Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need to wipe a laptop in order for it to be disposed of/sold. What is the best way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Red_Fred posted:

I need to wipe a laptop in order for it to be disposed of/sold. What is the best way to do this?

Do you have install media?
Make sure you have a valid license key, backup or redownload the hardware drivers, delete the drive partitions and reinstall fresh. If you're paranoid about your super-important data being scraped you can zero the drive first.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Entropic posted:

Do you have install media?
Make sure you have a valid license key, backup or redownload the hardware drivers, delete the drive partitions and reinstall fresh. If you're paranoid about your super-important data being scraped you can zero the drive first.

Unless he's selling the laptop with an OS, I'd just use DBAN on it to zero it out. I see no reason to reinstall unless it's being sold as such.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Sometimes when I start certain applications like FileZilla or Mumble it just hangs for awhile til the app opens up. Seems like it might be related to the app checking for an update. Any idea why this might be happening?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I need, preferably free, software that wool play bluray discs. My uncle bought, I guess, an OEM bluray drive for his laptop. So naturally it didn't come with software to play bluray. Any suggestions on what to get?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm pretty sure VLC works. MPC-whatever probably does too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hooah posted:

I'm pretty sure VLC works. MPC-whatever probably does too.

Really? I thought nothing but paid for software could decode blurays. The only free solution I can think of is using the MakeMKV beta to rip them, but that's not exactly the most friendly solution for a quick play.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a friend's MacBook Pro Hard Drive that I suspected might be bad so I replaced it, but the MacBook still isn't booting up so I'm no longer sure it's the hard drive.

I have her old hard drive pulled out and plugged into a USB dock and want to run a diagnostic on it, but WinDFT, DLDiag and CrystalDiskInfo don't seem to support it since it's formatted EFI.

Any recommendations for HDD diag programs I can use to test over USB without having to plug it into my PC itself (which would involve dust and work).

Edit - Looks like Seatools recognizes it along with Fujitsu's.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 6, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What is your preferred email program that is not Mozilla Thunderbird. Preferably something that could import my accounts and filters from Thunderbird. I have over half dozen email accounts to keep track of and use a lot of filters.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody remember/have suggestions for a program that could run processes in terms of sorting/renaming/moving/deleting files? I used one a couple years ago that I found here, but can't think of the name or how to google for it.

I've got about 20 gb of stuff I need to move into one big folder. Currently there are tons of subfolders and .json files I need to delete, while moving all the image files into a different folder.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 6, 2015

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

wormil posted:

What is your preferred email program that is not Mozilla Thunderbird. Preferably something that could import my accounts and filters from Thunderbird. I have over half dozen email accounts to keep track of and use a lot of filters.

Outlook 2013

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

wormil posted:

I bought Postbox at one point. Although I suppose the gotcha there is that it's a Thunderbird fork that costs money.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wormil posted:

What issue are you having with Thunderbird? That could help narrow down what others might be useful.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nintendo Kid posted:

What issue are you having with Thunderbird? That could help narrow down what others might be useful.

It's unstable, crashes frequently, and slows down my computer while running. Hard to believe, but true. The problem started a couple years ago and has progressively gotten worse. I've never liked Thunderbird and would rather just find something else than fix the problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Weird. The only problem I've had with Thunderbird is some filters just don't do anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hooah posted:

Weird. The only problem I've had with Thunderbird is some filters just don't do anything.

Filters in Thunderbird are something of an art which is another reason I don't like it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

My filezilla ftp server has been pretty crash prone lately and I don't feel like troubleshooting it. Are there any other decent ftp servers out there?

E: I found freeftpd but anyone know how to share folders? I have 1 ftp user and I'd like to share 2 folders with them.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 7, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

wormil posted:

Gmail or outlook.com.

This is not intended to be a shitpost. E-mail is pretty much neglected on the desktop these days.

Thunderbird continues because that's all it is, but Mozilla is letting it be because of the existence of services like Gmail and outlook.com, and they're spending most of their effort on Firefox and HTML5 apps these days. Outlook is Exchange-first and only doesn't become Exchange-only because they'd get set on fire. And OS-native clients like Apple Mail or Windows Surface Metro Store Mail or ... I guess Evolution on some Linux toolkits?, regardless of which you pick, leave you stuck with that OS.

It might not even be Thunderbird's problem: keep in mind that a Microsoft account via IMAP is viable but dog-slow, and something (probably many companies' things) like a Yahoo account is technically IMAP compatible at some price levels but more or less intentionally sets itself up to fail so you'll use their webmail version or phone app. And POP3 is not record-safe so never use it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 7, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And POP3 is not record-safe so never use it.

I have no idea what this means. I've been using pop3 for over 20 years with no issues.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wormil posted:

I have no idea what this means. I've been using pop3 for over 20 years with no issues.

But why are you still using it when IMAP's been available nearly as long?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

wormil posted:

Either no backups of e-mail or you end up with repeats of e-mail, no access history, in general nothing you would actually expect from a client-server model. POP3 is stone-age without the durability of the stone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Either no backups of e-mail or you end up with repeats of e-mail, no access history, in general nothing you would actually expect from a client-server model. POP3 is stone-age without the durability of the stone.

I don't need any of that. Like I said, 20 years, no issues. My approach is stone age. I get an email, I deal with it, I delete it. Sometimes I keep it for awhile but I don't need archival. I only check email on my desktop. I don't want it following me around, I don't want to check it on vacation or while I'm at the doctor's office. (Okay, I admit that I check my primary business email while on vacation) I resisted having a cell phone for a long time after they were common, and resisted having a smart phone for an even longer time. I don't even own a laptop. I like my woolly mammoths medium rare.

Thunderbird is okay, I don't like it but I don't hate it. If I have to I will uninstall/reinstall and maybe that will fix the problems. I just figured that by now there would be something better. I tried Live Mail for the first time in about five years and remembered why I hate it. I'm actually looking at Outlook.com but I'm not anxious to have an online client.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Honestly if you're still doing a POP3 workflow, Thunderbird's likely to have the best support out of any email software that still runs on a modern operating system. Outlook and so on have mostly moved on and treat it as a total legacy feature.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
http://www.emclient.com/ is kind of alright, but I haven't used it in ages.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Honestly if you're still doing a POP3 workflow, Thunderbird's likely to have the best support out of any email software that still runs on a modern operating system. Outlook and so on have mostly moved on and treat it as a total legacy feature.

Maybe I can adapt. For the most part I want one client that can handle many email accounts while categorizing them into work and personal (as opposed to by email address). On my work accounts I sometimes get sizable files, not sure how an online system like outlook.com would handle those, maybe just fine.

37th Chamber posted:

I looked at that, promising, going to try some free options first since my needs are relatively modest.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

37th Chamber posted:

This is the best desktop mail client that I've used so far that natively supports the Google ecosystem, although it has a rather glaring omission of threaded conversations. Supposedly it's slated for their next update though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have a very specific need for a very small tool that hooks into Windows, and since I have no idea how hooking into Windows works, I hope maybe someone else had this need and already made it.
I want to log the title of a program's window (it conveys some info, and the changes are so abrupt because it isn't functioning correctly, but I also need that info to fix it) whenever it changes.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

I have a very specific need for a very small tool that hooks into Windows, and since I have no idea how hooking into Windows works, I hope maybe someone else had this need and already made it.
I want to log the title of a program's window (it conveys some info, and the changes are so abrupt because it isn't functioning correctly, but I also need that info to fix it) whenever it changes.

I would imagine you could do this in a few lines with AutoHotKey by initializing a variable with the window's title and then looping WinGetTitle once a second or whatever and writing to a file if the return value varies (and potentially updating the variable).

e: You should set the loop interval as appropriate based on the duration the title remains changed, around 1/2 would work well.

Read fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 7, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SEKCobra posted:

Knocked something up, I could expand on it if it's not enough (it's pretty basic) - if you need it to log to a file I can add that. I thought I'd share something to start with in case it was urgent, I'm not sure of the exact use case.

The interface should be pretty obvious. Click the "select window" button and then.. click on the window you want to log the title changes for. It's easy to test with your browser, for example; select that and then switch between tabs.

If you're familiar at all with AutoIT, the exact code that has been compiled is also in the zip, so you're welcome to expand on it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 7, 2015

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HalloKitty posted:

Knocked something up, I could expand on it if it's not enough (it's pretty basic) - if you need it to log to a file I can add that. I thought I'd share something to start with in case it was urgent, I'm not sure of the exact use case.

The interface should be pretty obvious. Click the "select window" button and then.. click on the window you want to log the title changes for. It's easy to test with your browser; for example, select that and then switch between tabs.

If you're familiar at all with AutoIT, the exact code that has been compiled is also in the zip, so you're welcome to expand on it.

Woah, that's very generous of you, this is exactly what I needed. I am trying to figure out why POCSAG decoding isn't working, and PDW shows that it is actually decoding *something* everytime I receive a signal, but it doesn't add it to the result list, so now I can figure out what it decodes and move on to figuring out why it doesn't 'write' anything down.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Are there any good free options for a fan speed controller on windows 8? Right now I have the software that came with my motherboard, A-tuning.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ItBurns posted:

Are there any good free options for a fan speed controller on windows 8? Right now I have the software that came with my motherboard, A-tuning.

speedfan used to be all the rage, but I never really thought it was that great, Mobo tools usually work best anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Same for 3.4.2, but there's a version in between that doesn't allow you to disable the ads. Possibly 3.4.0.

When installing, have your network connection disabled, because it will update before you've got the chance to uncheck that option otherwise.

After that, turn it into a portable install so you can easily move it over to a new computer if ever so desired.

I don't need the scheduler myself, so I'll probably try to something else at some point soon.
Doesn't 3.4.2 have ads and that's the one that silently installed the litecoin miner?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn't 3.4.2 have ads and that's the one that silently installed the litecoin miner?

that is a retarded amount of work for a torrent client, just install deluge or qbtorrent or something

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gyshall posted:

that is a retarded amount of work for a torrent client, just install deluge or qbtorrent or something
I installed qBittorrent and couldn't get it to restart some old torrents.

Went with the last build of uTorrent 3.4.1, no issues whatsoever. Just click "Decline offer" during installation when it asks to install Yahoo toolbar.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Josh Lyman posted:

Originally, yes, apparently. In the same week or so, they released a version with the same number that didn't. At the time of posting (march wtf josh) I accidentally upgraded to that, and whatever I said back then goes for that one.

I guess with the possible confusion and the fact that you probably aren't going to be getting that version from the official site anymore, please don't go looking for that version specifically. But I'm running it trouble free to this day (ie haven't had it open since more likely).

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I installed qBittorrent and couldn't get it to restart some old torrents.

Went with the last build of uTorrent 3.4.1, no issues whatsoever. Just click "Decline offer" during installation when it asks to install Yahoo toolbar.

Were you trying to restart incomplete torrents that were originally started with uTorrent? Last I remember, uTorrent added an extension to incomplete files and/or places them in a special incomplete folder, which is just enough to stop another torrent program from immediately recognizing an incomplete download.

I honestly see a decent reason why anyone would support the utter filth uTorrent has become, it is pure garbage loaded with far too many ads. The pro upgrade is beyond retarded, $20 per year??? WTF???? Don't use this program, don't support the developers, get a real torrent program not a damned advertising platform.

On a side note, as if the developers wanted to piss me off just a little more, I agreed to download the "full movie" Mythica. . . but the torrent it provided is only a trailer.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 11, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Crotch Fruit posted:

I honestly see a decent reason why anyone would support the utter filth uTorrent has become, it is pure garbage loaded with far too many ads. The pro upgrade is beyond retarded, $20 per year??? WTF???? Don't use this program, don't support the developers, get a real torrent program not a damned advertising platform.
I completely agree with this. Why would you use the known scummy option, even if you can (hopefully) sanitize it? It has name recognition from a decade ago when it had groundbreaking features like 'not lovely slow', but that is about it.

:tinfoil: If you do any :filez:, which client do you think is most likely to be a partner in some kind of BSA/MPAA/whatever monitoring program?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

taqueso posted:

:tinfoil: If you do any :filez:, which client do you think is most likely to be a partner in some kind of BSA/MPAA/whatever monitoring program?

The powers that be don't really need a client backdoor when the BitTorrent protocol inherently broadcasts to the whole world what you're seeding :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

repiv posted:

The powers that be don't really need a client backdoor when the BitTorrent protocol inherently broadcasts to the whole world what you're seeding :shrug:

Does it actually do that if you are using full encryption and private tracker and not using the DHT/peer exchange type features? Seriously asking. I think that the traffic patterns will be pretty clearly bittorrent and I assume it will be trivially vulnerable to MITM because I don't think any clients will notice if the key changes.