Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

Thank you. I haven't noticed any yet but I will search around...

They don't really stick out, to be honest. Try busting up any gray boxes you see lying around, that's usually where health kits are hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

I'm fairly new to this game and it seems cool. I went to the east and am down fighting some plant explosive things (after fighting 3 big ones) and then all these cat gunners and attackers are getting me. That's not really the problem, though. I keep reviving with 1 health. Where do I get more health? Actually I know where... how do I loving "GIT MUNNY"?

Pro Tip about the big plant monsters that kept me from taking damage right before finishing them off constantly.

Big Plants seem to have invincibility frames on their entire attack animation (Or at least, My shots and sword slashes just pass through them).

Similarly, the Ninja Frogs CAN be hurt, but they don't flinch on hit. And realizing this cut out most of the damage I was taking from them trying to finish them off before they could attack like rifle dude (Since rifle dudes do flinch, so are just hosed if you make it to melee range before they fire).

Also, remember you have a handgun. Finally realizing "Oh right, I have a GUN!" made life so much better when it came to enemies with more than 3 health (Such as the big plant monsters). Or thinning out a crowd of 2 health ranged enemies.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Do the health pickups eventually respawn? Are they random or in fixed locations?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Elderbean posted:

Do the health pickups eventually respawn? Are they random or in fixed locations?

Yes, and fixed locations. North has a bunch of easy ones not far from the entrance from town.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They respawn when you warp in and out of the area.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try to remember that this games whole gimmick is that everything is hidden in some way. Moving through an area and merely glancing around is never good enough

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

East and West areas down on NG+, those tiny crystal spider things are by far the worst thing in the game, along with the crystal spike traps.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The crystal hallways behind the 8 node door in West had me crying and shaking.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Game finished in around 7 hours. It would have been sooner but I spent about 30 minutes on the last boss because I was being really stupid and not baiting out one of the attacks that swept the room.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what exactly the story was about. The closest I've gotten at this point is as follows (major spoilers... I guess?): we're dying, and we're having these visions of a diamond, maybe we think it's a cure. So we go around killing hostile aliens and powering up the platform in the city to get down to the diamond. But it's not a cure, it's a monster, that we've also been having dreams about. Killing the monster destroys the diamond, which blows up the facility it's in, which depowers... whatever that thing in the sky was. Then we die, because there was never a cure. And I guess the Dog has something to do with this? He wanted us to destroy the diamond for some reason? Also, if I just blew up a giant facility underneath the town isn't that pretty bad news for all the people living up there?

I'm hoping there's more to it then that because that seems awfully thin. What story there was, was presented well, but it just kind of runs out by the end.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think the story was ever supposed to be particularly deep.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
There are a bunch of overlong reddit essays that try to figure out the story with mixed results. The most conclusive thing that made sense to me was that the dog is some kind of god and the diamond was created to take some of its power, but ended up being evil. The dog is reaching out to drifters like you to destroy the diamond, while the diamond is trying to kill the drifters through illness first.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would argue that the protaginist is an unreliable narrator since he frequently passes out and has crazy schizophrenic visions before dying alone, continuing to partially hallucinate stuff.

Therefor, pretty much everything is just distraction from the plot to make it seem better

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I subscribe to the theory that the Drifter was killed by the final boss and remained dead while the world was getting hosed up and the Anubis dog resurrects him. The opening cinematic highly suggests that.

The drunkard in town seems to be the last blue person (besides the Drifter) since the war with the Western cat people and the game suggests the blue people were the aggressors and creators of the robots and titans in the South region because of all the tech you see in the Western lands and would probably explain why he gets the poo poo beat out of him as everyone pretty much hates him.

The bird people of the North fits the explanation from the one sane bird person in the region from his/her story where the cult is created and sacrifice themselves for power. I want to believe the living cloak of the boss was the progenitor of the cult by mind controlling the bird leader.

I'm not 100% sure why the frog people turned super aggressive and wiped out the otters. The intro drifter's story just shows the single panel of the frog boss and that's it. There's a former otter prisoner in the zone but I forgot his panels. RIP otter people.

The southern region. I want to believe the blue people lived there and created all of the robots, technology, titans (evidenced by the jarred up titan body parts in some of the underground areas) and the diamond cell(?) that ended up being sentient, took control of the titans and created/became the final boss.

Theories!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Game looks pretty neat, I'm digging the atmosphere. Beat the north area boss (took me well over 10 attempts), although I haven't opened the locked door in the early part of the north region. Any hints for that one?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I wish most of these fights weren't just swarms of enemies.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm not 100% sure why the frog people turned super aggressive and wiped out the otters. The intro drifter's story just shows the single panel of the frog boss and that's it. There's a former otter prisoner in the zone but I forgot his panels. RIP otter people.

Theories!

My theory on that one is that the frogs got mutated somehow, probably by the remains of the titan in the water and turned violent. Their boss certainly looks heavily mutated.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Every zone has fallen prey to some kind of disaster, I figured the frogs were just a straight-up invading force that decided to clear out the otters violently as possible. The birds just fell under the sway of the Hierophant (which the Steam card called a "false prophet," so it was probably just an upjumped dictator), while the West and South fell prey to the crystals and the haywire robot factories.

That pink ooze seems to be the center of all the trouble - it even ticks like a Geiger counter whenever you're close to it - and the diamond is its source, so shattering it probably removes the sickness from the land. I got the impression it was seducing the Drifter with the visions, making him believe it would be the cure to his illness, only so he'd unseal it and let it run amok more freely instead of being confined to the old civilization. The jackal is a remnant of the civilization destroyed by whatever disaster planted the diamond and wants the diamond broken, and while they're working at cross purposes, we never really have reason to believe that until the end. Shattering the diamond doesn't seem to do much harm (the city's lights stay on) but the region should now be relatively cleansed of evil. The Drifter is doomed, but them's the breaks.

It's not a very cohesive plot but it did its job in the moment.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 9, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
cool game, couldn't stop playing it til i beat it! i think the boss that took me the most tries was the west one

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Beat the game on NG+, it ended up being lots of fun, not sure if I would do it again though. Even on NG+ the South boss was way too easy, which is a shame since it's supposed to be the penultimate fight

Spoilers! Here's Spoilers! my fight with the last boss if anyone is interested.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Demicol posted:

Beat the game on NG+, it ended up being lots of fun, not sure if I would do it again though. Even on NG+ the South boss was way too easy, which is a shame since it's supposed to be the penultimate fight

The South boss is just one of a set of three, though. I think they all should have gone Voltron on you at the end, would have been rad.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The three southern bosses did feel a lot easier than the first three... Not sure if that was due to having almost all the upgrades or just familiarity with the combat by that point though.

Despite being easier I did think they were still more fun.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

There are four southern bosses.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
local glyph of collectibles is obviously a d-pad

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Cool game imo. I like the art a lot!!! Got really frustrating at times... the game definitely isn't perfect but it's got me really interested to see what they'll put out next. Cool art imo.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

whalestory posted:

it's got me really interested to see what they'll put out next.

I got bad news for you

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

whalestory posted:

Cool game imo. I like the art a lot!!! Got really frustrating at times... the game definitely isn't perfect but it's got me really interested to see what they'll put out next. Cool art imo.

This is funny in darkest way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stop being so coy, have the devs split up or something? I can't see anything on their kickstarter page or google

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The lead dev has some serious heart issues, thus the name of the studio and also the reason why your character is terminally ill. It's also why the game was delayed so many years and why we won't be seeing another.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

The lead dev has some serious heart issues, thus the name of the studio and also the reason why your character is terminally ill. It's also why the game was delayed so many years and why we won't be seeing another.

Jesus.

Well, I guess if you're only ever going to be remember for one game, you could do worse than Hyper Light Drifter.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean, we could be wrong. Maybe he'll go for a second game after all, but it's been presented as his one big project. If there is a follow up it will take a similarly long time though, as he's in and out of hospitals regularly and that will always be a hinderance to production schedules.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Bugblatter posted:

amazing

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The South boss is just one of a set of three, though. I think they all should have gone Voltron on you at the end, would have been rad.

I never though about that, I guess the South area having 4 bosses kinda makes up for it. The only one that gave me trouble was the scythe guy until I learned the tells on which attack he was going for, but the rest were lots of fun.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
You know, i think that was part of what i appreciated about the game. Maybe i'm just reading too much into it, but i'd backed it and i remembered him being fairly clear about parts of the game being metaphorical to his condition. So given that, what does the game - not the story, but the mechanics, the game itself - say?

-Sometimes, what you have now is all you'll ever get. Make the best of it, your limits are further than you think. You might still do great things.
-Look for opportunities in the world. They may not be as far out of reach as they first seem.
-Persevere until the end, even if the road is hard.
-Shotgun? Shotgun! Shotgun, Shotgun, Shotgun.

Inspirational life lessons for us all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished the game over the weekend. Had a blast overall. The final boss was pretty cool, really atmospheric, but gently caress that fire breath attack. More than any other boss I felt like the final boss rewarded all-out aggression on my part. Trying to play it safe just led to me loving up my positioning often enough to get punished hard by the fire breath. Staying close and aggressive kept me much safer.

Good game. Probably won't do NG+, because there's no way I'm good enough to make it through with 2 max health, but I'll probably load up my pre-final boss save and go secret-hunting sometime.

Bugblatter posted:

Well that's a huge bummer, I didn't know that :smith:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I didn't really get all of the plot beats, which is frustrating, because there was a lot of cool as gently caress imagery.

From the opening thing - the world was getting jacked up by rampaging techno-giants. The Drifter Guy was trying to fight them. He was trying to reach the Doom Diamond, but was ill or cursed by the Spiky Black poo poo, and he succumbed to it before he could reach the Doom Diamond.

Then, the triangles in the sky aligned, and the Doom Diamond made a huge fuckin explosion.

A whole lot of corpses in the world look like people just suddenly died in the middle of doing other stuff. Aside from the western techno-giant who may have gotten shot up by a ton of cannons, it looks like the northern and eastern giants also just dropped dead from no obvious trauma.

My guess is that the Doom Diamond was created with the intent of being a giant-killer super-weapon, but something went wrong with it, and it ended up being an everything-killer. It might have been possessed by a techno-demon, or it might have been a skynet-like defense system that became self-aware and decided to kill everybody instead of just its targets. The Drifter was also exposed to, and tainted by, the same evil spirit/nanomachines. He knew it would go rogue and gently caress up everybody instead of just the giants, and tried to stop it, but narrowly failed and died.

Many many many years later, he gets re-animated, but the Spiky Black Stuff is still alive too. The Anubis-looking dog is trying to guide him toward the Doom Diamond. Based on his image on the door, Anubis may have made the Doom Diamond in the first place, or it might have been made in his name, but because he's trying to shut it down, he's probably not responsible for the Spiky Black Stuff that tainted it. Because of the Pink Helmet Drifter, and the many other fresher-than-most dead drifter lookin guys in adventurous places, it looks like your guy is most recent in a long line of drifters picked out by Anubis and sent to go shut down the Doom Diamond. The Spiky Black stuff seems to be aware of your intentions and consciously trying to stop you, both with a wasting blood-coughing illness, and with nightmare hallucinations of being brutally murdered.

The frog people, who are huge assholes, might just be post-apocalyptic assholes for normal reasons.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
What's up with the cat samurais? They used a cannon to kill a giant, but then got trapped in crystal? But then they just pop out whenever, ready to fight? Are they like crystal zombies?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
The gently caress is up with the ticking clock sound? It started for me at some point while exploring the Western area, and then, even when I killed the boss and ported back to the town, it persisted. I had to quit out of the game to get it to stop. What the hell?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

minya posted:

The gently caress is up with the ticking clock sound? It started for me at some point while exploring the Western area, and then, even when I killed the boss and ported back to the town, it persisted. I had to quit out of the game to get it to stop. What the hell?

A certain enemy makes that sound as a warning, because they can gently caress you up in a hurry. There's a rare audio bug with their sound persisting after you kill them or leave their zone. Until the dev finally tracks it down, restarting is the correct way to get rid of it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Backers just got the soundtrack, but instead of a Steam key, we got a link to Bandcamp which still seems to be using Hayes 300 baud modems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wow, love the miniboss out of nowhere in the south quadrant. I was getting my rear end kicked over and over until I realized if you can destroy all his little turrets he's basically helpless.

• Locked thread