Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

jojoinnit posted:

Looks like we're done here:

yeah, this guy has a vision of what he wants to believe and not amount of data is ever going to change that. USPS delivers packages on par with the other carriers. I guess he is mad about a letter he sent using basic postage or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Mr. Belding posted:

Last time I went to the DMV I called ahead and it put me in the queue and texted me the approximate time I would be called. I scheduled my drive accordingly. I got stuck in traffic and it texted me that I was up, and if I needed five more minutes I should simply respond "More Time."

I did so, and showed up right in time for my appointment. I was out of there in five minutes flat.

edit: This was Johnson County, Kansas. Don't know why you guys are having so much trouble.

Because the states don't share data and many of them don't have the same system and convenience that you do which was my point. Your experience might have been great, but now try transferring your title and registration to another state. The new system will likely not be able to speak with the old system and you may be stuck printing out a ton of paper work. And since you aren't in the new system, that means more paperwork (that will then be promptly entered into the database by the clerk and filed into a cabinet where it will never be looked at again). Once you have presented at least two separate government issue documents to prove your identity, then you will be able to move forward in the process. Can't afford a passport and drivers license? Better hope your paper social security card doesn't end up in the wash and that your parents bothered to preserve your birth certificate! Because you can't simply get these docs in most states via electronic format.

And the best part of it all is that each state has different procedures and different software to accomplish the same tasks. But no one thinks to try and unify the process so that transition is easier. Maybe this does not affect too many people because they live in the same state they were born in, but I have lived 5 different states, have had to take the written driving exam 3 times, have had to transfer title 4 times because a state will not register a car titled in another state, have had to file for taxes in 8 different jurisdictions (my latest move required me to pay state, county, city, and neighborhood 'luxury' taxes on both of my vehicles), and basically dealt with both extremely streamlined DMVs and extremely inefficient.

The reason I rant is because through all of these experiences, the end result was the same: title and registration just to be legal to drive and park on the streets where I live.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
The USPS doing a good job does not fit the narrative, and any evidence to the contrary must be ignored.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

RhoanAegis posted:

Summary: I don't like Obama, so I'll choose a way to interpret his speech in a way that makes his speech writers appear stupid. Also business owners did everything on their own without any outside help and have a really easy time having their feelings hurt.

Here is my new facebook status:

quote:

What "that" refers to depends on what your definition of "is" is.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

RaySmuckles posted:

Hey! So I'm having difficulty proving a point in a familial debate. My google-fu has failed me. My thesis is that parental income (or wealth) is the largest indicator of a child's financial success. However I can't find any information to back up this claim. My siblings belong to the bootstrap philosophy leading to comments such as, "more millionaires come from broke families than rich families." Now, millionaire is a loaded term. Really I should have avoided millionaire and used "highest tax bracket," "upper class," "1% (lol)," or something similar. Can anyone provide me with any statistical data.

I know we're supposed to submit written statements, but I just felt that what was said was so wrong I had to post it. Any ideas or proof?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socio-economic_mobility_in_the_United_States

Has quite a few sources and I believe paints the picture nicely.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I grew up in northeast Mississippi, the son of two staunch conservatives. I also said "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" with a straight face and identified as Libertarian. After working with hardcore conservatives and libertarians as an engineer in defense contracting, I began to realize how their entire reality was shaped by spite, greed and privilege. I started to realize why Mississippi and the South was so poor. It is sad really, because these poor people think they have it all figured out, but live miserable lives to try and get a taste of the scraps handed to them by the captains of industry, who they worship.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Soonmot posted:

For some reason, maybe payroll taxes, maybe the way federal income tax is taken out of a biweekly check, this actually occurs. And by actually, I mean that checks with lots of overtime on them actually end up being smaller than a non-overtime laden check. Maybe that was an issue with payroll department for the hospital I used to work for, but there were a number of nurses who kept careful tabs on the amount of overtime they worked so their checks weren't magically shrunk.

Then you probably had a lovely payroll department that screwed up withholdings because the tax system simply does not work that way. That or everyone was scared of a myth.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

XyloJW posted:

I live in North Mississippi, and my brother just moved away from Finger, TN. It's pretty hilariously bad.

I am from north MS too and Am so glad I am not there anymore, although my family still is. I live NY now, and my brother called me the other day to tell me about the electrical crews being turned away from Jersey because they are nonunion (false). My kindergarten teacher reminded me that Obama personally killed the Libyan ambassador. A childhood friend made sure to tell me that the media has a liberal bias, because the pointed out that the high education levels found in Northern Virginia meant it would be majority Blue, even though THAT IS 100% TRUE.

Ugh... Oh yeah, some Ole Miss students were apparently riled up and shouting racial slurs into TV cameras today. Stay classy Mississippi!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

sicarius posted:

This makes me happy I live in Middle Tennessee. Sure we have our crazies, but they're moderate crazy. Yeah - the whole mosque thing happened and people shouted at me for being a "sand friend of the family lover", but at least I wasn't assaulted. :smith:

Nashville or Murfreesboro area? Yeah, that is an oasis in the South. I have been trying to find a way to get back there (born outside Nashville) but not much of a tech sector there. But all the things posted on Facebook by all my Southern contemporaries... Just makes me shiver. It is almost all false, or at least deeply, deeply ignorant. It almost pains me to realize that if I were to go back today, I could not possibly converse civilly with these people. It is hard enough to not call my own parents out. Fortunately their political talk pretty much is limited to "I hate Obama (because he is black)" and that leaves me little room to argue.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

XyloJW posted:

This is my brother, he's smart, he will listen to logic, he's just been stuck without internet or tv in the backwoods of Tennessee for 5 years, and he's absorbed all this idiocy. Help me out here.

I don't even understand what the analogy is supposed to be about. It certainly isn't taxes.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Mornacale posted:

Because for a large part of American Christianity, there is no division between religion and politics. Just because Mitt Romney calls himself a Mormon doesn't mean he's a different religion; after all, he's a rich, white man who hates poor people and gays and wants to keep browns and women in their places. So long as he namedrops Jesus, he's the exact same religion as whoever wrote that screed. Obama, on the other hand, is willing to at least pay lip service to social justice and equality, and is himself a black man, so he doesn't count.

I mean, look at that thing. Point #3 is specifically that Christians should recommit themselves to GOD by following the U.S. Constitution. It is straight up saying that religion and reactionary politics are the same thing. It's nothing short of idolatry.

e: Everyone should be careful about trying to argue that the right-wing is less educated, since in practice this is false. After all, the right-wing is overwhelmingly white privileged people, who are by far the most likely to have a good education. Intelligence and education help draw correct conclusions from data, but they also help defend the irrational beliefs that you need to (for example) justify being rich.

It is actually true. I don't have the source on hand (on phone) but look up political party affiliation by education level, and you will see that something like 56% of people with a four year education identify as Democrat, and the split becomes much greater among grad degrees. There is some basis behind the "Ivory Tower Liberal" accusation after all.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Yeah, slightly beaten on this, but it doesn't really matter if more people understand the math behind statistics, as it is a fundamental flaw in the way the human brain perceives and processes information that allows statistics to work as such a misleading tool. At best, we could only educate people to ignore their own derived opinions, but that will never really happen.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Herman Merman posted:

Huh? I think in most developed nations you need to present some form of ID before voting.

These countries, as far as I know, do not have a deep history of using ID as a means to disenfranchise voters. Combine voter ID with a robust national ID program that was targeted at going through great lengths to ensure everyone has free ID. Then maybe you will see stronger support.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I wonder what he would have thought of my friend who wound up in the UoM Medical Center, who was a stripper with fake boobs, a CELLULAR phone, a car, and a refrigerator, who had Medicaid, who DIED OF loving CANCER.

Honestly who cares what a doctor thinks about the source of funding for someone's healing. In fact I think I do care, as any doctor who gives a poo poo about that is not a true healer.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

ultimateforce posted:

This old chestnut came up again.

And large swaths of the nation barely had electricity and running water. Can't wait to go back to those days!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

prahanormal posted:

Don't those areas now only barely have electricity and running water?

true

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Can we please stop talking about terminator genes? The technology has been around for decades yet nobody actually sells anything with them.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Mitchicon posted:

Hey, didn't the NRA start supporting gun control when the Black Panthers began openly carrying firearms?

The NRA supported gun control most of its existence until the mid 70s.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

yaoi prophet posted:

I remember reading somewhere else that the site passes your social security number around in plaintext HTTP, which means that if you're using an unsecured wifi connection anybody can just grab your SSN. If true, that is pretty awful.

The whole site seems to have site wide https so unless they decided to turn it off specifically for some part that includes your SSN then this sounds like a myth.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Blarghalt posted:

I am in love over the fact that conservatives are just outright ignoring all the stuff Phil said about segregation and Jim Crow. :allears:

And they are deliberately misleading people by stating that he was just quoting the Bible and speaking about Christian belief instead using his actual statements where he compares homosexuality to bestiality.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Wapole Languray posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting

It's complete horsecrap. The Assistant Principal DID stop him, but it was after he'd already killed two people and injured seven others. He just held him in the parking lot until the cops got there to arrest him. Also, the Principal was a Major in the Army Reserve, so was 1000% more qualified to be within a mile of a gun than whatever schlub made that.

And you did hear about it in the mainstream media pretty heavily... over 16 years ago when it actually happened.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

U.T. Raptor posted:

My first thought would be Hispanic, or maybe Indian :shrug:

Oh please for the love of god tell me that you guys are joking about this? She is from a District that represents the US southeast...

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Discendo Vox posted:

I, uh, what? I'm not a part of the forum gun rights brigade. NPR science reporting is just really shoddy sometimes- they tend to cover individual hot theories or theorists, rather than meaningful work, and, as above, tend to miss interdisciplinary connections. That face threat issue and self-defense phenomenon have been documented about all kinds of health scares, especially those involving children, for years.

I think he is pointing out your naiveté concerning politeness theory and political debate.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Don't know the quality or authenticity, but this as well: http://www.michaelshermer.com/2008/01/weird-things-about-money/

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

djw175 posted:

Maybe a joke in there somewhere?

There is an old Southern saying: Queer as a three dollar bill. I assume that is the joke.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

seiferguy posted:

Wasn't it Einstein's mother that was told to get an abortion because her last few pregnancies ended in miscarriage?

I thought that was Tim Tebow?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
What are you guys even talking about? World population growth is declining and even conservative estimates have the peak at just over 10 billion. It is hard to take you guys seriously when you are not even discussing reality.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

ToxicSlurpee posted:

HFCS can cause my blood sugar to spike and give me problems. Other sugars do not. I mean, I avoid sweets and sugary foods in general because diabetes runs in my family something fierce and I'm showing signs of early sugar issues but for some people the difference is actually pretty huge. HFCS gives me some pretty awful issues that other sugars don't so I avoid it.

I also really, really don't like how sickeningly sweet American food tends to be thanks to this attitude of "let's cram as much corn as possible into literally everything."

This is likely untrue and the result of confirmation bias. You should seek medical advice and keep a food journal. It is this sort of pseudoscience that leads to the proliferation of fake "medical" conditions such as MSG and gluten sensitivity, and it greatly hampers real research into underlying medical issues that go improperly diagnosed.

I will never understand why otherwise rational people build such fantastical fictions and ascribe magical powers to food.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

darthbob88 posted:

To be unnecessarily fair, I heard from somewhere that it's slightly more complicated than just "women get paid less". For the same job, a woman earns $.95 for every dollar a man earns, which is more nearly reasonable. The reason the median male wage-earner gets paid more than the median female wage-earner is simply that men dominate higher-paying jobs. Although that leads to questions about why that is, and why the jobs women do pay less than the jobs men do.

What you heard was a statistic for a very narrow subset of women in a very narrow circumstance being trotted out because it does not sound as bad as the other statistics. And you bought it.

Edit: here, a little comic relief

archangelwar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 20, 2014

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

darthbob88 posted:

Precisely. Women are underpaid by only 5 cents per dollar, as opposed to the common statistic of 23 cents per dollar. Or, to use John Oliver's metaphor, employers collectively are taking a smaller poo poo on women's desks than statistics suggest.

ETA: Although I really am curious whether that is more because women get underpaid, or because jobs women do get undervalued.

Once again, the 95 cent statistic applies only to women who do not marry and of a certain age. It is not accurate. And it is still poo poo. Additionally it is pay for equal work so it does not matter if they choose jobs that are undervalued.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Phone posted:

Ahaha, I don't even know what to say in response:

It is just weasel worded non-position taking rhetoric. He will always be right, because he has defined the terms.

You: "You are objectifying women"
Him: "No I am not, I am humanizing them"
You: "In an awful way"
Him: "I did not say it was good what I was doing, only that it was not objectification, I am actually a horrible scumbag. But you can't say I was wrong" :smug:

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Cpt.Americant posted:

There were quite a few historical inaccuracies in the new Cosmos (though Sagan's Cosmos had that problem too), but I don't know if that's what they're talking about.

I would be interested in a good source on this, as Googling inaccuracies in the show just gives me a bunch of stuff where people are offended that he depicted Bruno as oppressed by Christianity and a front page article for the well known comedy website Something Awful.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It was so effective that it caused crime to plummet across the entire country. WOW!

Kennesaw was a tiny rural area with no crime rate that became an upper middle class exurb of Atlanta (also no crime). It also has gun ownership rates of less than 50% despite the law. It is the least relevant example one could possibly conceive.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VitalSigns posted:

Goddamnit I just looked for evidence of this, and you're right and I'm wrong.

gently caress this country :smithicide:

But you are still correct, this is fundamentally different than bank reporting anomalous transactions. When they do so, they are not contacting a police officer standing outside who will then seize your funds; they are alerting oversight and compliance committees, and/or the FBI. These organizations are not targeting people withdrawing cash to purchase cars or drugs, but for evidence of money laundering and organized crime. The Jon Oliver piece is primarily talking about local and state police conducting, often random, traffic stops and seizing anything they find (because DRUGS!!!). They were not tipped by banks.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VitalSigns posted:

That's what I was about to argue, but then.

Both of these asset seizures were after investigation by federal authorities, one of which involves peripheral involvement with a guilty party. Of course the laws should be structured such that innocent parties are immediately returned their assets, but this is not a case of some dude withdrawing 5k once to purchase a car or drugs, as has been argued. Additionally, you need to be wary of these editorial articles. In the first one, the store owner was returned all of his assets around the time that the article was published, yet that same article and story has been reposted multiple times over the past couple of years with the claim that his assets were still being kept by the IRS.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Mr Darcy posted:

My son is near 3, so I haven't come across whatever the UK version of this is just yet. But I think that image is confusing things by having too many jumps on the left of the number line.

427 - 316 works well using the approach listed.

I've never looked at a common core maths question in my life and it took all of 2 mins to work out how it should be approached, and I'm a university comp sci drop out.

That is the point, Jack "forgot" to subtract the 10. The question isn't how to do it, it is to find the mistake.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Conservatives are constantly being told that they're dumb and that they're racist. They look at liberals pointing to the overwhelming scientific consensus on a bunch of different topics and just see ignorant partisans mindlessly following what a 'smart person' tells them and respond, not by critically thinking the issue, but by finding their own 'smart people' who agree with them. Liberals have their Smart People who tell them that global warming is real, and conservatives have their Smart People (in completely unrelated fields) who say it maybe isn't. Doesn't matter what is or isn't true; it's a political defense mechanism. They take a similar approach to racism and homophobia by having totally real and not made up black and gay friends.

Dr. Carson is pretty much a perfect storm of a Person On My Team That Validates My Beliefs. He's:

1) Black
2) Grew up poor
3) Undeniably smart (in a particular field)
4) Very successful in the medical field at a time of significant healthcare reform

Sure, being a neurosurgeon has almost nothing to do with the macroeconomic implications of healthcare reform, but he's a doctor and this is healthcare reform and do you really think you know more about healthcare than Dr. Carson?

Oh, conservatives are stupid? So you're saying world-famous neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson is stupid?

You think you know how to help people in poor black communities? I think Dr. Carson knows a little something about getting out of poverty.

Planned Parenthood? Three words: Black. Poor. Doctor.

Thank god he's not a woman.

Ben Carson, a while back, stated that 'for profit' insurance companies were inherently immoral. His stance has recently changed.

Edit: Sorry, his stance has 'evolved.' Except that he distrusts evolution too...

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Armyman25 posted:

I just read an interview Ben Carson gave about evolution. It's the usual anti-evo points; conflating the origin of life and the origin of the universe with evolution, denial of transitional fossils, and apparently not understanding that scientists look at the DNA of different species to determine that they are related instead of just looking at homogenous features.

And if wikipedia is to be believed, he made a statement that 'Evolutionists' would have a hard time providing a moral system of ethics because they would have a hard time finding a base to work with because... reasons.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Oh and even though he has stated that one of his primary upsides is that he would apply 'science' and 'reason' to deal with problems, he is a climate change denier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't the old guy from Duck Dynasty say pretty much the same thing?

Yes.

But I have higher expectations of people running for POTUS. I have no expectations of Phil Robertson.