Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked BCS for the lawyer drama. I did not care at all for the gang stuff. (Except for Tony Dalton, he was great!)
It was roughly 70/30 in that show and went even by the end.
Breaking Bad was 90% stuff I did not care for.

Yeah. The 70% of the show that is Jimmy and his hijinks is amazing. Probably the best show I've ever seen. The 30% of it that's Mike and badly defined criminal characters is awful and a show I have no interest in watching again.

I liked all of Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nacho and Lalo were great additions, and the way both of them exited the show (Nacho in particular) was incredible. Very different in tone to the stuff going on with Jimmy of course, but I think that was handled very well when we finally see the two different sides of the show smash uncomfortably into each other in "Plan and Execute" with Howard showing up to confront them over their reputation-destroying scam only for cartel bigwig Lalo to come walking into the room and cheerfully execute him right in front of them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably within the first 10 minutes when he was arguing about going out to wash cars with his boss. Can't really see anyone negotiating a way to work in a car wash without having to pitch in with washing cars unless you have a disability.

Also the fact he had a PhD from Caltech and is in that position...

You don't end up like that without turbofucking your own life options repeatedly, over the course of decades, to the point you are not hireable in any field your Ph.D is in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pentyne posted:

Also the fact he had a PhD from Caltech and is in that position...

You don't end up like that without turbofucking your own life options repeatedly, over the course of decades, to the point you are not hireable in any field your Ph.D is in.

Yeah, we see in the first episode that dude has a plaque acknowledging work he did as part of a team under lead researchers who got a Nobel Prize for Chemistry, and even in early flashbacks we see that after he left Grey Matter he was still getting high profile chemistry jobs like working at Los Alamos. The fact that he's working as a Chemistry Teacher in a high school and part-time at a Car Wash by the time the show starts indicates he REALLY hosed up multiple, multiple times to end up where he was.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axErs9vY0I

Tne unaired pilot for Zero Effect with Alan Cumming as Daryl Zero leaked on Youtube. I've been looking for that for ages. A bit uneven, but I would have watched the first season at least.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Been rewatching MODERN FAMILY. Didn't finish it the first time around and I'm not sure why because it's a drat funny show. Everyone gets their time to shine. At what point did the showrunners start hating each other and took over separate parts of the show?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never finished it either, it just started to grate so much. Cam and Mitch just hate eachother so much it stopped being funny, should’ve just been the Phil show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I started it recently as ig or able background noise and didn't know the showrunners thing. Apparently they silo'd off extremely early like season 1 and each handled half the season. Apparently one of them wanted to make a funny show and the other one wanted to bore everyone with abc family sentimentality. Curious to see how if I can spot the alternative episodes, funny one and begrudgingly funny ones.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Been rewatching MODERN FAMILY. Didn't finish it the first time around and I'm not sure why because it's a drat funny show. Everyone gets their time to shine. At what point did the showrunners start hating each other and took over separate parts of the show?

The show had a noticeable drop off in the back half, it didn't really get back until the last few seasons the show was just spinning its wheels because the writers didn't have a clue how much longer the show had and weren't committing to anything.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pentyne posted:

The show had a noticeable drop off in the back half, it didn't really get back until the last few seasons the show was just spinning its wheels because the writers didn't have a clue how much longer the show had and weren't committing to anything.

The series finale is kinda just is there and I think they could of been a bit more to close there.

i also think its a show where it's cast is elevating the material way more too. Not to say the writing is bad but that collection of actors and young actors do a lot to make it work as well at it did.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Arist posted:

Max: The One to Watch for HBO

Actually you go to Netflix now to watch HBO Originals like Six Feet Under.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

1glitch0 posted:

Actually you go to Netflix now to watch HBO Originals like Six Feet Under.

:911: Murrica! :911:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My wife loves true crime and Grey's Anatomy, so she decided to just put Dr. Death on the iPad for something to have in the background when we made dinner last night, and we both wound up getting drawn into it. Definitely not high art or anything but it's fun, which I admit is a weird thing to say about a show based on a real doctor who mutilated patients for years. But Christian Slater is great, Kelsey Grammer has a recurring role as a complete self-satisfied smug rear end in a top hat that strangely he nails, they do some fun stuff like one episode having a parody of the Dallas intro for its credits, a dialogue-less French New Wave parody scene, etc.

Absolutely not for the squeamish, though. Also I'm guessing probably the last leading role for Alec Baldwin.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I really liked Dr Death too, a super entertaining/absolutely horrifying watch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the old X-Men cartoon series in preparation for the new series and Jubilee sure has some white rear end parents. Also very goofy that that's apparently her everyday outfit.

Edit: Okay, they're just foster parents.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 19, 2024

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the old X-Men cartoon series in preparation for the new series and Jubilee sure has some white rear end parents. Also very goofy that that's apparently her everyday outfit.

Edit: Okay, they're just foster parents.
They're foster parents because Comics Jubilee was originally a homeless teen who literally lived in a mall, the most 1989 of all possible origins.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

John Oliver legit offered Clarence Thomas $1 mil a year for life if he resigned from the Supreme Court on the show tonight (along with a brand new top of the line motorcoach.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
True Detective finale owned -- ignoring the two persistently weak elements (callbacks, and the music choices -- though they were less intrusive here I thought).

I can really only read the finale through the lens of the supernatural, but I thought they walked the line pretty well. The long sequence where the Danvers and Navarro are lain siege to by the probably supernatural blizzard was the season's high point. Tense and strange and cool (I caught what I think is a reference to the Wingard Blair Witch) and looked great.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah, just finished and I had my doubts for the first half but the ending did in fact pull everything together nicely.

The 'asking the right questions' voiceover in the truck felt awkwardly slotted in but got them where they needed to go.

Lol at the S1 call back.

I'm not going to try and rate it against the other seasons but it was overall well worth watching.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don’t think it was terrible, but also wasn’t great. The type of show where I don’t regret watching it but I also have no interest in ever watching it again.

Also anyone who claims this is as good or better than season one is delusional.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
True Detective I'm glad they used the "Time is a flat circle" line again because I use that phrase all the time and completely forgot where I picked it up until they said it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It was horrid.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never finished it either, it just started to grate so much. Cam and Mitch just hate eachother so much it stopped being funny, should’ve just been the Phil show.

Phil and Claire are the clear MVPs of the show. I think my two favorite moments of the show are Phil going bad cop on the girls when making them clean the bathroom and going way overboard, and Claire learning magic behind Phil's back to give him the perfect Valentine's Day. "...I don't deserve you!" Oh, or Phil going out of his way for months to set up a Halloween prank, inventing a fake neighbor, to scare Claire, only to realize he's unleashed a monster when Claire loves it.

Best TV couple?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Better Call Saul is a good show but it's the first thing I think of when I read this tweet. He takes how many seasons to get to the strip mall?!

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1446151707029917697

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s an extraordinarily dumb take because the entire point of the show is to show how he got to that point.

What did you want, a “wacky client of the week”?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Death and Other Details episode 7 update...gently caress it? Why not.

Just 3 more episodes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Better Call Saul has a Mystery Van would rule. Driving around the Southwest creating weird mysteries and staging supernatural hoaxes. Esposito back chewing the scenery as a talking dog who loves to eat big sandwiches with Jesse.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Medullah posted:

True Detective I'm glad they used the "Time is a flat circle" line again because I use that phrase all the time and completely forgot where I picked it up until they said it.

It wasn't the worst callback.

But the line in SE01 was really much more powerful for a number of reasons. It came on the tail of "You'll be here again" which seems obvious but shows that it wasn't just incoherent rambling. It was said by a true POS. And it was initially dismissed as Nietzsche bullshit before being taken up by one of the leads later. None of this was the case here. It has zero power on its own. It's just a callback.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

But the line in SE01 was really much more powerful for a number of reasons. It came on the tail of "You'll be here again" which seems obvious but shows that it wasn't just incoherent rambling. It was said by a true POS. And it was initially dismissed as Nietzsche bullshit before being taken up by one of the leads later. None of this was the case here. It has zero power on its own. It's just a callback.

Well, no, it's an explanation for Navarro's and Clark's seeming ability to see each other across time.There's a few other moments that relate to the line as well, but nothing as explicit.

It's very distracting though, and like I said in the thread I wish they'd just let the moment stand without the reference.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah I should clarify that I wasn't commenting on the quality of the season, just how glad I was the line was said because I say it all the time and couldn't remember where it was from heh.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Monsieur Spade has been very entertaining throughout. (The third episode was the top one I think.) It's a bit sad that it's a limited series but they did wrap it up.

On, and the finale starts with one of the best made sex scenes I've ever seen on screen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Monsieur Spade has been very entertaining throughout. (The third episode was the top one I think.) It's a bit sad that it's a limited series but they did wrap it up.

On, and the finale starts with one of the best made sex scenes I've ever seen on screen.

Has the Mandy Patinkin version of Knives Out started yet too?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

PriorMarcus posted:

Has the Mandy Patinkin version of Knives Out started yet too?

I think it's past the mid-way point but also nobody thinks it's really good although people here who care to talk about it don't think it's all that bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Took me a while to carve out some time for Expats this week, since this episode is nearly two hours long, but my god is it a good show. I really love how they've slowly pulled back the scope of the show, to the point where this episode was mostly about the helpers and staff and the way that Kidman et. al. basically use and abuse them in pursuit of various different power games, or as prosthetic (but disposable) replacements for their stunted social lives.

Gorgeous show, and probably the best sound design I've heard in one of these things for a long time -- maybe since Mr Robot or Black Sails, IMO.

Bright Bart posted:

I think it's past the mid-way point but also nobody thinks it's really good although people here who care to talk about it don't think it's all that bad.

I'd say it's on the poorer end of things tbh, but I'm watching it with my mates which elevates things a bit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s an extraordinarily dumb take because the entire point of the show is to show how he got to that point.

What did you want, a “wacky client of the week”?

I agree that's a bad example, but drat if the original tweet isn't right. Halo looks like they are finally doing Halo stuff halfway through the 2nd season. We saw a glimpse of the actual Halo ring in the last few seconds on the final episode of the 1st season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

swickles posted:

I agree that's a bad example, but drat if the original tweet isn't right. Halo looks like they are finally doing Halo stuff halfway through the 2nd season. We saw a glimpse of the actual Halo ring in the last few seconds on the final episode of the 1st season.

There's no way they get to Halo before the final seconds of Season Two, especially seeing as leaked episode titles make it seems like we are making a detour to loving Onyx of all places.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no way they get to Halo before the final seconds of Season Two, especially seeing as leaked episode titles make it seems like we are making a detour to loving Onyx of all places.

God dammit. It at least looks like they are doing Fall of Reach, which is a pretty established and detailed piece of Halo lore. I had assumed the season would at least end with the Master Chief landing on Halo and teasing the Flood.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would simply go to the Halo and do my TV show there, pleasing the legions of existing fans while drawing in new ones with my tight, focused storytelling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why doesn't Master Chief, the largest Spartan, not simply eat the other Spartans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Why doesn't Master Chief, the largest Spartan, not simply eat the other Spartans?

That's Season Six when they reveal the Flood and he has a scary dream about becoming one.