Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

sportsgenius86 posted:

As an OSU fan, I completely expect that they will run the table and then JT Barrett will throw like 6 interceptions in the national semifinal.

Obviously its horrible losing the best player in the Big Ten but I guess a silver lining is that Barrett and Jones have taken all the first team reps so far in camp. Both Urbz and Herman have been praising Barrett since before the injury. I mean besides Michigan State our toughest games are out of conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

vyst posted:

God dammit I like this. I can't explain why.

It's a cool design. The ND in the middle spoils it, though.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

vyst posted:

God dammit I like this. I can't explain why.

do you like Affliction

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

the Notre Dame Fighting Joffreys

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

lamentable dustman posted:

Braxton still a hurtin' buckaroo?

I just wanna watch it over and over again.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Hype Video for WVU vs Bama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAqiwK0OQZY

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Thoguh posted:

I stand by my dream season for WVU being for you guys to beat the poo poo out of Alabama and then lose 11 straight.

This would be magical.

I want the same thing for Virginia Tech against OSU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For reference, this is where the pattern for that Notre Dame base layer comes from. The floor of the golden dome:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

As an OSU fan, I completely expect that they will run the table and then JT Barrett will throw like 6 interceptions in the national semifinal.

Pretty much this. This is the best WR group OSU has had since that ridiculous WR/ stable of Holmes/Ginn/Gonzalez/Robiskie/Hartline a few years back, and the RB stable isn't too far off of that. We've played without Braxton before. It's gonna be uglier, but Barrett is basically known for his deep touch and short accuracy, and we know he's mobile enough to run in the offense and make plays. That's enough to run the offense that Braxton has been running the past two years, and it's more than even Guiton's noodle arm was giving us last year.

Barrett and Jones have taken all the 1st team reps since spring anyways. We have too much skill at RB and WR to lose to a reloading Sparty this year. And unless VT has the depth to play 4 quarters when we rotate 4 backs and linemen like crazy, that's not going to scare me either. That said, I anticipate we get curbstomped by Bama or FSU then in the semifinal because we play like 2 good defenses all year.

sportsgenius86 posted:

The person with the most to gain from this Braxton thing is Chris Ash because if that defense is competent enough after the abortion we saw last year, that dude is in for a major, major payday.

This is the other reason I'm unconcerned. The defense is fixing the scheme this year and looks a lot faster and more disciplined in practice. The last time we pressed this much was the early Tressel defenses which were good precisely because they used a more aggressive coverage scheme like this. If the pass defense improves even to the top half of pass Ds this year, no one is coming near us in the regular season.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'd bother to research the win/loss record of freshman QBs against Bud Foster defenses in September, but I know what I'd find.

:getin:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

Pretty much this. This is the best WR group OSU has had since that ridiculous WR/ stable of Holmes/Ginn/Gonzalez/Robiskie/Hartline a few years back, and the RB stable isn't too far off of that. We've played without Braxton before. It's gonna be uglier, but Barrett is basically known for his deep touch and short accuracy, and we know he's mobile enough to run in the offense and make plays. That's enough to run the offense that Braxton has been running the past two years, and it's more than even Guiton's noodle arm was giving us last year.

Barrett and Jones have taken all the 1st team reps since spring anyways. We have too much skill at RB and WR to lose to a reloading Sparty this year. And unless VT has the depth to play 4 quarters when we rotate 4 backs and linemen like crazy, that's not going to scare me either. That said, I anticipate we get curbstomped by Bama or FSU then in the semifinal because we play like 2 good defenses all year.

This is the other reason I'm unconcerned. The defense is fixing the scheme this year and looks a lot faster and more disciplined in practice. The last time we pressed this much was the early Tressel defenses which were good precisely because they used a more aggressive coverage scheme like this. If the pass defense improves even to the top half of pass Ds this year, no one is coming near us in the regular season.

I'm more concerned about the OL than even Barrett at this point. I think the talent is enough at the skill positions that Barrett can succeed simply by not loving up. The OL is where things get shaky. So far it's Decker-???-???-Elflein-Baldwin. Decker and Elflein are no worry. Baldwin is somewhat of an unknown but the word in camp on him has been really strong. Chad Lindsay seems like a lock at center assuming he gets over the injury issues.

The big, big question is Left Guard. Antonio Underwood seems to have greatly underwhelmed the staff, so much so that he's fallen behind two DL converts. Warriner can't stop gushing about Billy Price so my guess is he gets it, but that's going to be the weak spot for sure.

The change in QB now has me wondering about the makeup of the line. I don't know how things shook out last year with the backups but if Barrett has any kind of established rapport with Boren, I could see them maybe trying Lindsay at LG and Boren at C.

I think Barrett is going to be serviceable but it won't matter if the line is poo poo. The fact that we're this close to the start of the season and two positions are still pretty open isn't a good sign to me.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Basically all the booster dudes that get to watch the fall camp scrimmages are coming back from them saying that Sims looks better than Coker.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

wootmachine posted:

Basically all the booster dudes that get to watch the fall camp scrimmages are coming back from them saying that Sims looks better than Coker.

Heard that a few days ago. Huge red flag or pleasant surprise?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Everyone that doesn't know what they're talking about thinks Sims is garbage because Saban has only used him to run out the clock against Chattanooga with 3rd stringers around him. Personally I think there's a reason he was trusted as the backup and not one of the 5 other quarterbacks we had last year.

Also the idea of Alabama having a quarterback that can actually run, like really run, should be terrifying to everyone. Even if Coker takes the reins after a few games expect Alabama to like, develop the loving wishbone as a secret weapon or something like that.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The fsu people keeping up with Coker that Coker's been getting his balls batted down, is late delivering the ball, and has been overthrowing, badly, short routes. Note that he's 6'6. He's not quite a hot mess but he's still playing like a frazzled back up.

they say Sims isn't great but he's not nearly as inconsistent as Coker has been. Which is kinda all you need for Bama right now

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Honestly I preferred Sims for his wider toolset from the beginning, the only limiting thing is that he's only six feet tall compared to Coker who is a giant. Then again, so was Manziel, and Sims is a loving beastly athlete so who knows where he could go.

It also helps that the entire team loves Blake.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Raku posted:

This is exactly what I'm expecting, but with an extra thread of people wondering why Blake Sims starts instead of Coker and my dad telling me it's because everything is too politically correct

roll tide

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

TBH, a win for us would be coming out looking remotely competent and forcing Saban to play starters deep into the 4th.

An interesting matchup will be WVU's defense vs Bama's offensive line. If I recall correctly, the offensive line is being somewhat rebuilt. Combine a young unit with a QB (be it Sims or Coker) who doesn't have big game experience, and WVU might be able to take advantage. I have no idea, I could see this game being close early and then Bama taking over late in the 3rd quarter. Bama's defense will be good and they are returning a ton of starters from last year's team. If it's a situation where Bama's offense is completely sputtering, Bama's defense is good enough to carry them through.

I could see it being maybe a 35-28 or 35-21 final score. A good win, and just enough to make the fanbase flip out and proclaim that it's the end of the world.

As for Auburn-Arkansas, I expect Bielema to pull out all the stops. Arkansas should be a much-improved team, so I think this one will be pretty close. Arkansas returns a lot of starters from last year's team and has a good stable of RBs and a chip on their shoulder because they want to redeem themselves for last year (completely understandable). Auburn lost a few key contributors to the draft and graduation, and there are some guys like Kozan and Lawson who will miss significant playing time due to injury. The defense is banged up. I've circled this and @Kansas State as games that will set the tone for this season. If Auburn can start 3-0 (which would be difficult, but not impossible) that will say a lot.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT's still losing that game but it's going to be a lot closer. A brand new QB against that secondary spells a whole lot of trouble.

If VT had the front 7 from last year you could almost get a little hopeful but OSU will still be able to run the ball enough to get some points and win the game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

VT's still losing that game but it's going to be a lot closer. A brand new QB against that secondary spells a whole lot of trouble.

If VT had the front 7 from last year you could almost get a little hopeful but OSU will still be able to run the ball enough to get some points and win the game.

Also, that stadium is going to be loud as gently caress and Va Tech's offensive playbook is basically a series of diagramed Benny Hill skits

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Is West Virginia's defense better in the front, or with the secondary? Because while QB is almost assuredly going to be down at Bama this year and I'm not sure about the O-line, the running backs and wide receiver corps are essentially war crimes.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
When that WVU-Bama game goes down I will be in the air on my way to chill in the Caribbean. Please, WVU, make me question that decision.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Raku posted:

Is West Virginia's defense better in the front, or with the secondary? Because while QB is almost assuredly going to be down at Bama this year and I'm not sure about the O-line, the running backs and wide receiver corps are essentially war crimes.

I don't disagree about the talent at WR and RB, but if Bama gets one-dimensional and can't get good pass protection or good QB play that could be bad news. I mean, I doubt that their offense will be a complete train wreck a la Auburn 2012, but a lot of things still remain to be seen.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, that stadium is going to be loud as gently caress and Va Tech's offensive playbook is basically a series of diagramed Benny Hill skits

Eh it's been a few years since that was true. The latter part I mean, can't speak to the former.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raku posted:

Our secondary is going to be a lot, lot better than it's been in ages. We're shifting away from the 3-4 and back to the 3-3-5 that we were very good with during the RichRod and Stewart years. The D-Line will be mostly rebuilt while the secondary and linebackers are mostly returning starters. We played pretty good defense early in the season before having a bunch of injuries.

The defense will also be a lot better if the offense can move the ball... at all.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

OSU has four new O linemen and a stable of touted but unproven RBs. I feel like the game vs VT is a tossup at best without Miller and this season is going to be a lot closer to 2011 or 2004 than OSU fans are willing to admit.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I think if WVU can move the ball, at all, and put together some drives we can make it interesting for a while. If the Oline can't protect for Tricket and open holes for our bevy of good backs, then it will be a laugher.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

OSU has four new O linemen and a stable of touted but unproven RBs.

Then yea, maybe really close for 3 quarters or so. The front 7's inexperienced but not bad. The secondary is probably the best in the country.

I in no way see a VT win but I've come to the point with these types of games where as long as they don't embarrass themselves and lose by 35 I'm OK.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Then yea, maybe really close for 3 quarters or so. The front 7's inexperienced but not bad. The secondary is probably the best in the country.

I in no way see a VT win but I've come to the point with these types of games where as long as they don't embarrass themselves and lose by 35 I'm OK.

When was the last time VT won a big early season game? I am not trying to be snarky, I legit cannot remember.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

VT has a real shot at it but they'll need a defensive/ST score or two IMO

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

When was the last time VT won a big early season game? I am not trying to be snarky, I legit cannot remember.

the game that was the only loss on WVU's schedule that one year is the only thing I can think of but that was more mid-season wasn't it?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Nebraska in 2009 I guess? I mean, depending on how big you're thinking.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 19, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

the game that was the only loss on WVU's schedule that one year is the only thing I can think of but that was more mid-season wasn't it?

they were a favorite (by a mile) going into that: http://wvustats.com/football/game/1169

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Ohio State can win as many games as they like as long as they lose to Navy in week one.

gently caress Navy and gently caress OSU

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I'm on the pleasant surprise side with a teaspoon of concern. I'm sure he's improved and grown in the system since the spring. A lot of people's view of him is tainted by super conservative mop-up duty and the kind of vanilla garbage plans coaches use for spring games. At first glance, our first 3 games are glorified scrimmages and the job will probably be decided the week before Florida.

Rooting for whatever pisses off both the "Bama will never have a black QB because they're racist and I forgot about Andrew Zow" and "Why y'all lettin' that RB take snaps" crews.

wootmachine fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 19, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

wootmachine posted:

I'm on the pleasant surprise side with a teaspoon of concern. I'm sure he's improved and grown in the system since the spring. A lot of people's view of him is tainted by super conservative mop-up duty and the kind of vanilla garbage plans coaches use for spring games. At first glance, our first 3 games are glorified scrimmages and the job will probably be decided the week before Florida.

You have no idea how badly I want us to just boatrace your asses.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You have no idea how badly I want us to just boatrace your asses.

Have fun being Lane Kiffin's first victim.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raku posted:

Mmm, haha.

You have no idea how delicious those tears would be.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raku posted:

Tennessee and USC aren't 1 and 2?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Tennessee and USC aren't 1 and 2?

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Would Knoxville forgive kiffin if he bumbled Alabama out of playoff contention?

• Locked thread