Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I don't even read fantasy and I like these books. Seriously. The last fantasy books I read was the LOTR series around when the movies came out. I mainly stick to sci-fi and nonfiction, but ASOIAF is a fan-loving-tastic series. If I hadn't just finished rereading them a few months ago, I would join in with you guys.

bengraven posted:

Ned is an honorable guy.
Cat can be a bitch.
Arya reminds me of my wife sometimes
Sansa reminds me of my wife the other times
Bran is awesome
Jon is everyone's favorite character
Tyrion is everyone's other favorite character
Dany gets under my nerves at first, but I fell for her quickly

This is a Good Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Mr. Peepers posted:

I don't even read fantasy and I like these books. Seriously. The last fantasy books I read was the LOTR series around when the movies came out. I mainly stick to sci-fi and nonfiction, but ASOIAF is a fan-loving-tastic series. If I hadn't just finished rereading them a few months ago, I would join in with you guys.

This is exactly it. If you go into the novels expecting a hard fantasy novel you won't get it. You don't even need to like fantasy to read it. You can read every other form of literature and you'll see parts of them in this.

There is a dwarf, but he does not have a long, willowy beard and doesn't carry a massive hammer (though he briefly carries an axe); he's not Scottish and while he loves to drink it's rarely frothy ale and not only that, he's an actual "little person" not a member of a dwarven race.

There are "rangers", but they're not lithe elves with an affinity for nature. They're human and they're former murderers, thieves, rapists, whores and the sons of all of the above who are beheaded if they ever run away.

And the only real wizard in the books is a woman with a haunted vagina.

It's more like going to a Renaissance festival ran by Takashi Miike.

EDIT: oh and I suppose there is a couple people who could be considered necromancers later on, but if you call them that you're just stretching to find a fantasy label to put on them.

bengraven fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 20, 2010

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

bengraven posted:

Ned is an honorable guy.
Cat can be a bitch.
Arya reminds me of my wife sometimes
Sansa reminds me of my wife the other times
Bran is awesome
Jon is everyone's favorite character
Tyrion is everyone's other favorite character
Dany gets under my nerves at first, but I fell for her quickly

Arya is my favorite character :( gently caress Jon.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Started it today, I'm up to a Bran chapter. I have a question, Daenerys' interaction with her brother came off as a little creepy and the OP mentioned sex and rape. How much worse is it gonna get? If this many people like it I'm assuming it doesn't come off as too creepy, right?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Virigoth posted:

Arya is my favorite character :( gently caress Jon.

You know, I'm on my re-read and I still haven't picked out a favorite. I like characters, but it's something about Martin's writing that makes me almost not completely trust anyone. Or maybe because at any point one of them can be killed.

For example, at one point I decided I really like the Red Viper. But a few chapters later...

I suppose Dany is my favorite when it gets down to it. I like her transformation in her personality and frankly, any woman who can keep up sexually with a rabid Mongol must be fantastic in bed.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Quid posted:

Started it today, I'm up to a Bran chapter. I have a question, Daenerys' interaction with her brother came off as a little creepy and the OP mentioned sex and rape. How much worse is it gonna get? If this many people like it I'm assuming it doesn't come off as too creepy, right?

Well, there's definitely some creepiness in Viserys, but nothing that bad, really.

The worst character in the series, in my opinion, is Joffrey

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Quid posted:

Ah....Viserys/Daenerys or generally? Also are you on the chapter where Bran climbs things? (don't think that's a spoiler, but dunno)

also: could we come up with a way to refer to chapters other than by number (I can't remember numbers for the life of me) that doesn't spoil things

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2010

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I think the minor-tier characters are far more interesting than most of the POVs. It's another reason why I really like this series. In fact, one of my favorites (Rhaegar) is dead when the series begins and another one (Howland Reed) hasn't even appeared in person.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
What I really, really didn't like were the minor tier characters who had POVs, but only once. That's really the greatest flaw in the later books. The further introduction of character threads that don't go anywhere and only further branch out the plot.

In fact, it's actually worse than Robert Jordan in that regard.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
ah...I can only really think of one non-prologue one?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why does the 'quality of the prose' always come up in literary discussions? It's such an inherently bored and decadent thing to care about compared to the ideas expressed or the plot or characters or any number of other things. Unless the prose is so bad as to make the work difficult to read or something who cares, it's like complaining that a punk band can't play their instruments or Bob Dylan can't sing very well, ie largely irrelevent.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 20, 2010

Dendra
May 3, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

There were a few in Feast from memory. Unless Martin planned to make a habit of writing from the perspective of a guard that is.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why does the 'quality of the prose' always come up in literary discussions? It's such an inherently bored and decadent thing to care about compared to the ideas expressed or the plot or characters or any number of other things. Unless the prose is so bad as to make the work difficult to read or something who cares, it's like complaining that a punk band can't play their instruments or something, ie largely irrelevent.

I guess writers, English majors, or (I daresay) book enthusiasts would be prone to caring about it. In terms of Martin, it comes up alot because he's really loving good most of the time. It's just a rarity in the fantasy genre, really, which is probably a contributing factor to the books gaining popularity among readers who usually don't dig fantasy writers.

Quality of prose is important to me. If I can't flow with it, I can't get far enough to care about the plot or the characters. Terrible prose is the same thing as someone orally telling me a story in a really uninteresting, disjointed way--I just zone out. Your music analogies are perfect examples of why people write off entire genres of music: some people just can't get into them for the exact reasons you mentioned. The ideas behind the music can be appreciated if explained to those people, perhaps, but the music's ability to communicate directly is lost because of that disconnection with the listener.

It's completely relevant in terms of personal taste, which is what the prose arguments always boil down to. I don't think it's possible to objectively define "quality prose," because there are so many ways to go about it. When it works, it works.

:goonsay:, tl;dr: Martin writes well, etc.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

whowhatwhere posted:

There's the guard and the knight and I think the daughter of Greyjoy only has one chapter from her POV.

Edit: I hope this isn't considered spoilery since it's more a criticism of the writing and format and less so the story itself.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Martin is a fantastic writer and the way he turns archetypes on their head is amazing. I'm going to join on this reread because I've only ever actually read the series once through! That said, I really don't recommend the series anymore to people - spreading the miserable realization that one of the greatest fantasy series ever is almost certainly not going to be finished by the author almost feels like cruel and unusual punishment :(

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm trying to think of a way to identify chapters... maybe Bran 1, Arya 5, or? So Bran's first POV chapter, Arya's fifth POV. You're still having to count chapters though. Maybe everyone should just pencil in a chapter number when they get to a new one, and use those. Then we can say Chapter 4 [spoiler]spoilery stuff happens[spoiler], and not worry about it too much.

I think I've already worried about it too much.

I just finished my latest re-read a month ago. I'm still trying to get over reading "Meanwhile, back at the Wall..." again. :(

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

Zombie Lincoln posted:

The Eyrie sure looks a lot like Neuschwanstein ;)

The artwork in the OP is spectacular, especially the sky cell one. That is an identical representation of how I had it in my head. Although I guess the descriptions were pretty explicit.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think I'm going to start on this once I'm done with what I'm reading now. I've had the book laying around since before the third book got released, but like others I couldn't get past the first chapter or so. Might as well give it another shot, wouldn't want it to have been a waste of $7.

I hope I can get it finished by the end of June though, I tend to be a slow reader unless I'm really, really into something.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."

Quid posted:

Most of the "on camera" sex is kind of disturbing. Thankfully, despite how much we like to joke about it, there's around ~4000 pages of stuff in the series that isn't sex described by GRRM. Just laugh at it.

Or Cry.

Also, Bran IV, Arya II, etc. are how they are generally described. chapter page # and edition could help as well, I guess.

iddqd posted:

The Eyrie sure looks a lot like Neuschwanstein ;)

The artwork in the OP is spectacular, especially the sky cell one. That is an identical representation of how I had it in my head. Although I guess the descriptions were pretty explicit.

God, that's an awesome looking place.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Zombie Lincoln fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 20, 2010

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Page numbers (and which POV it is) can identify it fine, since even between editions there's not a massive discrepancy between pages.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
After reading how horrible and goony and disgusting these books supposedly are in LF/GBS/TBB/YOSPOS/every other subforum, I decided to pick them up, because if they're so very horribly goony and disturbing but also so very widely read, they must be pretty good.
I powered through the first two in about five days, and I am a few chapters into the third as of 2 AM on day six. These are pretty goshdarn good books, and I really like these books a lot. They are good books. Read these books.

Also I am prepared to hate GRRM for the rest of my natural life.

Viconia
Jul 11, 2005

Oh, right. I know a lot about lifting curses. That's why I'm a disembodied talking skull sitting on top of a spike in the middle of a swamp.
We'll have a re-read timetable up shortly but it's looking like POV I and half of POV II will be the first weeks reading (about 80-100 pages).

Seeing as I started this about 2 weeks ago, I'm up to Danerys III right now whore

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I dont particularly like Jon as a character, too emo. Then again who knows how his storyline will turn out. I mean at the start of the series both Sansa and Jaime were pretty insufferable, but they grew on me over time. The Hound was always awesome though.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

I dont particularly like Jon as a character, too emo. Then again who knows how his storyline will turn out. I mean at the start of the series both Sansa and Jaime were pretty insufferable, but they grew on me over time. The Hound was always awesome though.

Sansa gets more interesting as the series progresses, but I certainly wouldn't say she was more likeable. The main saving grace of her chapters is how naive she is (and how she mentions lemoncakes!)

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~

Dendra posted:

Sansa gets more interesting as the series progresses, but I certainly wouldn't say she was more likeable. The main saving grace of her chapters is how naive she is (and how she mentions lemoncakes!)

I've always felt that Sansa was a boring character who just happens to be in interesting places where interesting things happen.

Edit: Sweet, the schedule is up and it looks like we will finish the first book well before I move :D

Edit: VV Is it really fair to call a 13 year old coddled child a bimbo? If so, then yes, that is exactly what she is.

Karter705 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 20, 2010

Viconia
Jul 11, 2005

Oh, right. I know a lot about lifting curses. That's why I'm a disembodied talking skull sitting on top of a spike in the middle of a swamp.

Karter705 posted:

I've always felt that Sansa was a boring character who just happens to be in interesting places where interesting things happen.

So basically, a blonde bimbo back in GRRM times? (no offence to any blondes reading the thread)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sansa is easily my favourite character.

Kvothe
Feb 22, 2008
I love spoiling books for people, because GRRM is such a faggot and I want to spread my hatred to everyone!
Sansa was definitely a character I loved to hate. But now, as much as I hate to say it, I have to admit she's growing on me. Mayhaps another re-read can make me hate her once more!

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

There's maybe a hundred-page interval where you'll feel justified in hating sansa. After that you just start feeling sorry for her because of all the horrible poo poo that's happening.

I hope 'horrible poo poo' doesn't constitute a spoiler but given these books' reputation I don't really think it does

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
We should probably leave this kind of discussion for THE BAD THREAD.

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~

Haraksha posted:

We should probably leave this kind of discussion for THE BAD THREAD.

I kind of figured Zombie would throw a link to the beginning of the actual discussion in the OP on Monday, like they do for episodes in the TVIV. Otherwise I don't know what to post here until then; this thread just seems much more suited for this kind of discussion than the other thread (which isn't suited for anything).

Viconia
Jul 11, 2005

Discuss whatever you want in here but just do not spoil anything, that's all.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Karter705 posted:

the other thread (which isn't suited for anything).

Rape.

Viconia
Jul 11, 2005

Haraksha posted:

Rape.

Are you trying to scare off the TVIVers? Seriously dude.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Viconia posted:

Are you trying to scare off the TVIVers? Seriously dude.

Goons love Madmen and BSG.
Madmen and BSG both featured rape.
Erego, Goons love rape.

Viconia
Jul 11, 2005

Haraksha posted:

Goons love Madmen and BSG.
Madmen and BSG both featured rape.
Erego, Goons love rape.

God, BSG is so loving awesome. </derail>

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Just to be clear on this, starting week 1 (the 24th) we are no longer required to spoiler what happens in those chapters right?

When someone told me I should read these books, I read the first chapter and immediately stopped reading after, then stopped for a month because i didnt like the whole zombies thing. It was only the third time I started the book that I got to "The things I do for love." . That one got me hooked. There are still some things I don't like, like the ghost from the vagina and some characters are a bit annoying, Bran as the series progresses, Sam every time. And somehow I managed not to pick up on all the rape.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tyrion is the best character, right from the start. :colbert:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
You will want to take advantage of this in the not-so-distant future.

I am looking forward to witnessing the building angst in this thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tyrion is the best character, right from the start. :colbert:

I agree. I hated Sansa the first read-through, but on this one, I'm not hating her as much. The naivety makes her actions more forgivable than I thought the first time around.

• Locked thread