Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is getting silly. Will we ever pass a skill check?

We have passed a few skill checks already. The Military one the update before last that told us that we could take Ixion in a fight. The Foreign Intelligence and Court Manners checks on page 6. Composure for the snake attack. That's about it, but that's okay. We're going to fail most of these regardless of what we do.

Give the game a few more updates before Elodie actually starts appearing semi-competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The money's most of our treasury. Surrender the province.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
She has no reason to surrender since she have the more powerful military, and I don't know about paying him off. I say we intimidate him with the military superiority she knows she has.

Classes: Firstly, ciphering. She WILL become the greatest spy the world has ever known. But she might be getting bored of playing with tame dogs, so lets let her play with something more... wild. Like falcons.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Intimidate him, and if that doesn't work kill!!!

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Execute the guy, he is crazy if he thinks we're paying that much for anything.

Also, trade has come up a lot, so let's go with trade X2 for schooling.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Sandman posted:

:laffo:

gently caress no.

There's a bunch that are just replacements for other ones in certain situations, though.

Surrender and then have Brin punished if possible. Never trust a 33 year old who looks the same age as a teenager. :colbert:

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Intimidate, and Accounting x2.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm. Since all those failed checks means we have almost no information to work with (except for our military being better than his, apparently), I'm going to go with Intimidate. When and if we learn about money, it would be nice to have some money to look at. As for skills, I'm going to go with Animal Handling, doubled. Will the points that Dogs would have gotten be split amongst the other 2 options(due to being soft capped), or is that impossible?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Oh NOW you guys get violent.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Dip him in barbecue sauce and feed him to the puppy. Royal barbecue sauce; such a noble creature deserves no less.

I applaud your decision to forgo the catsuit for now, as the poor creature might become angered and try to chase Elodie up a tree. Heaven knows she spends enough time in the garden already.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 15, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Execute him! Off with his head! Have his body pulled apart by horses! If we don't know how to do that, we clearly need to learn about horses! Then dance on his corpse. :shepface:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Remember how I said Willful is the worst possible choice for us right now?

This is why. If we want that crystal, we need need to boost our Presence or Accounting up high. We can't do that with Willful.

Yielding is a good one, because we can work on our courtly poo poo.

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009
:commissar: for what we should do in the negotiations.

And Strategy x2 for classes, as clearly this is going to end in bloodshed.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What we know at this point in time

Moods posted:

Afraid
Bonus to: Agility, Faith
Penalty to: Royal Demeanour, Weapons, Intrigue, Military

Depressed
Bonus to: Expression, Animal Handling
Penalty to: Royal Demeanour, Conversation, Athletics

Willful
Bonus to: Intrigue, Military, Lumen
Penalty to: Royal Demeanour, History, Economics

Named Characters posted:

Joslyn - King Dowager of Nova / Duke of Caloris

Elodie - Crown Princess of Nova

Lucille - Countess of Nix / Duchess-Consort of Merva

Internal Affairs 20: Your maternal uncle’s wife, the Countess Nix, claims kinship to the old Merva line and originally asked your mother for title to the Duchy. However, no one could verify her lineage. As a compromise, your mother created her brother Duke of Merva.

Laurent - Duke of Merva

Internal Affairs 10: Until you have children of your own, your maternal uncle, the Duke of Merva, is next in line for the crown, and after him would be his daughter, your cousin Charlotte.

Internal Affairs 20: Your maternal uncle’s wife, the Countess Nix, claims kinship to the old Merva line and originally asked your mother for title to the Duchy. However, no one could verify her lineage. As a compromise, your mother created her brother Duke of Merva.

Charlotte - Heir to the Duchy of Merva

Internal Affairs 10: Until you have children of your own, your maternal uncle, the Duke of Merva, is next in line for the crown, and after him would be his daughter, your cousin Charlotte.

Julianna - Duchess of Ursul

Internal Affairs 40: The Duke of Maree has paid suit to the Duchess of Ursul to no avail. The Duchess’s brother is opposed, as he will inherit if she dies childless. Your agents suspect the Duchess is actually more interested in the Duchess of Hellas. Neither has ever been linked to a man.

Banion - Duke of Maree

Internal Affairs 40: The Duke of Maree has paid suit to the Duchess of Ursul to no avail. The Duchess’s brother is opposed, as he will inherit if she dies childless. Your agents suspect the Duchess is actually more interested in the Duchess of Hellas. Neither has ever been linked to a man.

Internal Affairs 60: The Countess of Dis is now married to the disinherited third sibling of the Duke of Maree and the Duchess of Hellas. Currently, both Duke and Duchess are unwed. If either dies without an heir, a title may still pass to the Countess’s husband.

Alice - Chambermaid

Brin – Duchess of Hellas

Internal Affairs 60: The Countess of Dis is now married to the disinherited third sibling of the Duke of Maree and the Duchess of Hellas. Currently, both Duke and Duchess are unwed. If either dies without an heir, a title may still pass to the Countess’s husband.

Skills posted:

ROYAL DEMEANOUR

Composure

10: You practice deep breathing exercises, learning to find and maintain a sense of inner calm.

Elegance

Presence

CONVERSATION

Public Speaking

Court Manners

10: You review the correct greetings for guests according to rank and when to extend your hand to another. All nobles expect their due honors.

Flattery

EXPRESSION

Decoration

Instrument

Voice

AGILITY

Dance

Reflexes

Flexibility

WEAPONS

Swords

10: You take up a wooden sword and practise correct grips and stances.

20: You practise slow swings to move your blade to precisely marked targets, building up your muscles and control.

Archery

Polearms

ANIMALS

Horses

Dogs

10: You visit the kennels and learn about different breeds of dogs.

20: You learn about dog grooming and the most common diseases and injuries that dogs suffer from.

30: You learn the standard commands for working with trained hunting dogs and retrievers.

40: You practice working with trained dogs in a small area, telling them to stay, search and fetch.

50: You choose a young puppy and begin raising him to respond to you over all others.

Falcons

HISTORY

Novan

Foreign Affairs

World

INTRIGUE

Internal Affairs

10: Until you have children of your own, your maternal uncle, the Duke of Merva, is next in line for the crown, and after him would be his daughter, your cousin Charlotte.

20: Your maternal uncle’s wife, the Countess Nix, claims kinship to the old Merva line and originally asked your mother for title to the Duchy. However, no one could verify her lineage. As a compromise, your mother created her brother Duke of Merva.

30: The last Duke of Mead was the older half brother of the current Duchess. His reign was brief and highly scandalous – he defied tradition to pledge himself as the lifemate of the old Duke of Ursul, then broke that off only a year later. He retired into seclusion and died still unwed.

40: The Duke of Maree has paid suit to the Duchess of Ursul to no avail. The Duchess’s brother is opposed, as he will inherit if she dies childless. Your agents suspect the Duchess is actually more interested in the Duchess of Hellas. Neither has ever been linked to a man.

50: Countess Lieke of Dis married the old Duke of Sudbury, who was more than twice her age, then divorced him as soon as she’d borne him an heir in order to marry another. It was considered shockingly rude by the general nobility, but the old Duke apparently had no objection.

60: The Countess of Dis is now married to the disinherited third sibling of the Duke of Maree and the Duchess of Hellas. Currently, both Duke and Duchess are unwed. If either dies without an heir, a title may still pass to the Countess’s husband.

70: Several generations back, the rulers of Elath and Sedna in neighbouring Talasse married. The citizens of Elath objected to this foreign influence, and the resulting heir died in suspicious circumstances, after which the title was passed to a distant branch of the family rather than another child of the Elath-Sedna union.

Foreign Intelligence

10: The current Duke of Sedna is twenty-six years old and unmarried. He might be considered a good marriage prospect for you if you desire stronger ties with the domain of Talasse.

20: The domain of Shanjia, across the sea to the west, has been steadily increasing in size, and now controls a wide range of coastline as well as most of the navigable rivers.

30: The political disruption in Tombula in recent years has caused a disruption in their chocolate production, which is to the benefit of Nova, particularly the duchy of Kigal.

40: Since their recent revolution, the Tombulans have twice begun gathering troops on the Novan border. Both times, their camps were struck by fierce storms and earthquakes, and they decided to give up on the idea.

50: Pirates are once again operating out of Orcus, although they are currently sticking to the northern seas and no threat to Nova. However, if they turn to slave raids, the Borealans may be quite vulnerable.

Ciphering

10: You practise reading words whose letters have been arranged in reverse order – the simplest of transpositions, which anyone literate can puzzle through if they try, but sometimes useful to hide information thg is nia lpni.

20: You practise shifting substitution ciphers, where each letter is replaced by one a few steps further along the alphabet, so that “cake and pie” becomes “fdnh dqg slh”.

30: You practise random substitution ciphers, where the normal alphabet is replaced by one in jumbled order. This is harder to decode, but most people need a written substitution chart to read or write it, and that chart can be lost or stolen.

MEDICINE

Herbs

Battlefield

Poison

10: The first treatment for most ingested poisons is to purge the stomach by forcing the victim to eat powdered charcoal, which can absorb dangerous substances.

ECONOMICS

Accounting

Trade

Production

MILITARY

Strategy

Naval Strategy

Logistics

10: You learn about the types and amounts of food required for an army on the march, and how long they will remain edible.

FAITH

Meditation

Divination

Lore

MAHOU SHOUJO

Sense Magic

Resist Magic

Wield Magic

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 15, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Lunar Suite posted:

For anyone interested, the game is 50% off as part of Steam's Valentine Sale, lasting until Sunday.

A review claims all but two skills aren't needed for the main story and that a lot of them are just for side quests and flavour text. Do you feel that is correct?

Two skills, no.

Extremely limited skill runs are possible, but going into details would be spoilers. Maybe it can get shown off after a successful clear?

EDIT: Also this LP made me go back to the game and I've cleared it a dozen or so times over the past three or so days. Thanks for the LP!

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 15, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
We're Depressed/Yielding, not Angry. Surrender.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, voting. Execute that gently caress and train up court manners twice. We've already failed two checks and it's best not to piss off the nobles.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 15, 2014

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

We already know we can take him and his puny army. Off with his head!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Oh yes, execute him, this will in no way backfire when the world sees us as crazy barbarians who don't respect diplomatic niceties.Bribe, worst case scenario is that we have to tax the peasants harder. I mean, that's what they are there for, right? In preparation of that Accountingx2

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Execute him! And then start training Strategy and Naval Strategy.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Intimidate, Voice and Foreign Intelligence.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Well, I gave in and bought it.
And died. A lot.
I think the hardest part of the game is getting her Mood the way you need it so her skills rank up in time. I do like a lot of the deeper plots you get into with enough knowledge in any one skill, but it's really hard to get the right ones. So, yeah, you do need a Moods -> Skill boni list somewhere around so you can fine-tune Elodie's psyche.

Edit: What do you mean I need that skill check to - Of for the love of... :suicide:

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 15, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
OFF WITH HIS HEAD! :black101:

Also clearly we need more swords. Two times as much.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Veris just informed me of a way to beat the game with just two skills. I thought one of the skill checks was higher, so I thought it impossible. I'm going to make it one of the options for bonus stuff at the end of the playthrough.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I applaud your decision to forgo the catsuit for now, as the poor creature might become angered and try to chase Elodie up a tree. Heaven knows she spends enough time in the garden already.

Oops, I didn't realize I didn't have Elodie put it on. Regardless, she still would have failed the foreign intelligence check.

JosephWongKS posted:

Ugh, did I not add Brin's profile to the second post? I made all kinds of mistakes this update. Fixed.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 15, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Voting is closed. Sorry for the late update, an appointment ran much longer than expected. It will still be another 30 minutes before I can work on the update or count the results.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I didn't calculate the points for the classes, since the winner is obvious. From now on, when the top two choices are from the same skill set, I'm going to use the exact vote statistics to determine whether the top class is taken twice or not.

Choice

Execute him: 14

Bluff/Intimidate: 5

Offer him money if Ixion withdraws: 4

Surrender province: 4

Class

Accounting: 11

Trade: 5

Swords: 4

Strategy: 3

Naval Strategy: 2

Court Manners: 2

Dance: 2

Voice: 2

Animal Handling: 2

Intrigue: 1

History: 1

Instrument: 1

Ciphering: 1

Falcons: 1

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Ship that back to Ixion. If they know what's good for them, they'll get out of my way.

Elodie's strongest emotion is now angry. Info about angry's bonuses/penalties has been added to the second post.

I forgot to leave the catsuit on in the last update. Fortunately (unfortunately?) it wouldn't have let Elodie pass the foreign intelligence check regardless.

Luckily for us, she is still able to learn accounting just fine.

Elodie learned 5th grade math!

You succeeded in driving them out of Maree, but it cost you almost a full battalion of soldiers and a great deal of materiel. You lost 1018 soldiers.

The Duke of Maree will be happy, but we could have done better!

Sitting in on court sessions is not fun at all, but it pleases your father and it may be important for your future.

Elodie is finally yielding! Info has been added to the second post.

The only skills that have penalties when yielding are weapons (sorry Super Jay Mann) and lumen, which we can't even learn right now. Best of all, we can finally get the royal demeanor Elodie needs.

Should she take presence or presence? What classes should Elodie take? Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And before anyone asks, yes, there are hard numbers for the troops. No, you wouldn't have known ahead of time.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

^
The game never directly tells the player this, but it's true.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 16, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

MegaZeroX posted:

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Ship that back to Ixion. If they know what's good for them, they'll get out of my way.
the most :black101: princess, and we haven't even maxed out military yet :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ok, now I have to know what's so special about getting presence (x2) at this moment.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

^

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Obviously our murderprincess needs to be elegant when she gets her murder on.

Voting Elegance for her studying this week.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I guess Presence x2 is the way to go.

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009
The catsuit reminds me of the Sneaky Suit from Fallout: New Vegas.

Anyway Presence and Elegance Then try and get that gem!

And oh, do the soldiers replenish at any point or do we have just a set number of them for the whole game?

A Pair Of Ducks fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 16, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

^
There is a set number that can increase or decrease based upon Elodie's actions.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Are we really still trying to get the crystal? I figured it would be a lost cause by this point. But whatever, lets go for it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Finally, we can get some demeanor skills. It's strange that we have to be yielding in order to learn how to speak with authority, at least to me. Oh well, let's get our Presence up x2 so that we can bully Ixion even more.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Presence and Internal Affairs. Little dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moods posted:

Afraid
Bonus to: Agility, Faith
Penalty to: Royal Demeanour, Weapons, Intrigue, Military

Depressed
Bonus to: Expression, Animal Handling
Penalty to: Royal Demeanour, Conversation, Athletics

Willful
Bonus to: Intrigue, Military, Lumen
Penalty to: Royal Demeanour, History, Economics

Angry
Bonus to: Weapons, Military
Penalty to: Royal Demeanour, Expression, Animal Handling, Medicine

Yielding
Bonus to: Royal Demeanour, History, Faith
Penalty to: Weapons, Lumen

Named Characters posted:

Joslyn - King Dowager of Nova / Duke of Caloris

Elodie - Crown Princess of Nova

Lucille - Countess of Nix / Duchess-Consort of Merva

Laurent - Duke of Merva

Charlotte - Heir to the Duchy of Merva

Julianna - Duchess of Ursul

Banion - Duke of Maree

Alice - Chambermaid

Brin – Duchess of Hellas

Skills posted:

ROYAL DEMEANOUR

Composure

10: You practice deep breathing exercises, learning to find and maintain a sense of inner calm.

Elegance

Presence

CONVERSATION

Public Speaking

Court Manners

10: You review the correct greetings for guests according to rank and when to extend your hand to another. All nobles expect their due honors.

Flattery

EXPRESSION

Decoration

Instrument

Voice

AGILITY

Dance

Reflexes

Flexibility

WEAPONS

Swords

10: You take up a wooden sword and practise correct grips and stances.

20: You practise slow swings to move your blade to precisely marked targets, building up your muscles and control.

Archery

Polearms

ANIMALS

Horses

Dogs

10: You visit the kennels and learn about different breeds of dogs.

20: You learn about dog grooming and the most common diseases and injuries that dogs suffer from.

30: You learn the standard commands for working with trained hunting dogs and retrievers.

40: You practice working with trained dogs in a small area, telling them to stay, search and fetch.

50: You choose a young puppy and begin raising him to respond to you over all others.

Falcons

HISTORY

Novan

Foreign Affairs

World

INTRIGUE

Internal Affairs

10: Until you have children of your own, your maternal uncle, the Duke of Merva, is next in line for the crown, and after him would be his daughter, your cousin Charlotte.

20: Your maternal uncle’s wife, the Countess Nix, claims kinship to the old Merva line and originally asked your mother for title to the Duchy. However, no one could verify her lineage. As a compromise, your mother created her brother Duke of Merva.

30: The last Duke of Mead was the older half brother of the current Duchess. His reign was brief and highly scandalous – he defied tradition to pledge himself as the lifemate of the old Duke of Ursul, then broke that off only a year later. He retired into seclusion and died still unwed.

40: The Duke of Maree has paid suit to the Duchess of Ursul to no avail. The Duchess’s brother is opposed, as he will inherit if she dies childless. Your agents suspect the Duchess is actually more interested in the Duchess of Hellas. Neither has ever been linked to a man.

50: Countess Lieke of Dis married the old Duke of Sudbury, who was more than twice her age, then divorced him as soon as she’d borne him an heir in order to marry another. It was considered shockingly rude by the general nobility, but the old Duke apparently had no objection.

60: The Countess of Dis is now married to the disinherited third sibling of the Duke of Maree and the Duchess of Hellas. Currently, both Duke and Duchess are unwed. If either dies without an heir, a title may still pass to the Countess’s husband.

70: Several generations back, the rulers of Elath and Sedna in neighbouring Talasse married. The citizens of Elath objected to this foreign influence, and the resulting heir died in suspicious circumstances, after which the title was passed to a distant branch of the family rather than another child of the Elath-Sedna union.

Foreign Intelligence

10: The current Duke of Sedna is twenty-six years old and unmarried. He might be considered a good marriage prospect for you if you desire stronger ties with the domain of Talasse.

20: The domain of Shanjia, across the sea to the west, has been steadily increasing in size, and now controls a wide range of coastline as well as most of the navigable rivers.

30: The political disruption in Tombula in recent years has caused a disruption in their chocolate production, which is to the benefit of Nova, particularly the duchy of Kigal.

40: Since their recent revolution, the Tombulans have twice begun gathering troops on the Novan border. Both times, their camps were struck by fierce storms and earthquakes, and they decided to give up on the idea.

50: Pirates are once again operating out of Orcus, although they are currently sticking to the northern seas and no threat to Nova. However, if they turn to slave raids, the Borealans may be quite vulnerable.

Ciphering

10: You practise reading words whose letters have been arranged in reverse order – the simplest of transpositions, which anyone literate can puzzle through if they try, but sometimes useful to hide information thg is nia lpni.

20: You practise shifting substitution ciphers, where each letter is replaced by one a few steps further along the alphabet, so that “cake and pie” becomes “fdnh dqg slh”.

30: You practise random substitution ciphers, where the normal alphabet is replaced by one in jumbled order. This is harder to decode, but most people need a written substitution chart to read or write it, and that chart can be lost or stolen.

MEDICINE

Herbs

Battlefield

Poison

10: The first treatment for most ingested poisons is to purge the stomach by forcing the victim to eat powdered charcoal, which can absorb dangerous substances.

ECONOMICS

Accounting

10: You brush up on basic mathematics with the help of an abacus.

20: You study the manipulation of larger quantities through direct calculations, using written numbers instead of an abacus.

Trade

Production

MILITARY

Strategy

Naval Strategy

Logistics

10: You learn about the types and amounts of food required for an army on the march, and how long they will remain edible.

FAITH

Meditation

Divination

Lore

MAHOU SHOUJO

Sense Magic

Resist Magic

Wield Magic

• Locked thread