Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's not true at all, not that you're the only one saying things to this effect. Some of them are definitely strongly and loudly religious too.

My bad, I should amend it to remove the "only" part. I remember a number of years ago when a far-right party wanted to amend the Polish constitution to mention Jesus Christ as the eternal king of Poland.

Though I'm pretty sure that the use of religion changes depending on which line of attack is being used: if it's about immigrants in general, I usually hear about the specific domestic religion; if it's Muslims, then I hear more about wanting to keep a secular society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wow what did you guys do to bring out the racists?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

I think that was a reference to :heritage:.

I know, and it's presenting an equivalence between a political movement to subjugate a race of people, and a cultural tradition that dates to back when for the participants Africa was a mythical land from fairy tales and Bible stories.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrandorKP posted:

post generic trolls like "kill whitey" and see who gets real mad about it, easy

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

"let me tell you how to communicate with people outside of internet echo chambers" says the man posting to another within an internet echo chamber

But I am actively finding those who disagree with me to get a difference of opinion, so am I really in a echo camber. If I wanted to be in a echocamber I would hang out in r/distributism.

BrandorKP posted:

Yeah its rather disturbing people seem to think that only the idea of a white identity existing is the reason people cling to race as a concept. You have to replace it with something for it go. Personally I would say replace it with the concept of being an American. Then spread Americanism to other countries. Personally I would rather we learn to be brothers and sisters in Christ again but I think alot of the people here would consider that worse then giving up the idiocy of race

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 5, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mojo1701a posted:

My bad, I should amend it to remove the "only" part. I remember a number of years ago when a far-right party wanted to amend the Polish constitution to mention Jesus Christ as the eternal king of Poland.

Though I'm pretty sure that the use of religion changes depending on which line of attack is being used: if it's about immigrants in general, I usually hear about the specific domestic religion; if it's Muslims, then I hear more about wanting to keep a secular society.

The current Polish government is attempting to turn the country into a literal theocracy. To such an extent that Polish clerics associated with the government are openly calling the Pope a limp wristed liberal, who must be defied so Poland can institute its own truly Catholic regime.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

But I am actively finding those who disagree with me to get a difference of opinion, so am I really in a echo camber. If I wanted to be in a echocamber I would hang out in r/distributism.

if you're not in an echo chamber than nobody else itt is either and i expect you to recant your argument and apologize, immediately, or be exposed as a Hypocrite and a Coward

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

The current Polish government is attempting to turn the country into a literal theocracy. To such an extent that Polish clerics associated with the government are openly calling the Pope a limp wristed liberal, who must be defied so Poland can institute its own truly Catholic regime.

Yeah even a prolifer like me finds their policies extreme. Also love how those Catholics seem to think all sub saharan Africans are Muslims. Or also ignore that the Catholic Church is seeing growth in Europe through the formely muslim immigrants.

boner confessor posted:

if you're not in an echo chamber than nobody else itt is either and i expect you to recant your argument and apologize, immediately, or be exposed as a Hypocrite and a Coward

Just think of me as your devils advocate.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm an atheist who loving loves Pope Francis, but I'm hoping this leads to an anti-pope.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah good job at getting rid of prejudice you guys. Why not gently caress the concept of identity based on skin color.

The thing is, in the context people say 'gently caress Whitey', what they actually mean is 'gently caress this social construct with vaguely defined definitions that exists at the top of the power structure'

'gently caress Whitey' is a much better sentiment to use, as it rolls off the tongue easier. Whitey, as a group, is a rather broad house covering virtually everyone that has privilege based on the colour of their skin being able to pass the paper bag test. This is completely independent of actual 'race'.

I'm a complete mongrel with a bit of everything, but I am still in the group of 'Whitey' because I can enjoy a range of advantages that I don't necessarily deserve thanks to a fairly accidental circumstance of birth.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Rush Limbo posted:

The thing is, in the context people say 'gently caress Whitey', what they actually mean is 'gently caress this social construct with vaguely defined definitions that exists at the top of the power structure'

'gently caress Whitey' is a much better sentiment to use, as it rolls off the tongue easier. Whitey, as a group, is a rather broad house covering virtually everyone that has privilege based on the colour of their skin being able to pass the paper bag test. This is completely independent of actual 'race'.

I'm a complete mongrel with a bit of everything, but I am still in the group of 'Whitey' because I can enjoy a range of advantages that I don't necessarily deserve thanks to a fairly accidental circumstance of birth.

Well the thing is if you want to get rid of that group that enjoys the privilege you have to get rid of the concept that causes such a group to exist. The very concept of race would have to be suppressed actively from society. So yes the concept of Black, of East Asian, and of Middle Eastern Identity would need to be gone as well.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I don't see how people representing alt-right can be viewed as somehow better on various issues than generic conservatives. You can't even call them "conservatives without jesus" like you call libertarians "conservatives who smoke weed", since they looove crusader imagery.
You can't say they respect LGBT rights when they prefer LGBT left alone, but all their issues ignored (and happily mock anyone who is not a gay male).
Their economy position is either non-existent or doesn't go beyond "gently caress migrants" or "corporations are bad because they have diversity programs".
The non-intervention/anti-NATO position is bullshit since they don't hide their desire for blood and conflict.

And when you go from nihilists hiding behind ironic personas to theorists and main figures in the movement, there is just a parade of hateful and moronic bullshit, reheated early 20th century theories about eugenics, racial science and nationalism.

I think calls for civility regarding alt-right should be ignored. These are not simple bigots venting off or disenfranchised people that bought into poo poo promises. These are people who knowingly promote hate and seek normalization of hatred toward minorities and women as an endgoal.
Save empathy for people who deserve it and call out an incel fash failson when you see one.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

fatherboxx posted:

I think calls for civility regarding alt-right should be ignored. These are not simple bigots venting off or disenfranchised people that bought into poo poo promises. These are people who knowingly promote hate and seek normalization of hatred toward minorities and women as an endgoal.
Save empathy for people who deserve it and call out an incel fash failson when you see one.

Really all that needs to said about the alt-right.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Crowsbeak posted:

Well the thing is if you want to get rid of that group that enjoys the privilege you have to get rid of the concept that causes such a group to exist. The very concept of race would have to be suppressed actively from society. So yes the concept of Black, of East Asian, and of Middle Eastern Identity would need to be gone as well.

As with many attempts to use colour blindness as a defense, this falls short because you believe the reason these power dynamics exist is because they've been willed in by name, much like some sort of demonic summoning ritual.

Say we were entirely to eliminate these distinctions, this is no guarantee that the inherent power structures that these distinctions broadly define would cease to exist.

All your doing is engaging in a form of Orwellian style belief of Newspeak where if you eliminate the word you eliminate the concept. This is bullshit.

If you were to eliminate the concept of black and white in terms of racial identity all you've done is eliminated the concept of those identities, you're not going to eliminate the inherent issue where if a cop sees a suspect of a particular skin colour he's going to be more trigger happy than if the suspect wasn't that particular colour.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Rush Limbo posted:

As with many attempts to use colour blindness as a defense, this falls short because you believe the reason these power dynamics exist is because they've been willed in by name, much like some sort of demonic summoning ritual.

Say we were entirely to eliminate these distinctions, this is no guarantee that the inherent power structures that these distinctions broadly define would cease to exist.

All your doing is engaging in a form of Orwellian style belief of Newspeak where if you eliminate the word you eliminate the concept. This is bullshit.

If you were to eliminate the concept of black and white in terms of racial identity all you've done is eliminated the concept of those identities, you're not going to eliminate the inherent issue where if a cop sees a suspect of a particular skin colour he's going to be more trigger happy than if the suspect wasn't that particular colour.

Wait are you saying that the concept doesn't play into the cops choosing to target those of darker skin colors. ALso that can easily be part of the larger fact that our cops instinctively use violence. Also great you want to get rid of those structures. Good, then recognize they have a similar origin to the concept of race. Also you could do well by putting in place fear for types who cannot embrace a system.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

Wait are you saying that the concept doesn't play into the cops choosing to target those of darker skin colors. ALso that can easily be part of the larger fact that our cops instinctively use violence.

At literally every step of the process, higher percentages of black people are targeted versus white people.

That is clearly beyond "cops just use violence naturally".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

At literally every step of the process, higher percentages of black people are targeted versus white people.

That is clearly beyond "cops just use violence naturally".

I said that.But even if we destroyed it as a concept we'd have alot of people dying to the cops. Because destroying it as a concept would mean they would acting like thugs to the general population equally.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 6, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

I said that.But even if we destroyed it as a concept we'd have alot of people dying to the cops. Because destroying it as a concept would mean they would acting like thugs to the general population equally.

Probably not, in all likelihood.

Just for one example, there's a lot less impetus to fund prison and police programs when there aren't urban blacks thugs running around.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

Probably not, in all likelihood.

Just for one example, there's a lot less impetus to fund prison and police programs when there aren't urban blacks thugs running around.

Considering how much money police in rural areas where the skin color of the residents color is Edward cullen get and how thuggish they can act I doubt its just race existing as a concept that leads to them being the thugs in blue.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

We have at least one admin who'd like to squash "kill whitey", "whitepeople.txt" and the like because it's low-effort that adds nothing to discussion. I wouldn't count on that for being a good barometer for long.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

Considering how much money police in rural areas where the skin color of the residents color is Edward cullen get and how thuggish they can act I doubt its just race existing as a concept that leads to them being the thugs in blue.

The police overall have a whole host of problems. They all lead to people, especially in the lower class, becoming victims of violence perpetrated by them. A few these problems also result in African Americans (and Latinos) being disproportionately targeted by the police. Just because an organization is doing something horrible to a wide range of people doesn't mean they can't also be focusing it on a specific group.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It doesn't follow that because fascists recruit losers, all losers must become fascists, anymore than all bricks must become part of crematoriums.

This explains why Republicans and other bad sorts want to attack Set Theory.

"An elephant is a mammal. Not all mammals are elephants. Not all elephants are good."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

But what you're not getting is that it can still be a massive decrease overall.

Like yes, there are white dudes that are treated terribly by cops but still orders of magnitude better than a non-white person in that same situation. There's no reason that cops would have to get more nasty with the white dudes if this hypothetical did happen.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

Like yes, there are white dudes that are treated terribly by cops but still orders of magnitude better than a non-white person in that same situation. There's no reason that cops would have to get more nasty with the white dudes if this hypothetical did happen.

Might be that police have a culture based around treating civilians as threats.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

Might be that police have a culture based around treating civilians as threats.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

Unless they're naturally violent people, and black people just happen to be a lightning rod for their rage. Not saying this is universally true, or that racism might not increase their desire to beat people up, but I wouldn't be surprised at some of them reacting to a deemphasizing of the race divide with an emphasizing of the cop/civilian divide.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SickZip posted:

Since we spent so much of this thread speculating on the sex life of the right, can we spend some time speculating on the average skin color of the gently caress whitey posters, I'm going with somewhere between ivory and alabaster.

Subliminated self-hatred is so tedious to read...

This is too revealing of the craven "white identity." "Why would you criticize whiteness when you are literally white, or could pass as white, and literally enjoy the privilege of whiteness?"

It's like you don't even have a concept of decency or fairness. Dominating others is all you understand, but without the power to actually dominate anyone. Instead you'll stand behind white people with actual power and leer at minorities while your own pockets get cleaned out. "At least I'm white!" you'll crow, in the midst of homelessness.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

boner confessor posted:

If you're 'lucky' you can even get alt righties using your trollposts as 'evidence' of white genocide being real and citing you in their racist thinkpieces. Which keeps happening to pals of mine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Spacedad posted:

If you're 'lucky' you can even get alt righties using your trollposts as 'evidence' of white genocide being real and citing you in their racist thinkpieces. Which keeps happening to pals of mine.
Ironic racism is still racism.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SickZip posted:

Since we spent so much of this thread speculating on the sex life of the right, can we spend some time speculating on the average skin color of the gently caress whitey posters, I'm going with somewhere between ivory and alabaster.

Subliminated self-hatred is so tedious to read...

:five:

woke wedding drone posted:

This is too revealing of the craven "white identity." "Why would you criticize whiteness when you are literally white, or could pass as white, and literally enjoy the privilege of whiteness?"

It's like you don't even have a concept of decency or fairness. Dominating others is all you understand, but without the power to actually dominate anyone. Instead you'll stand behind white people with actual power and leer at minorities while your own pockets get cleaned out. "At least I'm white!" you'll crow, in the midst of homelessness.
Maybe we just don't like your tone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spacedad posted:

And then you use generic alt-right troll posts as evidence of a vast new conspiracy seizing the nation by a storm and call a cartoon frog the greatest threat to democracy since Brezhnev.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

woke wedding drone posted:

god's chosen people

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

call a cartoon frog the greatest threat to democracy since Brezhnev.

No one did this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

And then you use generic alt-right troll posts as evidence of a vast new conspiracy seizing the nation by a storm and call a cartoon frog the greatest threat to democracy since Brezhnev.

Frankly the rise of neonazis across the west is a threat to democracy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly the rise of neonazis across the west is a threat to democracy.

People like Orban, Le Pen, Farage, Kaczynski, Erdogan do not proselytize with dank memes on the internet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Look I know this is hard to understand for you. But advocacy of discrimination against some while saying discrimination against others is bad tends to not win you any allies outside of internet echo chambers.

Yeah, I'm really concerned about winning over allies on the dead comedy website of forums dot something awful dot com. :jerkbag:

Crowsbeak posted:

So how many allies have you gained by telling people you want to get rid of Blacks, East Asians, and Middle-Easterners? I bet it's tons.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

Maybe we just don't like your tone.

Heh. I think you'd be OK with it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, I'm really concerned about winning over allies on the dead comedy website of forums dot something awful dot com. :jerkbag:

So how many allies have you gained by telling people you want to get rid of Blacks, East Asians, and Middle-Easterners? I bet it's tons.

Quite a few actually, being that they would be fine if they were first identified as Americans, rather then their perceived skin color or their religion. Sorry if reality doesn't conform to your fantasy. Also if you act like you do on here you will not be gaining any allies.

steinrokkan posted:

People like Orban, Le Pen, Farage, Kaczynski, Erdogan do not proselytize with dank memes on the internet.

They definitely help in inspiring the scum.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Quite a few actually, being that they would be fine if they were first identified as Americans, rather then their perceived skin color or their religion. Sorry if reality doesn't conform to your fantasy.

Really now? So where's the widespread minority movement to erase the concept of blackness from the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Really now? So where's the widespread minority movement to erase the concept of blackness from the world?

Maybe not enough people even consider that race is a concept. Our media drills it as a fact into our heads people of different skin tones dating is still portrayed as rare and exotic.

• Locked thread