Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-rest-of-bill-belichicks-career-hinges-on-the-next-two-weeks-152047823.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Bienemy has the hotshot young (for the NFL) OC thing going. I really don't see why it would be bad for him to take the interim especially if it comes with firing Del Rio. He leads them to .500 with Sam Howell of all people that's only upping his resume. There's every reason to not give a single poo poo under Rivera but Bienemy is a really candidate and would be a splash hire for new ownership. The roster isn't exactly bad (outside Howell) either. The Commies don't HAVE to be bad this year.

Historically, interim coaches promoted to full-time have a vanishingly low success rate, with way more Mike Singletarys than Dan Campbells. From the ownership's perspective, they want a flashy new hire, not to just keep the interim guy and make it look like they "settled." And from the coach's perspective, you're effectively shutting yourself out of the market if you're in demand.

There's just very little upside and a ton of risk, especially for a guy like Bienemy who's trying to jumpstart his career. Coaches hate interim jobs because it's viewed as a dead end, often for good reason.

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

If you do well you're not getting a HC job either, you're stuck taking another Assistant gig
Both Dan Campbell and Todd Bowles leveraged interim gigs into their resumes for head positions.

Docjowles posted:

But yeah agree Bieniemy should turn that poo poo down even if it's offered to him. Just like Evero did in Denver. Keep the stink of being the captain of a sinking ship off you as much as possible
Evero didn't take it because he's been BFFs with Hackett since college. He only took the DC position because of him and wanted out after he was gone.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 6, 2023

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Both Dan Campbell and Todd Bowles leveraged interim gigs into their resumes for head positions.

Evero didn't take it because he's been BFFs with Hackett since college. He only took the DC position because of him and wanted out after he was gone.

Campbell had to wait 5 years and his interim run was largely seen as a joke. Bowles waited 3 years and needed a successful run as DC (plus the backing of Arians) to get the Jets job. I don't think either of those guys got a major boost from being a caretaker for half a season.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah it took years and a stint under a very highly regarded Head Coach for Campbell to finally get a shot. The interim job in Miami arguably set him back by a few years.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Benne posted:

Campbell had to wait 5 years and his interim run was largely seen as a joke. Bowles waited 3 years and needed a successful run as DC (plus the backing of Arians) to get the Jets job. I don't think either of those guys got a major boost from being a caretaker for half a season.

The three most successful interim HCs in recent memory were Basaccia in LV, Raheem Morris in ATL, and Steve Wilks in CAR. All are assistants still

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Benne posted:

Historically, interim coaches promoted to full-time have a vanishingly low success rate, with way more Mike Singletarys than Dan Campbells. From the ownership's perspective, they want a flashy new hire, not to just keep the interim guy and make it look like they "settled." And from the coach's perspective, you're effectively shutting yourself out of the market if you're in demand.

There's just very little upside and a ton of risk, especially for a guy like Bienemy who's trying to jumpstart his career. Coaches hate interim jobs because it's viewed as a dead end, often for good reason.

I still completely reject the idea from an ownership standpoint that Bienemy wouldn't be a a flashy hire if things go ok. It's him and Ben Johnson for hot candidate next hiring cycle if the offense keeps going. It's a flat out silly notion. They're going to be interviewing him at the end of the season as is.

Campbell was a pre-McVay/flashy young OC trend interim on his 5th year of coaching in 2015. Would that Campbell who'd been under Phillibin and Sparano been the same guy as the one who spent 5 more years under Payton? That's a much improved resume. Bisaccia (special teams), Gregggg (defense), Morris (defense), Saturday (lol) and Wilks (defense) were not offensive guys like those teams ended up hiring. Darrell Bevell and Joe Philbin are the only recent OC's to get interim gigs. It could be a dead end but I just don't see it as something that has to utterly tank him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Campbell went on Paytons staff in NO for a while and built up his resume a bit, and who knows if he would have had the same success if he did not do that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wilks I feel would have been retained if the Panthers had an established QB but the owners had seen a floundering offense since Cam's shoulder got exploded on a late hit and it makes some sense to try and bring in a modern offensive mind to mold a rookie QB.

Instead we chose Frank Reich who is calling an offensive scheme ten years out of date and paired it with a front office that had just traded away not only our best offensive piece in CMC but then traded the next best in DJ Moore and expected it to pan out by replacing them with mid tier free agents.

But I think that also speaks to the larger point which is that it's unlikely that a team with a functioning offense and top even - half of the league QB is going to fire their HC mid season for performance. In which case - you're likely going to cut bait on a few things including front office staff and get rid of a bunch of veterans on contracts and just embrace the rebuild. I get the argument that a good coach can coach any team, but I can also see the way teams look at an interim and decide their best move would be to just start fresh everywhere.

I just don't understand how coaches can just think all the poo poo they did wrong the last time would work this time around for... reasons. Like Reich. Like is it beyond someone like Reich to sit back and go - "well the QB situation sucked in my tenure in indianapolis but I must have contributed something - let me think what that was" and after a week of soul searching you land on "not a drat thing - lets run it back". Like loving how?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

More teams should do like the Colts and just go batshit crazy when they hire an interim coach.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BlindSite posted:

I just don't understand how coaches can just think all the poo poo they did wrong the last time would work this time around for... reasons. Like Reich. Like is it beyond someone like Reich to sit back and go - "well the QB situation sucked in my tenure in indianapolis but I must have contributed something - let me think what that was" and after a week of soul searching you land on "not a drat thing - lets run it back". Like loving how?

Some see the paycheck (that they're still getting paid, albeit elsewhere) as vindication that they did something right, so why would they change? The location, scenery and personnel around them changed, and that's good enough for them in their minds

At any given moment, in any given situation, it's the easiest* thing in the world to say if something went wrong, it couldn't have been because of anything you yourself did. (*It being stupid and selfish and cynical doesn't make it not easy). Happens far too often

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You also surely have to have incredible self confidence and ego to reach the point of being a head coach. They don’t strike me as a super introspective breed. Mike McDaniel might be an exception, I have a lot of respect for his story of overcoming alcoholism and basically restarting his career after washing out.

Also weirdly, Dan Campbell? Despite the off the charts high T meathead persona

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Frank reich has also had the entire nfl media community washing his balls nonstop for his entire colts tenure so it makes sense that he might be smelling himself

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Docjowles posted:

You also surely have to have incredible self confidence and ego to reach the point of being a head coach. They don’t strike me as a super introspective breed. Mike McDaniel might be an exception, I have a lot of respect for his story of overcoming alcoholism and basically restarting his career after washing out.

Dan Campbell had to go through an agonizing 0-10-1 stretch before he got his first win that had every flavor of loss in the rainbow. It had blowouts, blown leads, heartbreakers, a record breaking field goal off an uncalled false start, A TIE, the traditional Lions Thanksgiving Pantsing, it just had everything. There were points where it was clearly wearing on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0EX6jv7kk

What I'm trying to say here is, to retain your ego and your sanity at the same time while being head coach of the Detroit Lions is clearly impossible. You must discard one or the other. :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MCDC getting teary eyed is when he truly won me over and I knew we were destined for greatness

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Wilks I feel would have been retained if the Panthers had an established QB but the owners had seen a floundering offense since Cam's shoulder got exploded on a late hit and it makes some sense to try and bring in a modern offensive mind to mold a rookie QB.

Instead we chose Frank Reich who is calling an offensive scheme ten years out of date and paired it with a front office that had just traded away not only our best offensive piece in CMC but then traded the next best in DJ Moore and expected it to pan out by replacing them with mid tier free agents.

But I think that also speaks to the larger point which is that it's unlikely that a team with a functioning offense and top even - half of the league QB is going to fire their HC mid season for performance. In which case - you're likely going to cut bait on a few things including front office staff and get rid of a bunch of veterans on contracts and just embrace the rebuild. I get the argument that a good coach can coach any team, but I can also see the way teams look at an interim and decide their best move would be to just start fresh everywhere.

I mean Reich did go out and hire consensus one of the most experienced coaching staffs around, and unlike the last time he went into a situation where they were getting a quarterback in the 1st round of hte draft, not a revolving door of retreads. Based on his actions, it's pretty obvious he felt his tenure in indy was mainly because they could never establish a decent quarterback and then of course towards the end the roster - and especially the oline - just fell apart.

I am with you that trading away 2 of your best players in christian mcaffery and DJ moore didn't make a ton of sense. You know who would really help a young qb struggling? CMC and DJ Moore.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Docjowles posted:

Dan Campbell is a meathead, but some local reporting suggests that he exaggerates it for effect.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

adaz posted:

I mean Reich did go out and hire consensus one of the most experienced coaching staffs around, and unlike the last time he went into a situation where they were getting a quarterback in the 1st round of hte draft, not a revolving door of retreads. Based on his actions, it's pretty obvious he felt his tenure in indy was mainly because they could never establish a decent quarterback and then of course towards the end the roster - and especially the oline - just fell apart.

I am with you that trading away 2 of your best players in christian mcaffery and DJ moore didn't make a ton of sense. You know who would really help a young qb struggling? CMC and DJ Moore.

Obviously those two would be upgrades over what the panthers have now on offense. But they were also on the team for years of struggling QBs and didn't help them at all. And the Panthers offense vastly improved after Wilks took over and decided they were going to run the ball 40 times a game with Deonte Foreman. I'm really not that against the CMC trade and I think it was...not a terrible move.

The Moore trade is obviously the stupid one, moreso because he was on such a good contract as opposed to CMC. No idea why they didn't ship Burns out instead.

Know what would really be helpful? A good blocking tight end that can also catch. Too bad the Panthers passed on Darnell Washington to trade up for a 25 year old rookie who did nothing in college and hasn't seen game action yet.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
it was actually an extremely good idea for the Panthers to trade CMC, unless it had been to any other team than the one that they did

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Dan Campbell is a meathead, but some local reporting suggests that he exaggerates it for effect.

Yeah I remember a press conference last year where he was pretending he didn’t know they even had a trick play in their arsenal (a pass to Sewell maybe). It was obviously a joke but the internet blew up with hot takes about what a doofus he was lol

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I think it was a fake punt, which makes it doubly funny because the season before, they actually did fire their special teams coordinator for going rogue and calling a fake punt without anyone else knowing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1711086540997230955

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

This is dangerous misinformation and lies

The Patriots have actually been outscored 69-3 in their last eight quarters

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

His two worst losses in his career, back to back weeks

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1711103424756854905

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Benne posted:

This is dangerous misinformation and lies

The Patriots have actually been outscored 69-3 in their last eight quarters

Nice.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Have wet considered that Kawa is right?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Have wet considered that Kawa is right?
For so long have we mocked him and failed to heed him, but in truth he is an avian-obsessed Cassandra.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

so how hot is bills seat. Medium or toasty?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

really queer Christmas posted:

so how hot is bills seat. Medium or toasty?
I dunno but he is in trouble. I dont think Kraft fires him mid-season but if this keeps up they may "mutually agree to part ways" at the end of the year

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the panthers turned down 2 first rounders for brian burns

goooooooooooooooood god

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

goooooooooooooooood god

Should be frantically calling to get that offer back

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

goooooooooooooooood god

Panthers had what may have been one of the worst off seasons ever between the picks they gave up, the picks they didn’t take, and the coach they hired.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Panthers had what may have been one of the worst off seasons ever between the picks they gave up, the picks they didn’t take, and the coach they hired.

Looking forward to the future Secret Base video on it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dunno but he is in trouble. I dont think Kraft fires him mid-season but if this keeps up they may "mutually agree to part ways" at the end of the year

I have a hard time seeing Bill being capable of this even if it’s pretty clearly time. He’s gonna need to be physically removed from the building

lol us Pats fans thought this year was going to be better

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I have a hard time seeing Bill being capable of this even if it’s pretty clearly time. He’s gonna need to be physically removed from the building

lol us Pats fans thought this year was going to be better

They have a top 3 pick in the draft as of this moment, and they know this QB and this GM aren't the answers going forward instead of needing another year or two to figure that out. In a way, that is better

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

They have a top 3 pick in the draft as of this moment, and they know this QB and this GM aren't the answers going forward instead of needing another year or two to figure that out. In a way, that is better

This is fair. I had mentally written off the next few years as farting around with 7ish wins until Bill finally retires. If Kraft has the balls and lucidity to rip off the bandaid… well, it will be interesting at least. And my god the current pats are the furthest thing from interesting football

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kraft is 82 years old, does he want to sit through a long rebuild? I think the wacky bullshit is just getting started whenever Bill finally leaves.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Kraft can’t fire Bill because if he does, Bill will release the Hog Tape

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benne posted:

Kraft is 82 years old, does he want to sit through a long rebuild? I think the wacky bullshit is just getting started whenever Bill finally leaves.

Does Kraft have any children who would inherit the team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Docjowles posted:

This is fair. I had mentally written off the next few years as farting around with 7ish wins until Bill finally retires. If Kraft has the balls and lucidity to rip off the bandaid… well, it will be interesting at least. And my god the current pats are the furthest thing from interesting football

He already went on record pre-season that he doesn't care about Bill chasing the wins record, he wants wins, period. They don't even have wins, plural, right now

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/03/27/patriots-notebook-kraft-still-believes-in-belichick-but-expects-results/