Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If I ever play a good necromancer he'll only raise dead people who give permission in the form of a signed contract.

I'll have to give him a fantastic charisma score to convince people to sign, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I'm kinda getting the impression that it isn't that someone was close enough to get in; after all, there've been at least two times where that easily could have happened. I'm thinking it may be more what Laurin is: a psion. My guess is that that's actually a real planet in there, and the Snarl is effectively it's god or guardian deity. Why lash out at Laurin in particular, and not Blackwing or Roy and co.? There are really only two major differences between them: alignment (and I'm not gonna go there because :can:) and their abilities. So the Snarl senses something it doesn't recognize outside of its domain, and attacks it. And it doesn't recognize psionics.

...were there any psions in 2e DnD?

(:speculate:)
Sort of? I think they were called psionicists, and they were a big deal in Dark Sun. Mind you, I started with 3.5e, so I've never seen them in action.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wittgen posted:

The dude from White Collar?
The best part is that episode with the rich nerd trying to pull it off.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like Legend

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

I don't care about system. I just want to lose my gaming virginity to a system and/or DM that allows something on the level of Sir Bearington or Los Tiburon.
One of the tracks in Legend turns you into Kamen Rider.

I barely know what that is, but I still think it's awesome.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Silento posted:

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen OotS fanart. I guess because of the art style. Have any of you seen any? The question just came into my head because lots of threads have goon-made art or gifs or whatev in the OP.
There was a guy drawing OoTS as a manga a few years ago, over on the GITP forums. I'm sure he stopped, but I'm not sure why.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Wasn't Rich threatening to sue all fanartists?
Maybe that?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Lack of time/burn out/other projects.
Interesting. Any good?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

xanthan posted:

The 3.5 SRD actually lists variant paladins for other alignments. Chaotic Good? Paladin of Freedom. Chaotic Evil? Paladin of Slaughter? Lawful Evil? Paladin of Tyranny.
Here it is. It also notes that Paladin Classic can be called Paladin of Honor.

There's also like a dozen Paladin variants of various alignments scattered through Dragon Magazine.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

greatn posted:

Unaligned: Paladin of Eh - Powers: Smite something, or whatever, maybe not
There's actually a True Neutral Paladin, called the Incarnate. For some reason, it has an Elemental theme. No, I don't know why. It gets Smite Extremist which only works on CE, LE, CG and LG targets, just in case you want to piss everyone off instead of just one side.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm really digging the Paladin of Freedom, except the bit about not helping anyone if it's a lawful act. I understand the intention, but the RAW interpretation would be pretty stupid.

I guess that's what DMs are for.
Yeah, Codes of Conduct manage to make the alignment problems even worse.

Slime posted:

That list of alternate paladin types also had alternate ranger types, including an alternate ranger. An urban ranger. It gives you abilities more suited to an urban environment, making you good at things like tracking down missing persons and investigating crime. It basically makes you into a police detective, or possibly a private eye depending on which you prefer.
Not just ranger, that section of the SRD comes from a book of alternate rules. Alternate magic systems, alternate equipment, and yes, alternate class features.

If you want to read more, go to the main page and look at the bottom right, under "Variant Rules, open content from Unearthed Arcana."

My favorite is the Wildshape Ranger variant. It's just thrown in there randomly, doesn't even have an official name.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Other than that, I liked the Gestalt characters (you pick two classes and at each level up get the benefits of both, or the best of the two for stuff like hit dice, saves, etc.). It was kind of a throwaway idea and the vanilla classes were obviously not designed with it in mind, but I think it could have eventually been developed into pretty good system.

Rather than having to come up with a shitload of classes, variant classes, and prestige classes, you let players combine two of a limited number of fairly basic classes to get what they want. Want a barbarian sorcerer? Instead of having to dig around for a Wilderness Mage or some such that has a 50% chance of being poorly-designed or broken anyway, just make a Barbarian+Sorcerer! Multiclass characters only suck because they have to compete with single-class ones, and progression isn't linear so 2x level 5 < 1x level 10, but if it's built into the system you don't have that problem.
Spellcasters don't want to multiclass, but martials do it just fine. The strongest Barbarian level is level 1.

But yeah, gestalt is fun. I only played in one gestalt game but I enjoyed it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Rich Burlew is the Piers Anthony of webcomics.
Oh poo poo

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

I have no idea who that is; should I be outraged/offended by this comparison?
He's a really lovely author I liked when I was a lovely teenager.

Pope Guilty posted:

Dude writes lovely YA fiction full of puns, misogyny, and pedo apologetics.
Yeah, this.

If you're still curious.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sfwarlock posted:

I might be the only one who read it as "Thor is nuts" i.e. Thor is crazy.
The thought crossed my mind, but the fact that Durkin said "Thor's Taint" in an earlier comic suggests otherwise.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

IMJack posted:

If you look close, Banjo stabbed the guy with his scalpel.
Looks like Banjo took 3 levels in Duskblade.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Colonel Cool posted:

Who's ready for a little piece of the GitP forum?
Holy poo poo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Huh. I always thought it meant "Cat". :raise:
This might have something to do with that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Oh god there are sooooo many Burlew tree jokes coming, aren't there
Well, if you ash for it...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

rocketrobot posted:

I hope you four die in a forest fire.
You'll never be poplar with that attitude.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FMguru posted:

The various efforts to bolt new official systems onto the side of 3.x/D20 (Magic of Incarnum, Book of Nine Swords, Tome of Magic, even the Psionics rulebooks) were always, always a half-baked mess when actually put into use.

...which isn't so much of a knock against WotC as it is a measure of just how hard it is to make functional, balanced game mechanics that will be picked and pored over by a giant audience of rules lawyers who are looking for any possible loophole to gain an advantage (or to show off their giant superior brains). Those supplements had just a tiny development and playtesting budget compared to the core books, so it's no wonder they weren't tested to destruction before release.
Tome of Battle/Magic could definitely have used better editors. The Psionics rules were mostly fine (compared to casters, anyway). Though, I do remember seeing that Deja Vu was printed twice and wondering if there was a guy on the team with a sense of humor.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

The second time around, yes. The original psionics rules were terrible.
I always forget 3.0 existed, since I wasn't playing then.

Fair enough.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Xykon is Obama, goblins are muslims. O-Chul is Ted Cruz.
I would vote for O-Chul.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Colonial Air Force posted:

We need to cast Protection from Rich Being Unwell
I'd rather cast Protection from Alignment Discussions.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I was referring to the last panel about the blood bond. In V:tM if humans drink a vampires blood they become Ghouls who have this weird S&M vibe about their relationship to their vamp masters, something similar happens when two vampires drink each others blood as well.
That sounds like the opposite of what just happened, so I'm just going to go ahead and say it's probably less a reference to that and more a reference to the erotic subtext inherent to most fictional vampire stories.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoe posted:

I know it's not fair to make comparisons like this, but the only two comics I regularly check and speculate about and just generally get all excited about at the moment are Broodhollow and OotS, and when the former cranks out amazing art and plot twists multiple times a week just as a routine thing it makes me slightly less patient with the glacial updates of the latter.

Also Broodhollow is on a between-book hiatus right now and I'm gonna get the shakes real bad if I can't feel the void somehow. Rich, please be okay faster.

eh, maybe it's time to start a leisurely archive binge.
You should read Gunnerkrigg Court.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Someone capable of acting as a sort of morality pet/conscious to slowly steer Redcloak towards nobler methods could've been possible.
Didn't they kill that guy?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wonder what those arrows are going to hit.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

What makes you think those tweets refer to Haley?

IIRC the most she ever said re:sexuality was admitting some past Katy Perry songs, and you know, since it happened in ciphered speech you could hardly blame anyone for being unaware of it.
One of the voices in her head is explicitly named "Haley's Latent Bisexuality". Haley is bisexual and the people who are arguing otherwise are idiots.

Edit: to be fair, some of them may just be bigots. Not to imply the two are mutually exclusive.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 6, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The axe-caddy character is only really worth it in a game that has inherant bonuses.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, I will agree on that. Rich using Haley to publicly flagellate himself for having used the word "bitch" ten years earlier made for some rather cringey panels, but when compared to Gunnerkrigg's ten straight pages of Hey Kids, Did You Know Homophobia Is Bad, Like Really Really Bad?! sermon he deserves an Oscar for subtlety.
what ten pages?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FriggenJ posted:

Yeah, I was wondering on the "official" ruling on this. If he's already Chaotic Evil would he even change personality at all?
Belker's personality wouldn't change, but then neither did Durkon's. :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

navyjack posted:

And he was played by a black guy in the movies.
Idris Elba, and he was fantastic. Stirring up the racists was a nice bonus, too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Every class gets Magic Items. Trying to use Magic Items to bridge the gap between fighter and wizard is an exercise in futility because every advantage the fighter buys in order to even the playing field, the wizard buys one to keep himself out of reach. Of course, the Wizard also has access to Magic Item crafting and can get what he needs for half the price, if he feels like it.

Or the wizard could just cast disjunction, but hey

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

In a world where that was standard operating procedure, wouldn't important defensive traps be set to cause wide area damage? Trip the trap and the whole corridor gets filled with gas or flame or rolling logs.
stay out of the corridor then.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I believe Complete Arcane has rules for tattooing spells directly onto your body

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

While he's right about Paizo not doing anything with the actually good 3.5 material, a 3rd party - Dreamscarred Press - has been porting over the cool poo poo, and doing a pretty good job of it. Tome of Battle and Magic of Incarnum in particular were really cool, but needed some more passes at the editors desk and more support after the initial release, so it's cool to see them get more love. They've also done Psionics, and iirc one of the guys working on it also worked on the Expanded Psionics Handbook in 3.5.

They were also doing the Truenamer but it seems like the guy writing it disappeared. :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Don't bother with custom magic items, or Item Familiars or the Paragnostic Assembly (the two other significant boosts to Truename checks). If your DM is cool enough to let you have them (none of them are guaranteed to be available), he's probably cool enough to just rework the DCs so that it's possible to use your basic class features without mild optimization.

The Truenamer has really cool flavor but in practice it's a middling caster with more fiddly bits and caveats, and that requires you to spend resources in order to reach base competency.

EDIT: I should probably say "two of the other three significant boosts to Truename checks", as Tome of Magic had a magic item that gives you a +10 enhancement bonus to Truename checks. Don't remember how much the cost compares to the custom competence item, but you probably want it anyway since the DM is more likely to allow it.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 27, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I actually like the Truenamers thing where people can teleport you by saying your name. Sounds fun.

And Binders rule, actually.

Shadowcasters work fine and have a decent enough power level, but are kind of bland. Their "spells" are called mysteries and are basically just spells. They go up to 9th level like any other full caster, and the way the mysteries are organized into groups can sometimes be inconvenient. It's not too important here.

By default they're "cast as Arcane spells" and you only get 1 use of each mysteries per day. Your lower level mysteries eventually advance to being cast as SLAs (and can be cast 2/day) and the lowest levels end up cast as Supernatural abilities (3/day).

Beyond that, they have two casting stats, a wonky bonus feat rule, some cantrip-like mysteries that eventually become at-will and some minor abilities, like not needing to eat. That's about it? I played one and it wasn't all that interesting.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 29, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mmkay posted:

He didn't leave though. Julia was still born after all of this happened.
"Roy had to pick up the pieces" is the key part of the sentence, the part that could be misinterpreted and lead to exposure. The rest of the wording could be altered to fit the narrative.

Of course, that's not what happened, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Except, as Roy points out, as a stepping stone to Weapon Specialization.
... so, yeah, useless.