Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Anyone know which player this is?

quote:

In the early 2000s, a future England international had a clause in his deal that every time he played a certain number of games (believed to be between 10 and 15), his salary quadrupled. The club had forgotten about it though and, having allowed it to roll on unabated, did not have the money to stump up.

The agent used it to his client’s advantage by compromising with the club and having them agree to commit to a release fee of around a tenth of his true value instead, which saw him win a big move.

https://theathletic.com/4798862/2023/08/31/football-transfers-buy-back-release-clauses/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
How the gently caress do you forget a clause like that. It's like the legend about the guy who invented chess getting one grain of rice on the first square of the board, doubling it on the next, until he ends up with 18 quintillion grains on the last. Which is great if you love rice.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

hadji murad posted:

Would be nice if Chelsea used some of their academy players instead of buying others.

Brighton is just another name for "Chelsea Academy" OP.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds have signed Glen Kamara, completing about 5 years of being linked with us, and Ilia Gruev, who I definitely know a lot about

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
More ......

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1697218078000447571

hraringly bloingler
Feb 22, 2005

If you squint it looks like Diego Costa

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I know nothing about baseball but supposedly Boehly's baseball team did something similar, just bought every halfway decent young player for huge money amortized over many years with the assumption that enough of them would come good and you could sell them for a profit each year to counterbalance the amortization of all the money you spent up front

the downside to making this approach work in football seems to be that they don't know anything about football

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1697203806071619701?s=20

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1697190113745293466

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1697159951381119142

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why are Man City paying Wolves in euros

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I know nothing about baseball but supposedly Boehly's baseball team did something similar, just bought every halfway decent young player for huge money amortized over many years with the assumption that enough of them would come good and you could sell them for a profit each year to counterbalance the amortization of all the money you spent up front

the downside to making this approach work in football seems to be that they don't know anything about football

Counterpoint Todd is a genius and the 500 Brazilians won’t follow in the footsteps of Nathan, Lucas Piazon, Kenedy, and Mineiro.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

vyelkin posted:

The Dodgers are the second most valuable baseball team in the US (worth over $4 billion, second to the Yankees) and they don’t really have to worry about selling players for profit. They just spend spend spend to try and win championships and the value of the franchise prints money for them. Especially if they’re loaded with good players.

They lead the league in average game attendance, about 47000 tickets sold per game, with an average ticket price of $85 and 81 home games per year their gate revenue is over $300 million a season.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They also have a $334 million/year local RSN televsion rights deal, plush merchandising (relatively small) and some national TV money (also relatively small).

The amount of money in US franchise based major sports is ridiculous and has exploded in the last 30 years. It's been just 20 years since Frank McCourt was able to collateralize a couple of parking lots in Boston to buy the Dodgers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

vyelkin posted:

That's not at all how Major League Baseball works, but it is true that the Dodgers have an excellent development system that churns out quality prospects that they can either package together to trade for established stars or use to supplement expensive players on the roster to keep the team as close to the luxury tax threshold as possible.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1697271722485899643

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
can't wait to see reggie turn into prime roberto carlos for pooshited

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1697307175679369511?s=20

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Second coming off Henry, that

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shammypants posted:

Second coming off Henry, that

He’s going to be the new owner?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/mcgrathmike/status/1697290528583278833?t=7ap3bzviBvjUAIsaMO7Kfg&s=19

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

an_mutt posted:

£20m is worth the punt [on Gravenberch]

quote:

Fixed fee €40m

margesimpsondisapprovalnoise.wav

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

TheRat posted:

Wolves are probably in the top 5 most Portuguese things on earth, just slightly lower than cork and bifanas

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

TheRat posted:

I would assume it’s so the tweet can say 60 instead of £52 or whatever after all the hemming and hawing over the transfer fee the last few days.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1697300736462180489

This guy going for the bag again after going to China? So sad because he is one of the most fun players to watch, similar to someone like Allain Saint Maximin.

Palhinha to Bayern would be a coupe, I rate him but Kimmich is probably still better all around so I am guessing he is on the way out in the near future.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Uh, cool I guess!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He barely played for Bayern lol

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Vegetable posted:

Steven Gerrard never even made the bench for Bayern and look how that turned out

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

J Hume posted:

Steven Gerrard never even made the bench for Bayern and look how that turned out

A cascade of funny

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Few times I seen him off the bench, he looks alright and physical he has really good height+ speed. But Tuchel kinda played him in random positions, maybe because he doesn't have clear strengths? To me he seems like a CM with attacking mindset but Liverpool already have Szoboslai and Mac Allister. Really weird signing since he isn't a DM to cover for Endo and Curtis Jones/Harvery Elliot are so good. Seems too expensive to be a bench player. Just shocked that Klopp still hasn't bothered signing another world class CB despite Konate being so injury prone and Van Dijk not being as good as before. I actually think Gomez and Matip are decent. But Joe Gomez who covers for Konate he himself is insanely injury prone and Matip lacks pace/fitness.

Actually wouldn't have mind them signing someone like Ibanez from Roma who went to Saudi for 30m. Probably super high wages but that guy is very promising despite few mistakes here there on Roma, very high pace for a CB.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Leeds have signed Glen Kamara, completing about 5 years of being linked with us, and Ilia Gruev, who I definitely know a lot about

9 out of 10 orphans can't tell the difference

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1697418335552508117?s=46&t=46YaUyNFIy0O71YrUwG5HQ

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Over 2000 are tracking Gravenberch’s flight and I’m happy to admit that I am one of them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I have long given up on understanding these transfer fees for Brazilian players with some potential.

- Gabriel Moscardo. Defensive midfielder. So unremarkable that his first professional contract paid him the equivalent of US$1000 a month. Corinthians, in an act of desperation trying to avoid relegation, has him play 7 or 8 matches. Chelsea offers 18 million, Corinthians wants 25.
- Pedro, from the very same Corinthians. striker, played for all youth divisions of the Brazilian national team, more successful but a bit younger than Moscardo. Sold to Zenit for 9 million.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Thank gently caress it's transfer deadline day.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Xabi posted:

Over 2000 are tracking Gravenberch’s flight and I’m happy to admit that I am one of them.
The eagle has landed.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Good for him. Hope he can turn his career around after the injuries and poor form. He had a lot of potential once. Still 22 though.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1697491521598087419

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Frankston posted:

Thank gently caress it's transfer deadline day.

Hoping for big deals for all my faves

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

lmao this is peak comedy

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
did nazi that one coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc