Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Claremont also wrote Mystique and Destiny as a gay-coded relationship, which didn't have any of the usual negatives attached if I remember right.

That was barely barely coded by the end, it made Kitty and Magik look like the most platonic thing ever. In addition to them basically being Rogue's two moms (also biologically Nightcrawler's two moms until that got nixed by editorial).

It was also an incredibly healthy and loving relationship, Mystique is a loving evil person, but her relationship with Destiny was amazing. Like if Tony Soprano didn't cheat on his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Did he rate them low and the viewers whined or he rated them high and the viewers told him how wrong he is?

Low but for weird reasons. If you think it sucks then fine but iirc the reasons/opinions tended to come from left field and felt poorly examined. I feel the same way about his comics reviews, like he's often reviewing them in a way I find unhelpful, and comments would seem to often find either errors in the review or severe misreads.

Not like that matters now with the website-killing changes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

Did he rate them low and the viewers whined or he rated them high and the viewers told him how wrong he is?

If I'm remembering correctly the former, i think people felt he was being unfair to the show for not following how he thought it should go. But what the commentariat thought is lost in the depths of time thanks to the AV Club's move to Kinja.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just want to see Old Lace drat it!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Claremont didn't write X-Factor, that one' is someone else's fault.

What recent gay coded villains are you talking about? I'm not doubting you, just nothing springs to mind.

Oh I see where the confusion is, I meant gay coded villain where abandoned, you don't see them very often today. Hell, even Justin Hammer comes off as gay in some issues. You rarely see that today. I'm trying to think of a villain that's gay because that's evil.

But yea, Claremont probably had a healthy, for a guy in the 70s and 80s, view of same sex relationships, but he sure as hell had a lot of it, even if it was almost all textual.

Oh I remember why I had this though, because at first I thought Alexandra was going to have some kind of thing for Elektra, but it turned out to be more a matronly effection.

The only Deathnote things I've seen is the live action movies, and the first one was pretty decent, if a bit silly, but the second was all silly.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I've only seen the first two episodes of The Tick, but I went in with low expectations and had my face blown off. It's funny. It's really funny.

Also, what was the budget for this like? Some of the effects are a little cheap, but the fact that it has effects makes it feel more convincing than Defenders a lot of the time. Tick demonstrates super strength better in two episodes than Jessica Jones does in two whole series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Barry Convex posted:

None of these people are professional TV critics, so take this with a grain of salt, but Runaways seems to be getting decent reactions from people who've seen a screener of the first two episodes.

I heard some not-so-good things from a friend at Hulu, but hopefully that's just him.

You realise you're falling for influencer marketing, right? The people flown in by private jet and getting pampered for a day also had lots of positive things to say about The Dark Tower. Give people something special, and they will be more favourable to you, even without directly bribing them with a wad of cash in their free complementary bagel.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Decius posted:

You realise you're falling for influencer marketing, right? The people flown in by private jet and getting pampered for a day also had lots of positive things to say about The Dark Tower. Give people something special, and they will be more favourable to you, even without directly bribing them with a wad of cash in their free complementary bagel.

It's forums idiot Barry Convex.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He literally said take it with a grain of salt.

I like dunking on him as much as anyone, but he said the caveat he needed to.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Are we expecting the Runaways series to be bad for some reason? Why are some positive audience reactions to it some sort of tricksy industry trap?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Josh Schwartz is cool, and Chuck was a lot of fun. Regardless of your feelings about its later seasons (which I enjoyed, for the record), I think it's tonally a pretty good match for Runaways. I want to see just how flagrantly he ignores the MCU, considering Chuck barely paid attention to its own continuity.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Argue posted:

Josh Schwartz is cool, and Chuck was a lot of fun. Regardless of your feelings about its later seasons (which I enjoyed, for the record), I think it's tonally a pretty good match for Runaways. I want to see just how flagrantly he ignores the MCU, considering Chuck barely paid attention to its own continuity.

I mean, all of the Marvel TV shows flagrantly ignore the MCU for the most part.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, all of the Marvel TV shows flagrantly ignore the MCU for the most part.

Other way around mostly.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Dexo posted:

He literally said take it with a grain of salt.

I like dunking on him as much as anyone, but he said the caveat he needed to.

Influencer marketing is complete and utter bullshit. You don't take it with a grain of salt, you just don't take it at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand how we're so positive that good reviews are the result of influence marketing and not the show being good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've only seen the first two episodes of The Tick, but I went in with low expectations and had my face blown off. It's funny. It's really funny.

Serafinowicz is doing an amazing Adam West impression.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The Tick is very good. My only serious criticism of it is that there needs to be more of it right now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
According to Netflix, Jessica Jones was the most popular, IF the least

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My mind, it's blown :geno:

edit: okay, I might've thought DD would be the most popular, but I think IF was universally agreed upon as the weakest show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jessica Jones S1 is probably the one that falls apart the least in the last few episodes, so that makes sense to me.

E: Oh yeah, I finally got around to watching Defenders. It felt like a Daredevil/Iron Fist show that happened to have Jessica Jones and Luke Cage in it. The tone of it felt really at odds with JJ and most of Luke Cage and while there were some fun interactions between the protagonists, it just didn't feel as natural a convergence as something like Avengers. Criticize that movie all you like, everyone felt like they belonged to the same world, which I can't really say about Defenders. Also the fights weren't awful but there's nothing as memorable or interesting as any of the best Daredevil fight sequences.

Ultimately the Hand storyline, the Elektra storyline, and everyone's arcs seemed to suffer from having to be crammed in between all this crossover stuff. It feels like they had to do some major rewriting after people responded negatively to the Hand ninjas at the end of DDS2 and to whatever was going on in Iron Fist, so suddenly the Hand aren't exclusively ninjas anymore and "black sky"'s meaning is changed again and everything has to wrap up in a big hurry so Daredevil S3 can be about something that doesn't have ninjas in it.

I give it a solid :shrug:/5

Oh, I also watched Iron Fist. Everything that sucks about the show has already been said many times, but I wish Harold Meachum hadn't gone full villain and that the Meachums had been forced to operate as a family of psychotic backstabbing technically-protagonists who's secrets are all laid bare for season 2. But that's probably because the weird corporate drama of that family was the only thing that was compelling in that mess of a show, and because David Wenham is so charming.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 27, 2017

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aphrodite posted:

He basically preferred to review through a social justice lens. It'd make for valid interesting reading but he was reviewing like four shows and it was hitting the point where he didn't even discuss the plot of a given episode briefly, choosing instead of revisit topics of appropriation or problematic choices from previous episodes, seasons, and even other shows.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
From my own experience, girls who aren't big on superheroes still wanted to see Jessica Jones. My sister couldn't get into Daredevil, but I'm pretty sure she stuck with JJ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

From my own experience, girls who aren't big on superheroes still wanted to see Jessica Jones. My sister couldn't get into Daredevil, but I'm pretty sure she stuck with JJ.

Jessica Jones was pretty much the only Netflix show that said to itself "Hey, women exist too, maybe we should try and appeal to them as well." It's also easily the one with the least amount of dead weight in terms of episodes, and the only one that finished as strong as it started.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ritter's also probably the strongest lead actor, and Tennant's presence likely didn't hurt.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Ritter's also probably the strongest lead actor, and Tennant's presence likely didn't hurt.

I agree but Simone Missick continually stole all the scenes she was in for me. And obvs Kingpin and Cottonmouth if we're talking villains.

Seriously Misty Knight was just so good. I like Colleen but I really, really want to see this at some point:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 27, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Koalas March posted:

I agree but Simone Missick continually stole all the scenes she was in for me. And obvs Kingpin and Cottonmouth if we're talking villains.

Seriously Misty Knight was just so good. I like Colleen but I really, really want to see this at some point:

I feel like Missick, even if she's not THAT much older, comes off like she should be Jones' mother, not his girlfriend. That's as much to do with how immature Danny acts, though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
DD and Cage definitely fall off in the end (they should've just kept Cottonmouth), but I actually think Iron Fist is the most even. Or perhaps even actually improves towards the end. Jessica Jones loses me a bit in the middle, though I always defend that series by saying I appreciated it a lot more upon rewatching it.

That art is very nice, Koalas, what's it from?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

^^ It's from the Secret Love one-shot. I actually have the issue with the Misty/Danny variant cover. So I am pretty biased lol.

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Missick, even if she's not THAT much older, comes off like she should be Jones' mother, not his girlfriend. That's as much to do with how immature Danny acts, though.

Honestly I think her adultness and his childish would even each other out and be good for both of them. Like she can learn to chillax more and be playful and he can learn how to be a grown up from someone who isn't trying to use him.

ngl but Defenders totally ruined Colleen for me. That last fight scene was bad. Her motivations were everywhere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine that version of Misty Knight falling into bed with that version of Danny Rand.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Really not happy about Misty's new haircut in defenders, it made her look like she had a receding hairline.

Also I sort of had a moment where I feared the entire cast of Defenders might be younger than me and it made my joints hurt, but thankfully most of them just LOOK like they're in their late 20s.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine that version of Misty Knight falling into bed with that version of Danny Rand.

I honestly can't see them breaking up Claire and Luke without pissing a ton of people off, either.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
But I like Luke and Jessica together better!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Last Defenders episode really seemed like they were going to make Luke/Jessica a thing. I guess Claire might get tired of being a living target and break up with Luke? Who knows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Last Defenders episode really seemed like they were going to make Luke/Jessica a thing. I guess Claire might get tired of being a living target and break up with Luke? Who knows.

Or she gets killed off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Claire is coulson

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it definitely would have had a bump from Tennant's crazy supporters/tumblr wives.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Or she gets killed off.

you shut your filthy whore mouth right now before THEY HEAR YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The die is cast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Claire is coulson

She's reverse-Coulson. She'll die in Luke Cage S2 then reappear in Infinity War with zero explanation as to how she got there, then it'll take like 2 more movies before they totally half-rear end something.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

ToastyPotato posted:

Or she gets killed off.

I was shocked she didn't bite it by the end of Defenders I thought for sure that was the plan from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I was shocked she didn't bite it by the end of Defenders I thought for sure that was the plan from the beginning.

Me too, I was very surprised. Glad too, I like her, but still surprised.