Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Subvisual Haze posted:

I see NVDA, one of the 5 largest stocks by market cap in the US, jumped +7% today on no news.

Arm IPO coming up and NVDA says it wants to be an anchor investor.... Maybe? 4D chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Space Fish posted:

But enough about $GOON finally submitting its De Novo application to the FDA

Yep, within 150 days from now to hear back. That's why they delayed the stockholders meeting. Fingers crossed, someday we'll be diamond... or poop.

Michael Burry updated his portfolio, S&P500 (SPY) puts & QQQ puts, almost everything, for $1.6 billion in puts. The Big Big Big Short I guess! I'm sure he'll be buying $GOON soon...

If Lex Luthor was a stockbroker, he'd probably look into Hawaiian Electric Industries (HE), price drops 40% on fears they started the wildfires in Maui. Seems like a stretch, people think they are the same as Pacific Gas and Electric with vintage 1920's power lines but I don't think that's the case. Actually thought about buying this stock a year ago, I guess in the future, energy providers have a risk of being blamed for starting wildfires and facing political fallout...

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ARTPUP posted:

Michael Burry updated his portfolio, S&P500 (SPY) puts & QQQ puts, almost everything, for $1.6 billion in puts. The Big Big Big Short I guess! I'm sure he'll be buying $GOON soon...

Ehh it was 1.6B in notional, from what I can see it looks like he bought maybe ~10M in puts. Still a lot, but he's got a lot, so probably just establishing a medium-ish hedge.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Baddog posted:

Ehh it was 1.6B in notional, from what I can see it looks like he bought maybe ~10M in puts. Still a lot, but he's got a lot, so probably just establishing a medium-ish hedge.

Correct, and this was also the 6/30 report so he likely adjusted his position throughout July's insane bull push.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's always depressing to see so called financial news outlets repeat obvious lies like that.

If I bought a $1 put on SPY at $444 strike expiring this Friday I would pay $100 ($1 * 100 shares) for that contract. However the notional value of that 1 contract is $44,800, because it controls 100 shares at current $448/share SPY price.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Fidelity is just down? I cant log in on apps or website lmao

https://twitter.com/Fidelity/status/1691526924902846464

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Burn Zone posted:

Fidelity is just down? I cant log in on apps or website lmao

https://twitter.com/Fidelity/status/1691526924902846464

Kinda slow but works for me. Didn't try to enter an order though.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Mine shows my 401k but not my IRA or brokerage. So pretty useless.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ smart money people, I won one of the top prizes in my local state lottery today and it’s 200k United and States bucks. I want to split it to my two daughters, my niece who actually scratched the ticket I bought, and a zygote who currently exists inside my wife; so 50k each i guess

How do I, a numbers idiot who took geometry three times to get a C and thinks an extra 20 makes my week, best invest this for the upcoming years so they (1/1/-1/6) can be unworried when they hit 18/22/whatever

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stop gambling for one

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:toot:

I wouldn’t ask the gambling thread where to put this money, you’re likely to lose it all.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jesus Christ smart money people, I won one of the top prizes in my local state lottery today and it’s 200k United and States bucks. I want to split it to my two daughters, my niece who actually scratched the ticket I bought, and a zygote who currently exists inside my wife; so 50k each i guess

How do I, a numbers idiot who took geometry three times to get a C and thinks an extra 20 makes my week, best invest this for the upcoming years so they (1/1/-1/6) can be unworried when they hit 18/22/whatever

Open 529 plans for each of them and deposit some regularly for educational expenses like tuition room and board etc.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Gaius Marius posted:

Stop gambling for one

Yeah, they should invest those winnings on Tesla puts instead of gambling with them

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah open a 529 plan for each child; I think you can invest up to... $70k? per child as a one time catch-up payment I think

I think generally there's two ways to redeem the payout, a lump sum which gets a significant (40%?) haircut or a fixed monthly payment which in real value decreases over time. I would look at the high inflationary period we're in right now and weigh taking the lump sum up front, put 50k into each 529 and then whatever's left over, tuck half of it away in SPY as a rainy day fund and then go pay off credit cards or other high interest debt with whatever's left over

Or just yolo it into SOFI :toot:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
You can open a 529 plan in any state, you don't need to live or go to school in the state the plan is administrated in so look at the fees and maybe performance, but more fees since performance can fluctuate.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Depending on various factors you will be paying 40-50% in taxes or so, dont attempt to spend $200k of your $100k (net) winnings

Baddog
May 12, 2001
529 plans can differ a lot between states. I'm in a good one with access to a very low fee vanguard etf. And we can writeoff 529 plan contributions against state taxes, so an immediate 4.4% gain on your money.

I think there are a lot worse ones, but not quite sure if there are ones so bad that its just better to do something else with it. Figure out how to contribute into a roth ira for your kids?

Congratulations btw! Now stop playing the lottery, heh.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Baddog posted:

529 plans can differ a lot between states. I'm in a good one with access to a very low fee vanguard etf. And we can writeoff 529 plan contributions against state taxes, so an immediate 4.4% gain on your money.

I think there are a lot worse ones, but not quite sure if there are ones so bad that its just better to do something else with it. Figure out how to contribute into a roth ira for your kids?

Congratulations btw! Now stop playing the lottery, heh.

Roth requires the child to have taxable income unfortunately.

Yeah I don't really think performance is a good measure since it's chasing past performance but fees are something you can kinda control so 1-2% per year is really what you should look for. It's been years since I looked them up so I don't want to give bad advice as to which state is best.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

read the OPs in these threads, including flowcharts:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256838
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

ask additional questions in one of those

save money to pay the taxes on all that next year

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

GME calls

Jows
May 8, 2002

pmchem posted:

save money to pay the taxes on all that next year

Do you have to make a quarterly payment on gambling winnings to avoid an underpayment penalty?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Jows posted:

Do you have to make a quarterly payment on gambling winnings to avoid an underpayment penalty?

Safe harbor rule will protect you from underpayment penalties as long as you paid in at least the amount of the previous year's tax owed.

I assume the lottery earnings would be treated like normal income for tax purposes. So probably mostly in the 24% fed tax rate range. State tax depending on your state.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Safe harbor rule will protect you from underpayment penalties as long as you paid in at least the amount of the previous year's tax owed.

To make this a little more clear for what it usually means for people - if the amount of 2023 payroll taxes withheld is higher than the total amount you owed in 2022, you will not be penalized for underpayment. So if you are making more money this year and your withholding situation hasn't changed you are usually good (unless you continually have big investment gains you aren't paying quarterly on every year).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

My favorite new dumb theory is that $X (US Steel) is going to be bought out by Elon because he wants control of the $X symbol for X/Twitter. It's just stupid enough to maybe be correct.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

My favorite new dumb theory is that $X (US Steel) is going to be bought out by Elon because he wants control of the $X symbol for X/Twitter. It's just stupid enough to maybe be correct.

i thought it would happen within 2 years but we could be on the speedrun timeline:

pmchem posted:

I want the dumbest future where Elon has Tesla acquire a controlling interest in U.S. Steel, “to vertically integrate Tesla manufacturing”, when it’s really just to get their stock ticker for his dumbass X rebrand of twitter before he takes the company public again.

Give it 2 years.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Dang, if only you had trusted your intuition and bought calls then. Looks like $X jumped 20% in one day last week on news of a different buyout offer.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Subvisual Haze posted:

I believe Cleveland Cliffs is buying US Steel.

Also the funniest part of this meme is that the union has the right to kill any deal for US Steel and would never sell to Elon

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

I believe Cleveland Cliffs is buying US Steel.

Also the funniest part of this meme is that the union has the right to kill any deal for US Steel and would never sell to Elon

i mean, technically nobody is buying US Steel just yet. but yeah CLF or MT are the most likely winners

esmark was maybe getting financing under the table from elon, who knows

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02585-7

LK-99 is a bust. We won't be getting revolutionary tech this decade. Goondolences to anyone who put longshot bets on it being real.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I feel like citi has become my pet project stock by now, although I still don't own a position. yet. (edit: I owned some much earlier in the year). I'm sure yields are murdering their bond assets but it IS at nearly march 2020 covid lows and oct '22 lows. at least a couple of twitter accounts are holding their nose and buying, look at how they describe it haha:

https://twitter.com/Valuefinder01/status/1691936416538742891?s=20

"piece of s stock"

"fairly trash"

know what you're buying I guess

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mrmcd posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02585-7

LK-99 is a bust. We won't be getting revolutionary tech this decade. Goondolences to anyone who put longshot bets on it being real.

quote:

Several red flags popped out to Derrick van Gennep, a former condensed-matter researcher at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who now works in finance

This is why we don't have a room temperature superconductor yet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CLF is going to buy X and then Elon is going to buy and privatize CLF/X, sell the mining and steel operation to Tesla for full vertical integration, and take X public as a SPAC as $X

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Can CLF buy X, retain all the actual steel company stuff, and sell just the stock sticker "X" to Elon or are stock tickers owned by the index and can only be given out by the index?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Femtosecond posted:

Can CLF buy X, retain all the actual steel company stuff, and sell just the stock sticker "X" to Elon or are stock tickers owned by the index and can only be given out by the index?

Not sure if you can sell just the symbol but musk could merge Twitter into X if CLF spun off an X hold co after they bought the steel company stuff.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

pmchem posted:

I feel like citi has become my pet project stock by now, although I still don't own a position. yet. (edit: I owned some much earlier in the year). I'm sure yields are murdering their bond assets but it IS at nearly march 2020 covid lows and oct '22 lows. at least a couple of twitter accounts are holding their nose and buying, look at how they describe it haha:
I also kind of like $C. I've sold some puts on it previously that I bought back for quick profit and also have some $42.5 puts still open that are now right at the money. I wouldn't mind getting assigned some shares, it seems well valued with a good dividend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spin off starlink via IPO, use IPO proceeds to buy X, also $X now known as X*

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Subvisual Haze posted:

I also kind of like $C. I've sold some puts on it previously that I bought back for quick profit and also have some $42.5 puts still open that are now right at the money. I wouldn't mind getting assigned some shares, it seems well valued with a good dividend.

I'm with you on this one at $42.49

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I joined the C mania, but in a high risk low success manner.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I see Fidelity is being glitchy again. At least I can view my account today, but trying to view some options info is giving the error message

"We're sorry. You've requested a feature that requires a personal account (brokerage, IRA, 529, etc.)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

friendship ended with incompetent fatty liver finder. now busted megabank is my best friend