Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Any of the old final fantasy’s?

FF 1-6 and tactics

Tactics plays well on iOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Saul Kain posted:

I need a good iOS rpg game. i’ve played chrono trigger, the quest and balder’s gate/ice wind dale, kotor anf kotor 2.

Planescape Torment was also ported by Beamdog alongside BG1 and 2 and IWD. They also made Siege of Dragonspear which is BG1.5

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Saul Kain posted:

I need a good iOS rpg game. i’ve played chrono trigger, the quest and balder’s gate/ice wind dale, kotor anf kotor 2.

I think you played the best classic RPGs available on native iOS (I assume you already played the available final fantasy ports), I would suggest grabbing an emulator to play GB/GBA/SNES/PS1/DS/N64 games on there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Secret of Mana has a decent ios port

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

ovenboy posted:

Any hidden gems when it comes to coop games?
Me and my pal have previously played and enjoyed We were here, Divinity OS 1/2 (we'll most likely get Baldur's gate 3 when it's out), Wildermyth, and a poo poo ton of arpgs. I suppose we like tactics and puzzles, as well as Numbers Going Up, and both arcadey/shooty stuff and roleplaying (we both liked Disco Elysium individually). Don't much care for CoD or sports games.

Children of Morta is a really fun isometric action rpg, it's a roguelike with a strong story, gorgeous pixelart and a strong sense of progression. If you want something turn based, For The King is also pretty good.

Saul Kain posted:

The Shadowrun games are on iOS I think.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've got a pretty specific request. I recently tried Snowrunner, and something I really enjoyed was the feeling of repairing infrastructure and making the world more complete, opening roads, fixing bridges, etc. The truck part of the game is too slow and repetitive for me (i don't wanna drive through the same mud patch 3 times in a row for different missions), but I want a game that captures that feeling of repairing a big intricate system, whether it's some kind of machine or an infrastructure network. I don't mean stuff like Factorio or modded Minecraft where I build my own thing, or stuff like Death Stranding. It's specifically the feeling of going into a big pre-made system that's broken, and restoring it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Elswyyr posted:

I've got a pretty specific request. I recently tried Snowrunner, and something I really enjoyed was the feeling of repairing infrastructure and making the world more complete, opening roads, fixing bridges, etc. The truck part of the game is too slow and repetitive for me (i don't wanna drive through the same mud patch 3 times in a row for different missions), but I want a game that captures that feeling of repairing a big intricate system, whether it's some kind of machine or an infrastructure network. I don't mean stuff like Factorio or modded Minecraft where I build my own thing, or stuff like Death Stranding. It's specifically the feeling of going into a big pre-made system that's broken, and restoring it.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 might scratch the itch. It's a bit open ended but far more guided than minecraft - you have certain recipes you need to put together to rebuild a given location and it is very satisfying to go from blank patch of land to self-sufficient little towns

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

On a smaller scale than roads and the like, House Flipper might also scratch the itch a bit.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 might scratch the itch. It's a bit open ended but far more guided than minecraft - you have certain recipes you need to put together to rebuild a given location and it is very satisfying to go from blank patch of land to self-sufficient little towns

It absolutely does, but I unfortunately already played it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Elswyyr posted:

You don't get to fix everything (although even when you don't, you can still record things that are broken) but INFRA might scratch the itch a bit?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Elswyyr posted:

It absolutely does, but I unfortunately already played it.

Ah hrmm... I was in a similar conundrum when I beat it. Banished kinda came close to hitting the spot but it's more of a builder game than restoration.

I know My Time at Portia has aspects of restoring your town

Terra Nil is pre-release but it has a demo, it's kinda the opposite of what you're asking but the mechanics are the same conceptually.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If my favorite part of From games is obscure and missable mechanics, quests, items, and areas, what other games would I like? The ideal result of such a game would be two people who have finished the game discussing it afterwards and they both feel as if the other is describing a different game

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

If my favorite part of From games is obscure and missable mechanics, quests, items, and areas, what other games would I like? The ideal result of such a game would be two people who have finished the game discussing it afterwards and they both feel as if the other is describing a different game

Completely different genre and feel, but regarding your ideal result, the Alpha Protocol thread back then had people constantly describing their playthrough while other were going "wait, how did you get that to happen" or "that's possible???". The thread title was "this loving game" for quite a while because people had that reaction a lot when they saw how differently the game unfolded for others.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 4, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's not for everyone and it's very old-school in design sensibilities, but perhaps Artifact Adventure.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

In terms of being just being really cryptic and having a lot of weird poo poo, the Stalker series. Some mechanics are hinted at by NPCs or not at all, left for the player to discover. Shadow of Chernobyl is the first and the oppressive atmosphere and hosed up monsters are also very From, containing unique hidden items and multiple endings, some of which are difficult to get without looking it up. Clear Skies is also really good in a wtf kind of way.

For having completely different playthroughs, Disco Elysium.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 4, 2022

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

HenryEx posted:

Completely different genre and feel, but regarding your ideal result, the Alpha Protocol thread back then had people constantly describing their playthrough while other were going "wait, how did you get that to happen" or "that's possible???". The thread title was "this loving game" for quite a while because people had that reaction a lot when they saw how differently the game unfolded for others.

I'm not sure any high-profile game of the past 10-15 years had as much major missable content as Alpha Protocol did, unfortunately I don't think it's possible to buy anymore other than finding a used hardcopy for sale somewhere.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, expired music licenses did Alpha Protocol in as for being available for sale. Used copies are generally pretty easy to find on Amazon, though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

gohuskies posted:

I'm not sure any high-profile game of the past 10-15 years had as much major missable content as Alpha Protocol did, unfortunately I don't think it's possible to buy anymore other than finding a used hardcopy for sale somewhere.

Fallout 3 maybe? You could skip chunks of the plot and just join the story later on if you didn't go the way the game pointed you. God, Alpha Protocol was so great.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dragon's Dogma is always top in my mind when somebody is looking for a game like it's Dark Souls but also different from Dark Souls in a million ways. It is a very weird and obtuse.

Fallout New Vegas makes a big point of being a big game where you could just aimlessly wander and hit upon a million weird different things, and there's 4 different main ways to finish the game. There's also a fair amount of mechanics that you can choose to not engage with much like cooking or gun customization.

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is extremely open-ended and has huge chunks of the map that you can just never get pointed towards even when you're doing the full proper way to beat the game by doing all the sacred beasts, and if you ever want, you can just skip right to the end to fight the final boss (just he'll be stronger and you'll be weaker than if you did all the extra stuff). Not really much obscure mechanics. There's a few mechanics you can miss but on that front it's mostly straightforward. You might could also try the original Zelda, since it's very obtuse.

For a game with just obscure and mysterious mechanics, try Victoria 2.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
For a completely different genre (Diablo - like ARPG) Path of Exile has a stupid amount of crazy interlocking mechanics, although it's more like they're obscure through sheer numbers of them than deliberately obfuscated.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Immersive sims like Deus Ex, Dishonored, and Prey can be beat really quickly by running from goal to goal and shooting a couple of dudes in the face, or you can take hours upon hours to explore every nook and cranny. So many optional areas and hidden secrets! Deus Ex 1 especially, with entire hidden bases in the game, and you can uncover some parts of the plot in the first mission that won't be really relevant until 20 hours later, or find a hidden area with both nice loot and lore implications.

For another completely different genre: almost every Disco Elysium playthrough feels like a complete story with not much missing, but there is tons and tons of content hidden, not available to everyone, and lots of small choices, dicerolls, and builds that will impact a lot of stuff in the game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Caves of Qud, maybe? I have 90 hours in it over multiple characters yet people in the thread routinely mention enemies and mechanics that I've never encountered even once.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Some friends and I have being playing Heroes of the Storm for the past few years, but none of us want to support Blizzard, and I'm looking for something new we can try that's largely skill-based, competitive, and isn't an FPS. One of us has played League of Legends before, but it didn't seem to be a big hit when it was suggested. I'm definitely open to ideas outside the MOBA genre.

We've looked at Valheim and similar titles but unfortunately base-building/survival games don't do it for the whole group (normally 3-4 of us). I would love to get some recommendations I could pose to the group as we look to find better game studios to support.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

Some friends and I have being playing Heroes of the Storm for the past few years, but none of us want to support Blizzard, and I'm looking for something new we can try that's largely skill-based, competitive, and isn't an FPS. One of us has played League of Legends before, but it didn't seem to be a big hit when it was suggested. I'm definitely open to ideas outside the MOBA genre.

We've looked at Valheim and similar titles but unfortunately base-building/survival games don't do it for the whole group (normally 3-4 of us). I would love to get some recommendations I could pose to the group as we look to find better game studios to support.

Rocket League?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had dismissed that because it wasn't 4-players on one team, but it may work for when there's just 3 of us, thanks!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The main mode in Rocket League is 3v3 but there is a 4v4 (unranked) mode

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Elswyyr posted:

My Time At Portia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Another 3p option is Awesomenauts. I had a friend who was pretty into it before he started playing Heroes of the Storm. I'm sure there's a lot of other mobas to get into like dota, but Awesomenauts is the one I really enjoyed. It's side-scrolling and has a lot of wacky characters. There's also For Honor, which is this whole medieval action thing where you play as either knights, vikings, or samurai. Very different, supports 4 players. Maybe Sea of Thieves?

Those are the only online competitive games I know fitting that model. There's a number of co-op campaign games like Magicka, which is a silly wizard thing. Viscera Cleanup Detail is a bit of a chill first-person cleaning experience where you can get angry at your friends tracking blood everywhere. There's a sort of genre of multiplayer co-op games with Overcooked, Out of Space, Unrailed, We Need to Go Deeper, and Lovers in a Dangerous SpaceTime, which are sort of puzzle games where you the players must coordinate while running around and getting in eachother's way to collectively beat each level. Some of those even have demos.

Or you could see if you like more free-for-all games with lobby randos with Among Us or The Ship.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

FreshFeesh posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/663670/Killer_Queen_Black/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FreshFeesh posted:

Bit of an out of nowhere suggestion but Planetary Annihilation is very fun 2v2 with shared resources, or if there's 3 of you you can go pubstomping.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is almost certainly going to go on sale on or around April 19th if a three player co-op PvE shooter is up your alley.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Pathologic

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FreshFeesh posted:

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance with the Forged Alliance Forever overhaul/rebalance and community. Top down, 1v1 to 8v8, massive maps, massive stompy robits, nukes, artillery, massive explosions. Games usually take about an hour for larger teams/maps.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 5, 2022

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

FreshFeesh posted:

Alien Swarm?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FreshFeesh posted:

give Battlerite a shot, maybe

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Thank you all!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm curious to know about any games with a specific setting: a weird far future with cool technology but you play as a guy with a sword. Essentially I'm thinking Samurai Jack (which, btw, is the 2021 game any good?) but just curious if any other games of any genre are set in that kind of thing.

I know about Horizon of course.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

External Organs posted:

I'm curious to know about any games with a specific setting: a weird far future with cool technology but you play as a guy with a sword. Essentially I'm thinking Samurai Jack (which, btw, is the 2021 game any good?) but just curious if any other games of any genre are set in that kind of thing.

The FF7 remake has the main character use a sword in a very high tech science fantasy world.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

External Organs posted:

Hyper Light Drifter

For less far futures: Cyberpunk 2077 is katana central, or there's Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

comedy answer: any Star Wars game where you play a jedi.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

External Organs posted:

Katana Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Furi