Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Or you should slow down on your 200k/year hookers and cocaine habit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It's EMERGENCY cocaine ok!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I finally reached five figures in my emergency fund! :toot: :unsmith:

:toot:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

H110Hawk posted:

It's EMERGENCY cocaine ok!

Without it, I could go even blinder! Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOyJmMLl2BY

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Commissar Kayla posted:

Spouse and I got to a point with our savings where he can retire to become a house-husband while I keep working for a bit longer, probably through any upcoming recession, at my extremely easy WFH job.

Having a house-spouse is awesome.

Omg you're basically describing my and my partner's 2 year out dream. She's making great money now and I'm really unhappy in my profession after the past few years, so she keeps saying that she'd like make me into her house boo. And I do all the gardening and most of the cooking and this all sounds great to me....

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Paid off our condo today :toot:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

One day closer to death. Which means one less day of expenses :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

Amazing, congratulations!

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Cacafuego posted:

Congratulations 👏

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I was taking a look at my goals document, which I started sometime around 2012. In the domain of work/career, I aspired to make $20 / hour (I was un- or underemployed for a while). Since then, I updated the goal to $60k / year (2015?) and $125k / year (2019?). I work at a FAANG now and I'm making a poo poo ton more. I haven't thought back to being unemployed in a while. It's good perspective and also feels good to have so blown away my wildest dreams.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

feels good to have so blown away my wildest dreams.

Perfect Username/post combo

Also, congrats!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Happiness Commando posted:

I was taking a look at my goals document, which I started sometime around 2012. In the domain of work/career, I aspired to make $20 / hour (I was un- or underemployed for a while). Since then, I updated the goal to $60k / year (2015?) and $125k / year (2019?). I work at a FAANG now and I'm making a poo poo ton more. I haven't thought back to being unemployed in a while. It's good perspective and also feels good to have so blown away my wildest dreams.

hell yeah brother

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
401k is officially maxed out for the year. First time ever hitting that. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

401k is officially maxed out for the year. First time ever hitting that. :toot:

gently caress yeah! Congratulations!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
In all of 2021, I earned $33.88 interest.

In October 2022, I earned $38.49.

Upping my savings game like a boss :smug:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

In all of 2021, I earned $33.88 interest.

In October 2022, I earned $38.49.

Upping my savings game like a boss :smug:

Nice!

:five:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Only a wee bit jealous. The last few years my bank account hasn't made enough interest to be taxable, never mind nearly $40 a month.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Today I called my credit union and scheduled the payoff for our mortgage. As soon as that clears, we are officially debt free :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

dreesemonkey posted:

Today I called my credit union and scheduled the payoff for our mortgage. As soon as that clears, we are officially debt free :toot:

:hellyeah: I’m probably 6-7 years away from that but I can’t wait. Congrats!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Didn’t have any major unexpected expenses in 2023 so far.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I've been working since I was 15, and am now, going into 40, financially secure potentially for the remainder of my existence. It's a bizarre feeling.

The next goal is to actually start to invest properly, as I haven't really been in a position to do so until now.

Jows
May 8, 2002

My wife and I hit $1MM net worth when we updated our monthly balance sheet! We've been dancing near it for the last year+ and it's nice to finally cross the threshold!
:guillotine:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jows posted:

My wife and I hit $1MM net worth when we updated our monthly balance sheet! We've been dancing near it for the last year+ and it's nice to finally cross the threshold!

Nice work, that's a big milestone! Do you mind sharing your age? My wife and I are probably a few years away from the $1MM mark and we're 40/39.

Jows
May 8, 2002

40/42

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Jows posted:

Well done! Slowly accumulating on what would have looked like an unimaginable amount compared to my parents and then getting over a threshold like that was kept me punching away for years with purpose.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Oh hey, after seeing this post, I checked ours and apparently we blew past 1MM to 1.2MM without even knowing :lol:. We’re 43/43.

Congrats :toot:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Are you guys just talking cash and investments or including homes and such?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My net worth is $40k, no home, dying alone.

I’m right on the heels of all you millionaires!!!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Retirement accounts, brokerages and savings as well as equity in houses. For instance, we own 2 homes, 1 is paid off (~$300k based on local comps) and we owe $120k on the second (~$200k based on local comps). We have no debt beyond that $120k 2nd mortgage. The second is being rented by my in-laws. Like, if we sold everything now and put it into the bank, we’d have $1.2MM. I thought that was how you calculated net worth, but I could be wrong!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

spwrozek posted:

We hit 1mm in cash and investments this month and then immediately spent a few grand on some house stuff and a vacation. We don’t really count our equity since we only own our primary residence, but that’s over 400k so sometimes it pains me not to consider it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Retirement accounts, brokerages and savings as well as equity in houses. I thought that was how you calculated net worth, but I could be wrong!

There are Big Opinions on this on the internet but the one true answer is however you like. I personally believe it's the total sum of all assets less any liabilities, as you calculated. Some people exclude their primary residence because you need a place live no matter what and even without a mortgage there is substantial hidden liability in ownership through various upkeep costs which are hard to calculate.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Brain Curry posted:

We hit 1mm in cash and investments this month and then immediately spent a few grand on some house stuff and a vacation. We don’t really count our equity since we only own our primary residence, but that’s over 400k so sometimes it pains me not to consider it

Jesus you rich

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My net worth is $40k, no home, dying alone.

I’m right on the heels of all you millionaires!!!

:lmao: same

surc
Aug 17, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

There are Big Opinions on this on the internet but the one true answer is however you like. I personally believe it's the total sum of all assets less any liabilities, as you calculated. Some people exclude their primary residence because you need a place live no matter what and even without a mortgage there is substantial hidden liability in ownership through various upkeep costs which are hard to calculate.

I've never understood the whole debate tbh, words aren't some scare resource, just use "liquid net worth" or "savings" or something to talk about non-house-including stuff they're both important. Owning a house 100% impacts your costs and has value but it's also very much different than having several hundred k in an index fund or whatever.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

surc posted:

I've never understood the whole debate tbh, words aren't some scare resource, just use "liquid net worth" or "savings" or something to talk about non-house-including stuff they're both important. Owning a house 100% impacts your costs and has value but it's also very much different than having several hundred k in an index fund or whatever.

Oh but you see dear poster, the other people are wrong on the internet.

I use biggest number theory for "total net worth", savings is where I self-correct (but always in my head WANT to ask clarifying questions) of "well, do you mean retirement (401k/iras), cash savings, brokerage money we haven't specifically tied up in a 'retirement account' but also haven't committed to anything else like a bigger house or whatever?" then realize 99% of people don't give a drat what I mean.

All that to say it's good to know from these past few posts that the line at the :guillotine: will be long.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

In this economy? Who has the free time to track down and behead every millionaire anymore? Just help us eat the actual rich and you're all good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I may not be able to behead every millionaire, but as long as we are trying our best then we are doing our best :)

Jows
May 8, 2002

I consider my house an asset because my job is in the middle of BFE, but I live in actual civilization. If I really needed to I could sell my current house and buy a bigger house much closer to work and come out way ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah uh is this is a french revolution thread or a thread of goons just posting happiness about personal milestones? I realize people are goofin' around a bit but in general let's just keep it about goon happiness, please. nobody posting here is in the french revolution neighborhood

that said, different financial institutions will sometimes ask about balance sheet net worth vs. liquid net worth for different purposes

edit: work -> worth, stupid autocorrect

pmchem fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 6, 2023