Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm finding Rune Factory 3 less interesting than my run in ToTT but then I'm not really into combat mechanics in my anime fantasy farming simulators. Does the farming stuff get deeper or does it stay pretty basic crop management + monster helpers in this one?

That aside, the characters are pretty charming and man, some of art/environment are absolutely beautiful :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Allarion posted:

Nah, farming's pretty basic in 3. 3's strength is purely its characters. Rune Factory 3 and 4 tend to be better gravitated more towards crafting than towards farming, though I want to say 4 is better about it. 3 I kind of started ignoring my field after a while.

Ah well, I guess I'll play a little more and than head back to ToTT. Thanks!

Will miss the hotspring stamina recovery thing though, that was a cool idea

e. annnd I can get a hotspring later in ToTT apparently, yessss

Knorth fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 29, 2015

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Met posted:

Says the guy with an anime avatar?

I get it. You like it. But to those who don't dig anime it's really terrible.

Can you not? This is kind of a weird sentiment. If you don't like the fantasy setting, you can just say that without making broad judgements on stuff you don't have much experience with

I'm really enjoying ToTT, despite it's flaws. The Mountain is really pretty and I just bought an owl! Can't wait to expand the farm again but really not sure how my farmer will find the stamina to water all those flowers everyday

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

YggiDee posted:

Every square you dedicate to fodder is another square that isn't potatoes.

This is true for all farming games, and indeed, life in general. Wise words

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

Have I been wasting my time growing an entire field of pineapples out of season this whole time???

That sounds like it's own reward tbh

Also, the thing with you being able to buy the seeds at the highest quality that you've shipped didn't happen in ToTT, right? RIGHT!?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dehry posted:

https://www.facebook.com/NatsumeInc/videos/10153755358438397/

Here's the mobile version of Harvest Moon running. Looks simple enough to run on some ancient phones.

Nice! If I wasn't still deep into ToTT I'd check it out :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It suffered from quality of life fixes?

Anyway, Popolocrois x Bokujou was confirmed for a digital-only PAL release in Q1 of this year.

Oh, this is the first I've heard of the game. Is it meant to be good?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

It's a good JRPG but a bad farming game, apparently. The crossover elements on the Bokujou side are minor and completely optional.

Aw, well that's a shame. I hope the farming stuff leaves a good impression on the people just playing it for the rpg at least

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

New Bokujou Monogatari/Story Of Seasons/Real Harvest Moon #4335456 for 3DS! http://www.famitsu.com/news/201601/12096993.html

I guess the gimmick is three villages?

:toot: Finally~ a true sequel to Tale of Two Towns!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TurnipFritter posted:

So far it looks like the villages are Japan Town and American Wild West Town.

Awesome! Pretty curious about what the third town's theme is. I wonder if they'll each have a different focus like ToTT, although I'm betting that would aspect wouldn't be popular...

Screenshots look pretty but I'd still love to see them do something in real nice hires 2d art one day

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Blhue posted:

My guess would be Europe town, since those 3 aesthetics seem to be their usual settings

That's definitely the first thing that springs to mind

I can't believe it took SoS so long to come to Australia that there's already another one announced... I mean, I can believe it but still

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TurnipFritter posted:

It looks like placement of crop plots matters this time.

Since West Town is a mining town, hopefully it means there will be actual mining instead of the gatcha hammer spots from ANB/SoS.

I'm excited! :tem:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Some of that article about the new Story of Seasons got translated here

Gematsu posted:

Three Villages, Different Lifestyles

There are three villages, each with their own culture and lifestyle, surrounding the farm where the protagonist of Story of Seasons: Good Friends of Three Villages lives. You’ll be able to enjoy communication with the various inhabitants of each village.

The Country-Style “Wes Town”

A village lined with wooden buildings and that exudes the atmosphere of the West. In the past, it flourished as a mine town, and traces of that period still exist in various places. Friendly and cheerful people live in this village.

The Harmonous “Tsuyukusa Village”

A village with tiled roof buildings and an arched bridge over a flowing river that exudes a nostalgic atmosphere. It has a vast source of water, and is prosperous in paddy fields and cultivated land. You’ll find people wearing kimonos in this village.

The Tropical “Lulucoco Village”

An exotic village where a mysterious ruin exists and with a beach that echoes the pleasant sound of the waves. Tropical fruits and marine products are aplenty here, and you’ll find people wearing colorful ethnic outfits.

■ Deeper Farming with the “Farm Circle”

By constructing a building or facility on your farm, you can improve the growth of your crops, and by simply changing the arrangement of these buildings, you can increase the efficiency of your harvest.

■ Enjoy the Farm Life with Your Beloved Pet

You can choose your favorite pet and have them live with you in you home as your “Soul Mate.” You can take your pet to the villages and even have them participate in festival events.

■ A Bountiful Farm Life

In addition to field work and animal care, there is plenty to enjoy both on the farm and in town in this game, whether it’s fishing, seasonal festival events, part-time jobs, and more.

■ Character Customization

You can choose your own gender, hair color, facial expression, and so on for your avatar in this game. Your lifestyle will change a bit based on the “Type” that you choose (what you’re good at).

■ Villagers and “Love”

There are a number of residents in the villages, and if you get along well with your favorite partner, it could lead to love, marriage, and even children.

Bride Candidate: Lichette

A girl with a bright personality who works in the flower shop. She took a likening to gardening thanks to her parents and has been familiar with plants since she was a child. She grew up in a comforting home, so she can be somewhat naive. She enjoys knitting and handicrafts, and even at her current age, she likes fairy-tales. She doesn’t leave Wes Town often.

Groom Candidate: Wayne

A young man with a buoyant personality who works as a postman. He is sociable, friendly, and always smiling. He enjoys teasing others, but while that attitude might make him seem insincere, he’s a big-brother type that people can depend on when he’s needed. Although he thinks “it’s rude if you don’t make a move on her” when it comes to woman, when he meets the (female) protagonist, his way of thinking will change little by little. Due to the nature of his job, he has a wide range of activities.

■ The Villagers of “Wes Town”

Frank

Your uncle who you’ve only met several times since childhood and reunite with again after a number of years. He’ll provide you strict guidance as your farming mentor. He is a cheerful spirit who doesn’t forget anyone’s thoughtfulness, and has an exceeding love for nature.

Megan

A level-headed and cheerful old lady who says what’s on her mind and can be scary when she’s angry. Her personality has earned her the love of Wes Town’s inhabitants. In caring for her health, she often goes from Wes Town to Tsuyukusa Village.

Miranda

A good-natured woman who runs the general store. She often makes jokes about her own plumpness. She’s crazy for pretty things and announces the latest information to everyone as soon as she obtains it. In her youth, she was a soprano singer. You’ll often find her around the general store.

Noel

Miranda’s talented young daughter. Since she talks to customers at the general store, she’s usually not shy. Seeing the photos of her young mother, she dreams of becoming a soprano singer. While she’s often at home, when she’s practicing singing, she goes somewhere no one will find her.

The article also says it's meant to be released in 'summer of 2016 in Japan' which, translated directly, means to 'late-2018 release for Australia' :argh: :mad:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

I got Story of Seasons for my wife a while back under recommendation of this thread since she loving loved Animal Crossing and had never heard of Harvest Moon. At first, I figured that I wanted to take part in the game, but gently caress that, I just like hearing the stories that come from her.

At first, she really hated the game, but she wasn't expecting the amount of tutorials that start the game off, but now she plays the game obsessively. Also, she is obsessive about replaying days. If something goes wrong mid way through a day, she starts the day over and redoes everything. But, yeah, she loves the game now and I never get to play my 3ds because she's always playing Story of Seasons.

:3: Good

I cannot wait to get SoS and more news about Three Villages

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Austen Tassletine posted:

Is there a harvest moon that doesn't necessarily take an age to get a decent way onto it? I picked up tale of two towns over Christmas and it has basically consumed all my gaming time over the past month. Although I've enjoyed it, I'm still only towards the end of the second year and am reaching the burnt out stage. I know that these games are the definition of a time sink, but at this rate I am certainly going to run out of steam before seeing a fair chunk of it.

I don't really have an answer for you, just as another person who's enjoying ToTT, yeah! :agreed: It's a lovely little game but it's sometimes so frustrating how set in stone the pace is

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TurnipFritter posted:

"It's decided, one of the towns will be a mining town."
"So we need to work on creating a mine, right?"
"Nah"

Alpacas and Sheep are confirmed.
Produce has four stats you can raise, in addition to the overall star quality: Taste, Color, Juiciness and Size. By placing different decorations in your fields, you can increase those stats. Examples given: A cacti plot raises the taste, a flower wagon raises the color, and a fountain raises the juiciness.

Here are two more marriage candidates.

Neat! I like the sound of that produce stat stuff also those bachelorettes are cute

Knorth fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 9, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Coolguye posted:

one of those is a dude

:thejoke:

alright. he's cute

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TurnipFritter posted:

Harvest Moon Megathread: All anime farming games welcome!

:yeah:

I like this one!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TurnipFritter posted:

An important new addition to the franchise: You can have capybaras and maine coons as pets.

This is extremely good and I'm looking forward to it! Those characters looks really nice too, very cute outfits

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Gematsu posted:

■ Lulucoco Village Marriage Candidates

Lulucoco Village is an exotic village where a mysterious ruin exists and with a beach that echoes the pleasant sound of the waves. Tropical fruits and marine products are aplenty here, and you’ll find people wearing colorful ethnic outfits.

Iuka (Bride Candidate)

The older of the twin sisters that run the beach tea house in Lulucoco Village. She is also a shrine maiden with a mysterious power. Although slightly strong-minded, she has a bright personality and is liked by everyone. She’s often either at the Lulucoco Village beach tea house or at her house.

Shiuka (Bride Candidate)

The younger of the twin sisters that run the beach tea house in Lulucoco Village. Just like her sister, she is also a shrine maiden with a mysterious power. She has vast knowledge of medicinal plants, moves at her own pace, and is sometimes absentminded. She spends much of her day at the beach tea house or in the sea.

Rudeus (Groom Candidate)

A jack of all trades living in Lulucoco Village. He is a childhood friend of the twin sisters, and is adored by the children of the village. He specializes in home renovations and farm circle creation, and can make anything if you have the material for it. You’ll find him walking around Lulucoco Village checking things out.

■ From Friendship to Love

Making Friends

Through everyday conversation and gift-giving, you can raise your favorability. Since giving a gift not suited to that person could lower your favorability, you should research what they like beforehand.

Becoming a Couple

After becoming friends, you can confess your love using the required “Pendant” item. After you become boyfriend and girlfriend, you can enjoy more intimate conversations and love events.

Proposal and Marriage

Once the love between boyfriend and girlfriend deepens, you can finally propose. When you’re married and become a family, you’ll begin a new life on the farm.

Children

After you’re married for some time, your family will grow, and you can manage the farm together with the love of your family.

link. :tem: This will be the HM/SoS game I actually play when it comes out instead of years afterwards :) Still hoping they'll reveal at least one gay character though

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Junpei Hyde posted:

Seeing as they specified "the bond between boyfriend and girlfriend", I somehow doubt it.

Yeah, I noticed that :(

Still holding out hope that it was just translation quirk but not really optimistic about it...

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't know anything about how Gematsu runs but I really wish they'd translate more than just the marriage candidate bios... Like, I want to know who these people are and what's going on with those pets

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Christmas Cake posted:

I'm not great at translation but I can give a rundown of those.

Besides the marriage candidates, that's the fisherman, the grocer, and their children.

The pet page has a partial list of the cat and dog breeds available. You can have multiple pets and select a main one as your soulmate. That one gives you presents and gets special events with the other animals.

Ahh, that sounds good! Thanks :)

Blhue posted:

I assume it'll be like the last two where you're androgynous as hell and can crossdress so you can kludge it if you want

I really hope that's still the case

LLSix posted:

Any word on a release date?

June 23, for Japan. Nothing for anywhere else so far

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

XSEED finally announced the next SoS game, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, it'll be out next year sometime.

That name... :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

The EU versions sounds a lot more weird to be honest.

You're just plain wrong I'm afraid

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

all my mods revert the chars back to the less hilariously-ugly versions on their development timeline

seriously chucklefish has a problem with overworking poo poo

:shittypop: holy crap, what happened to that guy

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

there's also this one, i can't imagine playing the game with this guy's default pedostache

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/1/16/Harvey_Timeline.png

and maru used to be a million times cuter :(

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/9/97/Maru_Timeline.png

there are loads more but u get the idea

Yeah, that's a shame :( some of those early versions are really cute ...except Sam, nothing's working there I guess

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Gibbo posted:

My posts are lovely and full of self conflicting ideas at times, but I know how to press shift.

His read like a fourteen year old that skipped his Adderall and stayed up past bedtime. He's welcome to whatever ideas he wants but for gently caress sakes he had three double posts on this page alone.

lol

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

i'm just here to talk about videogames with my good friends :)

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying story of seasons, still looking forward to playing more of it once I 'finish' tott :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

i am, thank u. :) altho klaus tried to get me to hang out with him by saying he'll give me candy, and called me m'lady

i could not get into ToTT but i hope u enjoy what remains of ur game

it's flawed but I like the villages and running around the mountain, feeding all the animals :3: I told myself I'd move on once I get the hot spring built though

Klaus seems ...not great :( /probably/ going to end up romancing the botanist from tott in seasons too but being able to crossdress my farmer has me thinking about changing things up a bit :)

as cute as Cam was in tott, I kinda wish Kana was in SoS instead, he was sweetest dork

Knorth fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 16, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

lol i have no idea who kana is, is he from ToTT? one of the reasons i didn't like it so much is the portrait art is so meh and made everyone look super bland. it's really great in SoS, which goes a long way to making the game more enjoyable for moi

e. i'm like 80% convinced that klaus and lily (both actually-an-adult marriage options) are made intentionally creepy to warn children away from unhealthy relationships w older ppl

yeah he raises horses and sells pets in tott. he loves animals and can be a bit of a goof sometimes :3:

personally, I like the art in tott but one of it's problems is that it feels pretty limited. there just isn't much in the way of expression or variety on that side of the game

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

is a capybara just a guinea pig?

but huge

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

THF13 posted:

There is no point to brushing the horse or giving it treats.

That's it's own reward :colbert:

You're sometimes just not going to be able to make anything good for the cooking comps, but it's worth entering even if you lose so keep an eye on the cafes to grab something for it if you need to. Your teammates will do better in it if you're friends with them and sometimes that'll be enough to push you into a win

Have fun! It's my favourite Harvest Moon of the couple I've played, so I hope you enjoy it :) I think I've heard that the 3D version has some weird issues though :ohdear:

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Crops will die if you step on them

That's not true...?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Crops have star ratings and produce does go bad after keeping it storage for a week or two but you can't damage things by walking on them afaik, heck you straight-up can't walk on most things

It gets around blocking you off by letting you dig connected plots so you just water one spot and they all get it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, I vaguely recall being surprised at something like that in my 2 hours of playing RF3

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBXH2sVvL0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfMVScaZpm8

Yay!

oh, plus there are pretty neat little character introductions on their blog

Knorth fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 20, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Has there been any news of a European/PAL release?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I kinda wish butchery was a thing you could do, it could open a lot of new processes and could easily be abstracted enough to never be really problematic

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Were the animals in Stardew the same as HM? In that they existed to give you produce but couldn't be butchered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Huh, never heard of it. I probably don't need more farming games but is it any good?

• Locked thread