Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Pyro
Feb 1, 2010

Redcordial posted:

me i just sat in agony for half the days dying for a piss... i think i made the right choice?

We had a guy who wasn't so lucky, and had to walk out of a minimi lesson soaked in piss.

Oh yeah, went for a range shoot a couple days ago and we had way too much ammo - apparently the senior NCOs didn't feel like wasting time and told us to bomb up with 5 mags of 30 rounds.

They called it "introduction to burst fire"...first time I've done live fire without the single shot lockout button on. I've heard that doesn't happen too often in the ADF.

Apple Pyro fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
e/ ^^^^^ Lucky oval office.

Yeah, on only two days did it fall below 43 degrees and both of those it pissed down on us diagonally. The wind there is loving nuts, it's either knifing cold and usually accompanied by rain, or it's absolutely boiling hot but the wind is completely dry. Stepping outside was like stepping into a blast furnace.

Don't let yourself go down with heat exhaustion. It's not fun.

JLea
Feb 10, 2009

So I applied for the army reserve and have this meeting on swanston street where I assume they tell me which career options i have.

i hear there's an on site test, what exactly should i do to prepare for this? do i need to bring shorts or something

sos
Dec 9, 2004
I've just applied to join the ARA as a Surveillance Aircraft Operator. I've passed the testing and initial interview and the medical questionnaire. Now I just need to have the psych interview, medical and fitness test.

My question is, do I do the fitness test at the same time as the interview/medical? One of my friends just went to Kapooka as a Combat Engineer and he didn't do his test until the week before he left but I have heard of other people that do theirs at the same time as the medical.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

JLea, i doubt you will need to bring PT gear unless they specifically say you're going to do a physical test. Don't be afraid to ask them, too, they might tell you something different.

sos, same deal: You've done a YOU session, right? Next step is, like you said, a medical, psych interview and a job interview, not a fitness test. The job interview you need to prepare for: learn everything you can find about the training (both basic at Kapooka, and your Initial Employment Training afterwards), where you could be posted to once you're finished (names of units and locations), where you could be deployed to once you're fully trained, where Australian troops are currently deployed (Afghanistan, Iraq, East Timor, Solomon Islands).

Unless they tell you you are doing a PFA on the day, you will not be doing a PFA on the day. The reason you probably heard of people doing theirs the same day as their medical is because you have to do another medical on your enlistment day, which is the step after this one. Some people also do a PFA on this day, and then ship out that afternoon to Kapooka.

JLea
Feb 10, 2009

Plank posted:

JLea, i doubt you will need to bring PT gear unless they specifically say you're going to do a physical test. Don't be afraid to ask them, too, they might tell you something different.

Yeah I was just referring to a YOU session :v:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah the YOU session is just aptitude testing and a preliminary job interview. Written tests, in other words, or on the computers. No jorts required.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Plank posted:

sos, same deal: You've done a YOU session, right? Next step is, like you said, a medical, psych interview and a job interview, not a fitness test. The job interview you need to prepare for: learn everything you can find about the training (both basic at Kapooka, and your Initial Employment Training afterwards), where you could be posted to once you're finished (names of units and locations), where you could be deployed to once you're fully trained, where Australian troops are currently deployed (Afghanistan, Iraq, East Timor, Solomon Islands).

Unless they tell you you are doing a PFA on the day, you will not be doing a PFA on the day. The reason you probably heard of people doing theirs the same day as their medical is because you have to do another medical on your enlistment day, which is the step after this one. Some people also do a PFA on this day, and then ship out that afternoon to Kapooka.

Cool, thanks mate. I've got a suit ready to wear to the interview and I have been reading up on everything I can about the job I am going for and the Army in general.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, you'll be fine then. Just be relaxed, and if you don't know the answer just say 'I don't know.'. One of the guys on the day I did it said he got called out for bullshitting and denied because of it.

Not_Sure
Nov 19, 2007

sewersider posted:

I'll be honest I'm not all up with the RAN acronyms, whats a CTSSM?
Otherwise know your knots and get a decent laptop

CrypTologic Systems SubMariner,

Currently saving up for a laptop, I've learnt a few knots from fire-brigade training, but the only ones I can remember are a clove hitch and half hitch. I've got my fitness to level of the final fitness test, just.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
When i had my YOU session like 2 years ago i remember i had a one on one interview with an old Major, dude was awesome he was about 3 months off retiring and took up the gig of recruiting to end his army days.
i got stuck on a few questions but the guy was chill as and just gave me all ticks and approvals and all that good stuff.
Anyway moral is make sure you know everything about your role just in case you get some sour arse who will critique the poo poo out of your answers etc.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I always used to see RAAF maintainers at the food court on NAS Lemoore. That's where we trained the first batches of Auzzies how to fix Super Hornets. Good bunch of guys. And IMO your uniforms look smarter than ours too.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
So, how accurate would you say Sea Patrol depicts the Australian navy ?

JLea
Feb 10, 2009

Redcordial posted:

Anyway moral is make sure you know everything about your role just in case you get some sour arse who will critique the poo poo out of your answers etc.

I thought the point of the YOU session was that they showed you all the roles :raise:

sos
Dec 9, 2004

JLea posted:

I thought the point of the YOU session was that they showed you all the roles :raise:

At mine they didn't. I had to do testing and an interview and they expected me to know the specific role I was interested in.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

JLea posted:

They tell you which you can or can't do and will expand upon any you ask about, but you need to have some idea of what you want to do and what that entails. Pay rates, how the chain of command works, the role of your chosen job and what corps you're likely to need to work alongside (arty and armour for us grunts, for example) are all good things to know.

The main thing is show some interest - you can be wrong on some stuff as long as they see you're keen and you want to learn. As a whole the ADF is built more around your willingness to learn and get the job done than your existing ability, at least in my experience.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

So I need to get in contact with someone at my unit but nobody is ever there since they're reservists. Should I just call the base's general switchboard and harass someone? I wasn't given a cheatsheet of phone numbers or anything useful (especially considering I need my military ID organised and received before next parade)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Been Combat Engineer reserve for 2 years on, 1 year standby up in 7BDE. our blokes are over in Afghanistan atm as well as several of my choc mates.

lots of jubes posting in this thread.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Kommando posted:

Been Combat Engineer reserve for 2 years on, 1 year standby up in 7BDE. our blokes are over in Afghanistan atm as well as several of my choc mates.

lots of jubes posting in this thread.

Are choc Engineers are getting Afghan deployments?

Apple Pyro
Feb 1, 2010

Edit: Never mind

Apple Pyro fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 26, 2010

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

sos posted:

Are choc Engineers are getting Afghan deployments?

if you apply for them.

they need engineers.

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit
Jan 19, 2004

I'm joining the RAAF as a CETECH, have done my assesment and have my fitness test in december, then enlistment in january.

What am I looking forward to? I got told by a friend that CETECH are fairly useless these days because all their jobs are given to civilian contractors, so they sit around or do field exercises all day.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Klogdor posted:

Very poorly, seeing as I'm not banging Saskia Burmeister.

Seriously though, not really. Patrol Boat life is an incredibly monotonous routine that varies depending on whether you're based out of Darwin or Cairns. Cairns boats generally do longer trips with Darwin boats getting home for the weekend most weeks. It's just a routine of get out there, find illegal fishing boats or refugee boats, take the appropriate action, then do the same thing repeatedly for weeks on end. Incredibly dull with the occasional flash of excitement.

Not_Sure posted:

CrypTologic Systems SubMariner,

Currently saving up for a laptop, I've learnt a few knots from fire-brigade training, but the only ones I can remember are a clove hitch and half hitch. I've got my fitness to level of the final fitness test, just.

I'd like to help you out with some advice. But seeing as submarines are a whole different world away from the rest of the fleet I don't really have that much to say. People pretty much go West then are never seen or heard from again.

Just be the 'grey man' in Recruit School. That is, blend in, and if your instructor doesn't know your name by the end of your 11 weeks then you've done pretty bloody well. Cerberus is a horrible, cold, miserable place and a lot of the people there are power tripping douche bags. But in saying that there are lots of people who do really care about their RCTs and trainees. Anything in particular you wanted to know about Recruit School? Keep in mind I did it several years ago.

But as a SM expect to spend your entire time in after training over in Fremantle.

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit posted:

I'm joining the RAAF as a CETECH, have done my assesment and have my fitness test in december, then enlistment in january.

What am I looking forward to? I got told by a friend that CETECH are fairly useless these days because all their jobs are given to civilian contractors, so they sit around or do field exercises all day.

After your initial training you'll do about a year of training down at HMAS Cerberus with the Navy. RAAF CETECHs and Navy Electronic Technicians do a common course together before branching off to do their service specific courses. Upon completion of your trade training it is an automatic promotion to LAC.

Hope I've helped. I can't guarantee too much of what I said because it's been a long time since I've been through the training pipeline and things could have changed in the last few years.

Dude McAwesome fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 15, 2011

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
Bumpin this to say that in 3 hours I'll be at my YOU session. :ohdear:

Wish me luck!

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

Klogdor posted:

As a Seaman Officer currently posted to Cairns, it's an accurate portrayal. I've lost count of the number of times I'm running through the jungle shooting at people with my steyr and/or shotgun, I'm constantly involved in crew relationships, and the 18 year old gap year really never goes after half the male crew.

It's a tv show, nothing more, and nothing in it is accurate at all. What is funny is that they will nail the accuracy of, say, a man overboard swimmer recovery, and then completely blow it for the rest of the episode. It's a shame really, and quite annoying as everyone assumes you basically do everything in the show. If one tenth of what happened in a single episode was realistic, there would be charges, inquests, mass media coverage and more, as evidenced by the SIEV explosion a few months back. But, as already said, a realistic portrayal would be incredibly tedious and boring.

It also just drives me plain nuts, like when the Officer of the Watch gives a steer order (less than 10 degrees alteration of course), and it cuts to the boat doing a hard 180 degree turn. But is rather awesome as a drinking game.

Oh, and I'm currently in the training pipeline as a Seaman Officer. So if there's any questions relating to recruitment, training, general whatever feel free to send them my way.

Penguin Radar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 13, 2010

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

Obligatory "What the gently caress have they done to my boat?" photo:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Don Music posted:

Bumpin this to say that in 3 hours I'll be at my YOU session. :ohdear:

Wish me luck!

How'd you go with your YOU session? What mustering are you looking at joining as?

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008

Dude McAwesome posted:

How'd you go with your YOU session? What mustering are you looking at joining as?

Not so well, I was going for RAAF ACO, but apparently because I did English Communication in Grade 12, I'm not eligible for an Officer job, even though I have a Diploma and a deferred Uni course. v:geno:v. The site says nothing about modified English not being allowed, only Maths, so I'll talk to someone soon about it.

My backup plans were Aircraft Tech/Armaments Tech/Avionics Tech in RAAF, but they are apparently all full too..

I'm not too sure what happens after this though. A sheet in all the sheets they gave me when I left said that someone will call me soon, but the Careers Counselor said that I had to call them.

Anyone know which is right?

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

Don Music posted:

Not so well, I was going for RAAF ACO, but apparently because I did English Communication in Grade 12, I'm not eligible for an Officer job, even though I have a Diploma and a deferred Uni course. v:geno:v. The site says nothing about modified English not being allowed, only Maths, so I'll talk to someone soon about it.

My backup plans were Aircraft Tech/Armaments Tech/Avionics Tech in RAAF, but they are apparently all full too..

I'm not too sure what happens after this though. A sheet in all the sheets they gave me when I left said that someone will call me soon, but the Careers Counselor said that I had to call them.

Anyone know which is right?

Call, call, and call again. It's an understatement in saying that recruiting is useless, and has been ever since it was outsourced. You won't get anywhere with them unless you really apply the pressure to them.

I had alot of problems with recruitment, I filled in my application paperwork 4 times because they kept 'losing it', and basically had to harass them to get anywhere. Not to mention the fact a girl on my intake got through 4 months of Naval College before anyone clued in that she wasn't infact an Australian Citizen. They are utterly useless. Just keep at them and you will get somewhere.

Edmond Dants0000
Sep 24, 2009

It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.

Don Music posted:

Not so well, I was going for RAAF ACO, but apparently because I did English Communication in Grade 12, I'm not eligible for an Officer job, even though I have a Diploma and a deferred Uni course.

That can't be right. I had problems with my Year 12 English qualifications due to overseas education, but that cleared up soon as I told them I was in university. Also, I believe there's a way to get tested on your English and go in through that way, so this shouldn't be the end of it.

Like Penguin Radar said, just keep calling them and seeing what's going on until you get somewhere. It took me a long time (two years, but that's due to mitigating circumstances) but I'm finally signing my papers on the 22nd for my Reserves Officer course. Recruiting is basically your first challenge in joining the ADF.

Edit:

I took a look around. You should look into Alternative Education Equivalency (AEE) Assessment if you don't meet the education requirements. I know this exists for the Army, but I'm not sure about the other services though I assume it's standard for the ADF or has equivalents for each of the branches.

Edmond Dants0000 fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 13, 2010

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
Turns out they also lost my (original) Year 12 Certificate and the very last report card I recieved. Welp. Serves me right for trusting DFR :geno:

edit: seems like AEE programs are only available for trades, not officer courses.

Don Music fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 13, 2010

Not_Sure
Nov 19, 2007

Penguin Radar posted:

Call, call, and call again. It's an understatement in saying that recruiting is useless, and has been ever since it was outsourced. You won't get anywhere with them unless you really apply the pressure to them.

I had alot of problems with recruitment, I filled in my application paperwork 4 times because they kept 'losing it', and basically had to harass them to get anywhere. Not to mention the fact a girl on my intake got through 4 months of Naval College before anyone clued in that she wasn't infact an Australian Citizen. They are utterly useless. Just keep at them and you will get somewhere.

Penguin Radar is 100% correct, call at least once a week!! I've got my enlistment brought foreword from April 2011 to August 2010 just by calling every week. You will get in much faster if you keep calling them.

It took them 4 weeks to mail a medical from Sydney to Melbourne! 4 loving WEEKS!! Its pretty worrying to think about how long it would have taken if I hadn't have been calling each week asking what the gently caress was going on.

I have met somebody that has had their forms lost too, that kinda thing isn't an isolated case.

Not_Sure fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 13, 2010

Edmond Dants0000
Sep 24, 2009

It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.

Don Music posted:

Turns out they also lost my (original) Year 12 Certificate and the very last report card I recieved. Welp. Serves me right for trusting DFR :geno:

Oh yeah, you really should stick with certified copies. That way you'll always have a copy if poo poo goes south.

quote:

edit: seems like AEE programs are only available for trades, not officer courses.

The Defence Jobs website for Army General Service Officers mentions it as a possibility, but like I said I don't know if that extends to the other services. Your best bet is to call the recruiters and discuss options with them. I'm pretty sure that the English requirement disappears if you're already in university, so I'd talk to them about it. It's all about luck on getting someone who actually knows anything, so you may have to beat around the bush until you find some information about it.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Don Music posted:

...Aaaaand with this gem, we come to the first rule of dealing with either DFR or any Reserve branch (gently caress, even full time from what I hear):

PHOTOCOPY loving EVERYTHING. TWICE.

On an unrelated note, thanks uni for sticking a mandatory weekly lecture on Tuesday nights at a point where my family will sperg at me if I put the course on hold, I really wanted to take three months of block leave from the only thing I actually have any fun doing :toot:

Edmond Dants0000
Sep 24, 2009

rossmum posted:

On an unrelated note, thanks uni for sticking a mandatory weekly lecture on Tuesday nights at a point where my family will sperg at me if I put the course on hold, I really wanted to take three months of block leave from the only thing I actually have any fun doing :toot:

University? Mandatory? These words don't seem like they go together. Are you marked off a roll or something? When I had courses like this I just became friendly with one of the nerdier people and had them sign my name off for me.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Mandatory as in "go to this or you will know literally nothing and fail the course" and also my parents will sperg at me because they'll think I'm dropping out again.

After this, I am loving tempted. I'm only going back to get everyone off my back.

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
How the gently caress do I know who my case manager is? is it a question of once I ring, I will find out who it is, because I'll be call forwarded to some random case manager?

And what happens if, say, I put army and air force Aircraft Tech as my first two preferences, something as my third, I go to an assessment day, and I don't get the job for any of them. Do I have to wait 6 months before doing another assessment day, or is that just for testing?

:smith: so confused..

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Not_Sure posted:

It took them 4 weeks to mail a medical from Sydney to Melbourne! 4 loving WEEKS!! Its pretty worrying to think about how long it would have taken if I hadn't have been calling each week asking what the gently caress was going on.
Ah yes, the wonderful mail.

"I need these forms filled out this week! I'm going to post them to you!"

(a week later)
"Those forms I need filled out today, I haven't posted them out to you yet. Can you come by my office today and fill them out?"

JLea
Feb 10, 2009

Did my YOU session and got shown my opportunities sheet. They were all on there so I was pretty happy, but I just chose the low paying Driver role :smug:

The career interviewer said I had an attitude problem because I didn't look her in the eyes enough ( I was trying to read all the things she was pointing at :argh:)

Oh well, hope it goes ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The shrink at mine reckoned I had authority issues because I moved out to go to uni and then dropped out of that course in short order. I still have no idea how the gently caress she came to the adamant conclusion I have authority issues, but whatever v:shobon:v

• Locked thread