Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

qnqnx posted:

get a room

actuslly this is my room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Holy poo poo. RIP, Mr. Lowtax.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Endorph posted:

He had a child support ruling against him for 92.5k + 2.5k/month 2 days ago

Oh he suicided

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

atomicthumbs posted:

lowtax didn't have anything to with that and deserved neither credit nor reward for the concept's eventual popularity
You are correct that he was not responsible for Let's Play in any way, but i've wondered about it before.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NihilistCanada posted:

Well, this sucks.

We all have issues, some more public than others.

This forum helped me get through the worst time of my life.

Thanks Lowtax.
yeah, your D&D posts circa-2005 were pretty loving awful

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
yeah rip

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1458653411050602501?s=20

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Well, he found a way to stop sucking so much. He can disappoint us less now.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Mx. posted:

man i can never get the con hotel... do you know how much it sucks to walk three blocks in fullsuit in pittsburgh summer? sheesh

get there and immediately head to the lounge and sit for like 20 mins lmao

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:
kissinger outlives another one

Lady Wolfram
Sep 25, 2012

Enjoy it while you can
Dude was a POS. Oh well. Now he's eating meat tubes in that Doom House in hell.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

karphead
Apr 20, 2001

you need to post the one with beavis

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bust Rodd posted:

If you open a workshop and someone else builds a bench, you didn’t build the bench, but you did create space for the bench to exist

https://twitter.com/zoomerbread/status/1458630100983943170?s=21

Why is there a guy screaming at his wife near the lathe

Marxalot posted:

The only thing more odd than recognizing people from the forums on twitter is recognizing people from Twitter on the forums.

Cute dog though

thank you

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

I mean, that's about how much kids cost if your clothing and feeding them and sending them to full-time daycare.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Diogines posted:

I could be mistaken but I think watching other people play games on YouTube and Twitch sort of evolved from Lets Plays on SA, right? Did any community online really have a dedicated area to watch other people play games? I could be mistaken but I am not aware of any?

I sometimes wonder if Lowtax saw it that way and felt cheated on not becoming a zillionaire when a concept started on SA later made metric assloads of money?

he did profit from making the LP forum registered users only during the danganronpa Let's Play, which I think was the only good translation of the game available at the time.

e: for what it's worth i registered to read RedChocobo's Pokémon Let's Plays

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
pour out some mangosteen juice for your boy

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Endorph posted:

JFC, what an rear end in a top hat. I mean, he was already an rear end in a top hat, but drat. Hope the kids get something decent from his estate.

Suck my entire cock, lowtax.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Diogines posted:

I could be mistaken but I think watching other people play games on YouTube and Twitch sort of evolved from Lets Plays on SA, right? Did any community online really have a dedicated area to watch other people play games? I could be mistaken but I am not aware of any?

I sometimes wonder if Lowtax saw it that way and felt cheated on not becoming a zillionaire when a concept started on SA later made metric assloads of money?

if he'd had any sense at all he could have been at ground zero on monetizing it with some kind of specialized platform but the only way he could conceive of making money from LPs was by putting up the paywall whenever the dangan ronpa LP updated. unironically the funniest gag he ever pulled tho

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
great thread. the awkward sincere posts about ricky’s legacy are even funnier than the jokes

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:cb:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Former Human posted:

Say what you want about Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, and there is plenty, but I feel bad for his kids.

I hate to tell you this, but in a hosed up horrible way, we're all his kids

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm happy the forums are still open after Lowtax left. Thank you to Jefrey for keeping it going.

I think this place is still one of the only forums that is funny and a great resource for knowledge in the subforums if you hang around.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

spoonce posted:

I know I'll probably be attacked for this (video games are for losers, etc. :rolleyes: ), but this is exactly how I felt when Aerith died. I honestly didn't know what to do, I was pretty much in a daze.. I would go into battle without any materia equipped, I'd forget to heal my characters after battles, completely neglected my chocobos. I would just go to the Golden Saucer and dick around for hours at a time playing minigames... I just didn't see any point to advancing the story, how could there be a story without her? Well, it took some time, but I got over it (and took my revenge on Sephy :D [KoTR + Mimic ftw]), and the point is, I'm sure you will too. If there's anything I'd take from this, it's that life goes on even after losing a loved one, it's just up to you how long it takes. Goondolences.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It’s really too bad he was banned when the site was sold now he can he can’t be banned because he died

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for creating this forum Lowtax, I'm sure you liked me posting on your forums and you being alive, though now that I think about it I bet you didn't enjoy either of those things.

Pleads posted:

rip

this website has had a staggeringly large effect on the trajectory of my life and for that i'll never forgive him

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RIP Lowtax

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ichabod Tane posted:

RIP lowtax, you are dead

:pipe: indeed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I voted 5. Hope this shows up on Digg!

Glomper Squeeman
Jun 11, 2006

The cat does not see the cliff.
rip lmao

monheim
Dec 22, 2009

how're things
hi everyone

Goatshadow
Apr 11, 2002

Rich you done hosed up big time.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
These forums were worth $10 for the KMart thread alone.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2155291

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Lowtax has a complicated legacy but the impact he and SomethingAwful has had on internet culture is unquestionably significant.

LA already posted this, but please try to keep in mind his daughters could see this thread one day; GBS isn't paywalled and you know how middle and high school kids can be. We should endeavor to make sure we don't do anything that will cause them more harm in an already difficult time. The past 36 hours have been an emotional hurricane for everyone and the last things those kids need right now is to run into screenshots of people making crude comments about their father's passing online. Keep it behind a paywall or in Discord.

GFM thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984523

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Endorph posted:

Lowtax taking deadbeat dad to an extreme level.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Mx. posted:

man i can never get the con hotel... do you know how much it sucks to walk three blocks in fullsuit in pittsburgh summer? sheesh

i did this in reno so i do know. they make fursuits with fans inside of them now so they're way more manageable. that's what my suit has

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Wendigee posted:

I'm happy the forums are still open after Lowtax left. Thank you to Jefrey for keeping it going.

I think this place is still one of the only forums that is funny and a great resource for knowledge in the subforums if you hang around.

Same.

brodude
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph.
rest in piss

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kazy posted:

he did profit from making the LP forum registered users only during the danganronpa Let's Play, which I think was the only good translation of the game available at the time.

otoh that was incredibly funny and tumblr was very *very* upset about it, so its impossible to say if lowtax was bad or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
He finally went for too large a road cone, too much hot tar.

RIP rear end.