Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I recall hearing, here and there, bits and pieces about the (often ridiculous) locker room rules/etiquette that the WWE, and wrestling in general, tends to have (An example being that when a new wrestler meets a veteran for the first time, the rookie introduces himself, and then the veteran does, and then the rookie must call the veteran by whatever name he used to introduce himself). Have these 'rules' ever been compiled anywhere? And if not, what has anyone heard about how things are supposedly done in the locker room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Rarity posted:

Mike Sanders :(

No, that seems to be a case of 'Sanders was shaking hands with everyone and would have gladly shaken hands with HHH but he had the bad luck of not noticing him' rather than a 'proper' breach of etiquette (by logical standards, we all know wrestlers have proven they are anything BUT logical). Though I didn't find any stories about 'The Court' going back 40 pages.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So, we have 'shake hands' and the possible name thing. Anyone else heard/know of any other locker room 'rules'?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Where would I order Raven's Secrets of the Ring DVD? It sounds interesting and I doubt I can find it in a $10 bin at Wal-Mart.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

The strange this is that Russo was consistently dreadful for his whole career. He started doing a dirtsheet/ Radio show that was sub lords of pain, he ended up working for WWE magazine which under his reign was terrible, He ended up becoming the booker for Raw and while we look back fondly on those years everything that didn't involve a main event star was fairly terrible but fit into their new theme of a show and then he went to WCW and was dreadful there to a new level because for the first time he was given a free reign and wasn't being filtered. Then he decided that he was a Christian now and he was forgiven, writing two terrible autobiographies in which he blamed everyone else for everything he did and pretended to be holier than though while still writing horrible, racist, sexist poo poo for TNA and his two show promotion Ring of Glory.

In a way it's sort of admirable. He's made an entire career out of being an obnoxious, over confident, delusional fuckwit of no discernible talent.

That actually reminds me of something. I've heard more than once that Russo got started in the business because he ran a local radio show about wrestling in New York in the early 90's and he had a co-host whose name I can't remember. This was during the steroid trials, and supposedly this co-host railed on Vince and the McMahons so hard and so viciously every week that Vince supposedly hired Russo to shut the co-host up and make it a WWE-focused show, and when the show ended Russo got a job with WWE Magazine and it went from there. I've always wondered what would be SO bad that Vince would supposedly bribe someone into shutting up: Wikipedia just says Russo ran a wrestling show and got his job at WWE Magazine by writing Linda McMahon a letter, which could be anything from an undertold truth to a complete lie.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

That was John Arezzi and it was steroid/sex scandal stuff.

A slight follow up: was he just presenting the facts/rumors or was he viciously editorializing in the vein of 'These people are SCUM. They deserve to be in JAIL'?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

All right. There was a wrestling magazine in the mid-late 90's that, following kayfabe, did these unique 'what if' stories about semi-impossible matches. I remember it specifically because many of them, especially in retrospect, were highly absurd, on the verge of published fanfiction, and I thought of doing a thread about it. The thing is, for the life of me, I cannot remember what the hell this magazine was called. I thought I still had an old copy buried in my magazine collection, but I was wrong. So, does anyone remember this magazine, so I can see if there's any information about it and its bizzare what-if stories online rather than going solely by my hazy memories? Some of the What Ifs included:

- Kevin Nash and Scott Hall against the Fake Diesel and Razor Ramon (See, in this story they were REALLY mad Vince made imposters of them)
- Stone Cold vs Roddy Piper (In which Austin gets the match by dressing up as a clown and stalking Piper and his kid)
- Triple H vs Shawn Michaels (This was several months post WM 14, when Shawn was thought to be out of the business entirely. It also presented HHH's old kayfabe character of him being loaded as being reality, which is important because part of the story (which is REALLY blackly amusing considering what we/I know about Vince now) is Vince deciding that he wants to sell the WWE and HHH wants to buy it)
- Several more, including a supposed WWF vs WCW match that included a shark tank and a trampoline.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I heard a bunch of wrestlers hated him when he got clean since he started calling up peoples wives and telling them what their husbands did on the road.

I really hope this isn't true, because drat it, I'm getting sick of hearing stories of people who are born again and promptly turn around and go "I'm going to MORALLY JUDGE THE poo poo OUT OF YOU."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Matt Hardy. Somehow, Lita cheating on him with Edge led to him being fired while Edge got the biggest push of his career. Wrestling is weird like that.

Hardy took it REALLY badly and complained about it a ton online (even after the company told him not to): Edge was more professional about it and rolled with it when fans started using it against him and managed to turn it into legit heat. It's poor Lita who REALLY came out of it badly in a sense: the fans harassed her for being a 'slut' so hard she basically retired because of it. Somehow I'm not surprised it was Lita who never stopped being insulted over it (until she retired anyway: when she made her one night returns a few years later the fans had finally put it behind them. Switching to PG probably helped. Oh god, now I'm remembering the 'live sex celebration'...)

Anyway, poking through Ric Flair's book, and he's recounting a story when he wrestled in a foreign country when everyone thought it was real and when Roddy Piper tried to cheat to help him win soldiers of the regime (it was one of THOSE countries) actually aimed their GUNS at him, and not in a joking 'You stop that!' manner, but in a legit 'I believe this is all real and you are cheating my home country's hero and I am going to murder you for it', and I've realized that a lot of the older-school wrestlers have all these stories which is basically 'And so we had to fight our way to the dressing room/we had to flee the arena under cover of darkness/somehow we got through the crowd of fans who were so riled up they were about to attempt a lynching' and so on. The storytellers present it as segments of a lost era that demonstrates that modern wrestling is 'lacking' something (Do you think today's fans would have tried to swarm the ring and kill Randy Orton had he cheated to beat Daniel Bryan?): to me it's something from a bygone era that should be as dead and buried as possible. My question is this: are there any stories where this DIDN'T end with 'And the heels escaped from the crowd they'd angered so much'? I have a feeling these kind of tales wouldn't provoke so mucb nostalgia if there was a story or two where a wrestler ended up murdered because he did his job too well. Bruiser Brody does not count: he was killed by a fellow wrestler and it happened backstage.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Psychotic white trash have always been the best wrestling fans.

I don't think you understand what being a good fan actually means.

Here's a question: since around 2000, has there been a feud or big match where HHH lost completely, and where he didn't get his win back later, or downplay it, or generally do everything he could to make it look like the loss affected him?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Something a friend asked me: Is there a particular reason that a moonsault is called a moonsault?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

For those who don't remember, apply everything that people say about HHH, and add "can't work a match to save his life," and you've effectively summarized the collective opinion of the year 2000's internet on BikerTaker.

Oh god, now I'm remembering good ol' Scott Keith's commentary after his review of the Undertaker/Kurt Angle match at a July PPV in 2000. Kurt had just debuted and was doing well, Taker was Bikertaker, and Keith was Keith: he called Undertaker 'Kevin Nash' in every way he could during the review, and after Undertaker won, busted out this gem of seething smark rage.

Scott Keith circa 2000 posted:

"Retire now, you crippled, has been, slow-moving, fried-food eating, motorcyle-riding, no-selling, tobacco-chewing, no-money-drawing, talentless piece of selfish poo poo. Kurt Angle is the future, you are NOTHING. Deal with it. And take Kane with you when you go. I’m sure the idiot rubes will cry and Ask the Rick where you went again for six months the next time you leave, but I’ll be happy to see you gone for good, where you can’t drag down any more PPVs."

I think, subconsciously, when I was reading that, was my very first inklings that big name fans were utterly full of poo poo.

(Ask The Rick was a column on Keith's then-website where people would ask the columnist questions, and apparently while Taker was gone from September 1999 to May 2000 rehabbing injuries they asked where he was a lot)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okay, just so we're clear.

It is impossible for Vince to be forced out of his position because he has arranged it that he always has a majority of stock, correct? The board of directors and Triple H and stuff cannot unite their shares and force him out, and since Vince is never going to retire, he's going to be in charge of WWE until he dies. There is absolutely no way for him to be fired. Correct? That's the situation?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

why is the inverted atomic drop not a dq for bustin' balls

It amazes me that the original atomic drop not only didn't involve falling on the knee, but was considered a finisher. Yes, the idea of picking someone up and slamming them down on their feet as hard as possible was considered a finisher, under the basis of it induced jellylegs and hence people could be held down for a pin.

In the era of Murder Backdrops and Tiger Driver 91's (and worse).....astonishing.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I'm pretty sure you drop them butt first on your knee, thus shattering their spine

No, apparently the very first version was just 'drop someone on their feet as hard as possible'. The knee addition came later when that stopped being impressive.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So, what was Hogan doing in the few months before his heel turn and founding the NWO? It seems they were smart enough to keep him mostly off TV to maximize impact.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

AlmightyPants posted:

Where is the rest of this list of scummy wrestling stories because I am dying of laughter from that one.

Today is your lucky day! I have them saved on a file tucked away. Note these are about 7-12 years out of date now.

Behold the biggest crock of likely lies and whoknowshowmuch truth in all of internet wrestling fandom.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 28, 2015

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

The entire document can be summed up as "Every man in wrestling is a drug addict, alcoholic, psychopath, and gay. Every woman in wrestling is a drug addict and a prostitute."

You left out 'sexual deviant' and 'fascinated with poo poo'.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Man, amongst all the grossness there's some really amusing stories in that list.

Sleazy Stories posted:

206. The gimmick was that Ron Fuller put his boat on the line in a match. I do not think Fuller was wrestling but anyway none the less, Garvin won the match and "won" the boat. Garvin had a legit blow up with Fuller. Garvin tells Fuller he is keeping the boat. Fuller sues Garvin in court for the return of the boat. To keep kayfabe Fuller has to admit under oath wrestling is real and the results are not predetermined. Fullers testifies that Garvin won the match and one of the conditions of the match was the winner gets the boat. The Judge throws out the suit because Garvin won the match fair and square, Fuller ends up losing the boat.

It's like the comedy version of how Mr. Wrestling, injured in the same plane crash that injured Ric Flair and retired Johnny Valentine, checked himself out of the hospital and went to wrestle in insane pain/risk of further injury so fans wouldn't believe the 'rumors' that Valentine and Flair had been pulled out of the same plane, because they were mortal enemies on screen and kayfabe was so strong then that being exposed to the truth would have killed the territory. By wrestling, Mr. Wrestling gave plausible deniability (See! No plane crash! Separate incidents! Mr. Wrestling is right here, after all!) to the rumors, and was willing to suffer the pain and risk because the business just worked that way then. Really, I don't care how great the folks like Jim Cornette makes it sound; I'm glad those days of wrestling are dead. I'd rather Roman Reigns be heavily booed then risk death by crazed mob.

Then there's this.

Sleazy Stories posted:

223. Chris Hamrick had 1001 Ricky Morton stories & I think I heard this one also. We could have an entire 30 page thread about nothing but Ricky Morton stuff. There is an amusing story about the R&R getting all drunk in Charlotte and seducing some petite stripper from a local club to come back to their hotel room. The stripper is somehow smart enough to stay sober and gets Ricky & Robert to get naked first. Once they disrobed, the stripper found out that Robert was pretty well hung, and would probably cripple her if he hit it, and the boys seemed pretty intent on nailing her at the same time. She then convinced them to go into the bathroom to put on condoms, and fled the scene when they shut the bathroom door. The R&R came out of the toilet to find that the stripper had run off, but not with their money. They looked at each other for about 10 min, and then pushed the two beds in the hotel room to opposite sides so they could sleep with their asses pressed against the walls of the room.

This just makes me scratch my head. Are they insinuating that wrestlers who have had their sex drives worked up would be so intent to have sex they'd resort to anal rape?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Benne posted:

So I came across Halloween Havoc '97 and had never seen the main event finish before, when the fan climbed into the cage and got beat up by Hogan/Savage. Was this an actual unplanned thing or another one of WCW's lame attempts at a worked shoot?

That was a real run in by an actual fan in a Sting mask: since the announcers were never clued in on stuff that was going to happen beforehand, they had no idea it wasn't part of the show.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

This is sort of a wrestling question: I want to start a blog and write opinion based columns on wrestling things. Is there any particular site (in a tumblr or Blogspot sense) people would recommend for such an endeavor?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What is the all-time best ladder match?

Honestly, this might be kind of hipster-ish, but I have two choices (in terms of those put on by WWE).

1) The original TLC at Summerslam 2000. I feel it took everything special from the Triangle Ladder Match from Wrestlemania 16/2000 and did it just the right amount of better. No multi man ladder match ever really recaptured the spark that one had, despite many efforts (including TLC 2). And

2) The very first WWE Ladder match between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

This one.

Is Michaels vs Ramon better? Yes...but IIRC, Michaels vs Ramon was a case of 'Shawn and Hall did a bunch of ladder matches at house shows leading to Wrestlemania X, and then put all the best bits together for their Wrestlemania match'. This is a perfectly valid tactic (Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat did basically the same thing), but there's just something very NEW about the Bret vs Shawn match, which wasn't per-rehearsed a bunch of times. So I nudge it JUSSSSTTT above Michaels vs Razor.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm going to see WWE RAW on Monday and I haven't really paid attention to what's going on in WWE since Wrestlemania XV. What's the best place to find out a summary of the main storylines that are going on at the moment?

A little expanding on Roman Reigns.

When the Shield was formed, Reigns was the 'in-house' talent trained solely under the WWE banner, while Rollins and Ambrose came in from working 'the Indies'. This means that the latter two have more experience and practice than Reigns at a lot of wrestling stuff, but the guy who runs WWE, Vince McMahon, has a mad-on for 'home grown' talent (so he and his can take credit for it), which is also why Daniel Bryan suffered the issues Mr. rear end mentioned. The Shield covered Reigns' weaknesses well (the other two would do the bulk of the wrestling and talking and Reigns came in to do explosive bursts), so Reigns started getting over and the WWE decided he was going to be their next 'The Guy' (Ie, their next Hogan, Steve Austin, Rock, etc). So Reigns did a bunch of stuff that made him look impressive, and the crowd was more or less okay with him and there was potential for him to grow into a top guy.

Then the Shield broke up, and Reigns no longer had two talented indy wrestlers to cover his weaknesses. So he basically went right into main eventing or upper card matches; just how successful he was was arguable. Then he suffered a hernia and missed three months of action. When he returned, they immediately resumed plans to make him THE GUY, except Vince McMahon seemingly did this by micromanaging the hell out of him, trying to remake him as a clone of John Cena, giving him terrible promos where he quoted Loony Toons cartoons and Jack the Beanstalk, and generally exposing that he was not ready for carrying the whole card, and the crowd wanted Daniel Bryan instead. But Vince wanted Reigns, and he forced the issue, and as a result the crowd, which is now generally familiar with what's happening backstage unless they're a kid, has turned on Reigns and either boos him or is apathetic towards him.

So if you see a guy come up who is presented as 'a big deal' yet the crowd seems to hate or not give a crap about him, that's Reigns, and that's why.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Did Shawn Michaels debut his 'hearts on tights' style of pants (switching from 'random patterns') at Wrestlemania 10?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

Wasn't it really Angelo they wanted in? That's part of how WCW got Savage in the first place iirc, and it drove Gordon Solie away for good.

Okay, I'm curious. Why?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

TL posted:

While Bret had every right to refuse to do that job, would one job in Canada have damaged Bret at all? I'd figue by that point he was over enough for long enough that even a clean job on the way out wouldn't have done him any harm.

The Montreal Screwjob was really the perfect storm: Bret only invoked his creative control because Shawn was such an (alleged) power-tripping (and maybe drug addicted) rear end in a top hat who went around talking about how he would NEVER do ANY jobs, including to Bret, and all the previous issues they had, like when they'd gotten into a fistfight back in June. If Shawn had had his back injury six months earlier and someone else, let's say Vader, had to be slotted in to take his place, I am fairly certain (as close as someone in my position can really be) that Bret would have dropped the title in Montreal and moved on. Hell, I suspect that if Shawn had still been a drug-addicted rear end in a top hat but been professional with Bret, he would have dropped the title to him in Montreal.

Really, it had nothing to do with jobbing in Canada; it had everything to do with dropping it to a man Bret couldn't stand and who had gone out of his way to provoke Hart and ensure Hart couldn't stand him. It might be 'tradition' to go out on your back, but Bret's contract gave him creative control and he got put in a situation where he decided to use it. I would bet money that in another world where it wasn't Shawn Michaels who had operated as he did, Bret would have put over whoever beat him and moved on with zero drama.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Great White Hope posted:

Lots of wrestling companies are run by people who view wrestling as a hobby rather than a business, which is an automatic disadvantage against any goal of not losing money. This probably makes it even harder to make money for those trying to because there's a limited talent pool of people who can actually draw, and these people tend to be smart enough to pick a bigger payday (which a hobbyist will offer) than a smaller one (like a businessman would), driving up expenses in general.

Is it wrong that one of the things I'd want to do if I got sustainably rich is run an indy fed where I'd pay the guys well and get good equipment so they could try and learn a few things about their craft and not kill themselves or others?

Then again knowing the business they'd probably see me as a 'money mark' and hold me in contempt, especially if I could only get like six people to come and watch the show.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Looking at that bump really drives home the balance of good and bad luck Foley had. The bad luck was that it broke partially beforehand and hence Foley went straight through instead of it partially detaching and letting him roll. The good luck was that Undertaker was working on a broken ankle and hence couldn't get Foley fully up for the chokeslam, so he just sort of tossed him backwards, and hence Foley didn't rotate backwards more as he fell and land on his neck/head, which probably would have killed him.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Thauros posted:

How many retirement matches has Terry Funk had by now?

Why the hell won't Funk retire? I don't think it's a Ric Flair 'lived too fast too long and hence is buried under debt he will never escape' reason. Is it the (admittedly worse) 'I did this literally my whole life and without it I just don't feel like I'm alive' reason?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

But Adonis & Dusty were able to take those bad gimmicks and make it work. Red Rooster was a poo poo gimmick that didn't work, but they continued to push for like 6 months. Did you know that the Red Rooster was on Hogan's team at the Survivor Series that year?

He was actually on the team opposing Hogan, and the first one eliminated, but still, main event.

And while checking this, I discovered that he basically debuted in August 1988, got the Red Rooster gimmick immediately more or less, and left in June 1990, which meant he had the gimmick for nearly TWO YEARS.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Never saw this myself, but one time when Big Show was holding the now defunct hardcore championship he apparently came out wearing the belt as a wristwatch.

The way that even today everyone declares they're going to win the Royal Rumble even though at least 26 of them doing so would likely make anyone laying bets rich makes me think: the Royal Rumble should be something that is bad to be eliminated from, and more wrestlers should have more negative reactions when their hopes and dreams fail. What are the best negative rumble reactions that didn't play into storylines, like Michaels losing the 2010 Rumble? Of course, you'll always have the opposite reactions, like one of the Bushwackers getting thrown out as soon as he got in and resuming doing the Bushwacker dance as he left like it wasn't no thing.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

With the recent news over Daniel Bryan's doctor musical chairs to get approval to return from his concussion, has there been any news about the original problem (his neck surgery/weak arm) that put him out for months the first time? Has he finally gotten that all straightened out?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So, based on what we know about Bryan Danielson's retirement injury, is this the kind of injury where he could take a few years off and then come back and maybe wrestle at special shows every now and then, or is this an Edge 'You get back in the ring you could die you're lucky you didn't already die' situation?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Everblight posted:

Is there anyone nowadays still billed from anywhere cool? Even Kane isn't billed from "The Bottomless Pit" anymore, is he? Stardust and Taker (Death Valley, CA), that's it, right? I miss "Deuce and Domino, from The Wrong Side of the Tracks" :(

I'll always have a fondness for The Patriots, who were billed as being from "WCW Special Forces."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

My friend and I were debating this: who do you think best fits the descriptor 'Stout': Rusev, Big E, or Kevin Owens? Like, if you were going to call one of the men stout, who would be most deserving of it? Who fits the word best?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

When Chris Jericho first turned heel in WCW, he did several memorable things (List of 1004 Holds, introducing that cruiserweight battle royale, calling out Goldberg, Ralphus) and some less remembered things (taking trophies from opponents, becoming obsessed with the idea there was a conspiracy against him, using letter of the law loopholes to help himself stay champion, etc). I just randomly remembered that for a time, Jericho did this thing where he came out with different ridiculous hair each match, like a kind of 'fancy crazy messy'. Does anyone recall his reason for doing this? Was one ever given? I know he was doing this at least part of the time Ralphus was around: I remember a picture of Ralphus raising his hand as he made his entrance to defend his title at a PPV.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

This height talk reminds me of a time I went to go see several wrestlers attend a park baseball game in...1997? 1998? Events at the game made the late Davey Boy Smith walk right past me and I was shocked to see I was actually a bit taller than him.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Is there a proper name for the pin where you hook someone's legs (ie what Cesaro does before his swing), and then flip over onto the wrestler, so your back is on his chest and your legs are bridged? I swear it has a technical name like schoolboy, sunset flip, etc, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

all the brothels, pay by the hour hotels, and pachinko parlors.

Is pachinko really considered as bad as the other two? Aren't they basically just slots with a different paintjob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Speaking of reactions...

I recently was listening to some snippets of Jim Cornette, and I was reminded just how much he LOATHES Vince Russo. So much so that he said he was taking steps to outlive him so he can piss on his grave.

I had to wonder, has anyone ever told Cornette in a call-on podcast, or an email, or SOMETHING, does he really want to give Russo that much power over him? Let his rancor dictate his life so much? Yeah, I get it, Cornette's pretty much the ultimate crotchety old man BACK IN MY DAY curmudgeon and is probably prone to exaggeration and overreacting for a show, and I can't see how no one has ever told him this, and yes, the man loves wrestling with all his heart and he feels Russo poisoned the well irrevocably, but still. If Cornette still has respect and Russo doesn't, it seems like something someone should tell the man, even if he ignores it. Because that sort of thing doesn't do anything to Russo: it just makes Cornette look bad.