Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I installed Windows 7 on my old-rear end HP Pavilion zv5000. The OS is running pretty smoothly, but the only problem I'm having is that it won't recognize my Graphics Card (Geforce 440 MX GO) or my laptop's display (selects it as a generic PnP monitor). I looked for drivers but they're all for XP so they won't even install.

The driver itself isn't a problem, but it's forcing me to use a 1024x768 resolution which looks awful.

Anyone know of any workarounds?

This guy found a driver to work for vista 32-bit, might work for 7 as well: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/331431.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

GreenNight posted:

7 is loads faster than Vista, I'm glad they didn't include tons of extra poo poo.

Why would having more screensavers, or anything else that is only on disk until the user decides to use it, make the OS load slower?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What is the best way to make my Documents & Desktop folder be on a fileserver? The server is a linux Samba server if that makes a difference. I'm running Win7 x64 Professional.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Kairos posted:

I've never actually tried this before, but just going and right clicking on your Documents and Desktop directories, choosing Properties, going to the Location tab, and then typing in where you want them (e.g. \\myfileserver\myshare\Documents\) should work, right? If not mounting that share as a virtual drive should certainly work.

Thanks, that seems to work just fine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I recently reinstalled Windows 7. How do I enable hibernation? I tried following a how-to website, ran 'powercfg -h on' in an administrator command prompt and rebooted. But hibernate is still not an option from the start menu.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

WorkingStiff posted:

Hibernation is disabled by design in systems with more than 4GB of RAM, and is also driver & BIOS dependent even with workarounds.

I have 8GB. To be clear, does that mean I just can't hibernate? Am I right in guessing it is some kind of 32-bit limitation? Anyway, I don't really "need" to hibernate, it just would have been particularly convenient. It is a desktop, anyway.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

IT Guy posted:

I'm just curious but why is everyone turning on hibernation for a desktop that is plugged into power 24/7? Sleep is so much better?

I am doing development on a PCI card and wanted to make some changes to the prototype card. I also didn't want to lose my development environment state. It was just a "oh, I could hibernate and it would be perfect for this" thought.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is there a program for Windows that acts something like Llama for android? Llama is a location profile app, that automatically changs profiles when in different areas. Llama can track cell towers and wifi APs to determine the location. I'd like to do the same thing on the laptop, based on wifi APs. In a nutshell, I would like to mute sound when I'm near certain wifi APs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

I've been trying to get Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood to run on my PC. It's a very old Commandos clone. In Windows 8 it runs unplayably slow. This is true for the legit Steam version as well as every pirated version I've downloaded. Somebody suggested using Windows Virtual PC to run it in XP-mode, but Virtual PC is incompatible with Windows 8. What should I do now?

I tried running it in Linux under WINE but get too many graphical glitches.

If you have or can get a license for XP, you could use VirtualBox as an alternative to Virtual PC. You or a friend might have an old computer with a windows license key sticker on it somewhere, even if you don't think you have one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This might be a better fit for one of the audio threads, but I thought I'd try here first.

My PC is connected to the monitor with HDMI (I'll call this A). It is also connected to my main receiver/TV with a second HDMI (B). I have the desktop extended onto this display, though it isn't visible a lot of the time because the TV is off or the receiver is set to a different input. I also have the PC connected to my old receiver at my desk, just for audio, also over HDMI (C). The desktop is also extended onto this "display", but there isn't actually a display.

So, this leaves me with a bunch of unused extended desktop, that mostly acts as a mouse cursor trap. It would be great if I could use C for audio, but not have the desktop include it at all. As best I can tell, this is impossible in Windows. Is it really? I used optical for awhile, but I would prefer to use HDMI if possible.

It would also be nice if I could disable the B part of the desktop when I'm not using it. Is there a quick way to do that? Or possibly a way to have two non-virtual "virtual desktops"? Or a way to disable the mouse cursor passing between displays?

I have a GTX 970 and the Intel on-board video. I've tried putting C on both, but neither has any options that seem like it would get it working without extended the desktop.

I can't run the monitor video through C because that receiver won't work with resolutions higher than 1080p.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 18, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Gromit posted:

I'm not at home to check, but DisplayFusion might support some stuff you want? I have dual monitors and use DF to create a hotkey that lets me lock my mouse pointer to my main monitor when I'm gaming (if the game is the sort that lets my cursor go off-screen.) Maybe the tool also lets you block it from entering a particular monitor, but I've honestly no idea.

That sounds promising, I'll check it out tonight.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Subyng posted:

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know how to actually get inserted pictures to show up in OpenOffice Impress? It just...doesn't work. I'm trying to insert it into those layout boxes it gives you. I can see the picture but it doesn't show up in presentation view.

I just tried making a slideshow in Impress, and my picture didn't show up in the actual slide show either! Looks fine in all the preview windows, etc.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Obfuscation posted:

Does anyone know how MS Office keys work? I need to install Office to my parents new computer but they have lost the discs and their product key. Is it possible to find the key from the old installation somehow and then use that with torrented installer to end up with a legit Office?

It might be. http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/ has some info. This is the tool from the end of that article, which is probably way easier.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I just got a notification saying I can reserve my free Windows 10 download. Neat!

I realize it's still (?) in the RC stages right now, but does anyone have any reason to not do the update as soon as it's ready?

Where was the notification? In the OS? email?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

You want to sign up so you get Windows 10 for free.
Is this going to be the only chance to get it for free? I assumed that offer would last for awhile.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is the offer linked to the current install key or email? If I want to get the offer for more than 1 PC do I need to do anything special/worry?

I'm even getting the offer on a win 7 VM install using a technet key, that surprised me and almost seems too good to be true.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Don't know for sure. It showed up as a system tray notification for most people.

I spent a couple minutes reading through the FAQ and it says you can do as many as you want, just make a reservation for each device. And you don't have to submit an email, so I guess it isn't linked to the email.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

I honestly see a decent reason why anyone would support the utter filth uTorrent has become, it is pure garbage loaded with far too many ads. The pro upgrade is beyond retarded, $20 per year??? WTF???? Don't use this program, don't support the developers, get a real torrent program not a damned advertising platform.
I completely agree with this. Why would you use the known scummy option, even if you can (hopefully) sanitize it? It has name recognition from a decade ago when it had groundbreaking features like 'not lovely slow', but that is about it.

:tinfoil: If you do any :filez:, which client do you think is most likely to be a partner in some kind of BSA/MPAA/whatever monitoring program?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

repiv posted:

The powers that be don't really need a client backdoor when the BitTorrent protocol inherently broadcasts to the whole world what you're seeding :shrug:

Does it actually do that if you are using full encryption and private tracker and not using the DHT/peer exchange type features? Seriously asking. I think that the traffic patterns will be pretty clearly bittorrent and I assume it will be trivially vulnerable to MITM because I don't think any clients will notice if the key changes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Try the firefox extension 'Down Them All'.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

So I built a new rig since it was time and used the product key from my old build for my Windows install and the "Reserve Windows 10" icon isn't popping up. I know Windows ties itself to the mobo now so I'm assuming Windows might be having a tiff with authenticating the product but it hasn't given me any bullshit about the key being in use or not Genuine or whatever the message would be. Any suggestions?

Did you do all the updates? If you look in the list of updates number 3035583 is the one that shoes the Win10 advert.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My first metro app

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

How is it even possible that these popular drivers aren't ready yet? Get your poo poo together PC industry.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Stealthgerbil posted:

Anyone know of a good free pdf editor? This user just needs to delete and rotate pages.

Flipperwaldt posted:

PdfSAM. Requires Java though.

Seconded, PDFSAM has worked great for me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Perhaps PDFTK? https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I've spent several years away from Windows—can someone recommend a simple audio conversion utility that doesn't look like a scam when you download it? I need to tell a client how to convert WAV to MP3 and I don't want to tell them to just click some sketchy Google link. It's also possible that WMP is capable enough?

e: It actually looks like the utility I use for OS X is available for Windows as well. http://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/ Has anyone used the Windows build by any chance?

I installed it, and it worked fine to re-encode some MP3s to lower-bitrate MP3s. It is a bit opaque about where it puts the finished files, and the user will have to be able to intelligently select the output format. But, it is pretty drat straightforward to use compared to most free programs involving MP3s.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is it possible to have different time-outs for putting my monitors to sleep? I have GTX 970, with a monitor connector to the displayport output, and my surround receiver connected to an HDMI output. When Windows puts the main monitor to sleep, it also turns off the HDMI going to the receiver. That means when I put on music to play through the receiver, it gets cut off when the monitor goes to sleep. Movies aren't a problem because MPC-HC prevents monitor turn off.

e: err, thought this was the Windows 10 thread... I am using Windows 10, btw.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Manic X posted:

My computer clock is an hour behind the actual time, and if I set it to the right time, it resets to the wrong time when I restart my computer. Any ideas for a fix?

Is your time-zone set correctly?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Swiftkey on Android has a nice feature that searches for emoji when you type something and suggests the appropriate emoji. So, like, if you type "OK," it suggests:

I was just thinking that something similar for Windows would be sweet. I often find myself looking up the alt-code for something like the em dash (—, aka ALT-0151). It would be cool if there was software that auto suggested symbol insertions.

Is there anything like that out there? I suppose I could whip up something with a text expander tool of some sort...

I would love a tool like that when I'm working in word.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

mike12345 posted:

What are you guys using for photo editing? I don't want to spend much, so I'm looking at GIMP and Paint.net. I know GIMP and have used it before, but know zilch about Paint.net. Any good? Most of the stuff I do is pretty basic, maybe touch up the colors, contrast, lighting.

Paint.net is a little easier to use than gimp, but it is pretty limited. It is more "what if mspaint wasn't a piece of poo poo" and less "photoshop but free". I use Paint.net for quick stuff and GIMP when I need to do fancier things.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Music Brainz Picard is the best I've found. It is almost like a magic wand, but it is best if you run it semi-automatically rather than just throwing every mp3 into it at once. I usually run it one artist at a time so I can comprehend the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

So far we have yet to demonstrate a vulnerability with KeePass files sitting on some sort of storage array akin to what LastPass can suffer.

Of course it's just easier to live with LastPass I guess. We can ignore these problems that don't affect other solutions. :allears:

This is all the warning you need to stop using TrueCrypt and its derivatives. There's a reason why the developer removed the source code and only provided decryption utilities.

Your criteria is worthless.

Tell us the reason, don't leave us in suspense!