Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Further reports on Return to PopoloCrois:

Reaching Chapter 3 gives you two farms to work with, and opens up item synthesis (with teases to a further advanced form of synthesis later in the game), animal care, and bug collecting. The game is still a little clumsy on the controls, but I'm starting to get used to it. Crops, stones/ore, and other collectables can be shipped, or saved up for gifts and synthesis.

So I guess the game really just suffers from a glacial start. The RPG combat is simple but enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Amazon said I would get my copy today. They lied to me!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the impressions of Popolcrois.

Are there any full reviews floating around?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

The White Dragon posted:

monogame is cute in that the sole developer of the engine has never implemented garbage collection

:psyduck:

Is it some kind of running joke with his programmer friends? That's terrifying.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I'd play Stardew if it was on DS or something because my tube ride into work is just lost time otherwise. But if I'm at home I have so many better (worse) games to play and so much other stuff to do. (That I'm sadly addicted to)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TurnipFritter posted:

An important new addition to the franchise: You can have capybaras and maine coons as pets.

Okay so there's American Town, Japan town and what India Town? I do like their clothes I'm just too dumb to pin the obvious culture they're going for here.

Also Popolecrois is definitely a JRPG first and a farming game second, but its hitting some familiar Rune Factory 1 beats in being an early, clumsy yet charming marriage between two styles of games. I do like when you beat bosses for dungeons that they actually say "some weak mook takes their place in the power vacuum" but you can easily go in and beat them for another reward.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 4, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean I'd play Stardew if it was on DS or something because my tube ride into work is just lost time otherwise. But if I'm at home I have so many better (worse) games to play and so much other stuff to do. (That I'm sadly addicted to)

15 bucks is a steal for how good it is and you're missing out by not playing on your PC even if you otherwise wouldn't play a Harvest Moon game at all.

I've enjoyed Harvest Moon games for over a decade but I don't see how I'm going to be able to go back to them after Stardew. Just a bunch of stupid poo poo that's in every Harvest Moon game was reworked to actually be decent or fun in Stardew.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Crabtree posted:

Okay so there's American Town, Japan town and what India Town? I do like their clothes I'm just too dumb to pin the obvious culture they're going for here.

I think it's supposed to be a generalized Polynesian style.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm enjoying PopolaSoS, it's pretty simple , especially the farming aspect of it but overall it's a good filler until the next actual SoS for me. And agreed, the rpg aspects are simplistic but still fun. English voice acting is wretched.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm gonna gently caress the hot dad

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Toriori posted:

I'm enjoying PopolaSoS, it's pretty simple , especially the farming aspect of it but overall it's a good filler until the next actual SoS for me. And agreed, the rpg aspects are simplistic but still fun.

Yeah this game gets a solid OK from me. The story is cute but don't get it if you wanna farm.

Toriori posted:

English voice acting is wretched.

Mr. Hero!!!!!!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Met posted:

15 bucks is a steal for how good it is and you're missing out by not playing on your PC even if you otherwise wouldn't play a Harvest Moon game at all.

I've enjoyed Harvest Moon games for over a decade but I don't see how I'm going to be able to go back to them after Stardew. Just a bunch of stupid poo poo that's in every Harvest Moon game was reworked to actually be decent or fun in Stardew.

Sprinklers make me weep with joy. It is so incredibly good to walk outside and see the day's watering already done. That alone makes Stardew worth playing to me.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Gematsu posted:

■ Lulucoco Village Marriage Candidates

Lulucoco Village is an exotic village where a mysterious ruin exists and with a beach that echoes the pleasant sound of the waves. Tropical fruits and marine products are aplenty here, and you’ll find people wearing colorful ethnic outfits.

Iuka (Bride Candidate)

The older of the twin sisters that run the beach tea house in Lulucoco Village. She is also a shrine maiden with a mysterious power. Although slightly strong-minded, she has a bright personality and is liked by everyone. She’s often either at the Lulucoco Village beach tea house or at her house.

Shiuka (Bride Candidate)

The younger of the twin sisters that run the beach tea house in Lulucoco Village. Just like her sister, she is also a shrine maiden with a mysterious power. She has vast knowledge of medicinal plants, moves at her own pace, and is sometimes absentminded. She spends much of her day at the beach tea house or in the sea.

Rudeus (Groom Candidate)

A jack of all trades living in Lulucoco Village. He is a childhood friend of the twin sisters, and is adored by the children of the village. He specializes in home renovations and farm circle creation, and can make anything if you have the material for it. You’ll find him walking around Lulucoco Village checking things out.

■ From Friendship to Love

Making Friends

Through everyday conversation and gift-giving, you can raise your favorability. Since giving a gift not suited to that person could lower your favorability, you should research what they like beforehand.

Becoming a Couple

After becoming friends, you can confess your love using the required “Pendant” item. After you become boyfriend and girlfriend, you can enjoy more intimate conversations and love events.

Proposal and Marriage

Once the love between boyfriend and girlfriend deepens, you can finally propose. When you’re married and become a family, you’ll begin a new life on the farm.

Children

After you’re married for some time, your family will grow, and you can manage the farm together with the love of your family.

link. :tem: This will be the HM/SoS game I actually play when it comes out instead of years afterwards :) Still hoping they'll reveal at least one gay character though

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Knorth posted:

link. :tem: This will be the HM/SoS game I actually play when it comes out instead of years afterwards :) Still hoping they'll reveal at least one gay character though

Seeing as they specified "the bond between boyfriend and girlfriend", I somehow doubt it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Junpei Hyde posted:

Seeing as they specified "the bond between boyfriend and girlfriend", I somehow doubt it.

Yeah, I noticed that :(

Still holding out hope that it was just translation quirk but not really optimistic about it...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Junpei Hyde posted:

That sounds more like the Gematsu guy's wording. I'd have to see the Japanese text, but the screenshot with the guy uses the gender neutral "koibito".

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't know anything about how Gematsu runs but I really wish they'd translate more than just the marriage candidate bios... Like, I want to know who these people are and what's going on with those pets

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

That sounds more like the Gematsu guy's wording. I'd have to see the Japanese text, but the screenshot with the guy uses the gender neutral "koibito".

Oh OK. There still probably won't be gay marriage so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Knorth posted:

I don't know anything about how Gematsu runs but I really wish they'd translate more than just the marriage candidate bios... Like, I want to know who these people are and what's going on with those pets

I'm not great at translation but I can give a rundown of those.

Besides the marriage candidates, that's the fisherman, the grocer, and their children.

The pet page has a partial list of the cat and dog breeds available. You can have multiple pets and select a main one as your soulmate. That one gives you presents and gets special events with the other animals.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Knorth posted:

I assume it'll be like the last two where you're androgynous as hell and can crossdress so you can kludge it if you want

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Am I the only one that wishes they'd go back to sprites instead of these ugly unexpressive 3d models?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I'm loving these character designs

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Yeah man. I hope the gameplay is solid too, because I love that they're going for a more exotic aesthetic.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any word on a release date?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Christmas Cake posted:

I'm not great at translation but I can give a rundown of those.

Besides the marriage candidates, that's the fisherman, the grocer, and their children.

The pet page has a partial list of the cat and dog breeds available. You can have multiple pets and select a main one as your soulmate. That one gives you presents and gets special events with the other animals.

Ahh, that sounds good! Thanks :)

Blhue posted:

I assume it'll be like the last two where you're androgynous as hell and can crossdress so you can kludge it if you want

I really hope that's still the case

LLSix posted:

Any word on a release date?

June 23, for Japan. Nothing for anywhere else so far

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In the first rune factory, is there anyway to manually move monsters into different huts? Can I have say 2 monsters in one hut and 2 monsters in another hut without filling up the first hut?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, this thread didn't die after all. Almost finished with Return to PopoloCrois and it was a decent ride if not the best harvest moon. You basically raised crops just to have something to sell or something to craft into gear/gifts for girls; the game is very easy even on hard difficulty, I really liked most of the characters and its not bad for a time sink. Cute game for cute farmers.

And according to this ancient gamefaqs post, no, there is no way to control monster assignment outside of deliberately capturing one type to fill up one barn. I'll have to dig out the cartridge to make sure, but I don't remember being able to do that in RF1.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Does SV blowing up annoy anybody else? In a total 'you guys are just getting excited over HM mechanics that have been around since-' way?

In other news, RF was on special on my 3DS estore. Not sure if that was just NZ though.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Does SV blowing up annoy anybody else? In a total 'you guys are just getting excited over HM mechanics that have been around since-' way?

Imo a thing I like being popular is good.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Imo a thing I like being popular is good.
Yeah + 'stop having fun in your way' etc.

I'm just secretly curious whether SV is actually worth playing if you've played HM heaps.

Love.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah + 'stop having fun in your way' etc.

I'm just secretly curious whether SV is actually worth playing if you've played HM heaps.

Love.

I haven't played it very much but from what I can tell it's both:

1. A really polished and good HM style game.

2. Available on PC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's kinda funny that they managed to beat Natsume to market and completely suck all the oxygen out of the PC J-farming market for them and probably everyone else.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's kinda funny that they managed to beat Natsume to market and completely suck all the oxygen out of the PC J-farming market for them and probably everyone else.
Natsume still has the IP for Legend of the River King.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've played about 40 hours of Stardew Valley and it's quite good. I prefer Rune Factory 4 overall, but Stardew Valley is better than all of the recent Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games imo.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
it lasted me about a week and a half of play before i had reached the point where i had nothing to spend my income on and became boring, whereas SoS took at least a month, so there's that

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Stardew Valley also doesn't timegate anything, though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rune Factory 4 is still the best harvest moon game, but Stardew Valley is a close second. I like the fishing in Stardew Valley the best out of any HM game, but it did take me a little while to get into. Stardew Valley and RF4 are on different systems so that makes it a pretty easy choice as to which to play.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah, I like Stardew ALMOST as much as I like RF4. The developer's favorite HM is BtN and it holds up pretty favorably to that era, with some more modern QOL stuff.

vv
Yeah, it's not so much deep as tonally weird, sometimes, which can be interesting but there just isn't enough distinct dialogue in it.

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 21, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stardew valley is kind of neat but people sold the game as 'woah look how deep this game is... it even has a starkly presented image of homelessness' but then everyone is really nice to the homeless guy and the mayor is all 'haha, hey, im happy to give you food!' and the rest of the characters are really boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the characters make pretty bad first impressions but then you get to know them more and make the pleasant discovery that like half the town has some form of depression

an accurate depiction of small towns

• Locked thread