Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Hellequin posted:

If you're looking at making a chain. This Month's issue of Guitar Player has a big feature on Pedal Boards and how to set them up without making your guitar sound like crap.

There's also these two articles over at the Gibson site.

Effects Pedals, Part 1

Effects Pedals, Part 2

By no means all you need to know but a good guide to understanding.

Oh, and this is in the mail, wheee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Speaking of tremolos, does anyone know of a classic sounding, really simple tremolo with a speed switch. I was looking at the Monster Effects Swamp Thang trem but I'm sure there's other stuff out there.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

dancehall posted:

danelectro tuna melt

No speed switch.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

screammachine posted:

Oh, it really matters. I knew someone who had their FF pretty deep into their chain and felt very apathetic about the pedal, I told them to put it first and all of a sudden they fell in love. You can't run two Fuzz Factories off of the same guitar signal (via a split cable) because the Fuzz Factory works intimately with your pickups and they cancel each other out. The further it is from first position the worse the pedal sounds. 2nd or 3rd in the chain is fine if its after true bypass pedals but really its got to be first to get the complete mojo.

I did this with my Beano Boost. First I had it sitting after my Wah and OC-2 and was really disappointed with it. The sound was really thin and grating. I started having second thoughts about the whole treble boost thing but then moved to the beginning of the chain...

Holy gently caress it was good; exactly the sound I was looking for. I couldn't believe it was just because I had two buffered pedals (switched off) in front of it.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Let's bring this thread back from the dead and discuss Fuzzes.

After a long run of using overdrives and boosts I got my first fuzz, a MI Audio Germanium Neo Fuzz. All I can say is I'm a convert. Running it through an amp already on the boil and you get a nice thick, bluesy, sustaining fuzz. It can get a bit over the top but I like the fuzz set at about halfway with a bit of boost from the volume knob. Now I have an Analogman Sunface on the way, it's a slippery slope.

I know there are other fuzz fans here, tell me you favourites.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I have a Polytune and a Pitchblack. I pretty much use the Pitchblack all the time.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

I picked up a 1974 reissue script phase 90 and love it. The down side is it has no led or DC jack but the upside is the sound, exactly the phaser sound that's in my head.

Having said that, I have a Destination Rotation on my board at the moment and I use it as a kinda cross phaser/uni-vibe/Leslie thing.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

Big Muffs run about $90-130 over here it seems, even used. But I'll keep an eye out.

Why not try out some Aussie pedals?

MI Effects Crunch Box
http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/mi-supercrunchbox.asp

Crowther Hotcake (more OD than distortion)
http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/crowther-hotcake.asp

MI Audio Megalith Delta ($$$ though)
http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/mi-megalithdelta.asp

Anarchy Audio Vagiant
http://www.anarchyaudioaustralia.com/Vagiant.html

Tym Effects (king of Muff tones)
http://tymguitars.com.au/collections/effects/tym-guitars

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Yeah, sorry misunderstood.

If you're in Melbourne check out the Swop Shop, they've always got a good cheap selection of used pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

...Makes the Crunch Box look like one hell of a deal at its price in AUD given that it's a domestically manufactured pedal there...

And you might be able to pick up an older Crunch Box now the Super Crunch Box is out.