Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Entropic posted:

Obviously there's been no culture of any significance for 400 years because Section 31 has been keeping everyone boring and subservient with drugs and mind control rays.

there is culture but from alien planets.

its funny when they list stuff and try to drop stuff in nonchalantly, like for example, music:

PICARD: The greats! Mozart, Beethoven, Mahlar, Queezin'gord'kkkk....

also the entire musical output in all of Klingon history is like 3 operas. lol i love trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My favorite thing is how every alien culture is completely monolithic. Like even the Klingons talk about "Klingon Blood Wine" with no reference to any specific region or vineyard or anything.

BRB gonna open a bottle of Human Grape Wine.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Someone needs to re-marathon DS9 as Bloodwine has specific vintages.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

shadow puppet of a posted:

Someone needs to re-marathon DS9 as Bloodwine has specific vintages.

They mention vintages but never anything else about it. Like particular years are supposed to be good but there's only one kind of bloodwine.

It's like if I said "Ahh yes, 2309 was a particularly good vintage of Earth Grape Wine!"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its probably because their is just one vineyard serving all of Quonos. With all the space requirements for pain-stick trenches and the endless shrines to Kahless, there is precious little space for agriculture. Also, do you not think that the Klingon equivalent of the first upstart grower of the California Syrah grape would not face immediate invasion and land-salting by the Klingon equivalent of House of Burgundy?

Entropic posted:

It's like if I said "Ahh yes, 2309 was a particularly good vintage of Earth Grape Wine!"

Weather control too. Terrior was the first casualty of the export of Risian weather control systems. Its Sunny and 72 degrees everywhere on the planet and we took all the mercury and strontium out of the soil. Earth Grape Wine is probably pretty accurate as you see the Voyager crew only replicating 20th century wines for good reason.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 29, 2015

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Martok is probably namedropping obscure gourmet artisanal bloodwine colonies but the universal translator just glosses over every stupid farming village with the word "Klingon" because it knows if you don't even speak the language then you don't care about that poo poo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Blood wine is just grape flavored four loko but with extra caffeine

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
computer engage automatic weeaboo filter

E:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Blood wine is just grape flavored four loko but with extra caffeine

shitttt

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Humans haven't been part of the galactic community long enough

in a few more hundred years there will be a single Terran culture

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Really it seems like everyone is just stereotyping each other. I mean humans all get presented like they are the same thing too, they are "EXPLORERS". Sure humans can be explorers, but they also be traders, craftsmen, fighters, or anything else you can think of. But anytime anyone asks about humans it's always "WE'RE EXPLORERS, WE LIKE TO EXPLORE AND MEET PEOPLE". You'd think no human ever bothered to do anything else.

It's just a bunch of lazy stereotyping by races who really don't give a gently caress what their neighbors care about and just want to apply easy labels.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Watching "The House of Quark" made me realize the parallels between Klingon society and the British Regency

Grilka's husband is ... in trade! The scandal! :monocle:

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
So is blood wine actually made from blood? Or is that just a branding thing

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

273423-X posted:

So is blood wine actually made from blood? Or is that just a branding thing

Just branding. It's actually made from the piss and cum of virile Klingon warriors.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
if you read the technical manual, klingons actually dont urinate. they have hyperactive pores that basically act as urine misters

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

opus111 posted:

also the entire musical output in all of Klingon history is like 3 operas. lol i love trek.

How could you possibly forget about Klingon Death Metal. For shame. :colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I had totally forgotten about Kahless until you guys reminded me about him.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
he's just a piece of poo poo clone with no soul dont mind him

which always pissed me off... how the gently caress does DNA retain a lifetime of memories? loving immersion ruined

#thanksgowron

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The DNA didn't have memories. The two Klingon grampa scientists made test tube Kahless watch a bunch of KVDs while he was incubating.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
kahless2 didn't just know stories about kahless, he thought he was kahless. he had memories of kahless being kahless, not just historical anecdotes that any scholar would have.

you're story's full of holes, shadow puppet :colbert:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kahless' memories of being Kahless were KVD extras and a small making-of featurette.

"We found a way to imprint specific information in your neuro-synaptic patterns, we gave you memories, and not just any memories but we gave you the experiences as written in the sacred texts"

Dwarf Kahless, upon hearing this suddenly understood why he first woke up surrounded by a bunch of BloodRedBox disc cases.

You've brought dishonor to the House of Shadow.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 29, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

muscles like this? posted:

Its this whole Catch 22 situation where they don't want to alienate the audience by introducing a bunch of future stuff but then it just makes the future look creatively bankrupt seeing as it has no culture of its own.

pretty sure it's less about alienating and more that if they try to come up with future-music people would just as quickly poo poo on it for being lame and hokey

opus111 posted:

there is culture but from alien planets.

its funny when they list stuff and try to drop stuff in nonchalantly, like for example, music:

PICARD: The greats! Mozart, Beethoven, Mahlar, Queezin'gord'kkkk....

if they didn't do the <alien thing> we'd be bitching about how history apparently ended in the late 20th century, and if they didn't do the <ren/20thC thing> half the audience would be instantly lost trying to figure out who this Queezin'gord'kkkk is and whether they'd missed him from earlier in the episode or something when they had to get up and take a piss.

Fetus Tree posted:

if you read the technical manual, klingons actually dont urinate. they have hyperactive pores that basically act as urine misters

don't even try to post like Kirk, you will never be on his level of fake trekposting

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Kahless' memories of being Kahless were KVD extras and a small making-of featurette.

"We found a way to imprint specific information in your neuro-synaptic patterns, we gave you memories, and not just any memories but we gave you the experiences as written in the sacred texts"

Dwarf Kahless, upon hearing this suddenly understood why he first woke up surrounded by a bunch of BloodRedBox disc cases.

You've brought dishonor to the House of Shadow.

YOU SPEAK LIES, BROTHER. THIS WILL NOT STAND

Today is a good day to comply.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

I love how the only thing anyone ever thinks of to do with the holodeck is recreate stuff that was in the public domain as of 1987.

they actually got in a little trouble with the first sherlock holmes episode they did because they assumed it had become public domain by 1988 and it hadn't

the original plan was to bring back moriarty for third season but they instead had to wait until paramount worked it out with the arthur conan doyle estate

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Shadow posted:

I'm totally the younger, sexier, Kurn of this house. Take your old rear end back to its almost-mother in law's place on Betazed and spend another shore leave polishing the sacred chalice of reeks for her in your silk pajamas.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pretty sure it's less about alienating and more that if they try to come up with future-music people would just as quickly poo poo on it for being lame and hokey

Both the Modal Nodes and the Max Rebo band are pretty metal, though. Nothin' like jizz-wailing.

Nothin' like it.

Shadow posted:

YOU'LL NOT FIND DEALS LIKE THIS WITH SUCH LOW INTEREST RATES ANYWHERE ELSE, BROTHER.

Today is a good day to buy.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

I'm totally the younger, sexier, Kurn of this house. Take your old rear end back to its almost-mother in law's place on Betazed and spend another shore leave polishing the sacred chalice of reeks for her in your silk pajamas.

wtf? im telling

mommmmmmmm :qq:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Probably for the best considering their attempts at depicting future civilian fashion made it look like everyone was involved in a tragic explosion at a carpet & wallpaper sample warehouse

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Is housing on Earth in TNGland just giant featureless blocks with each apartment being a holodeck? Because that sounds like a good way to keep one's life unencumbered with crap to take with you/put into storage while making redecorating the most relaxing thing in the world.

"House, I want a 60s dayglo pop art nightmare today, and a pre-revolutionary France palatial decor tomorrow, TIA."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Holodecks are supposed to be the latest technology in TNGland and require a massive power source (like a warp drive) to operate.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How do you become one of those waiters at 10 forward?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Hector Beerlioz posted:

flunk out of starfleet academy because you spent all your time hooking up with orion girls and smoking klingon affffgrakkkkkk (space weed)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hector Beerlioz posted:

You have to start out as an immortal being with the power to battle a Q, submit your resume online and then work your way up from there.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Holodecks are supposed to be the latest technology in TNGland and require a massive power source (like a warp drive) to operate.

Source this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

Source this.

the first episode where everyone is impressed by the holodeck (Picard 1:1)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sure, but planetside they've gotta have more power than a single warp core.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Sure, but planetside they've gotta have more power than a single warp core.

It is established that people get transporter credits on earth, it's reasonable that they get holodeck time credits as well

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Luigi Thirty posted:

It is established that people get transporter credits on earth, it's reasonable that they get holodeck time credits as well

Is this why someone would work as a waiter in space?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So its like money but you can only use it on one certain thing. In Roddenberry's utopian future one works for gift cards.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Luigi Thirty posted:

in the writers guide this is actually laid out as being due to trying to prevent long lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Broccoli probably joined starfleet so he could live in a holodeck 16 hours a day

• Locked thread