Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

1. The feeling of a passenger squeezing me for dear life on their first ride as we approach WOT.

Everything about riding a bike is awesome, but not much else remains as poignant as sharing the thrill of riding with someone and completely imparting the same passion for bikes on them as well in the span of 10.5k RPMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

lostleaf posted:

I don't know man... I would let the suv take the lead. Mainly cause I would rather let the suv with the extremely CRAPPY BRAKING to be in front of me rather in back of me. Hell... anyone that drives a suv already rates as a crappy driver in my book at least until I get to know them.

Everyone keeps saying this, but bikes actually have worse braking performance than most cars. The light weight has both positive and negative effects on braking (less mass to stop, but also less traction), but the real problem is your tires. Your one rounded skinny front tire simply can't grip the road as hard as two wide, square car tires.

If you've got a MotoGP bike and they've got a Suburban loaded with kids and soccer equipment, yes, you will stop sooner. But assuming that just because you're on a bike you can stop quicker than any car is dangerous thinking.

For what it's worth, I also automatically give SUV drivers a wide berth.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 12, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

orange lime posted:

Everyone keeps saying this, but bikes actually have worse braking performance than most cars. The light weight has both positive and negative effects on braking (less mass to stop, but also less traction), but the real problem is your tires. Your one rounded skinny front tire simply can't grip the road as hard as two wide, square car tires.

At city speeds where grip isn't an issue, a bike will generally outbrake most cars thanks to having a lot less momentum due to its lower weight. By how much depends on the bike. At high speeds, this does become an issue. Some French car mag was doing 0-200km/h-0 supercar tests and brought a Ducati 1098s in as a ringer, the Duc almost as long to go from 200-0 as it did to 0-200

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
1. Riding, not driving. I knew I would love motorcycles more than cars, but nothing could prepare me for just how much.
2. Sitting in traffic/at a light for just a few moments (long enough to get a little hot) and then getting that blast of air through the helmet and jacket vents when you take off.
3. Gear. I'm sorry, but full armor just looks so drat cool.
4. Talking bikes, but not with HD or Gixxxxers.
5. Feeling like a kid again, but not getting all worn out from peddling like mad.

Keeping my eyes on craigslist. With some luck, I'll have my very own bike by the end of the month!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

At city speeds where grip isn't an issue, a bike will generally outbrake most cars thanks to having a lot less momentum due to its lower weight. By how much depends on the bike. At high speeds, this does become an issue. Some French car mag was doing 0-200km/h-0 supercar tests and brought a Ducati 1098s in as a ringer, the Duc almost as long to go from 200-0 as it did to 0-200

Bikes don't outbrake cars, period. Sportbikes are the worst on the brakes due to short wheelbases and the tendency to roll into a stoppie before breaking traction on the tires. Cruisers and standards are better, with a generally longer wheelbase and a less aggressive weight distribution, but still they require a lot of skill to stop as quickly as possible, given that you must modulate both brakes.

And there's another thing that throws a wrench into this entire comparison. Cars have ABS. You mash the brakes, and the car will stop in the same distance, every time. Bikes require a lot of practice to get 100% braking out of, and even then any minor change in conditions can cause a huge increase in braking distance.

The safety advantage that bikes have is their narrow profile and acceleration. In ideal conditions, they can match most cars on the road. But if there's anything but ideal conditions, the bike's stopping distance will increase dramatically.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

KillerJunglist posted:

3. Gear. I'm sorry, but full armor just looks so drat cool.

Totally agree. I walk around the house in full gear quite often. But when the end of the month comes by and the credit card statement shows up :byodood:

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

orange lime posted:

I had heard somewhere that under ideal conditions, cars can outbrake bikes easy, but under normal conditions not necessarily.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I had heard somewhere that under ideal conditions, cars can outbrake bikes easy, but under normal conditions not necessarily.

Think about all of the things that have to come in to play to get maximum braking out of a motorcycle. You need to squeeze the brakes firmly without locking the wheels up or endoing while keeping the entire contraption balanced on your two skinny little tires.

In a car you just push your big dumb foot down as hard as you can and let the ABS system handle perfect threshold braking for you as your four (relatively) huge tires grab the ground.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

frozenphil posted:

Think about all of the things that have to come in to play to get maximum braking out of a motorcycle. You need to squeeze the brakes firmly without locking the wheels up or endoing while keeping the entire contraption balanced on your two skinny little tires.

In a car you just push your big dumb foot down as hard as you can and let the ABS system handle perfect threshold braking for you as your four (relatively) huge tires grab the ground.

BMW bikes have ABS :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

And most every other high end ST.

However, the physics don't change. Weight shifts to the front which is the skinny tire. There is a minimal amount of road contact. It can only brake so much, ideal conditions or not.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
My favorite so far is that, when I pull into the garage after riding, since I leave the door open to the rest of the house, the entire down-stairs smells like bike.

It's a great smell.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
The awesome simplicity of a bike compared to a car

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
1. Point a to point b will take me about the same amount of time every time I ride it, regardless of the time of day.
2. Stop light chats
3. Understanding why a dog sticks it's head out of a car window
4. Parking on the footpath
5. The cred' for commuting on a bike in rain, hail or shine from anyone who rides.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

My favorite so far is that, when I pull into the garage after riding, since I leave the door open to the rest of the house, the entire down-stairs smells like bike.

It's a great smell.

Adding #6 - the smell of bike in general, your gear smells like it, your shirt smells like it, your desk at work smells like bike because that's where you keep all of our gear when you arrive.

Sir J Savile
May 5, 2009
1. Riding 100 miles to get to work when I live 20 miles away.
2. The focus needed to ride helps everything else switch off.
3. No other distractions when riding like a radio or air conditioning.
4. My gear fits me perfectly and makes me look even more buff.
5. The noise.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
There's something just awesome about using every part of your body to ride a bike. Using all four limbs and the torso to shift the weight around. I feel like the bike is an extension of my body.

In a car, I'm just sitting there. :effort:

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
1.the smell, there something about reeking of sweat, dirt and exhaust fumes that I find awesome.
2.Leaving home and not knowing where I'm going or when I'm coming back
3.The connection between man and machine when things go right both merge into a seamless one
4.The rush, everything is more dangerous on a motorcycle and something about that makes me feel good
5.Little Kids are always in awe of you, it's like being Rossi if only for a few seconds.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
New riders. Went home for lunch and was heading back out and a motorcycle was coming down the street. Some chick on it riding by all :D :D :D :D cheesin it up. Left her left turn signal on for the whole street. Obviously keeping it to the neighborhood and learning. Awesome stuff.

Oh yeah, and I love all the smells you get while out and about riding too.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

lostleaf posted:

There's something just awesome about using every part of your body to ride a bike. Using all four limbs and the torso to shift the weight around. I feel like the bike is an extension of my body.

In a car, I'm just sitting there. :effort:

I had a hard time trying to define what I meant by my number 1 ("riding, not driving"), but this describes it perfectly. I feel like I am one with the machine, as it requires my total attention.

Plus, just shifting and braking makes it look like you totally know what you are doing, especially to the uninitiated.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
In no particular order:

• Walking into a grocery store or something with my high-vis Olympia Phantom suit on and having people stare at me like I'm some kind of weirdo
  • Riding/pulling into gas stations after riding when it's 40 degrees, raining and hailing, and having people stare at me like I'm some kind of weirdo
  • Taking my bike (a 750cc, 500lb low-slung cruiser) off-road and on trails and into places it was never supposed to go
  • Pulling into a motorcycle place full of chromed up and farkled-out Harleys and Goldwings all polished to perfection, while myself and my bike are covered in so much mud that you can't tell what color we are.
  • Hitting the throttle lock, leaning back on the seat bag, kicking up on the highway pegs and watching the world fly by on roads like this

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
1) On ramps
2) On ramps
3) On ramps
4) On ramps
5) Little kids who wave at me from their parents minivans.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So I was sitting at a stop light when all of the sudden I smell something amazing. I look over and BAM Taco truck. Pretty decent tacos too.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

1) On ramps
2) On ramps
3) On ramps
4) On ramps
5) Little kids who wave at me from their parents minivans.

I love staring at people when I pass them just to see if I get a reaction

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tsaven Nava posted:

having people stare at me like I'm some kind of weirdo

In all honesty though, you are some kind of weirdo.

I'm sure I'll have some more to contribute soon as I put my GS850 on the road, but riding it around the block before agreeing to buy it gave me one of the goofiest, widest, happiest looking grins I've ever seen in a mirror. I can't wait to finish up and get riding.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Re: comraderie amongst motorcyclists: I even see that reflected in the comparatively tiny amount of drama and infighting this forum generates vs. its 4-wheeled brother.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Oh, one thing I forgot:

Temperature changes when you ride into a small depression or over a hill or over a lake. When its just on the verge of being too cold to ride with the current gear you have on, the smallest little dip will have a nice pocket of chill that makes you yearn for the next rise. Air temperature is much more dynamic than I expected.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

sklnd posted:

Oh, one thing I forgot:

Temperature changes when you ride into a small depression or over a hill or over a lake. When its just on the verge of being too cold to ride with the current gear you have on, the smallest little dip will have a nice pocket of chill that makes you yearn for the next rise. Air temperature is much more dynamic than I expected.

Here in Phoenix it has been 110+ the last few weeks so I welcome these as well. The farm land around here is a good place to experience these, especially if they have been irrigated recently. I usually plan routes near them to get some brief cooling air.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

sklnd posted:

Oh, one thing I forgot:

yeah but the inverse as also great in the summer when you hit the well shaded valleys and the cold air hit's and cools you off it's magnificent. Ironically I have been sweating my rear end of in a poorly ventilated textile jacket for three years, this year I buy a mesh jacket and we have a extremely cool summer and half the time I'm freezing wearing the mesh. Hopefully were not in for a cold winter I hate cold I should move to SoCal this northeast poo poo sucks.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MrKatharsis posted:

1) On ramps
2) On ramps
3) On ramps
4) On ramps

God yes. I like to just fart around at about 50mph on the curve and then open it right up on the straight. I'm probably never going to get to fly a fighter jet in my lifetime so onramps are a quaint alternative.

8ender fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 14, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

sklnd posted:

Funny, I was thinking of that on my current trip. Heading up North, you're trucking along a 2 lane highway, and then you hit a patch of trees, and the temperature suddenly drops a bit.

Of course, in my case, the sun was going down as well, so it wasn't too long before it was a bit too cold with just a jacket & short sleeve shirt.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

sklnd posted:

Oh, one thing I forgot:

I got a big contrast on that last summer...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....449463&t=h&z=8

from Buffalo to Tensleep, the mountains were cool, almost chilly, even with my rain gear, but by the time we were out of the mountains into Tensleep, it had to have been at least 100 degrees. Hit me like a ton of bricks.

broadwayLamb
Apr 3, 2009

1. Leaning into turns, feels like flying

2. Fresh air on a nice crisp day

3. Smooth, twisty, empty back roads (preferably with good visibility)

4. Seeing other sport bikes out there, I love sport bikes...they are just beautiful machines

5. Acceleration

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

sigtrap posted:

Re: comraderie amongst motorcyclists: I even see that reflected in the comparatively tiny amount of drama and infighting this forum generates vs. its 4-wheeled brother.

To add to the camaraderie aspect: When you are having bike troubles and lots of people that walk by will at least stop to see if there's anything they can do, whether they will necessarily be able to help or not. Restores what little faith I have left for humanity.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Pvt. Public posted:

To add to the camaraderie aspect: When you are having bike troubles and lots of people that walk by will at least stop to see if there's anything they can do, whether they will necessarily be able to help or not. Restores what little faith I have left for humanity.

- The look of pure gratitude from the stranded biker when I stop to see if they need help and have a full toolbox in my trunk.

- Discovering that he is a machinist and has swapped a GPZ750 engine into his rat/cafe KZ650

- Getting his business card and a promise of a free rescue or spare engine for my bike if I ever need it.

- Fist pumping when we finally got it started

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

8ender posted:

- The look of pure gratitude from the stranded biker when I stop to see if they need help and have a full toolbox in my trunk.

- Fist pumping when we finally got it started

That's the truth. God I was so excited when my bike fired right up after messing with it for 30 minutes to no avail. I told the guy that I'll buy him beer anytime he asks.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

broadwayLamb posted:

4. Seeing other sport bikes out there, I love sport bikes...they are just beautiful machines

Best sport bike description I ever heard was from William Gibson where he says they look like "Bright enamel scorpions".

broadwayLamb
Apr 3, 2009

^^^^
That is a good description. They make me think of wasps. I remember the first time I saw a modern sport bike with an under seat exhaust I was just blown away. I didn't even know anything about bikes at the time...just that it was the coolest machine I'd ever seen.

Edit:

broadwayLamb fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 16, 2009

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

1) Random temperature changes on the road

2) Empty highways lit by the moon in the middle of nowhere

3) The way a new set of tires feel on their first ride, its almost as if the bike itself is having fun.

4) The way my old Hawk roars on deceleration

5) The way pedestrians react to you when you wave to them for no reason.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
1: That fat v-twin growl when you roll the throttle open at 4000 rpm.
2: Accelerating out of a corner and feeling the bike pick the front tire up out of the turn and plop it back down upright.
3: Catching a big fat wasp right in the center of your visor.
4: Having a better looking, faster vehicle than almost everybody, with better gas mileage, but only spending as much as a new Yaris costs.
5: Feeling like a badass on your commute.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
1.) Splitting through traffic and snickering at all the suckers.
2.) Actually enjoying my commute.
3.) I own four bikes and they cost less combined than my car. And go faster. And get better gas mileage. And cost less combined to insure.
4.) Not using the clutch to up-shift.
5.) That "look" you get from people in cars... you know the one I'm talking about..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
1. I saw a little boy walking with his mother, staring at me stopped at a red light. I waved at him, and he waved shyly back. His mother smiled. I twisted the throttle and let it roar. He almost peed his pants and ducked behind his mom. Then he poked his head out and had a huge grin on his face.

2. I got stuck behind some old lady in a Buick, unable to pass. Another cruiser pulled alongside me. We nodded to each other and continued to putter along for a couple of miles. Finally, the Buick turned off, leaving a long stretch of unobstructed pavement ahead of us. This total stranger and I looked at each other, grinned, and let 'er rip.

3. I spent less, and get the same gas mileage, than that enviro-weenie in the Prius, and I look way cooler.

4. A bumblebee in the kneecap at 80mph feels like a baseball.

5. The sound of Screamin' Eagle pipes echoing under a low stone bridge.

• Locked thread