Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I've tried to play Alpha Protocol so many times and I can never get through the first level, I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Alpha Protocol is rare because instead of playing through bad turn based or FPS combat to get to the good RPG parts you're playing through bad early 2000s chest-high-wall third-person shooter combat

I'd still slap a twenty down for it instantly if it ever came back to PC or something more modern than a PS3

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

As much as I hate Domino I do like that the speech choices matter and you don’t auto win by picking the skill check option with him a lot of times.

Alpha Protocol is pretty great and I appreciate that it’s pretty short so I feel fine doing a run through every year or so. Everyone should try a maxed melee run with shotguns starting as a veteran, I find it really fun and you do flying knee hits and stuff with higher points in melee.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I let Dean live because the "happy ending" for Dead Money has the great final speech about letting go.

Also I really like across all the DLCs how they build up the confrontation at the Divide as this momentous moment. Whether or not it was that epic is up to the individual but hearing Christine say "the Divide, where two couriers faced each other under an old world flag at edge of the world" is a powerful image.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 9, 2023

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Dean has been barely scrounging out a living alone in a city full of mutants for no reason other than spite for 200 years (he implies that he's never heard the term ghoul before - while the rest of the Fallout world has moved on and changed, Dean is totally isolated).

The idea of him going to Vegas and trying to act like a big shot when he has no understanding of post war culture or politics is hilarious and very in character.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm sure a few interagations via shaped charges with unwitting wastelanders will catch him up to speed. He's a monster, but he's adaptable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwbITZvKxLk

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I am gonna start a new run in Fallout New Vegas. I have a pretty beefy PC, so what are some graphics mods that can make the game look pretty?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NMC's Texture Pack and Ojo Bueno/Poco Bueno are still going to be the base for a lot of texture changes of vanilla assets. Nowadays a lot more mods are going for full model and mesh replacers.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I haven't messed with Nexus mods in a long time. Apparently the Nexus Mod Manager is now Nexus Vortex? Okay, sure, whatever.

But some mods don't support directly downloading into Vortex and need to be installed manually, like the 4GB patcher. Where should I put those files?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stop using vortex immediately and switch to Mod Organizer 2 otherwise your gonna be back here in a week with a broken game

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've tried to play Alpha Protocol so many times and I can never get through the first level, I don't know why.

The Saudi part of the game sucks rear end. It's worth pushing through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr E posted:

As much as I hate Domino I do like that the speech choices matter and you don’t auto win by picking the skill check option with him a lot of times.

Alpha Protocol is pretty great and I appreciate that it’s pretty short so I feel fine doing a run through every year or so. Everyone should try a maxed melee run with shotguns starting as a veteran, I find it really fun and you do flying knee hits and stuff with higher points in melee.

I want to do an AP run where I use uzis and alternate between the angry responses and the sexual innuendo ones. Basically an Archer run.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gaius Marius posted:

Stop using vortex immediately and switch to Mod Organizer 2 otherwise your gonna be back here in a week with a broken game

Okay got it. Thanks for the heads-up.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You'd be best off following an up-to-date modding guide like the often recommended Viva New Vegas or the more graphics-focused Blue Moon.

Viva New Vegas also has an automated installer option that sets up the whole installation for you, might be something worth looking into.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

You'd be best off following an up-to-date modding guide like the often recommended Viva New Vegas or the more graphics-focused Blue Moon.

Viva New Vegas also has an automated installer option that sets up the whole installation for you, might be something worth looking into.

I came here to ask for this advice

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Anyone else only finish the DLCs? I’ve played through the DLC two or three times but never beaten the main quest. Think I might start a new game over the holidays to finally finish it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's crazy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Back when I bought my Xbox it came with a code for Fallout 76. I never used it because FO76 was multiplayer only at the time and got terrible reviews. I’ve moved a couple times since and have lost the slip with the code- does anyone have a spare one they don’t need they could pm me?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ohhyeah posted:

Anyone else only finish the DLCs? I’ve played through the DLC two or three times but never beaten the main quest. Think I might start a new game over the holidays to finally finish it.

I've beaten it but most of my runs I get through the DLCs and just kinda stop before getting into the endgame. Not like they're a motivation killing slog ornanything (maybe LR) but I do feel pretty satisfied by the time I'm done

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Ooh this is great, thank you!

E: I have an ultrawide monitor but play at a higher resolution using DLDSR, ideally at 5160x2160. What FOV should I use to complement this resolution scale?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 19, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That’s too many pixels

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DaysBefore posted:

I've beaten it but most of my runs I get through the DLCs and just kinda stop before getting into the endgame. Not like they're a motivation killing slog ornanything (maybe LR) but I do feel pretty satisfied by the time I'm done

I often skip the DLCs because I enjoy the main game more. The DLCs have fewer branching options, so each playthrough feels very similar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I usually play up to the point where I get multiple requests to kill Mr House and then I do the DLC and after that it's just loving around with new mods.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: I have an ultrawide monitor but play at a higher resolution using DLDSR, ideally at 5160x2160. What FOV should I use to complement this resolution scale?

Honestly, just feel it out. You can change your FOV ingame by opening the developer console using the tilde key in the upper left of your keyboard (above tab, to the left of 1), writing "FOV 90" and hitting enter. If 90 doesn't feel right, you can try another number like 95, 85 or 100.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS6817ptYpk

Holy poo poo

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This person has put out some bangers but this is :perfect:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Youtuber MittenSquad has passed away. He made a lot of great videos of Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4 challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_x9akvgc40

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chamale posted:

The Youtuber MittenSquad has passed away. He made a lot of great videos of Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4 challenges.

gently caress, he wasn't even that old at all. R.I.P.

:(

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Might be a more fitting question for the mod thread, but after installing VNV via Jabbawack, I keep getting a "Turn on HDR" message every time I load into the game. Is that something I can fix by just turning on HDR via the launcher, or do I need to do something else?

VV: Oh of course, I'm just hoping for a fix without turning on HDR. The game is also too dark so I wonder if it might be related.

Turning on HDR fixed it, that was dumb of me. My monitor isn't great at HDR but it seems that some mod or other is using HDR to do better shaders or textures maybe? Explains why it was so dark too, I'll check when I hit up V34

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 20, 2023

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Might be a more fitting question for the mod thread, but after installing VNV via Jabbawack, I keep getting a "Turn on HDR" message every time I load into the game. Is that something I can fix by just turning on HDR via the launcher, or do I need to do something else?
Be sure to run the launcher via mod organizer.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Serperoth posted:

VV: Oh of course, I'm just hoping for a fix without turning on HDR. The game is also too dark so I wonder if it might be related.

Turning on HDR fixed it, that was dumb of me. My monitor isn't great at HDR but it seems that some mod or other is using HDR to do better shaders or textures maybe? Explains why it was so dark too, I'll check when I hit up V34

HDR lighting in games has been around since like 2006, it’s distinct from actually outputting an hdr image, or your monitor being able to display hdr. games from that era may give you the option to enable or disable it but it quickly became a standard feature that you can’t even turn off. so the her setting appears for a couple of years, disappear for a decade, then reappears meaning something completely different. a little confusing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_rendering

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 21, 2023

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

HDR lighting in games has been around since like 2006, it’s distinct from actually outputting an hdr image, or your monitor being able to display hdr. games from that era may give you the option to enable or disable it but it quickly became a standard feature that you can’t even turn off. so the her setting appears for a couple of years, disappear for a decade, then reappears meaning something completely different. a little confusing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_rendering

Well that explains it, I thought it was some mod or other enabling the modern HDR.

Turning it on fixed my lighting issues so that's good. Been enjoying the game a lot, with some mild console commanding (adding Confirmed Bachelor and Lady Killer perks, a few Wrenches I forgot to pick up, god mode to kill Vulpes and Co at Nipton), and minimal looking things up.

That and the mod that removes weights. Never liked weight management so now I'm just carrying everything I find and just not abusing it too much.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Not tried any yet, but this guy has a bunch of engine improvement mods. Things like reflections and proper LOD.

Also some incredible dasharez0ne energy

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I randomly opened the thread to this and it's pretty sick. I'd love to see a whole story like this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nichael posted:

I randomly opened the thread to this and it's pretty sick. I'd love to see a whole story like this.

Sodaz usually releases all of his WIPs once he's finished in a big compilation video. He's got a few more from Operation Sunburst on his channel.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nobody Interesting posted:

Not tried any yet, but this guy has a bunch of engine improvement mods. Things like reflections and proper LOD.

Also some incredible dasharez0ne energy

Besides dasharez0ne, this also gives me the vibe of the NFS Pepega Mod

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I never know how I feel about ammo having weight or not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont mind it but I also played a lot of Stalker where ammo has weight and even then I was fine tooling around with 40kg of rifle rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I like ammo having weight but I feel like NV does not at all land at a realistic approximation of what real-world ammo weighs. (Because realistic carrying capacity is not fun to play.) So, the 9mm I've been lugging around ought to fill the boot of a car. At that point, you might as well make it weightless -- but then the missile launchers etc become overpowered. So I see why they've come to the compromise they did.