Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in seeing how the autofocus works as well. If this turns out to be a 24MP junior Z8 with slightly slower framerate $2k is a smokin' deal.

Looking at the forums and articles there's not the usual amount of bitching about how Nikon have completely failed everyone once again so they must've done something really right with this one.

Ha!

Yeah, if it is indeed Z8 junior I’m gonna be tempted to buy my first Nikon mirrorless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Perhaps I just have more affinity to the era it's aping, but the Zf looks the part way more than the Df.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

While I wait for the Zf, is there a good and up-to-date list of all the Z-mount lenses, including third-party? I'm not expecting to go out and replace all my F-mount stuff, but it'd be nice to know my options for upgrading, or filling in the gaps (never did get around to replacing my busted gray market Tamron macro—which I didn't know was gray market when I got it :negative:)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

404notfound posted:

While I wait for the Zf, is there a good and up-to-date list of all the Z-mount lenses, including third-party? I'm not expecting to go out and replace all my F-mount stuff, but it'd be nice to know my options for upgrading, or filling in the gaps (never did get around to replacing my busted gray market Tamron macro—which I didn't know was gray market when I got it :negative:)

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z-lens-roadmap

The chart on this page is dated for June but it's still accurate today with the possible exception of the 135mm prime. It's not clear if the 135mm Plena that was announced earlier in the week is supposed to occupy that spot or if another S lens is in the works. Further down the page they also list some auto-focus third party lenses.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice firmware update to the Z9. Adds bird and airplane subject detection:

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/10/04/nikon-z9-firmware-update-version-4-10-released.aspx/

Tried it out earlier this morning with the 180-600. Seamless and sticky. Did lose it a bit when the bird's head went behind some thin long grass, but other than that, it's even better.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I need to update mine, will this weekend.

So, the Plena - possibly the best ‘gently caress it why not’ purchase I’ve had in a while. I hope it does some fun subject isolation stuff.

It’s been an expensive end to the year with the Zf and that.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Nikon to announce the Nikkor Z 600mm f/6.3 PF this week: https://cameratimes.org/confirmed-nikon-nikkor-z-600mm-f-6-3-pf-lens-coming-on-october-10th/

Nikon has also stated they will no longer provide lens release roadmaps.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Fabulousity posted:

Nikon to announce the Nikkor Z 600mm f/6.3 PF this week: https://cameratimes.org/confirmed-nikon-nikkor-z-600mm-f-6-3-pf-lens-coming-on-october-10th/

Nikon has also stated they will no longer provide lens release roadmaps.

It feels weird that a 6.3 is $4,800; I'm guessing the size and weight will definitely entice people. I'll have to see some comparisons to the 180-600 but it's just so much cheaper and people love it.

Marklar fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Someone posted a basically new in box Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8S for a price I couldn't refuse.

So I guess I have two 85mm lenses now :downs:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I wandered into my local and they had received the Zf the night before, so I ended up with the kit with the 40mm

They also had the Plena on the shelf, but I didn’t have time to dick around with it, looks good tho!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Whoa. I thought Nikon said demand outpaced supply already. How’s it feel initially?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Marklar posted:

It feels weird that a 6.3 is $4,800; I'm guessing the size and weight will definitely entice people. I'll have to see some comparisons to the 180-600 but it's just so much cheaper and people love it.

Well, the 500/5.6 PF is like $3600 and the 800/6.3 $6500 so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

As for the 180-600 I think Nikon will have failed if the 600/6.3 doesn't outperform it both when it comes to IQ and AF. And the 600 is insanely small and light.

That said, I am planning to purchase the 180-600 myself, but mainly because I already have the 800/6.3 for birding. The 180-600 would be a useful, flexible lens for when you need shorter focal lengths for bigger wildlife.

Should Nikon release a Z mount D500 (i.e. Z9 AF with an APS sensor, ideally 30-35MP) that and the 600/6.3 would make an absolutely bonkers birding setup though.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Brrrmph posted:

Whoa. I thought Nikon said demand outpaced supply already. How’s it feel initially?

Pretty good! My wife more or less abducted my Zfc a few months ago, so I was pleased to see the Zf get announced.

It's much more substantial to hold, the dials are lovely. AF performance is lovely. The handgrip is def a pain in the butt, so I'm looking forward to the small rig grip arriving via redemption.

I wanted a camera to take photos of my kid, and when I'm out and about that's not in anyway connected to my work cameras, so it'll do well for that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
How is the screen AF point working for you?. It's a decent compromise but think I'd still prefer a physical control stick.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Adorama shipped my Zf early, and now that I've had a few hours to play with it, I don't know if I actually like the physical dials. It would be one thing if they went the Fuji route and had you indicate shutter priority or aperture priority based on which dials were set to auto, but since the Zf has a shutter dial in addition to the PASM dial, I just can't really think of any situations where I'd actually be using it. You still have to flip it to M or S for the shutter dial to do anything, at which point it's just faster and easier to use the command dial on the back of the camera.

And even though I don't have issues holding my X100F, the added weight of being a full-frame camera and the hefty F-mount glass that I'm adapting makes me miss having a more pronounced bump on the right side. Definitely going to have to pick up a grip or a strap so I'm not paranoid about slipping and dropping it.

One more minor issue is that the selfie mode is kinda incompatible with back-button focus. It disable most of the buttons, including AE-L/AF-L, meaning the only way to focus in selfie mode with BBF enabled is to use the touchscreen focusing. Thankfully I'm not a big selfie guy, but I could see this being more of an issue for some users.

Other than those points, I'm digging it so far. I can't really compare it to the other Z cameras since I'm coming from a D750, but it's definitely a nice upgrade over the last DSLRs Nikon had. Honestly, I'm probably most excited about not having to dick around with AF fine-tuning anymore, since I remember spending way too much time trying to get the phase adjustment just right for each of my lenses. I even ended up returning a Sigma 50/1.4 because the phase adjustment amount was different depending on where you focused

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I honestly can’t imagine there being a lot of overlap between those using BBF and those wanting to take selfies.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You need that smallrig frame/grip thing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I believe everyone gets a small rig handgrip for free if you buy your Zf before the end of October. I haven’t done the redemption yet tho.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Definitely get on that. The actual form factor of the Zf is a crime against ergonomy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hmm, I bought my 40mm kit from Adorama and didn't see anything about a Smallrig offer. But I also got the FTZ II adapter at the same time, somehow had a quirk where I ended up purchasing two—one for $150 and one for $250—and was able to cancel the more expensive one, so I effectively got the adapter for $100 off :toot:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

404notfound posted:

Hmm, I bought my 40mm kit from Adorama and didn't see anything about a Smallrig offer. But I also got the FTZ II adapter at the same time, somehow had a quirk where I ended up purchasing two—one for $150 and one for $250—and was able to cancel the more expensive one, so I effectively got the adapter for $100 off :toot:

Ah right, the Small Rig via redemption looks like its only for certain countries.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hello Nikon friends.

I bought the 60mm F/2.8 D Micro Nikkor for film scanning and a D600 since they're cheap these days. However, when I mount the Macro lens on the D600, the aperture setting is all wrong. It's either giving the wrong number entirely, or I get the 'fEE' flashing error.

What am I doing wrong? I used my fully manual old Nikon lenses just fine with the non-CPU lens option. Is there a way to turn that off? Is my poo poo bugged?

EDIT: I'm dumb and figured it out. My bad.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Im gonna guess you did not set the apperture on the lens to be camera controlled?

That stumped me for an hour when I got my first D lens.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
What’s the real world experience with the FTZ adapter and autofocus performance of F mount lenses? I’m a little bit annoyed with Fuji and I am tempted to trade in my small kit toward a ZF. I have a handful of F-mount as I also shoot a D5. It’s appealing if I can get decent performance out of the lenses that I already own and then maybe I’ll slowly transition to Z mount over the years.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems good to me, but my autofocus needs are definitely not D5 level.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Seems fine and fast to me. I use F-mount lenses for handheld video through a FTZ II.
I sold my D850 but have a D4 still. Its AF is far less on point than the Z9 with the same lenses.
Still want a screw drive version of the FTZ. >:-(

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

FTZ with screw drive and in a retro style would be an instant purchase for almost anyone with a ZF

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

FTZ with screw drive and in a retro style would be an instant purchase for almost anyone with a ZF

I am honestly surprised one of the fancy-adapter companies hasn't made one yet. Maybe the power available through the Z mount electronics is insufficient to drive one and that's the issue?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I saw one company was making a F mount adapter with screw drive motor in it.... but designed for Sony E mount. :smith:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

I saw one company was making a F mount adapter with screw drive motor in it.... but designed for Sony E mount. :smith:

Just stack it with this:
https://techartpro.com/?product=techart-sony-e-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tze-01

and report back

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hahahaha

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Thanks for all the responses on how the F mount lenses perform on the Z bodies. I’m gonna wait for a few more reviews to come out and see if there are any recalls, but it would be fun to pull the trigger on a ZF in 2024.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Just a note - I'm not sure how widespread it is but some lenses just don't work on FTZ with autofocus. I learned the hard way with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3. Talked to 3 different people who told me 3 different thngs before I realized it was actually impossible to get it to autofocus with the FTZ.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The G2 version of that lens works, at least according to Thom Hogan.

Reminds me I need to firmware update my 24-70 G2. That lens is way too good to just leave in the cupboard :unsmith:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wibla posted:

The G2 version of that lens works, at least according to Thom Hogan.

Can confirm the 150-600 G2 works fine on an FTZ.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

First rumblings of another new Nikon Z body showing up. Nikon Rumors suspects this will be the Z6 III:

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/12/12/breaking-news-first-set-of-rumored-nikon-z6iii-camera-specifications.aspx/

Nikon Rumors posted:

It seems that the previously rumored high-speed mirrorless camera will be a new Nikon Z6III. Here are the rumored specifications:

- Nikon Z6III expected in early 2024 (in Q1, between January and April)
- New 24.5 MP BSI sensor
- Better ergonomics compared to the Z6
- 6K ProRes RAW video support
- Pixel-shift
- Vari–angle LCD screen
- Higher fps than Z6II
- Nikon Z8 or similar focusing system
- Mechanical & electronic shutter
- Hybrid body design between the Z6 and Z8 (bigger than the current Z6/7 but smaller than the Z8)

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
sounds like a practical update.

I'm curious if Nikon releases the Z version of the D500 next year. Seems like a no brainer.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I reckon the Z6 III would move to a more expensive price point.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

huhu posted:

Just a note - I'm not sure how widespread it is but some lenses just don't work on FTZ with autofocus. I learned the hard way with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3. Talked to 3 different people who told me 3 different thngs before I realized it was actually impossible to get it to autofocus with the FTZ.

I have an old rokinon/samyang 14mm f mount and it shits itself constantly. Using the ftz ii adapter on a Z8/Z9 it works maybe 70% of the time. Other times it locks up and needs to be off/onned again. I found this out shooting some recent night sky timelapses. :thumbsup:

Not sure if the old rokinon lenses work that great on Z mount either. Apparently that Viltrox 16mm is coming out in January, which should be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I reckon the Z6 III would move to a more expensive price point.

I think it might shift up a little but I imagine Nikon want to stay below the canon R6ii

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 15, 2023