Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

She's probably pretty mad at Ailes for siding with Trump over her.

Could be cause for some introspection about her role and influen-ahahahahaha I can't finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

New FoxNews poll.

Hahahahhahahahhahah

This is very encouraging , because as long as Trump maintains a lead in the polls he get's to be in the Debates, which is wonderful. When's the next Debate it's early September correct?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

This is very encouraging , because as long as Trump maintains a lead in the polls he get's to be in the Debates, which is wonderful. When's the next Debate it's early September correct?

September 18 and it's the same format as the Fox debate with the top ten in the Varsity debate and the anyone pulling one percent in the JV debate.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

September 18 and it's the same format as the Fox debate with the top ten in the Varsity debate and the anyone pulling one percent in the JV debate.

So when do they start playing musical chairs?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/17/us/politics/obama-administration-warns-beijing-about-agents-operating-in-us.html

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has delivered a warning to Beijing about the presence of Chinese government agents operating secretly in the United States to pressure prominent expatriates — some wanted in China on charges of corruption — to return home immediately, according to American officials.

The American officials said that Chinese law enforcement agents covertly in this country are part of Beijing’s global campaign to hunt down and repatriate Chinese fugitives and, in some cases, recover allegedly ill-gotten gains.

The Chinese government has officially named the effort Operation Fox Hunt.

China pretty much ignores other countries sovereignty when it comes to its warped, primitive law enforcement, and Austrlia and UK are apparently flooded with chinese agents even more so than the United States.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nonsense posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/17/us/politics/obama-administration-warns-beijing-about-agents-operating-in-us.html

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has delivered a warning to Beijing about the presence of Chinese government agents operating secretly in the United States to pressure prominent expatriates — some wanted in China on charges of corruption — to return home immediately, according to American officials.

The American officials said that Chinese law enforcement agents covertly in this country are part of Beijing’s global campaign to hunt down and repatriate Chinese fugitives and, in some cases, recover allegedly ill-gotten gains.

China pretty much ignores other countries sovereignty when it comes to its warped, primitive law enforcement, and Austrlia and UK are apparently flooded with chinese agents even more so than the United States.

I see they're learning from the best.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nachos posted:

Scott Walker at 6%, it's all so beautiful

That really is just great.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My Man Shran posted:

Is it still common at all for a congressperson to address constituent complaints or aid them in dealings with the government?

I imagine that this kind of involvement is very rare for established congressmen in safe districts, and unlikely for those that aren't, unless that constituent can write a five figure check.
You imagine wrong. Having problems with Social Security, the Veterans' Administration, and other Federal systems? Your local Congressional office (not the national one, the one in your district) is your friend. Call them and they'll do their best to figure out who you should be talking to, and will reach them for you if that looks like the best solution. My daughter volunteered in the local office of our very safe district (nobody even bothered to run against our Rep last election), and a big part of the job was interceding with both government and non-government problems.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You imagine wrong. Having problems with Social Security, the Veterans' Administration, and other Federal systems? Your local Congressional office (not the national one, the one in your district) is your friend. Call them and they'll do their best to figure out who you should be talking to, and will reach them for you if that looks like the best solution. My daughter volunteered in the local office of our very safe district (nobody even bothered to run against our Rep last election), and a big part of the job was interceding with both government and non-government problems.

There's no reason a community outreach center, sponsored by the elected parties, wouldn't have the same effect. And let's be honest, the vast majority of constituent work is stuff like expediting passports or letters of recommendations to officer school.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

There's no reason a community outreach center, sponsored by the elected parties, wouldn't have the same effect. And let's be honest, the vast majority of constituent work is stuff like expediting passports or letters of recommendations to officer school.

Sponsored by who again? You're going to get all 6 parties or whatever to agree to work together? That's utterly ridiculous.

And if there's multiple sponsored by each party, how do you know which one can actually do poo poo for you?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nonsense posted:

I wonder how Canada is doing on that front. A not-insignificant amount money from mainland China with questionable origin has been used to purchases houses to keep it out of reach of clawbacks by the Chinese government.

This has happened to a lesser extent in some big US markets as well.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 17, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the way the NYC housing market is currently getting hosed by that problem is "a lesser extent", I'd hate to think what's happening in Canada.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

haveblue posted:

If the way the NYC housing market is currently getting hosed by that problem is "a lesser extent", I'd hate to think what's happening in Canada.

well nyc's been used for that sort of thing by a much more diverse group of rich fuckos for a lot longer.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

haveblue posted:

NYC is rich fucks from everywhere in the world buying property through shell corps. Vancouver is much more dominated by money from China. he Canada Debt Bubble thread is hard to read because of all the circlejerking over the collapse of the oil sands industry but you can find articles like this out there which paint an astonishing picture of the market:

quote:

Local real estate company Macdonald Realty Ltd says buyers with cash from mainland China accounted for 70 per cent of the firm’s sales in 2014 of single-family homes, condos and townhomes over $3 million in Vancouver, including the west side, east Vancouver and the downtown core.

It also says such buyers in the same areas accounted for only 21 per cent of similar property purchases between $1 million and $3 million, and just 11 per cent when prices were below $1 million.

Last year, Macdonald released a different snapshot of its 2013 city of Vancouver transactions. Looking at only single-family homes and ignoring different price ranges, it found 33 per cent of these sales went to buyers from mainland China.

This fresh and more detailed data comes as debate has been heated about the exact impact of money from mainland China on local home prices.

The focus has been both on wealthy investors in mainland China, but also, by some estimates, the 45,000 residents and Canadian citizens with roots in mainland China who moved to Vancouver via immigrant-investor programs.

Now granted those numbers are from a RE firm which has a satellite office in Shanghai but still that's nuts.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

New FoxNews poll.

Hahahahhahahahhahah

Folks like Carson because he "tells it like it is on race" when he says now is not the timr for a dialogue on race.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
One thing that is sort of fascinating is that, even in the 2012 clown car, Mitch was only ever playing second fiddle to the flavor of the week (I think he may have been third fiddle for exactly one polling period). Now, the presumptive nominee is polling in a extreme distant fourth, even with similar periods of time until the election.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Radbot posted:

Now, the presumptive nominee is polling in a extreme distant fourth, even with similar periods of time until the election.

But Trump is in first :confused:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

God I love that poll. It's great how with Trump so far in front it makes the more "dangerous" candidates work that much hard. From a Democratic position, it's great to see how those guys will have to spend more money fighting off Trump, and getting single digits in the polls will not help your fundraising efforts.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Bird in a Blender posted:

God I love that poll. It's great how with Trump so far in front it makes the more "dangerous" candidates work that much hard. From a Democratic position, it's great to see how those guys will have to spend more money fighting off Trump, and getting single digits in the polls will not help your fundraising efforts.

I just want it to cause them to say increasingly stupid poo poo to peel the base in their favor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does terminal stupidity exist. Can they reach it?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
e: wrong thread.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 17, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Super delegate insurrection at the Convention maybe.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

NYC is rich fucks from everywhere in the world buying property through shell corps. Vancouver is much more dominated by money from China. he Canada Debt Bubble thread is hard to read because of all the circlejerking over the collapse of the oil sands industry but you can find articles like this out there which paint an astonishing picture of the market:

Now granted those numbers are from a RE firm which has a satellite office in Shanghai but still that's nuts.

Are they stuffing the cabinets and closets with expensive baubles like the Russians in London?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

euphronius posted:

Does terminal stupidity exist. Can they reach it?

Rick Perry's "Oops" moment was the event horizon of stupidity for the GOP. They haven't been able to escape it since that moment- when a Presidential contender couldn't remember the 3 Federal Departments he'd abolish.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Rick Perry's "Oops" moment was the event horizon of stupidity for the GOP. They haven't been able to escape it since that moment- when a Presidential contender couldn't remember the 3 Federal Departments he'd abolish.

No, he's all better now--the glasses fixed that.

euphronius posted:

Super delegate insurrection at the Convention maybe.

Republicans don't have superdelegates; that's a Democrats-only thing. Invented so that a George McGovern-type could never win the nomination again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Perry is proof the war on drugs failed.

Or alternatively, that's what you get when you authorize experimental back surgery just for yourself! Free market!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Alter Ego posted:

Except three years later he was still unprepared for that question! If he wasn't drilled on that by his staff, they deserve to be fired.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Radbot posted:

Just checking -- do you have documentation for this? Have you worked in a constituent office? My daughter did, and she said that most of the work was helping people who were stuck in the wheels of Federal government, as well as (sometimes) intervening on the local level. Our Congresswoman was very active in supporting people, in or out of her district, in the 2010 San Bruno explosion. She also sponsors regular job fairs. The whole officer-school recommendation thing happens once per year per academy, and it's admittedly time-consuming but hardly occupies the whole year.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Alter Ego posted:

His consistent low polling and complete irrelevance has been a non stop treat to me.
I honestly enjoy his failure. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that everyone who works for the Perry campaign is now working for free because his warchest is empty.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I needed that reminder and it made me laugh.
This is great.

God Bless Donald Trump. <<<<---------- something I never thought I would say.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Reminder that everyone who works for the Perry campaign is now working for free because his warchest is empty.

Perry will dig up the buried treasure in Kyle field and rival Trump.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Is Kyle field where the mass graves of immigrants are? :rimshot:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Now they are fighting to about who can be more cruel to the US born kids of undocumented people. That should play well in the general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

Is Kyle field where the mass graves of immigrants are? :rimshot:

No just dogs.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Now they are fighting to about who can be more cruel to the US born kids of undocumented people. That should play well in the general.

Trump wants to cut remittances, and basically disembowel the paisano economy that runs along I35.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

zoux posted:

No just dogs.

Are you trying to shift this discussion to Huckabee now? What is your agenda.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

I missed this post but does anyone have a link to a in depth story of how this challenge was accomplished?

I've read some articles but a more in depth investigation and also possible transcripts of testimony

I can only find some nominal articles on it and not something more in depth.

The challenge was just a lawsuit brought by, among others, The League of Women Voters against the Florida Legislature for violating the Florida Constitution. Since Florida's Constitution has anti gerrymandering language, it's pretty easy to show the court a map of District 5 and all but rest your case. The complainants were further aided by mountains of evidence that the Republicans had closed door meetings with lobbying groups to develop a map as favorable to Republicans as possible.

I don't have an article here at work, but it was all very blatant and this is the second time the courts have told the Legislature they done wrong on the maps.

zoux posted:

I thought his Super PAC was paying for his staff and infrastructure via some sort of magical non-communicative way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gyges posted:

I thought his Super PAC was paying for his staff and infrastructure via some sort of magical non-communicative way.

Excuse me, that would be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Excuse me, that would be illegal.

Well he's already under felony indictment, so nothing to lose; and if he wins he'll just pardon himself.

• Locked thread