Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's no correlation between age of the mother and autism, but there sure as gently caress is with downs. it's very well documented.

what's the difference they're both sadbrains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

Scientastic posted:

Yes, parents immediately stop spending any money on themselves the moment they have children. I haven't bought myself anything in six years.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

i think i want kids but i also cant imagine being done with spending all my money on myself

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Shut up, Lena

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

myDad posted:

Shut up, Lena

Lick my butthole bitch :D

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Spinster posted:

Only have kids if you are totally totally sure. Stay conscious of the overwhelming propaganda and societal pressure to breed and make the right decision for you.

Amen.
Got no problem with kids or people having kids.
But god drat make sure you really want them.

So many people have them because "well that's what you do". Nah.
And then you say "Well we're not having kids" and it's a weird shock to many people or other couples you interact with.

And believe me, I'm not trying to say "wow be sensitive to people who don't want kids", I just mean that I didn't really expect that, after getting married I'd get as many odd looks from people my own generation who just genuinely are like "we've never considered this as an option for married people" and I roll in some fairly normal circles (ie not the "sex is for making more babies!" religious style weirdos type of thing).

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 22, 2017

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RocktheCaulk posted:

I’m pretty sure my infant is trying to kill me and I’m only 30, I think. I really am having trouble remembering because I haven’t slept in a year and a half.

I don’t remember much about years 1-2.5 although I am somewhat sure I did an ok job. Hold in there, eventually the sweet embrace of death will take you.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

imo this works out well because autistic children are our greatest resource

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
For the love of god, make sure you've gotten your own personal poo poo sorted out as best you can before taking the leap.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not a parent, so I could be talking out of my rear end, but I think college educated parents worry too much about trying to be superparents these days. The biggest thing is just not to be a lovely parent, and once you clear that bar and hit average I bet you get diminishing returns on your investment. Especially if you stay married and have two parents who at least kind of give a poo poo working together.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Don't do it if you have an interesting life of hobbies, sports, activities, travel, etc. Once you have a kid, that is all over. If you just sit around all day anyway, then yeah go ahead.

Marry a woman who is cool with traditional gender roles. Progressive women will bitch at you all day every day for not doing enough around the house/with the kid(s).

My wife and I decided to stop at 1 because it has been so challenging for us and our marriage. We love our daughter and want to provide a great life for her, and we won't be able to do that if we are spread too thin to maintain our sanity and love for one another.

Only children score higher on IQ tests and the SATs, and have higher incomes as adults. Siblings can be great, but a lot of it is rose-colored glasses looking back. Many sibling relationships during childhood are testy and combative, or even downright traumatizing and abusive.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Unless you have kids back to back, they probably won’t have much to relate about if they’re spread out in age.

My closest sibling is 7 years younger than me, so I was always 1-2 steps in life ahead of him, so we never really got along or could relate about anything.

Good job mom :thumbsup:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

proctorbot posted:

Don't do it if you have an interesting life of hobbies, sports, activities, travel, etc. Once you have a kid, that is all over. If you just sit around all day anyway, then yeah go ahead.

Marry a woman who is cool with traditional gender roles. Progressive women will bitch at you all day every day for not doing enough around the house/with the kid(s).

My wife and I decided to stop at 1 because it has been so challenging for us and our marriage. We love our daughter and want to provide a great life for her, and we won't be able to do that if we are spread too thin to maintain our sanity and love for one another.

Only children score higher on IQ tests and the SATs, and have higher incomes as adults. Siblings can be great, but a lot of it is rose-colored glasses looking back. Many sibling relationships during childhood are testy and combative, or even downright traumatizing and abusive.

How old is your daughter? I want my wife to come to your conclusion but I think she doesn't find parenthood as draining and limiting as I do.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

proctorbot posted:

lol, what is this poo poo? We've literally traveled Europe and Asia with our kids every summer since birth. What the hell is wrong with you that you think people haven't been having a blast with their kids since the beginning of time?

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Spinster posted:

Only have kids if you are totally totally sure. Stay conscious of the overwhelming propaganda and societal pressure to breed and make the right decision for you.

I've hosed up everything in my life and will likely die alone but I still have no regrets at all about not having kids, it's the one thing I did right.

And yes after 40 chances of birth defects etc do go up.

Its always a relief to read posts like this, plus my parents can't give me poo poo because all their other children gave them grandkids. Of course I am the only child from their union so I still feel a little bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

proctorbot posted:

SAT scores lmao. are you still in highschool. is she one of those teachers who hosed top of her middle school geometry class.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

lol, what is this poo poo? We've literally traveled Europe and Asia with our kids every summer since birth. What the hell is wrong with you that you think people haven't been having a blast with their kids since the beginning of time?

they're lazy and they're whiners :ssh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*computer janitor that never moved or did anything interesting before in his life*: waaahhh now that i have kids i don't have any fun!!!!!! :qq:

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

spacetoaster posted:

Well, travel, sure. I no longer have time to train for marathons and triathalons, or study new languages, or practice new instruments with enough regularly to become proficient, or work on side projects. Instead it's work -> dinner -> play time -> bath time -> story time -> bedtime -> speak to my wife for about 10 minutes -> pass out from exhaustion. Then do it again. Sure it's rewarding in a lot of ways but dont pretend their aren't sacrifices.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

proctorbot posted:

Your sound pretty unhappy and insecure tbh.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

proctorbot posted:

Of all the poo poo you said, this is the most ridiculous. Just share the loving chores with someone you married as an equal, you Neanderthal gently caress. Do you want your daughter to be in a "traditional gender role" cleaning up after some lazy toad who thinks his wife should be a servant?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

proctorbot posted:

*Bellowing into bullhorn* retarded loving loser

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
i got married on my 29th birthday and it was a good decision so far

she's middle class and I married up

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

lol if you don't want to release your soul from the wheel of dharma and cease to exist on this gay earth

I know a guy who said he could have me reincarnated as a chad. That sounds p.sweet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I know a guy who said he could have me reincarnated as a chad. That sounds p.sweet

For every nice guy, there is an even more pathetic nice guy to whom you are his Chad. Think about it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

For every nice guy, there is an even more pathetic nice guy to whom you are his Chad. Think about it.

That’s true, I don’t wanna get ripped off

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

proctorbot posted:

Well, travel, sure. I no longer have time to train for marathons and triathalons, or study new languages, or practice new instruments with enough regularly to become proficient, or work on side projects. Instead it's work -> dinner -> play time -> bath time -> story time -> bedtime -> speak to my wife for about 10 minutes -> pass out from exhaustion. Then do it again. Sure it's rewarding in a lot of ways but dont pretend their aren't sacrifices.

Were you really doing all that poo poo before your daughter?

It just seems somewhat hard to believe that you were leading this amazing, self-actualizing life where your schedule was work -> dinner -> study new language -> train for marathon -> practice oboe -> work on side projects -> make sweet love to wife until dawn.

How old is your daughter, by the way? I would think many of those activities will come back into your life once she's a little older, if you want them to.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Little kids cheering on their parents at the end of a half marathon (or whatever) is the cutest thing in the world to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't ever want to be a parent, but I'm pretty bummed that I don't think I'll ever be an uncle either since that seems like a good way to get a lot of the fun parts without having to change diapers or sacrifice your whole life to taking care of another human being. On the other hand, middle aged dating is full of single moms, so I guess I'll have to endure more lovely kids than my brother could ever produce anyway.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

proctorbot posted:

Ok, I guess marathon training would take a hit, but I still lift weights an hour a day with no problem. Most gyms have child care just for parent who want to work out.

Studying new languages is even better with kids because you do a joint program. I'm doing Latin right now with my kids and will follow it up with Greek.

And I involve my kids in my projects (changing the oil in the car, painting bathroom, etc).

I see my kids as an opportunity to do all kinds of cool stuff and learn new things (and turn them into really cool people who will do cool things). But you're probably more melancholic and I'm sanguine.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

trolling AI: I WOULD PREFER TO HAVE KIDS... BUT UNFORTUNATELY <BEEP> THERE ARE NO GOOD MEN LEFT.
goons: There's plenty of good men left like me for instance! gaaAAAAAAAHHHH! *dies of heart of attack*

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I guess marathon training would take a hit, but I still lift weights an hour a day with no problem. Most gyms have child care just for parent who want to work out.

Studying new languages is even better with kids because you do a joint program. I'm doing Latin right now with my kids and will follow it up with Greek.

And I involve my kids in my projects (changing the oil in the car, painting bathroom, etc).

I see my kids as an opportunity to do all kinds of cool stuff and learn new things (and turn them into really cool people who will do cool things). But you're probably more melancholic and I'm sanguine.

This seems like a healthy attitude.

Our grocery store has on site child care, and I'm pretty sure the Ikea does as well. I doubt they're equipped to handle a new born, but one would imagine offering child care would be a great service to offer and give parents a reason to go to your place instead of a competitor.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i sure hope so op because i STILL haven't met anyone worthy of me

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I doubt they're equipped to handle a new born,

With a newborn you're only dealing with that for 12 months, tops.

By two my kids were potty trained and could get their own cup of water (that's the reason behind a lot of interruptions).

You just have to be willing to spend the extra time and effort early on to teach them things.

The worst attitude (in my opinion) is to just do everything for your kid because it's faster and less hassle (for now).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lol just lol if you aren't berthing fully literate and ambulatory youths straight out of you or your partners womb pipe. Just. loving. Lol.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
first born at 23 last born at 29, sorry about getting your rear end kicked up and down the street chasing a 3yr old when you're pushing 50 and i'm chillin w/ kids in college or whatever

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if i make it that far

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Daddies in this thread, how come you got kids? Did you suddenly feel an urge to become a father? To foster a child? How did it happen?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

Daddies in this thread, how come you got kids? Did you suddenly feel an urge to become a father? To foster a child? How did it happen?

having kids owns and is a lot better than aimlessly drinking myself to death

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Careful Drums posted:

first born at 23 last born at 29, sorry about getting your rear end kicked up and down the street chasing a 3yr old when you're pushing 50 and i'm chillin w/ kids in college or whatever

Yeah, in retrospect starting earlier would have taken some of the pressure off but we had a house and good jobs before our daughter came, which was good. And my folks were retired by the time we did, so they could move out to where we live to help, which wouldn't have been possible earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fartbox posted:

I want the kind of relationship my parents share with me, it's really pretty simple. I want to talk to my daughter about life and hear her opinions on things, share a drink with her, cheer her on in her activities, all that. Have her visit over holidays once she's moved out. None of which is possible without having a kid.

• Locked thread