Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You Am I posted:

God the bogans are going to love that

Why do you think that Labor won with such a large margin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Saul Goode posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum already (noting the strong presence of HALAL in the word cloud), but I had a co-worker start ranting to me at a morning tea the other day about how Pieface have gone out of business because they decided to make everything Halal certified and when I asked why would that be a problem (even though I knew it was BS), she said it was because Australians were boycotting Halal certified foods because of the cruel manner of killing the animals. She's generally a smart person though so I was thinking maybe she's just been sucked in by some Facebook meme or something, so I've tried to find some articles online I can show her. So far so good, but is there a consensus in AusPol about the cruelty issue? Most of what I've found so far says that the Australian standard is to stun before killing but that certain slaughterhouses are able to get an exemption on religious grounds. Should this latter group be a significant concern? Is there any way to link methods of slaughter to specific businesses?

lol Pieface went bankrupt because they have stupid business practices, like having too many stores in the same area. Their pies are ok, but not really worth writing home about and not nearly what I consider worth their price. To suggest Halal certification made a company broke is just way too much tin foil.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

CrazyTolradi posted:

lol Pieface went bankrupt because they have stupid business practices, like having too many stores in the same area. Their pies are ok, but not really worth writing home about and not nearly what I consider worth their price. To suggest Halal certification made a company broke is just way too much tin foil.

If Halal certification made companies bankrupt then they wouldn't get certification. For a nationwide chain, you should assess whether paying a fee is worth potentially attracting half a million customers. I'm sure for many that is good value.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS IN SPORTSTORIA!

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4135968.htm

quote:

DAVID MORRISON: Yeah - look, I've got no anthropological training, I'm not a sociologist and I would think that a number of your viewers would say, "Well, it's a bit odd for a chief-of-army to be talking about these sorts of matters," but I head one of Australia's great institutions. It's overwhelmingly male. Just over 10 per cent of our workforce is women. I think that male leaders in Australia need to take a role here because this is essentially an issue about culture. It's the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves, about how we define ourselves as Australians or soldiers or members of the media. Those stories, in my view, my experience, are more male than they are - more masculine than they are feminine. I think that that inculcates a belief in young Australians that there is some inbuilt advantage to being a male, that you have certain rights accorded to you by your birthright that aren't there for women to enjoy or to see their potential reached during their lifetime.

LEIGH SALES: So, give me an example of the types of stories we tell ourselves to which you're referring. You mentioned in your speech this morning the ANZAC narrative, for example.

DAVID MORRISON: Well - any chief-of-army treads on dangerous ground where they could be perceived in any way, shape or form of being critical of ANZAC and I'm not being. The bravery shown by the soldiers in the ANZAC campaign, as it has been in all of our wars and military operations, is beyond question. But the story of ANZAC is interesting. If I was to say five words to you now and five words to your viewers, I can tell you what you will think. Australian First World War soldier. You have thought of a male who is Anglo-Saxon, who is probably from a rural background. Now, that's OK. I mean, so many of our soldiers were white and Anglo-Saxon, but where in those stories is there a place for women or men and women of Indigenous heritage or men and women from different ethnic backgrounds than Anglo-Saxon? If the stories that we in the Army or the nation are telling themselves about ourselves that are exclusive, how do we then build an inclusive culture, one that respects women particularly, but men and women with different heritages and backgrounds to us?

wikipedia

quote:

"In 2010 a report by University of New South Wales Journalism and Media Research Centre and Media Monitors found that coverage of women in sport made up only 9% of all sports coverage in Australian television news. But coverage on male sport occupied 81% of television news reporting. There was 10% of coverage being non-gender specific."

Yes, what we really need is state sanctioned recognition and elevation of a men's sporting competition that is already the most fetishised pastime this state has to offer.

Australia's culture is shaped by the stories we tell ourselves, the stories we celebrate and the stories we prioritise. We keep prioritising and celebrating those exclusively male stories. We're loving idiots.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Whenever I come across the name David Morrison, I keep picturing a hybrid of David Johnston and Scott Morrison... I guess two negatives make a positive.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Gough Suppressant posted:

Halal almost always still stuns in Australia, but uses reversible stunning methods. Kosher doesn't stun.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-Kosher-slaughter-in-Australia_117.html
http://kb.rspca.org.au/what-is-halal-slaughter-in-australia_116.html

There's also some studies using ECG that kosher and halal slaughter, if done properly, result in lower pain signals than a bolt-gun.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4135968.htm

wikipedia

Yes, what we really need is state sanctioned recognition and elevation of a men's sporting competition that is already the most fetishised pastime this state has to offer.

Australia's culture is shaped by the stories we tell ourselves, the stories we celebrate and the stories we prioritise. We keep prioritising and celebrating those exclusively male stories. We're loving idiots.

Just as Christopher Pyne can apparently be singled out for greater criticism because he is allegedly gay while being part of a government that is regressive on gay rights, I think you should really be applying the blowtorch to the ~50% of AFL supporters who are women for being traitors to their gender.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

There's also some studies using ECG that kosher and halal slaughter, if done properly, result in lower pain signals than a bolt-gun.

I've seen conflicting studies on this, some suggest that it is better than stunning, others don't.

There is a lot more that can go wrong in halal or kosher slaughter, which can occasionally leave animals dying terrified and in pain if they do not lose enough blood fast enough. This is compounded by workers who are either unskilled and/or psychopaths as has been demonstrated in abattoirs around the world many times.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Quantum Mechanic posted:

From what I understand there is a bit of debate going on around this as some of the studies may have been conducted by people with a vested interest. As in you'd expect a muslim or jewish backed study to find that their traditional way of doing things is as good or better than the way the heathens do it.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Just as Christopher Pyne can apparently be singled out for greater criticism because he is allegedly gay while being part of a government that is regressive on gay rights, I think you should really be applying the blowtorch to the ~50% of AFL supporters who are women for being traitors to their gender.

While FIFA is a terrible organisation that is embroiled in continual corruption allegations, at least this year one of the three finalists for goal of the year is a woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpBvBRn4juw

That doesn't invalidate anything said before, but at least it's something. Of course, the only reason the goal is in the running is that someone in the crowd used their smart phone to record it and sent it in. No TV coverage otherwise.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I've seen conflicting studies on this, some suggest that it is better than stunning, others don't.

There is a lot more that can go wrong in halal or kosher slaughter, which can occasionally leave animals dying terrified and in pain if they do not lose enough blood fast enough. This is compounded by workers who are either unskilled and/or psychopaths as has been demonstrated in abattoirs around the world many times.

We should probably restrict this to Australian abattoirs, since too often once you leave our borders all bets are off for humane slaughter regardless of whether it is ritualised for halal, kosher etc or not.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Never stop, MUYB.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

IDK, just texting my BFF Chris

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Good job getting on a Liberal mailing list!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

Never stop, MUYB.

Seems like a fair comparison to me? If Pyne warrants extra criticism for his actions in setting back gay rights due to himself being gay, why shouldn't women who support AFL similarly be criticised more harshly than men?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Seems like a fair comparison to me? If Pyne warrants extra criticism for his actions in setting back gay rights due to himself being gay, why shouldn't women who support AFL similarly be criticised more harshly than men?

The Australian media gives women's sport basically no airtime and sporting consumers don't care about it. Bad cultural norms about the inferiority of women in the sporting domain (e.g. "you throw like a girl") disincentivise either the media or consumers themselves from changing either of those facts. (And let's be honest; a lot of the media's power resides in the hands of men, and the 'trendsetting' sports consumers are also men - this is a male space and they have more power in defining it.)

Given this context - a context in which men's sports in general (and AFL in particular) are completely dominant - it's hardly surprising that lots of women "support" the AFL (by going to the games, following the league, buying the merchandise, and by consuming and sharing and commenting on the endless media commentary of the sport). They support the AFL (a) because they're not presented with many other options, (b) because by pursuing those options they would marginalise themselves. That second point is hugely important because of how people (idiotically) invest huge parts of their identity in what AFL team they follow, and how closely they follow it. ("I'm a true blue died in the wool Carlton supporter, paid up and proud.") AFL is (and is sold as) a family activity - lots of women are understandably shy about removing themselves from it, for the same reason that men are.

My post was criticising the move to give further official and governmental support to the AFL because (a) that support could be better spent elsewhere, and (b) the government should be held to a higher standard.

That said, I definitely desperately want more people to realise how narrow and limited (in gender terms) AFL is as a pastime, and to move on to greener pastures. But there are institutional forces making it more difficult for people to make that move, and this is a perfect example of one.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's about time someone published a list of correct sports.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

I can't tell if you're trolling or if you genuinely think this is a sophisticated analogy.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

open24hours posted:

Korfball and hacky sack.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

open24hours posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

That was a really useful and well informed post which astutely addressed the issues surrounding our culture being obsessed with male stories and the bad effects this has on our culture, thanks for making it

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Thanks for your transparent and cynical post-hoc justification for why you don't like sports or the people who play them.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 3, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Thanks for your transparent and cynical post-hoc justification for why you don't like sports or the people who play them.

If you want to make a diagnosis of cynicism, maybe you should look at the poster who writes off discussion of sexist aspects of our culture with an eyeroll and a "You're just saying that because you don't like sports." The utility and worth of that response is probably on par with "Lol look at this white knight."

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

But yeah, congratulations open24hours, you've definitely elevated the discussion and got us talking about what really matters - whether Forums Poster Those On My Left does or does not like AFL players. If only more people were so willing to engage with important issues in such thoughtful and insightful ways.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those On My Left posted:

If you want to make a diagnosis of cynicism, maybe you should look at the poster who writes off discussion of sexist aspects of our culture with an eyeroll and a "You're just saying that because you don't like sports." The utility and worth of that response is probably on par with "Lol look at this white knight."

I'm not writing off a discussion of the sexist aspects of our culture. It's an important topic, but that's not really what this conversation is about.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

I'm not writing off a discussion of sexist aspects of our culture. It's an important topic, but that's not really what this conversation is about.

If you thought it was an important topic, you'd actually be discussing it. But clearly you don't think it's as important a topic as your ability to perform a handy spot of armchair psychoanalysis. I mean, look at what you're choosing to talk about.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There are two reasons I'm not talking about it. Firstly because I don't know much about sport, and secondly because I'm pretty sure you're not actually interested in improving the profile of women's sport, and are only mentioning it because it provides a convenient way for you to criticise other sports.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
MMA gives the same prominence to female fighters as male with them both competing on the same cards. The progressive choice.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

There are two reasons I'm not talking about it. Firstly because I don't know much about sport, and secondly because I'm pretty sure you're not actually interested in improving the profile of women's sport, and are only mentioning it because it provides a convenient way for you to criticise other sports.

Well I guess that will have to go down in history as the first time a man has ever found a really good reason not to talk about sexism, then.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nibbles! posted:

MMA gives the same prominence to female fighters as male with them both competing on the same cards. The progressive choice.

I don't really like MMA but this is pretty awesome. Good on you MMA.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those On My Left posted:

We're loving idiots.

Welcome to Australia.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Seriously though, I really don't think it's worth melting down over something like this. If you wanted governments to be a sort of guiding moral hand to lead the people into a new age of not making GBS threads all over women's sports, you picked a bad horse in representative democracy.

Aussies are morons that go bonkers over AFL, so a Grand Final holiday seems like a great way to win votes.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Endman posted:

Seriously though, I really don't think it's worth melting down over something like this. If you wanted governments to be a sort of guiding moral hand to lead the people into a new age of not making GBS threads all over women's sports, you picked a bad horse in representative democracy.

Aussies are morons that go bonkers over AFL, so a Grand Final holiday seems like a great way to win votes.

I'm not melting down, I'm just openly pleading for someone to actually discuss this issue with something resembling good faith.

Obviously a Grand Final holiday would be a vote winner. I don't see why that's relevant to this conversation, though. You're saying "our culture loves the AFL grand final" and I'm saying "our culture loves the AFL grand final but that's not ideal". The reason it's not ideal is the reason the Chief of Army explained: our culture needs to stop prioritising predominantly or exclusively male stories.

It's also obvious that representative democracy in general (and Australian governments in particular) isn't the best vehicle for leading cultural change (and don't have a great track record in doing so), but they're absolutely capable of it. It seems strange to argue otherwise in a thread that generally agrees that Howard's demonisation of asylum seekers is a big reason why "stop the boats" policies were a vote winner in 2013. If that's not an example of government shaping culture, I don't know what it is.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So it looks like refugees on protection visas are actually going to be able to work, but will also have their families and futures held to ransom unless they meet a very specific set of criteria.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

open24hours posted:

Roller Derby.
Womans Ice Hockey.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

I'm not melting down, I'm just openly pleading for someone to actually discuss this issue with something resembling good faith.

Obviously a Grand Final holiday would be a vote winner. I don't see why that's relevant to this conversation, though. You're saying "our culture loves the AFL grand final" and I'm saying "our culture loves the AFL grand final but that's not ideal". The reason it's not ideal is the reason the Chief of Army explained: our culture needs to stop prioritising predominantly or exclusively male stories.

It's also obvious that representative democracy in general (and Australian governments in particular) isn't the best vehicle for leading cultural change (and don't have a great track record in doing so), but they're absolutely capable of it. It seems strange to argue otherwise in a thread that generally agrees that Howard's demonisation of asylum seekers is a big reason why "stop the boats" policies were a vote winner in 2013. If that's not an example of government shaping culture, I don't know what it is.

I cultivate an overwhelming cynicism towards this sort of thing. I've seen governments utilise and aggravate existing prejudices to a ridiculous degree (a la stop the boats), but I don't think I've ever seen it used to positive effect in Australia to implement progressive policies that last beyond the next round of "carbon tax is ruining the economy", "free uni is for leaners", "dole bludgers deserve to be kicked in the face repeatedly" bullshit.

But yes, you're right, the overwhelming attention paid to men's stories in this country is a huge problem, from the ANZAC mythology to the incredibly ridiculous outpouring of national grief over a loving cricketer.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
If I find out who keeps leaking internal Greens stuff to the SMH I am going to beat them to death with the fourth pillar

Endman
May 18, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

If I find out who keeps leaking internal Greens stuff to the SMH I am going to beat them to death with the fourth pillar

Be careful they don't block you with their fifth column. :newlol:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Endman posted:

I cultivate an overwhelming cynicism towards this sort of thing. I've seen governments utilise and aggravate existing prejudices to a ridiculous degree (a la stop the boats), but I don't think I've ever seen it used to positive effect in Australia to implement progressive policies that last beyond the next round of "carbon tax is ruining the economy", "free uni is for leaners", "dole bludgers deserve to be kicked in the face repeatedly" bullshit.

But yes, you're right, the overwhelming attention paid to men's stories in this country is a huge problem, from the ANZAC mythology to the incredibly ridiculous outpouring of national grief over a loving cricketer.

Well, even if you're cynical about governments leading positive cultural change, surely you can still agree that they don't have to aggravate existing problems? So, given that you agree that it's a big problem that we overwhelmingly pay attention to men's stories, surely you can agree that it's preferable for the Victorian government not to further highlight grand final day?

You're obviously right, they did it because it was a vote winner. But that's not really much of a defence.

Honestly, I don't really know whether government can be a primary driver of this kind of social change. I mean, my previous posts have largely been complaining about how the media exclusively focuses on men's sports at the expense of women's sports. There probably isn't a governmental solution to that problem (although there are things that government could do about it, like increased funding to women's sports and talking about it more in parliament, or something). So it's probable that the bigger part of a solution to this problem involves changing the culture in the media, which probably involves better training and education, and more women in positions of power in the media.

So, don't mistake me for saying "THIS IS SOMETHING GOVERNMENT MUST FIX". It's more that I'm saying "for gently caress's sake, could the government at least not make it worse?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Breaking News: Greens member standing for MP wishes physical harm on whistle blowers.

• Locked thread