Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Mega Comrade posted:

Curious how it will effect the 2nd hand market.

Curious whether Nikon can and do cannibalize glass from F lenses for building Z lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I guess Nikon had a now ended refurbished sale with D5 XQD bodies for only $1,999. drat.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Z9 is selling well, everybody wants them. It's an incredible do-everything camera. Video people in particular got interested with the 2.0 firmware that unlocked amazing raw video capability making this a credible cinema workhorse.

However, Red.com is now patent trolling Nikon and claims infrigement in the video compression technology that Nikon is licensing from a third party. The third party is not named in the suit.

https://petapixel.com/2022/05/26/red-sues-nikon-for-infringing-on-its-video-compression-patents/

The description of the patent sounds like simple algorithmic stuff that you wouldn't think were really patentable. As I understand it, it has to do with re-ordering RGB bayer matrix subpixel channel data in the compressed output stream, storing the lower resolution red and blue pixel data as a proportional derivative of the green 2x resolution channel. Whatever it really is, it is a simple and highly parallelized process that can run efficiently on multi-core designs both in decoding and encoding, and which supposedly is the secret to why Z9 can record raw 8K60 video to card internally without overheating, and why it's relatively easy to edit on a workstation with a fat GPU.

For now no injunction has been granted, and the 2.0 firmware is still available for download, and new cameras can load it no problem. But I sure hope Nikon won't have to peel out these video features. I guess the second best outcome (after case dismissal) would be Nikon and Red agreeing to some kind of license scheme so new cameras sold after a certain date wouldn't have these features enabled unless user pays for them through installation of a license file or something, similar to the Z6II / Z7II HDMI raw output modes that were also subject to special license terms.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Red sues or otherwise dissuades pretty much anyone who puts compressed raw into a video camera. They did it to apple, sony, DJI, Kinefinity, and I'm sure others. The third party is intoPix. My assumption is that their raw patent doesn't conflict with Red's because it's about the algorithm and whatnot, while Red's is about having compressed raw in a camera.

I hope they can sort something out too, but in the past Red usually seems to win these things.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

powderific posted:

I hope they can sort something out too, but in the past Red usually seems to win these things.

Yeah, and the big reason is because the US Patent Office granted them a patent on in-camera raw that should never have been granted in the first place. If you read the actual patent, it describes in-camera raw in such broad strokes that it pretty much grants Red exclusive rights to it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

First time poster in this subforum, I hope this belongs here.

I first got into photography as a hobby 15 years ago (combined with work in the Navy), and eventually wound up with a reasonable kit. After a long hiatus, I've found myself taking more photos again, and of course with 15 year old gear, stuff breaks, so now I am wondering what to do next.

Current gear:

Nikon D300 (34k shutter actuations, my main camera)
Nikon D70s (40k shutter actuations, not really in use anymore, but it still works)
Nikon SB-800 flash (with an assortment of eneloop batteries)
Nikkor 18-200 VR (the original with red VR-logo, autofocus has issues)
Nikkor 50mm F1.8 AF
Sigma 30mm F1.4
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

I mostly use the D300 with 18-200 for "casual" photography, and the 18-200 now refuses to focus closer than 3ft/1m. It's also binding up a bit when zooming past 130-150 mm, so it's clearly due for a trip to a service center.

Getting that lens fixed is probably going to be $150-300, and I'm not sure that's really worth it. The used DSLR market here is pretty good (e.g. D500 for $1k with 16k shutter actuations, D5100 with 18-200VR and 50mm F1.8 AF-S for $300 etc), so I'm not opposed to just do a wholesale upgrade.

I don't mind staying in the DX world, and grabbing the D500 mentioned above + a used D5x00 "kit" mainly for the lenses + backup body is something I'm seriously considering. How stupid is that? I mainly shoot a mix of landscape and motorsports, so a D500 for $1k is very, very tempting as a "my last DSLR" upgrade.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You can get 2nd hand Nikon 18-200 for probably cheaper than getting it fixed.

As for options. I think a D500 or maybe a D7200/D7500 would be good options. If you're just getting into photography again you don't want to jump all into mirrorless and find out it was a temporary phase before you drop out again. But yes, this camera will likely be your last DSLR. They might stick around for a little while longer but all the companies are winding down their non-mirrorless work.

One thing to keep in mind, if you grab any of the new AF-P lenses (and you should consider them for DX, very light and very good for the price) You will need to check compatibility. D7500 works out the box, D500 needs a firmware upgrade. They will mostly work with a D7200 but you cant turn off the VR, which might not be an issue for you.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well, looks like I'm dipping my toes into FX, came across a barely used (1500 shutter actuations) D750 with a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 G2 for $1200, checking it out after work tomorrow.

E: I bought the D750. Holy poo poo this thing is good.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 23, 2022

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://nikonrumors.com/2022/07/12/nikon-to-stop-making-dslr-cameras-withdraws-from-slr-development-after-60-years-of-history.aspx/

RIP, F Mount.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Brrrmph posted:

RIP, F Mount.

Thread title delivers.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

viz:
Photo taken with the 200-500 f/5.6 lens, at 200mm zoom position. 1/2000s. f/5.6. 900m distance to subject. 1:1 pixel crop (~1/8 width of source image.)

Do get it fixed, it's a fine lens sharp and un-distorted at wide-open aperture for entire zoom range.

It's been out for repair since April and still no parts. Thinking about calling it off and selling it for what I can and getting a Z 100-400 4.5 and 1.4 TC instead. Although looks like those are getting bought up as fast as they can make them.

RIP F Mount and photographic arts: Press Z to F art

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, lookie what showed up today. Took a god drat long time to source one here in commieland.

Just been playing around with the settings (900+ page manual, good god). It is so, so much quicker in every way than the Z6/Z7 and so far the tracking seems pretty exceptional. Going to do some proper shooting in a few weeks so we'll see how it performs on birds. The animal eye thing seems almost like cheating but I'll take it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

It's been out for repair since April and still no parts. Thinking about calling it off and selling it for what I can and getting a Z 100-400 4.5 and 1.4 TC instead. Although looks like those are getting bought up as fast as they can make them.

Huh. I’ve been meaning to send my D810 in for a “replace mirror box, shutter, AF module - just give me the works and set this thing up for another 500K shutter actuations” service but I wonder if it’s too late and I’ll have no choice but to buy a new camera. Seriously, it’s still ok for landscapes with MUP and EFCS but this thing has gone all floppy on me. Shame if it couldn’t be brought back to like newish condition.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Fabulousity posted:

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Shame if it couldn’t be brought back to like newish condition.

Dunno about North America, but I had a Nikon D4S serviced in Singapore just a few months ago. That's about as old as the D810. (The AF focus servo had died & the lovely oddities in my old screw drive glass collection is why I keep it around.) My impression is that they will continue to service all high-end DSLRs while parts last.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, lookie what showed up today. Took a god drat long time to source one here in commieland.

Congratulations. It's one hell of a camera.
Tell us about the lens. Why that one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Just been playing around with the settings (900+ page manual, good god). It is so, so much quicker in every way than the Z6/Z7 and so far the tracking seems pretty exceptional. Going to do some proper shooting in a few weeks so we'll see how it performs on birds. The animal eye thing seems almost like cheating but I'll take it.

Congrats! I had a chance to pick one up a few months back, but couldn't quite pull the trigger.

Curious bout what you think of the 40mm. I've been on L mount for a minute but would really like to get back to Nikon for stills. The 40 or 28 on a Z5 intrigue me as a cheap-ish way back in.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The 40 is pretty darn nice to be honest. Sharp and quick to focus. Doesn't have a lot of "character" but it's a very competent lens with pleasing enough rendering. A 40 + 24-200 makes for a really solid travel kit; I don't really feel the need for a faster lens since f/2 is plenty for modern bodies with their excellent high ISO performance. If I really want the "best of the best" the Sigma 40/1.4 is sitting next to it in the lens cabinet but that's a wee bit bulkier...

It's on the Z9 right now because it was just the lens I brought along to check out the camera. Most of the time the Z9 will have a 500PF+FTZ mounted.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hey fellow Z9 shooter. Do me a favour and tell me if your batteries start squawking about needing to be calibrated all the loving time.

It’s a weird bug that seems to happen constantly.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Yeast posted:

Hey fellow Z9 shooter. Do me a favour and tell me if your batteries start squawking about needing to be calibrated all the loving time.

Happened to me once right after I stupidly dropped the battery on a stone floor.

I suspect the BMIC in the battery pack momentarily got disconnected and reset somehow.

Had to re-calibrate and that took hours. Since that, no problems. That was 2 months back.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Huh. I’ve been meaning to send my D810 in for a “replace mirror box, shutter, AF module - just give me the works and set this thing up for another 500K shutter actuations” service but I wonder if it’s too late and I’ll have no choice but to buy a new camera. Seriously, it’s still ok for landscapes with MUP and EFCS but this thing has gone all floppy on me. Shame if it couldn’t be brought back to like newish condition.

Specifically the 200-500 5.6 in question had broken VR but otherwise worked fine. I've long since forgotten when they said the specific broken piece was, a flux thingamawhopper, but at the end of the day they can't seem to get another one. The point is my issue hopefully doesn't mean getting a D810 a nice day at the spa should be problematic.

That said B&H Photo just got a new pile of Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Lenses and one is on track to be delivered to me tomorrow :dance: The corresponding Z TC 1.4 is still listed as back ordered with no expected arrival date.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I got into D1s and D2s for some dumb reason and now I have way too many of them. Also D100s. I have 5 D100s I’m dum

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Can I ask why? Not trying to camera shame.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Brrrmph posted:

Can I ask why? Not trying to camera shame.

They’re so cheap if you watch for the right listings and the reason I end up with so many is to get some hard to find accessories or it’s just dirt cheap but mint. So one might come up with the grip, RRS l-plate, 5 batteries, original box, screen protector (yes trivial but hard to find!) so I’ll snag that up for pennies like $60. Then another one will come up mint but the owner doesn’t have a charger so letting it go as-is for $15. Oh no the as-is one has a broken mirror mech. Nice seller full refund keep the camera for parts. I’m counting the broken one. That’s mostly for D100.

For D1/X/H it’s just getting the as-is ones for dirt cheap to get parts and building them up into working and hood looking cameras. A lot of those are ‘no charger, can’t test, as-is, $20’. The chargers and working batteries for D1 series are very rare so you see a lot more untested but dirt cheap listings.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 25, 2022

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Been playing around the Z 100-400 with hummingbirds and the below crops from throw away shots have some pretty wild visual anomalies going on. Is this weirdness from how VR is trying to compensate or is something wrong with the lens?

Tri-winged hummingbird:

Flubber hummingbird:

Detached tri-wing hummingbird:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 25, 2022

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Been playing around the Z 100-400 with hummingbirds and the below crops from throw away shots have some pretty wild visual anomalies going on. Is this weirdness from how VR is trying to compensate or is something wrong with the lens?

Tri-winged hummingbird:

Flubber hummingbird:

Detached tri-wing hummingbird:

Looks like rolling shutter which means you're using too slow of a shutter speed. Hummingbirds in flight need 1/1000 bare minimum, preferably 1/2000 or faster

If you're using that fast then I'm not sure, maybe it's an artifact of it being out of focus?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Electronic shutter has rolling issues even at high speeds, just cranking up the shutter speed won’t help. You need to use mechhanical shutter to get away from the issue.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ah, I didn't know that (I still use a D500)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Huh my D1s have 1/16000 mechanical shutters but none of my pro bodies made after D1 go that fast. I wonder why. Unreliable exposure? Too hard on the parts?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Shaocaholica posted:

They’re so cheap if you watch for the right listings and the reason I end up with so many is to get some hard to find accessories or it’s just dirt cheap but mint. So one might come up with the grip, RRS l-plate, 5 batteries, original box, screen protector (yes trivial but hard to find!) so I’ll snag that up for pennies like $60. Then another one will come up mint but the owner doesn’t have a charger so letting it go as-is for $15. Oh no the as-is one has a broken mirror mech. Nice seller full refund keep the camera for parts. I’m counting the broken one. That’s mostly for D100.

For D1/X/H it’s just getting the as-is ones for dirt cheap to get parts and building them up into working and hood looking cameras. A lot of those are ‘no charger, can’t test, as-is, $20’. The chargers and working batteries for D1 series are very rare so you see a lot more untested but dirt cheap listings.

This is a fascinating commitment to 20 year old digital camera bodies.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Eh I use a D850/D500 for 'real' work but its fun playing with the really really old stuff and seeing how different the photos turn out but also how good they still are. Most folk on IG/FB whatever wouldn't really be able to tell especially with a modern lens which these cameras do support.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Brrrmph posted:

This is a fascinating commitment to 20 year old digital camera bodies.

That's the great thing about film cameras, the sensor is only as dated as the roll you've got loaded.

Finally bought a replacement body for my dear departed F4 earlier this month and it's been a blast shooting again after ~5 years. Provided my old grips.

I also got a bunch of Japanese newspaper with it which I enjoy greatly

Now I just have to make some photos that don't suck.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Shaocaholica posted:

Eh I use a D850/D500 for 'real' work but its fun playing with the really really old stuff and seeing how different the photos turn out but also how good they still are. Most folk on IG/FB whatever wouldn't really be able to tell especially with a modern lens which these cameras do support.

Oh gotcha. I wrongfully assumed you were fixing these up to be daily shooters.

I have a D70 with a broken shutter that I got for free. I think I’m gonna practice painting it and then see if I wanna paint one of my working cameras.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Brrrmph posted:

Oh gotcha. I wrongfully assumed you were fixing these up to be daily shooters.

I have a D70 with a broken shutter that I got for free. I think I’m gonna practice painting it and then see if I wanna paint one of my working cameras.

I mean I would totally daily a D1 since my 'work' cameras come out pretty infrequently. D100 daily probably more practical tho. D300 and we're already so modern might as well just use the D500/Z50 or whatever.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 26, 2022

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Huh my D1s have 1/16000 mechanical shutters but none of my pro bodies made after D1 go that fast. I wonder why. Unreliable exposure? Too hard on the parts?

I think the 1/16000 speed was partially reliant on the CCD sensor and wasn’t purely mechanical. The Canon 1D was also capable of 1/16000, again with a CCD.

The Z9 will do 1/32000 but lacks a mechanical shutter entirely.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Clayton Bigsby posted:

The Z9 will do 1/32000 but lacks a mechanical shutter entirely.

Oh thats news to me. Cool. I've been putting off reading about Z series stuff since I'm not gonna switch for a bit.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean I would totally daily a D1 since my 'work' cameras come out pretty infrequently. D100 daily probably more practical tho. D300 and we're already so modern might as well just use the D500/Z50 or whatever.

I'm curious what a side-by-side shot of a D1 vs. a D850 would look like. I reckon if it's a high contrast shot the 850 would take the 1 to school in terms of dynamic range but beyond that would it look much different?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
D1 DR sucks. D2 DR sucks. I have both. However they look fine when you have good light or controlled light.

I can post some samples when I sift through them for keepers and when new batteries arrive. 99.9% of the original D1 Ni-MH batteries are dead or hold enough charge for maybe 5min. Also there seems to be 1 charger for every 10 cameras on eBay. No aftermarket chargers exist. Aftermarket batteries dried up long ago too but some new old stock aftermarket batteries exist out there. Aside from the photographic/operation challenges power is a huge challenge too but I’ve been fixing power things since college so it’s something Im comfortable in.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 27, 2022

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just lol that D1(X) and D2H on a 4k display there’s no 100% zoom in LR/PS. You’re looking at the whole photo and pixel peeping at the same time man.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Shaocaholica posted:

Just lol that D1(X) and D2H on a 4k display there’s no 100% zoom in LR/PS. You’re looking at the whole photo and pixel peeping at the same time man.

I have about 50-100 keepers from my D1 period with just pitiful small 2K resolution and I wish there was an AI upscaler that could use detail from other photos taken in the same shoot and produce something that didn't look like melty crap when upsized by 2x.

To my eternal regret, for the first year I owned the camera I hadn't figured out a raw workflow and the D1 had infamously lovely looking JPEG colors. Whatever few articles remain online about the subject suggests that the D1 JPEGs were encoded with NTSC color space instead of sRGB. But I don't think that is actually true. At least just assigning that color space to the images don't fix them to look right. I have a really shoddy LUT that kind of sort of creates human looking skin colors. The D1 NEFs are generally great looking though, considering their age.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There are tools to convert from NTSC to something else but effort. I also read they have weak IR cut filters so you get IR contamination which makes certain tones more magenta and to fix it you just put an IR cut filter on the lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

powderific posted:

Electronic shutter has rolling issues even at high speeds, just cranking up the shutter speed won’t help. You need to use mechhanical shutter to get away from the issue.

Yeah, this was the ticket. I had enabled "silent shooting" which forces electronic shutter at all times. I've since put it back on auto which seems to manage itself pretty reasonably with the default settings.