Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Alright, here's what's been apped by who so far.

Viva Miriya - Marcus, Ultramarine, Tac Marine
Mustache Ride - Corsan, Raptors, Tac Marine/Kill Marine
LuiCypher - Odyerus, Marines Errant, Tac Marine
MaliciousOnion - Sindri, Space Wolves, Tac Marine/Wolf Priest

Dachsundofdoom - Gerharrt, Black Templar, Assault Marine/Chaplain
wiegieman - Tormagoden, Flesh Tearer, Assault Marine

Vicissitude - Marvolo, Iron Hands, Techmarine/Forge Master
Rockopolis - Pyriel, Salamanders, Techmarine

Schizotek - Krim, White Scars, Apothecary

Liquid Dinosaur - Amity, Carcharodons, Librarian

We have one apothecary, one librarian, two tech and assault marines, and three tac marines. If it stays like this I'd say Werix and I would best fill in as devastators or something.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Once I get Trade (Forge Master), I'll be focusing on Hatred to fit more in with my fluff. We are ANGRY. Angry at XENOS.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Pyriel would be angrier at the Xenos if his helmet actually let him see them.

I'm banking XP towards Forge Master.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Odyerus is just tired of all these goddamn boarding attempts by xenos. Every time they try, he just waits by the bulkhead and pulls the trigger on his shotgun until it goes click.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Boarding actions are great. They don't have anywhere to run from your drill!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Them boarding us, or the other way round? Hey, Kool-Aid Marine!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

With the Flesh Tearer and Odyerus, we have both aspects of Doomguy - the shotgunning with the ripping and tearing. With the rest of the group, walls and doors are merely suggestions.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Doomguy is an unreachable platonic ideal. In a way, all killing is an aspect of Doomguy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

LuiCypher posted:

With the Flesh Tearer and Odyerus, we have both aspects of Doomguy - the shotgunning with the ripping and tearing. With the rest of the group, walls and doors are merely suggestions.

And ceilings. DEATH FROM ABOVE

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Floors too, if we can get a mole tank.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Sindri

Deep within the bowels of the Space Wolves Battle Barge Coldfang, two giants kneel before each other, in a small room lit only by four iron braziers. The smoke and heat are oppressive, but the Astartes show no signs of discomfort. They drink a concoction of herb-steeped water from a shared cup, then one of them speaks.

"Brother Sindri," the grey-haired Astartes speaks, "you fought well in our last battle. I have listened to my counsel and have found no error in your judgement or actions. The loss of your pack was no fault of yours. The traitors used powers beyond our knowledge to ambush and surround you, but your pack fought well. It is my failing that we were not able to reach you in time, an error I will be sure to correct in the future." The Astartes pauses for a moment before continuing. "I understand you wish to take the Oath of the Lone Wolf?"

"Yes, Lord Harald," the younger Astartes replies, with a nod of his head.

"Mm, as is your right. However, I would ask you a favour. Your name is spoken of highly within our halls, and many of your brothers look to you. The Wolf Priest Hreidar's thread was also cut in that battle; I am in need of a replacement. I ask you to forgo your Oath and take up the path of the Wolf Priest. You will be seconded to the Deathwatch, where you will learn to work with Astartes who may not see eye-to-eye with you. This will be your test. I will not choose this path for you, that must be your choice."

The younger Astartes sits with his head bowed in deep thought for a moment. Raising it, he looks the Wolf Lord in the eyes. "I will do this, Lord Harald," he says.

quote:

Why did you join Deathwatch?
I have been chosen to become a Wolf Priest, one of the most respected brothers of the Rout. Joining the Deathwatch is my final training and my trial.

Have you just joined or have you been here awhile? If the latter, why have you stayed?
I have not yet even met my squadmates, let alone joined battle with them. My test is yet to come.

Which of the major xenos species do you think poses the greatest threat for humanity, and why?
The Eldar. Of all the xenos species they are the most unpredictable, and of all the species that profess to sapience they are the only ones without honour. Even the simplistic Orks have a primitive form of respect for strength. The Eldar have an agenda that defies logic and classification, and they interfere in everything the Imperium does. They may not be the killing blow, but they will be the knife in our side that weakens us.
pre:
Name: Sindri
Chapter: Space Wolves
Specialty: Tactical Marine > Wolf Priest
Demeanour: Gregarious
           The Sons of Russ

Characteristics:
WS    54   (14 + 30 + 10 (Advances))
BS    38   (8 + 30)
S     40   (10 + 30)
T     41   (11 + 30)
Ag    44   (9 + 30 + 5 (Advances))
Int   49   (14 + 30 + 5 (Advances))
Per   41   (6 + 30 + 5 (Chapter))
WP    47   (12 + 30 + 5 (Advances))
Fel   51   (16 + 30 + 5 (Chapter))

Wounds: 24
Fate: 5
Renown: 25
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0

Skills:
Awareness +10
Carouse +10
Charm
Ciphers (Chapter Runes)
Climb
Command
Dodge
Common Lore (Adeptus Astartes, Imperium, War)
Concealment
Drive (Ground Vehicles)
Intimidate +10
Literacy
Navigation (Surface)
Performer (Storyteller) +10
Scholastic Lore (Codex Astartes)
Silent Move
Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic)
Tactics (Choose one)
Tracking +20
Wrangling +10

Talents:
Air of Authority
Ambidextrous
Astartes Weapons Training
Bulging Biceps
Hardy
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight, Smell)
Hunter of Aliens
Iron Discipline
Killing Strike
Nerves of Steel
Polyglot
Quick Draw
Rapid Reaction
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Psychic Powers)
Signature Wargear (Master)
True Grit
Unarmed Master

Traits:
Tactical Expertise
Unnatural Strength (x2)
Unnatural Toughness (x2)

Gear:
Astartes Mk8 "Errant" Power Armour
 The Emperor's Finest: +5 to Pinning, Fear and Command Tests
Astartes bolt pistol
3 Astartes frag grenades
3 Astartes krak grenades
Astartes combat knife
Repair cement
Chapter Trapping
Astartes bolter with fire selector
1 clip of Special Issue ammunition (not exceeding 25 Requisition per clip)
Exceptional Plasma Pistol (Signature Weapon)

Experience: 25,000/27,000

Advances:
Int +5                         500
WS +5                          500
 Rank 1 (13,000–16,999)
WP +5                          200
Carouse                        200
Carouse +10                    200
Performer (Storyteller)        200
Performer (Storyteller) +10    200
Tracking +10                   200
Tracking +20                   200
Wrangling                      100
Wrangling +10                  100
Hardy                          400
Hunter of Aliens             1,000
Sound Constitution             500
Sound Constitution             500
 Rank 2 (17,000–20,999)
Awareness +10                  200
Charm                          800
Command                        300
Polyglot                       500
Air of Authority               500
Rapid Reload                   200
Ag +5                          500
Signature Wargear              500
Signature Wargear (Master)   1,000
 Rank 3 (21,000–24,999)
Rapid Reaction                 500
Iron Discipline                600
WS +10                       1,000
Sound Constitution           1,000
Intimidate +10                 400
 Rank 4 (25,000–29,999)
Characteristics: 10#2d10 14 4 9 10 16 14 11 12 8 6
Wounds: 1d5+18 21
Fate: 1d10 10
Power Armour Mark: 1d10 9
Power Armour History: 1d5 3
Power Armour History: 1d10 2

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 16, 2016

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The hive mind has deliberated, and our picks have been made. Dyne and I have chosen:

Marcus, Veteran of the First Tyrannic War and returning Deathwatch Veteran, played by Viva Miriya

Chaplain Gerharrt, Zealous warrior and faithful adviser from the Black Templars, played by Dachshundofdoom

Tormagoden the Eviserator Assault marine from the totally not going to worship Khorne some day legion the Flesh Tearers, played by Wiegieman

Brother Marvolo Forge master of the Cybernetically obsessed Iron Hands Legion, played by Vicissitude

Brother Odyerus a fine gentleman of means from the marines Errant, played by luicypher

Sindri A friendly Son of Russ played by Maliciousonion

It was hard for us to go through the apps we had, we had so many good quality ones with a lot of overlap. In the end dyne and I decided to embrace that overlap, and take a hopefully flexible group with three tactical marines, two assault marines, and one Tech marine.

My character is done, and shall be posted below. Dyne is working on his character, which isn't in dire need since he is running the game first. For now we just wait for him to post a link to the OP.

If everyone wants to post IC impression of the other you may go ahead and do so. Some of the characters may have pre-existing relationships or worked together in the past. This is not required, but you may feel free to do so.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Decius, Devastator of the White Consuls

It is rare for a White Consul to do a tour of duty in the Deathwatch. The White Consuls are one of the Astartes Praeses, twenty chapters tasked with patrolling the Eye of Terror and engaging any Chaos forces that are encountered. Given that, they rarely fight Xenos, and as such have nothing to gain from the Deathwatch, and nothing to contribute.

So Decius's first tour was interesting. The White Consuls had deployed to the Jericho Reach to assist in fighting Chaos. It was during one such combat that most of Decius's force was wiped out. With less than a squad left, and years before they could expect a resupply, many of the White Consuls joined other chapters operating in the Reach, while Decius decided to join the Deathwatch Forces at Watch Fortress Erioch. For nearly five years Decius acted as a Tactical Marine. During that time he learned to despise the Dark Eldar. They were just as depraved as the worst Slaaneshi cultists, but even harder to catch and kill. Just when you thought they were cornered they would pull some maneuver, taking off into the Webway and the sanctuary of their hellish city, captive in tow. All the other enemies of man could be tracked down and stopped, but so long as the Dark Eldar hid in the Webway, they could never be truly defeated.

After five years a resupply vessel made its way Erioch, and Decius hitched a ride and eventually made it back to his chapter, where he spent the next few years in the Ghotic sector, chasing down the remnants of the 12th Black Crusade; his skills in fighting cunning xenos of help.

For a White Consul to serve two terms in the Deathwatch is entirely unheard of, and as far as chapter records are concerned, Decius is the only one to ever do so. One of his old allies from his days at Erioch had recommended Decius for service on the ship Purgation of Hope a strike cruiser that travels the Imperium doing Deathwatch business all over the galaxy. The White Consuls were not going to turn down such a direct request made of one of their own, and Decius was recalled from the Gothic Sector and rejoined the Deathwatch.

This time he was to serve in the position of a Devastator marine. Given that, the chapter Forge Master gifted to Decius the “Last Resort” a heavily modified assault shotgun that Decius could use if enemies got too close. With the shotgun and modified Corvus armor incorporating the latest chestpiece from the Errant mark of armor, Decius was once again sent to join the Deathwatch

pre:
Name: Decius
Chapter: White Consuls (Ultramarine successor) 
Specialty: Deathwatch Devastator
Deed: Return to Duty
Solo Mode: Favored Son
Special Abilities: Unrelenting Devastation (1exta damage per horde, 1d5 if blast)
Personal Demeanour: Pious
Chapter Demeanour: Honour the Codex

WS  41=30+11
BS  67=30+17+5[chapter]+15[advance]
S   45=30+10+5[advance]
T   45=30+10+5[advance]
Ag  51=30+16+5[chapter]
Int 41=30+11
Per 56=30+16+10[advance]
WP  45=30+10+5[advance]
Fel 37=30+7

Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0
Renown:25 (respected)
Wounds:22=20+2
Fate: 3

Skills:
Awareness+20
Ciphers (chapter runes, Deathwatch)
Climb
Common Lore (Imperial Guard, adeptus astartes, Imperium, war, deathwatch+20)
Concealment
Demolition
Dodge
Drive (Ground vehicles)
Forbidden Lore (Deathwatch, Inquisition, Xenos)
Intimidate
Literacy
Navigation (surface)
Scholastic Lore (codex astartes)
Silent move
Speak Language (high and low gothic)
Tactics (orbital drop proceedures)
Tracking

Talents:
Ambidetrous
Astartes weapons Training
Bolter drill
Bulging Biceps
Cleanse and purify
Crack shot
Deadeye shot
Die hard
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Hip shooting
Killing Strike
Marksman
Mighty shot
Nerves of steel
Peer (Deathwatch)
Quick draw
Rapid reload
Rapid Reaction
Resistance (psychic powers)
Sound constitution x2
Storm of Iron
Target selection
Talented (Forbidden lore xenos)
True Grit
Unarmed Master

Traits
Unnatural Strengthx2
Unnatural Toughness x2

Gear
Power Armor Mark 6 “Corvus”
-mark 8 elements: chest plate, AP 11
-last survivor: Extra fate point each mission
Bolt Pistol
3 frags
3 kraks
Combat knife
Repair cement
Chapter Trapping
Heavy bolter w/backpack ammo supply

“Last Resort” Signature Wargear
Astartes assault shotgun (141 RoB) 7req
-chain melee attachment 9req
-fire selector 2req
-dipol maglock 5req
-Preysense sight 10

Experience: 26,800/27,000

Advances:
Rank 0  (12,000-12,999)
Return to Duty Deed 400
Signature wargear 500
Ciphers Deathwatch 200

Rank 1 Deathwatch Devastator Marine (13,000-16,999)
cleanse and purify 500
Mighty shot 500
BS simple 200
BS intermediate 500
Willpower simple 500
Toughness advance simple 500
Strength advance simple 200
Sound Constitution x2 1000

Rank 2 Deathwatch Devastator Marine (17,000-20,999)
Signature wargear [master] 1000
Awareness +10 300
Demolition 400
Common Lore Deathwatch +10 200
Crack shot 500
Deadeye shot 500
die hard 500
BS trained 1000

Rank 3 Deathwatch Devastator Marine (21,000-24,999)
Bolter Drill 800
Hip shooting 500
Target selection 500
Awareness +20 800
Rapid reload 300
Rapid Reaction 300
Common lore deathwatch +20 200

Rank 4 Deathwatch Devastator Marine (25,000-29,999)
Marksman 500
Storm of iron 500
Perception simple 200
Perception intermediate 500

Werix fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 17, 2016

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Congrats Wiegieman! Have Tormagoden chow down on some Xenos for me. Can't go wrong anointing your breaching augur with a little butter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

Congrats Wiegieman! Have Tormagoden chow down on some Xenos for me. Can't go wrong anointing your breaching augur with a little butter.

This is Tormagoden's new goal: to eat, lobster style, one of each tyranid. Cervelle de Zoanthrope, here we come.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Go ahead and give me impressions of one another if you guys like. There's a black shield on board who is staying on the cruiser for the first sortie, so feel free to speculate or flat up ignore him.

First mission, from what you pick up from idle chatter, is an assault on an ork krooza laying siege to a paradise world from atmosphere, so feel free to comment on that as well.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Werix posted:

If everyone wants to post IC impression of the other you may go ahead and do so. Some of the characters may have pre-existing relationships or worked together in the past. This is not required, but you may feel free to do so.

As Brother Odyerus

Marcus:
Ah. A Battle-Brother from the Chapter of our 'spiritual liege'. Can't really disrespect his experience whatsoever - the man fought Tyranids and won, in the strictest sense. In the less strict sense, the man is lost to the Tyranids - all of his battle experience revolves around killing them to the point of obsession, but they might not be fighting Tyranids all the time. What good are tactics for fighting waves of scything claws against the fluid firing lines and feints of the Tau, Eldar, and Dark Eldar? Nevertheless, if the call goes out and the team is going to fight Tyranids, there isn't a single other person Odyerus would want leading the team: Odyerus would gladly elect Marcus over himself. Say what he would about the Codex and the Ultramarines, this Brother knows how to get things done when it comes to the Tyranids.

Chaplain Gerharrt:
The fact that someone from the Black Templars is a Chaplain is about as surprising as a Word Bearer being a Dark Apostle - the two are practically synonymous. What makes Gerharrt really interesting though is that he's a Deathwatch Chaplain. It's more than likely that he will never return to his Chapter, instead electing to take a Long Vigil and ministering the rites of not only his Chapter, but every other Chapter that constitutes the Deathwatch. That's an impressive amount of... leeway being shown by a Black Templar. Odyerus suspects that he'll get along well with the Chaplain though - as a Brother from a Crusading Chapter much like his own, both of them are probably comfortable with life on a Strike Cruiser.

Tormagoden the Eviscerator:
A thought passes through Odyerus' head that makes him shudder - on board a vessel of House Ecale, Tormagoden would be a proverbial bull in a china shop. Priceless wall hangings would be sundered in anger. Random ratings would be found pasted against the bulkheads. Diplomacy would devolve into bloodbaths. Yet out of all these nightmare scenarios that flash through his head about the tactless Flesh Tearer, one gives him comfort: putting the crazy bastard in a boarding torpedo, assault boat, or better yet - a Caestus. Pointing this Brother in the direction of the enemy and telling him to go to town is just a flat-out winning strategy that works every time. Controlling him in between fights is going to be the most difficult test of Odyerus' ability to command, though.

Marvolo:
Where does the Battle Brother end and the Machine start? Odyerus has heard tales of Iron Hands Battle Brothers that are so mechanized that they're hardly human anymore, but upon seeing Marvolo he now knows that those tales are true. Prejudices aside, Marvolo is the one team member that Odyerus regards as absolutely essential. Techmarines are lauded in a Chapter like the Marines Errant where their wargear is limited, in a state of disrepair, or desperately needed. Odyerus was far, far away from the Techmarines of his Chapter or even the Explorators of House Ecale. To be left unable to repair, recover, or rehabilitate his wargear would be extremely shameful, but this Brother makes it possible for Odyerus to do so. Besides, both of them seem to regard the Codex with a hearty bit of skepticism...

Sindri:
A Son of Russ? We really do have an eclectic group, to say the least. Still, it looks like he's about as familiar with the Deathwatch as Odyerus is. Which is to say, not at all (except for the basic training that all newly-inducted Brothers go through). He's also a brother who went through his time in the Chapter and came out the other end preferring to be a Tactical Marine, specializing in no particular aspect of warfare save for command, maybe. Though Sindri is a Space Wolf, he probably won't seem very hot-headed compared to the Flesh Tearer.

Decius:
Another Ultramarines successor? Odyerus has to wonder if their group is a power-play by the Ultramarines and their successors - including the Marines Errant - to show the rest of the Adeptus Astartes why they're the best. Nevertheless, the Devastator brings much needed firepower to the group that will give them the ultimate tactical flexibility. Odyerus appreciates that Decius also seems to prefer the kick of the Astartes Assault Shotgun to the regular-issue Bolt Pistol. While he is envious of the chain attachment compared to his mono one, Odyerus takes solace in that his 'Welcoming Committee' is a gift from House Ecale and as such its quality matches the status of the gift-giver.

The Black Shield:
Could it be... Brother Solitude? Probably not, but Odyerus couldn't help but get his hopes up...

If you guys want to know more about Brother Solitude, let me know - I have a little bit of backstory for him that you're welcome to take and suit your own needs.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 17, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

"Things overheard by anyone near That Loudmouth From the Flesh Tearers"

You know what most of these brothers have in common? They need to loosen up. I bet I'll get nothing but "oh, Tormagoden, we need to flank" and "oh, Tormagoden, we need to focus on the objective." I'm not "Tomagoden the one who performs actions in an objective-focused context," I'm Tormagoden the Eviscerator. I eviscerate. It works, nine times out of ten, and ten is what the drill is for. Let me tell you something -- you kill enough xenos, the objective takes care of itself.

Marcus, Ultramine, Tyrannic/Deathwatch Veteran:

Now this one, I like his style. For an Ultramarine, I mean. There's something so fun about flames. Just, you know, don't get too focused on them. You want to kill bugs, I know how to kill bugs. It fits in your hand and it's covered in teeth. I guess he's got one of those square Maccrage jaws that are good for shouting. Maybe we'll let him bark all the orders, and those flamers will be great for cookouts.

Gerhart, Black Templar Chaplain:
Don't take this the wrong way, but there's such a thing as taking the thing you love too seriously. Now, I love eviscerating, but I don't get weird about it. I've got enough brothers back home who cling on to the cutting and the hate, like it's what matters. What matters is how many dead xenos you put in hash marks on your chainsword. Unclench, brother. Make a great cut, then make a new great cut. Don't dwell brother -- quantity, quantity, quantity.

Marvolo, Iron Hands Forge master:
Another one obssessing over the bugs. I don't understand it, but most warriors don't like to fight the way the bugs fight, not like we do. And let me tell you, you kill a bug hive, that's good eating. I like the shanks off the big ones. Anyhow, this one has more metal than most. He puts me in the mind of those drat crawling machine skeletons, but I'll try not to hold it against him.

Odyerus, Marines Errant:
This fellow I like. That's the proper way to handle a weapon: get close and ride the recoil. Fine plate, too. He's got to have the right kind of friends. And glory of the throne, he's loosened up a little! No calling out chapter and verse from the codex, demanding a justification for every charge. Not that charging needs a justification, ever.

Sindri, a Wolf:
I've always liked the Wolves. They understand how to get things done: with your hands wrist deep in the enemy. This one seems to be trying his best to get serious about things -- which is fine -- but I know he'll be racing me to the enemy once the bolts start flying. And that's all I need to know.

Decius, White Consul:
Another Ultramarine in fancy new colors. I bet he'll be just as boring as all the others. I guess someone has to shoot the ones I can't reach. It might as well be him.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Marcus: The Ultramarines and the Black Templars have never cared much for each other; of course, the Ultramarines dislike any chapter that does not follow the dictates of the Codex down to the last detail. But regardless of our Chapters' relations, it is an honor to fight alongside someone so dedicated to the destruction of xenos. A veteran of the Tyrannic War is a peerless warrior, and he is no exception. The ravening hordes disgust me beyond measure, and were I capable of pity, I might feel it for any Tyranids we face.

Tormagoden: Nearly all of the Blood Angels and their Successors walk a razor's edge, destined to be consumed by their bottomless rage. The Flesh Tearers suffer an even worse fury than their brother Chapters. A terrible fate, but it undeniably makes them devastating warriors. The key with this one, I think, is harnessing his berserker rage and pointing him the right direction. If I can keep his bloodthirst sated, then hopefully I won't be forced to put him down one day. Emperor forbid I have to stain my hands with a brother's blood, but I will not shy away if it comes to it.

Marvolo: The Iron Hands understand hate; too well, perhaps. I fear they have let it stagnate and turn inwards, and now it manifests through a form of acceptable self-mutilation. Of course, their cybernetic obsession makes for effective Techmarines. Just like the Flesh Tearer's rage, the key is turning idiosyncrasies into weapons. We don't need to agree with each other's methods, we just need to kill.

Odyerus: As fellow crusaders, I have always respected the Marines Errant. That said, I must admit that the thought of serving at the beck and call of a Rogue Trader makes my blood boil, but perhaps the Marines Errant's deal with House Ecale was worth it. Perhaps. It certainly lets them fight in the finest wargear available.

Sindri: A new addition to the Deathwatch. The Space Wolves differ so immensely from other Chapters that dealing with them can be difficult, but their battle record does not lie. Let us hope this one lives up to his brothers' pedigree.

Decius: A Deathwatch Veteran and a member of a rarely seen Chapter in these halls. While we mostly hunt xenos here, I can certainly respect a chapter than hunts the Traitor scum. We may very well stumble across some of them; I would never pass up an opportunity to fight the Archenemy, and I doubt Decius would either.

Black Shield: I don't know what this one is doing here, but I won't claim to be pleased about it. They say that Black Shields' loyalty is proven beyond a doubt by the Inquisition's testing, but I still struggle to trust any Marine who bears no Mark. If nothing else, it's a struggle to understand them. Without knowing their chapter or past, and with some past sin or failure weighing on their souls, managing their morale is a struggle. Perhaps we'll see if this one can earn my respect. I have my doubts.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Marcus:
Ah yes, an Ultramarine. Any time the White Consuls get to interact with someone from the father chapter, it is to be celebrated; our work rarely takes us back to Macragge to join in the large gatherings of successor chapters that happens there, so while we are a second founding chapter, we are perhaps the most distant. I regret that our chapter was unable to heed the call when the Tyranids approached.

Anyway, Marcus seems a competent enough solider, and like myself he is returning to the Watch after having served once already. While I think some of the others will be chomping at the bit for leadership, Marcus is clearly the best choice if we ever encounter any swarming xenos like the Tyranids or orks.

Gerhart:
How refreshing to have a Chaplain with us. I am glad, as the Consuls are a bit more, reverent, of the Emperor than most chapters are. I hope that Gerhart will be able to see to all of our spiritual needs. Thankfully we do not have a Librarian, as that would make for some interesting dynamics.

Tormagoden:
I've seen Khorne Daemons with more self control than this one. Why the Angels were even allowed to have successor chapters is beyond me. This one is too close to heresy for my liking, and I would not shed a tear if their whole chapter were declared excomunicatus.

Marvolo:
It is always good to have tech marine around; you never know how much you need them until one is not there. Admittedly, an Iron Hand would make a sound choice for one, though to be honest, I would rather have a Salamanders Tech marine. Fought with one on my first Vigil, and there are no finer artisans of weapons in the Imperium. I am sure Marvolo will suffice.

Odyerus:
Another Ultramarine successor, but one much more remote in founding than I. I do appreciate where he comes from; while the White Consuls are not fleet based per say, most of our forces are on patrol of the Eye of Terror, so much so that we have two chapter masters, one to manage all the forces in the Eye, and one to manage the rest. I am wary of any Astartes that has made a deal with a Rogue Trader house, a real astartes should have their own ships and fleet.

Sindri:
Probably the more mysterious of the group, a Wolf Priest is like a Chaplain, but special. That's the thing with the Space Wolves, they just have to do things their own way. It isn't a scout, it is a wolf scout. It isn't a devastator, it is a long fang, and so on. I think they do it just to be intentionally contrarian. But so long as he fights well I shall call him Brother.

Black Shield:
Excellent, a black shield. Some of the others might have trepidation, as I did during my first Vigil, but after a few missions with one, I will never question the loyalty or skill of a black shield again. Once you get past obsessing over what their chapter was or why they are here, they are excellent warriors, and that is all that matters. I am sure it will be no different here.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Marcus
The Codex Astartes is meant to be the epitome of strategic and tactical literature. Truth told, it's not even worth the parchment it's written on. Since when has a battle conformed to our wishes? A battle plan is always the first casualty of war. An effective soldier must be able to adapt, and not be weighed down by rules and learning. That's not to say that knowledge doesn't have its place. While I do not agree with the Ultramarines' strict adherence to their Codex, I cannot fault their discipline.

Gerharrt
None can question the dedication of the Templars to our Emperor, although I wonder if that zeal can lead to blind faith. To have something to fight for is wise, to focus on that to the exclusion of all else is unwise. Besides, I hear that they are absolutely useless in celebrating a victory.

Tormagoden
Vicious, savage, barely checked rage. I must keep an eye on this one, lest he fall to his base urges. The safety of the pack is greater than any one man.

Marvolo
"The flesh is weak." Ha! I'd like to see how this one fares in the pits of Fenris.

Odyerus
The only thing worse than an Ultramarine is an Ultramarine who has sold himself to the highest bidder. A Space Marine should not live under the thumb of a Rogue Trader house. While it is our duty to protect the Imperium of Man, we must also set ourselves apart from it. We cannot let ourselves be brought down by politics. Our job is simple.

Decius
A contradiction of a warrior. His chapter almost exclusively fights the forces of Chaos - a noble path - yet he has served with the Deathwatch twice. Is that because the Deathwatch wanted him, or his chapter didn't?

The Black Shield
They may have a reputation for dedication to the Deathwatch but I cannot trust them. How can a pack build trust when there are secrets within it? How can I lead effectively, or trust someone when I can't understand their temperament and motivation?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Marcus: This one understands. He has seen firsthand the blight that is the tyranid threat, the worlds stripped to bare rock and all organic matter absorbed to be send back against humanity as living weapons. It will be an honor to maintain his weapons so he might better put paid to the advancing swarm.

Tormagoden: A lunatic exemplifying the worst of his chapter's bloodlust. It is a miracle from the Emperor's own hand that he hasn't killed an ally or an innocent to date. That we know of.

Gerharrt: An honorable man, as are all my brothers, but he stands above most that I've met. The purity of his righteous fury is an example, a beacon for us all to follow.

Odyerus: I do not know him. From what I heard of his arrival, he is hidebound by tradition. Not necessarily a bad thing, but his sense of duty may clash with itself at some point in the future.

Sindri: Somber, which is saying something, coming from me, I know. Not nearly as boisterous as the rest of his chapter though that's not a bad thing. He carries much pain in him. Even I can see that.

Decius: A man adrift, it seems. Can he be relied on? Certainly. But can he be trusted, that's the real question. His arrival in Deathwatch seems a decision made from a lack of options rather than dedication. Time will tell.

Black Shield: A penitent shell of a man within his armor. What sins must he atone for? Even more than the Consul, I'm not sure I can trust him to do anything but fling himself headlong into death or glory. Or perhaps death by glory.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Marcus
In another life, I would have stood shoulder to shoulder with this man with pride, fighting tooth and nail against all enemies of the Imperium. But for all that has happened, I do not know I can look Marcus in the eyes. May he never know what I am, and may I bring glory and honor to my lost chapter merely by fighting alongside him, as I did not fall with them.

Chaplain Gerharrt
I will have little to do with Gerharrt, if the Emperor heeds my wishes. He and I are two sides of the same coin, I will admit, as we are both crusaders and warriors of the God-Emperor, but it matters not; heads can not see tails. Only the Emperor can judge me, but that has never stopped one of the Templars.

Tormagoden the Eviserator

By the Throne, I feel as if it will be my Emperor given duty to leash the beast that is Tormagoden. His genetic curse is a terrible weight to bear, but a boon in the right circumstances; I fear we will have few diplomatic missions ahead of us, as the Flesh Tearers are not ones to parley. Any such missions will likely see combat before half an hour has passed, unless someone can enrapture the mind of the berserker. Barrng, of course, it is a mission to deal with the eldar's cousins; I would make the fire in the berserker's heart into an uncontrollable blaze, as would be my duty against the dark eldar.

Brother Marvolo
Ah, another specialist. I would have imagined the entirety of our detachment would be tactical marines and assault marines, but it is good to see a tech-marine. Marvolo will have no concerns over my past, I am sure of it, and my augmentations will likely give us something to bond over; I am certain I will need him to repair and maintain them at some point.

Brother Odyerus
I do not understand the Marines Errant. My chapter has been devastated, and were I to seek a wealthy patron to bring myself to strength rather than taking to the Deathwatch as penance, I would be seen as a heretic, greedy for material wealth and power. To be hired by a Rogue Trader as an Astartes is absurdity, and should anyone be tested by the Inquisition for loyalty, it should be the Errants. It astounds me they are brothers to the Ultramarines. But, for all my bluster, I know what it is to be judged unfairly. I pray Odyerus shows spirit and spine worthy of his ancestory.

Sindri
The Space Wolf will have difficulty understanding me as who I am and what I do flies in the face of his chapter's doctrine, but it is a mercy that I will simply need to fight alongside him to prove my worth and my dedication to the Emperor.

Decius
Another Ultramarine successor, another who I might not look in the eye simply for their heritage, but.. the White Consuls are no sons of Ultramar. The White Consuls are praise worthy simply for their work in the Eye of Terror, but their chapter has not seen the loss the Ultramarines have, nor the loss my chapter has. We are brothers in arms, but he cannot know my pain.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 20, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794846 time to purge

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

General Notes and Observed Psychological/Personality Traits of Kill-Team "Purgation of Hope" 20OCT817.M41

Odyerus: Marines Errant, Damocles Gulf Veteran. Likely saw the limitations of the usual applications of the Codex Astartes when fighting the Tau. Seems to have an exceptional working relationship and rapport with the humans of the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Navy, suggests a Gregarious sort of Demeanour but cannot confirm as I have not interacted with him as much as I would have liked. Asset

Chaplain Gerharrt: Black Templar, decided to come to the Deathwatch after the Feast of Blades ritual the Imperial Fists and its successors practice. Pride comes before the fall of the warrior. But what happens when the warrior cannot be felled? Well he becomes a Chaplain of Astartes! Hate for Xenos is good and he recognizes the threat of the insidious Eldar in particular. Someone to take counsel with when I am too focused on destruction of the swarm. All Xenos must perish from the universe and this warrior can teach me a few ways to ensure they do. Asset.

Tormagoden the Eviscerator: Flesh Tearer and very good at living up to his chapter's namesake as well. I understand that those of the Blood Angels and its successors suffer from some sort of terrible affliction. Its been explained to me but I never really understood and I do not think I can ever fully understand the nature of the Black Rage. I know members of his chapter embrace savagery and brutality in everything they do and they will take extreme measures to bring worlds to compliance. And Tormagoden seems no different and barely focused on anything except the destruction of today's enemy. Normally this would be an Asset but I want Astartes who think in the Deathwatch, who understand the nature of the Xenos and why they must be purged. This one only wants to kill for the sake of killing. And that way lies damnation. Liability.

Forge Master Marvolo: Iron Hands, sees the true threat the Tyranids pose to the galaxy and why they must be annihilated before all the other species are brought to their end. Like all Iron Hands, showcases an obsession with bionic augmentation in all its forms. Very wise, very knowledgeable and our technological expert on the team. Asset.

Wolf Priest Sindri: Space Wolf or perhaps more appropriately, a warrior of the Rout. A Wolf Priest with no medical knowledge, this is concerning and we already have a Chaplain. He can track but I've yet to meet a Space Wolf who couldn't run down a Xenos for me in any condition. I've no clue why he's here, why he's joined, or what motivates him. Liability until he proves himself.

Decius: White Consul, looks like he heard the message too and answered the call. White Consuls are rarely seen in the Deathwatch, returning veterans are unheard of and this is a record. He honors the primarch and the Chapter in everything he does and I rarely have complaints of a Devastator who can hold the line at all costs. Asset.

The Black Shield: Unknown. Liability.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 20, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Vicissitude posted:

Marvolo

"Hmm, typically the suicidal boldness you expect from the greenskins. Still, bringing a cruiser into planetary atmosphere like that is out of the ordinary for them. All too often they just drop those internal asteroid transports they use onto a planet and whatever orks survive will charge out ready for battle. This Orkimedes must have some sort of plan if he's keeping the ship as a base of operations on the planet. That will make assaulting it more onerous, but nothing we cannot overcome."

The thought of disgracing the blessed equipment of the Astartes by interfacing with the perverted tech-abominations of the orks, as he'll no doubt be forced to do, angers Marvolo. But they have a job to do aboard that ship and it is their duty to the Emperor to see it done. There are many ugly jobs to do in this galaxy, but it's all for the greater good EMPEROR.

fixed your post there vic, got rid of some heresy

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

No, it's cool. It was "greater good", not "Greater Good". I'm grammatically in the clear.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, because the inquisition will let you slide on punctuation.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

John Dyne posted:

fixed your post there vic, got rid of some heresy

Vicissitude posted:

No, it's cool. It was "greater good", not "Greater Good". I'm grammatically in the clear.

Werix posted:

Yeah, because the inquisition will let you slide on punctuation.

*blam*

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So just to verify since the question came in to me in IRC last night, I am allowed to have two heavy weapons, like the HB and missile launcher, right?

I figured we could have multiple weapons within reason, and I think a HB, missile launcher, and my shotgun (and standard knife and pistol I guess) is reasonable. Like missile tube under the backpack, shotgun on side, HB in hands.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah so long as you can rationalize it I don't care. Carrying two or three different backpack fed weapons would be a different story, but so long as they're all single load go for it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

ill show u my single load :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Just so you guys know the layout I have in mind for this thing. You guys landed on the highest ridge at the back, before the main turrets; you're on the very top of the drat thing.

• Locked thread