Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hawowanlawow posted:

love the dangly legs and arms held out for balance when the 3500lb power armor is hovering

I think the jets are coming out of the arms to "maneuver" actually

Also, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's going for the Iron Man Mk1 look.

Also Walton Ghoulggins looks and sounds great and will be my main reason to watch the show.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I know Fallout has become something it's really funny to kick while it's down thanks to Bethesda writing but I actually like that clip a lot if you view Lucy as using a straight out of an instructional video conflict de-escalation script, goofy-rear end vault-dwellin' nerd. The bucket of drugs line and reaction to ignoring a tranq was good too. And I guess I could give the hover armor a pass if I think that virtually no humans handle the sensation of weightlessness gracefully.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

glad to see the dry-cleaning industry wasn't affected by the war, those clothes are spotless

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

I think the biggest issue with the Temple of Trials is that unlike Fallout 1, there's no equipment based on tag skills especially since most players tag small guns making frustration more common. Tagging small guns should have given a pipe rifle for example.

That said it wasn't awful, just kinda mid. Fallout 2 had San Francisco which is probably the most unfun time I've had in a Fallout game, second only to the Fallout 3 intro sequence.

What’s unfun about the fallout 3 intro? It’s a bit monotonous the second time through but I can’t think of anything particularly annoying about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CaptainViolence posted:

glad to see the dry-cleaning industry wasn't affected by the war, those clothes are spotless

Plenty of abraxo cleaner lying around.

I like that the storefront says "Caps Only" so maybe the NCR is trying to get these yokels to switch over to paper currency but they said screw you.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Arivia posted:

What’s unfun about the fallout 3 intro? It’s a bit monotonous the second time through but I can’t think of anything particularly annoying about it.

I just found it really unengaging and being mostly scripted didn't really help for me although that wouldn't be a problem if I enjoyed the intro. Of course it's been a while since I played FO3 especially without an alternate start mod so IDK how I would feel about it now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Bethesda intros are generally engaging if you are only playing the game once, and not like me (and I think most RPG players) restarting dozens of times to try out different characters.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can at least save right before the exit and then just skip the intro manually while still getting a chance to respec in 3 and on.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think so, they customized it a ton from what I understand. Some mods that have little interaction work but I wouldn't push it

E: ok FO2 I get it, I've killed hundreds of radscorpions and deathclaws now and reloaded a dozen times against the endless centaur hordes, please stop having an encounter literally every one second of map travel

Oh it's a processor speed bug lol, well gently caress

Every one of your posts feels massively unfamiliar to me, despite playing F1 and F2 quite a lot when they were new. This being a processor bug is interesting, I feel like new bugs have crept in over time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tactics has that bug, I wasn't sure if Fallout 2 does. It decides when to drop a random encounter based on I believe framerate, so on a modern computer that's running the game at like 600 FPS you just get endlessly hit with them. Need a fan patch to fix it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

steinrokkan posted:

Thanks, I hate it. Did loving Joss Whedon write this

"... and then the Courier said Ulysses didn't have a dick, what is this - written by Joss Whedon?!"

" ... then he says 'You've gotten a lot further than you should have. But then, you haven't met Frank Horrigan, either. Your ride's over, Mutie. Time to die.' Is this written by Joss Whedon?!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

antidote posted:

Every one of your posts feels massively unfamiliar to me, despite playing F1 and F2 quite a lot when they were new. This being a processor bug is interesting, I feel like new bugs have crept in over time.

Well, that's what google tells me anyway. I certainly didn't remember it being a nightmare crawl to get anywhere back on my piece of poo poo laptop ten years ago, anyway.

Grand Fromage posted:

Tactics has that bug, I wasn't sure if Fallout 2 does. It decides when to drop a random encounter based on I believe framerate, so on a modern computer that's running the game at like 600 FPS you just get endlessly hit with them. Need a fan patch to fix it.

And I didn't bother doing anything at all like installing community patches (which is really on me), just grabbed both games again on Steam and went to it. Pleasantly stable though, besides that one dialogue skip in FO1 - I DO remember FO2 crashing like crazy when I tried it ages ago.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

LashLightning posted:

"... and then the Courier said Ulysses didn't have a dick, what is this - written by Joss Whedon?!"

" ... then he says 'You've gotten a lot further than you should have. But then, you haven't met Frank Horrigan, either. Your ride's over, Mutie. Time to die.' Is this written by Joss Whedon?!"

Wishing for the purity of the old games, where we just copy scenes from Monty Python.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Byzantine posted:

Wishing for the purity of the old games, where we just copy scenes from Monty Python.

If Paramount got the show instead we could have had the Enterprise pod encounter

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For me, ether 1 or 2 had this thing where random encounters seemingly only triggered right after you click, or basically not at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a glitch, but it seemed like just run of the mill random encounter RNG to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man lol I don't remember San Francisco or having to do any of this at all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's loving awful

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Dreamsicle posted:

I think the biggest issue with the Temple of Trials is that unlike Fallout 1, there's no equipment based on tag skills especially since most players tag small guns making frustration more common. Tagging small guns should have given a pipe rifle for example.

That said it wasn't awful, just kinda mid. Fallout 2 had San Francisco which is probably the most unfun time I've had in a Fallout game, second only to the Fallout 3 intro sequence.
I was going to say San Francisco wasn't that bad but then I remembered the Hubologist compound and the very long, very pointless series of quests and characters inside. My Fallout 2 character does not have Wild Wasteland; please remove Juan Cruz.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I hope he pulls off his power armor helmet and his voice just sounds exactly the same

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I'm from the Brotherhood of Steel, and I'm here to help.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CaptainViolence posted:

The only clean clothes in the scene are on the Vault Dweller though?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Nichael posted:

The only clean clothes in the scene are on the Vault Dweller though?

they're not though? the clothes on the guy in the opening shot are immaculate. i'm not ragging on it, it's a two minute clip with no context so maybe there's a reason for it. i just think it's funny that a dude is rolling around on the dusty street looking like he just came out of the sears dressing room

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CaptainViolence posted:

they're not though? the clothes on the guy in the opening shot are immaculate. i'm not ragging on it, it's a two minute clip with no context so maybe there's a reason for it. i just think it's funny that a dude is rolling around on the dusty street looking like he just came out of the sears dressing room

I re-watched it as didn't really pay attention to the clothes, and yeah they guy on the grounds clothes are super clean while everyone else's clothes look appropriately worn. So it does seem to be a choice for whatever reason. I've been to plenty of dry dusty places and seen some people who somehow keep their clothes immaculate at all times.

Seems a waste of time to me, but whatever, you do you.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i think that's the distinction i wasn't articulating: everything looks worn in but not very dirty. the ghoul cowboy's leather looks beat up, but aside from the smudge on his shoulder looks pretty recently cleaned. the power armor strikes me the same way, like a junker someone took to the nicest car wash in town. the more i think about it, the more i like it tbh, it's kind of a fun juxtaposition as opposed to everything just looking like poo poo all the time

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CaptainViolence posted:

i think that's the distinction i wasn't articulating: everything looks worn in but not very dirty. the ghoul cowboy's leather looks beat up, but aside from the smudge on his shoulder looks pretty recently cleaned. the power armor strikes me the same way, like a junker someone took to the nicest car wash in town. the more i think about it, the more i like it tbh, it's kind of a fun juxtaposition as opposed to everything just looking like poo poo all the time

Historically this is pretty accurate as well. Unless you're actively working in the fields or what not, most people do try and keep their clothes pretty clean even if they are very worn. Particularly something like very valuable armor. You're definitely gonna try and keep that spotless.

Fun fact: The vikings were well known for their incredible hair grooming!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
People have been cleaning their clothes since as long as clothes have existed.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

oh, for sure, but the realistic choice is so rarely the cinematic choice that when when i see it my first thought is "woah, HMU didn't hit the actors with the little fuller's earth bag." and at this point even if the writing ends up not being great, it looks like the production designers had a blast, so i'll enjoy it the same way i did the bethesda games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally beat Fallout 2

It wasn't worth trying again

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Man, you really hated these games. Why exactly did you put yourself (and us) through this?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh poo poo it's been over 10 years since I played the OG games, definitely due to start them up again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

1 and like a quarter of 2 really hold up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

antidote posted:

Man, you really hated these games. Why exactly did you put yourself (and us) through this?

I love Fallout 1. I wanted to see if I was too harsh on FO2 from bad experiences with it the first time through. I wasn't, though to be fair to it, the midgame is actually pretty good. Also, I forgot we had a general Fallout thread lol

Gaius Marius posted:

1 and like a quarter of 2 really hold up

I'd say a solid third of 2 does. FO2 sucks until you get a good gun or weapon of choice, then it's fun and good until the encounters scale to endgame levels and the skill checks get silly, and San Francisco is just not a fun area to be in.

FO1 is a great time that I managed to misremember and totally gently caress up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

And I didn't bother doing anything at all like installing community patches (which is really on me), just grabbed both games again on Steam and went to it. Pleasantly stable though, besides that one dialogue skip in FO1 - I DO remember FO2 crashing like crazy when I tried it ages ago.

Are the GOG versions patched? I know GOG takes some steps to get the games running better on modern machines, but no idea what they've done for Fallout specifically

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainViolence posted:

Soap is something that pretty much every society has managed to make. People in general like being clean and manages to put in at least a minimum of effort in that regard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Fun fact: The vikings were well known for their incredible hair grooming!
And yet the arabs called them Allah's filthiest creatures. In norse societies it was actually against the law to get another man's clothes dirty.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alhazred posted:

And yet the arabs called them Allah's filthiest creatures.

That's just cos they were real good at telling dirty jokes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The original Fallout was made over 3.5 years and the scope wasn't overly large. Fallout 2 was made in less than a year, pretty comparable in dev circumstances to Icewind Dale II now that I think about it, and it was a much larger game. I'm not suggesting F2 and IWD2 are comparable in quality (I think F2 is a better game, FWIW) but we suffered from similar quality control/consistency issues.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Still my favourite dumbass in this game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Fallout 1 and 2 on steam run way better than Fallout 3.