewin or young Marcus in.

In conclusion bamford would have scored 6 goals by now, Southgate out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
England are at the stage where the obvious answer the idiot manager is missing must be the guy on the bench. It was Graelish until 10 minutes after he came on when it suddenly switched to being Sancho.

The answer never actually is the guy on the bench.

Sancho is a good player and I’d like to see him get some minutes, but the players being picked ahead of him are as good as he is. He’s played for England a decent number of times and he doesn’t transform the team.