Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
When you can’t spot the moon,
And it sees you too soon,
That’s TPK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Doesn't the planet Krynn from Dragonlance have three moons and only people who practice the right kind of magic can see them, and then usually only one of them?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Doesn't the planet Krynn from Dragonlance have three moons and only people who practice the right kind of magic can see them, and then usually only one of them?
I don’t know enough about Dragonlance to dispute this.

I do know that in Eberron, the moons are the other planes, though.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Krynn does indeed have three moons, lunitari (red), solinari (white), and nuitari (black). They're also the names of and represent/are tied to the three gods of Magic, Neutral, Good, and Evil, respectively.

The fact that I still know all this decades later saddens me on some level, but hey.

I can't remember only the Mages that swear allegiance to them (since Krynn has that whole red/white/black robed wizards thing) being able to see any of them, but that *might* be the case with Nuitari, the black one?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
That was only the case with Nuitari the black moon, yes.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I wonder what came first, moon visibility rule debates or secret hidden evil moons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be awesome for there to be some race of shadow people in your campaign setting always doing stuff but it takes a DC 40 or something to see them. Only high level chargers see them sometimes, or some poor schmoe who got in a situation by coincidence with a bonuses stacked up and has a luckily high check and now is a crazy conspiracy theorist

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Everyone on Krynn could see the red and white moons, but the black moon was only visible to black-robed wizards. There was one exception to that, the Night of the Eye, a rare celestial occurrence where all three moons would be in alignment, black in front of the other two, red in the middle, and white in the back.

There was also at least one novel that mentioned that even though the black moon itself wasn't visible to normal people, smart folks could still track its position by noting the positions of the stars in the night sky and paying attention to when certain stars would briefly disappear as the moon passed in front of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elder Scrolls has similar: there's a Dark Moon that's only revealed when both the grey moon Secunda and the red moon Masser eclipse the sun at the same time.

Dunno if you could track it by occlusion, reality and physics can be a bit subjective in TES so it might be that the moon only exists as a perceivable object during that time.

(Oh and there's also a moon called the Necromancer's Moon that's the divine body of the King of Worms, which popped into existence at the end of Daggerfall when he became the God of Worms, but that's tiny and out there and you can only tell it's there because occasionally it occludes one of the other planets, Arkay. Arkay is the god of death so that gives you a time where you can bend the laws of death a bit)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Elden Ring also has a secret moon you can only see from certain places.

I never realized secret moons were such a popular fantasy staple.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It would be awesome for there to be some race of shadow people in your campaign setting always doing stuff but it takes a DC 40 or something to see them. Only high level chargers see them sometimes, or some poor schmoe who got in a situation by coincidence with a bonuses stacked up and has a luckily high check and now is a crazy conspiracy theorist

John Dies at the End would make a great campaign setting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

My head hurts thinking about trying to convert the way that world is implied to work into a campaign setting.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

There was also at least one novel that mentioned that even though the black moon itself wasn't visible to normal people, smart folks could still track its position by noting the positions of the stars in the night sky and paying attention to when certain stars would briefly disappear as the moon passed in front of them.

:lol: so the moon isn't magically invisible it's magically camouflaged

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:lol: so the moon isn't magically invisible it's magically camouflaged

It's painted with vantablack

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GlyphGryph posted:

Elden Ring also has a secret moon you can only see from certain places.

I never realized secret moons were such a popular fantasy staple.

I've ran a few one shots and mini-campaigns inspired by JDatE and it works super well. I used Unknown Armies and ORE (Nemesis), but I am pretty sure it should flow with whatever horror system one likes best.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The shadow people are actually just stagehands.
And obviously ninjas have the power to disappear by disguising as stagehands.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dragonlance's moon mage orders were neat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kyte posted:

The shadow people are actually just stagehands.
And obviously ninjas have the power to disappear by disguising as stagehands.

Modern day ninjas wear green bodysuits.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And sometimes it's blue.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only thing more unethical than a regular wizard is a moon wizard

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

(Oh and there's also a moon called the Necromancer's Moon that's the divine body of the King of Worms, which popped into existence at the end of Daggerfall when he became the God of Worms, but that's tiny and out there and you can only tell it's there because occasionally it occludes one of the other planets, Arkay. Arkay is the god of death so that gives you a time where you can bend the laws of death a bit)

Note that the Necromancer's moon is Arkay's moon, not Nirn's.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Oblivious posted:

The only thing more unethical than a regular wizard is a moon wizard

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I did always love the idea that the average person assumed there were only two moons, and only wizards and astronomers knew about the secret invisible third moon, which only became visible during eclipses.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Rando question but are there any plotholes in OOTS?

Or is the story that AIRTIGHT?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

lol

i mean it's sort of lampshaded itself out of having to care, hasn't it? if there was a plothole someone would just point at it and shrug. i think it's reasonably tight as such things go, though?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

It's not that it doesn't have plot holes and more that Rich takes care of patching them up afterwards if needed.

For example, I'd say that when Rich introduced the idea that the material plane is just a fresh iteration and no mortal is aware of it, there was definitely a huge plot hole there since mortals talk to extraplanar entities or even visit other planes all the time.

Rich adding a throwaway line "oh, we just wipe every outsider's memories on reset" is what I mean by patching over the plot hole - it's clumsy, but it works if you don't overthink it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Remember that OOTS started out as a lightweight comic making fun of D&D tropes. The plot didn't begin until 200 strips in.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
He decided there would be a plot around comic #6

The third comic he ever wrote involved durkon turning undead. He decided to delay it for plot reasons

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It is perfect as delivered from the hand of Burlew himself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I remember discussing the timeline of events between the Scribble Adventures and now, and I don't think they entirely add up? I forget the actual reason, but if you break it down, only forty years passed between Shojo being a little kid and him being eighty.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Timelines are hard, the one fault I have with Planescape Torment is that it's really got some holes on when and for how long each of the Incarnations existed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I remember discussing the timeline of events between the Scribble Adventures and now, and I don't think they entirely add up? I forget the actual reason, but if you break it down, only forty years passed between Shojo being a little kid and him being eighty.

i think you will find that a wizard literally did it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the other big one is Familicide should probably have killed a lot more people than it did.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zore posted:

I think the other big one is Familicide should probably have killed a lot more people than it did.

How do people do the math on that, didn't it go all across the face of the world zapping people?

Speaking of, the TV series Foundation had a neat version of that scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t05qXF5QLWw

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Zore posted:

I don't think dragons gently caress that much.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zore posted:

IIRC, the precise interpretation of "blood related" was chosen very conveniently so that it would kill Tarquin's wife without causing a global genocide.

V said something like "anybody who is blood related to you, and anybody who is blood related to those people" but the first part propagated aggressively to all black dragons and dragon-blooded creatures, while the second part seems to have only affected close relatives.

In hindsight, it was kinda unnecessary. Tarquin's dead wife could easily have been e.g. an estranged daughter of the Draketooth clan looking for her father, removing the need for the second clause.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I think it was just a way to have v openly commit genocide without drawing attention to the fact that it was genocide.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

V says she estimates she took out 1/4 of all black dragons. Direct bloodline, then direct relation to that bloodline, so two degrees of separation.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

ikanreed posted:

I think it was just a way to have v openly commit genocide without drawing attention to the fact that it was genocide.

I think if Rich didn't want to call attention to it, he'd have named it something else.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ikanreed posted:

...wasn't the whole point of V casting it BECAUSE it would be a very targeted genocide? Specifically V's lines about "Had you simply attacked me, I would have left it at this. But you dragged my family into it, so I'm making sure this can never happen again"?

Almost 700 comics ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

I think if Rich didn't want to call attention to it, he'd have named it something else.

Randalor posted:

Specifically V's lines about "Had you simply attacked me, I would have left it at this. But you dragged my family into it, so I'm making sure this can never happen again"?

I know the point of the whole section was mostly to show that V was arrogant and nowhere near deserving of the power they were after, but it's also really interesting as a look at another angle on a theme Rich touches on a few times. Specifically, the truly heinous things people are capable of when they feel like they're justified and in the right. Miko was following her holy mission, Redcloak is fighting against a cosmic injustice, etc.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 7, 2024