Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Makanovy posted:

Took some inspiration from recent posts to set up my new phone. Cheers for the help.

Nova Launcher, Zooper and Circons Red Icon Pack.
Holy moly I never realized how useful three battery meters could be! I have to add this to my rig so I can always know how much I have left without having to move my eyes too much.

Semi-related:

Does anyone know of a battery life widget where the units are in episodes of Naruto?
Ex:
BATTERY LIFE:
2 MORE EPISODES OF NARUTO

I'd like something minimalist if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

First attempt at setting up any type of Homescreen of my own. I was using Themer for a while, but decided to take a crack at it. I used Nova, Dashclock, Flatcon White icons, and this wallpaper.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

vyst posted:

Did you pick that one in case you forgot what device you were using?

Or they have a Note 3 and want to remember the good old days when phone screens weren't huge.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Decided to try Miui on my Nexus 5. Aside from a few small issues it's surprisingly nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does it still send all your data to China?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

robodex posted:

Decided to try Miui on my Nexus 5. Aside from a few small issues it's surprisingly nice.

That looks very nice but I'm curious about why you like having a clock adjacent to another clock and why you choose to keep that awful menu button.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

RZA Encryption posted:

That looks very nice but I'm curious about why you like having a clock adjacent to another clock and why you choose to keep that awful menu button.

I needed something to fill that 2x1 space and I didn't realize you could change menu buttons :shobon:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

robodex posted:

I needed something to fill that 2x1 space and I didn't realize you could change menu buttons :shobon:

Minimalist Text with a 2x1 date widget would be thematically appropriate and far less redundant.

m5ind
Jun 6, 2011

Musical, you say?

Figured I might as well post what I have right now.

Weather widget is Eye in Sky, date is Minimalistic Text. Background is this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat, I was kinda hoping it was live.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

nova, holo icons. htc one m8.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Twist two fingers to the right for app drawer, two fingers left for recent apps. Two fingers up to show/hide status bar, and two fingers down for notification drawer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bring Back Noid posted:

Twist two fingers to the right for app drawer, two fingers left for recent apps. Two fingers up to show/hide status bar, and two fingers down for notification drawer.
Big fan of these?

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Haha I could never use those. I just really like having a clean home screen, and after a week of using gestures like that, I can't go back.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bring Back Noid posted:

Haha I could never use those. I just really like having a clean home screen, and after a week of using gestures like that, I can't go back.
What if you're holding something in one hand and want to use your phone with the other?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What if you're holding something in one hand and want to use your phone with the other?

Grip tape

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I set thing down, typically. Or I wait until I don't need to be carrying thing, because hey, what's so important on my phone that I can't wait 2 minutes?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bring Back Noid posted:

I set thing down, typically. Or I wait until I don't need to be carrying thing, because hey, what's so important on my phone that I can't wait 2 minutes?

Certainly nothing as important as having your phone be a picture frame for the second between you unlocking your phone and opening an app.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Certainly nothing as important as having your phone be a picture frame for the second between you unlocking your phone and opening an app.

I like having a clean desktop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bring Back Noid posted:

I like having a clean desktop.
It's not a desktop, it's a second lock screen.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Here's my daily driver:

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It's not a desktop, it's a second lock screen.

It is and it isn't, I see your point, but I also have security on my lock screen. This means that you cannot receive notifications from apps prior to unlocking. 75% of my app use is Facebook, messaging, snapchat, etc which all give me popup notifications.

This means I can navigate to said apps when I need to by way of clicking the notification when it pops up, with one hand even. The other most used app is Awful, which is open for long periods so I'm not I'm and out of it very often anyway. If I need to get to other recently opened apps without going to the drawer, I just have to hold my home button, which again can be done one handed. It's not like I'm hamstringing myself terribly by having a gesture to open the app drawer rather than the icon.

What else am I supposed to have on my desktop? I have my battery stats, network info, clock, etc all at the top. I get weather and traffic info automatically from Google now as a notification. It works pretty smoothly.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not enough clocks, obviously.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Here's my daily driver:

Sick, how'd you get your carrier as a persistent notification? I'd love to be reminded of my love for T-Mob every time I look at my phone.

Also my home screen is about the same, but you're supposed to have Gmail/Chrome on the right and Phone/Hangouts on the left. Otherwise, you about reached perfection.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Sick, how'd you get your carrier as a persistent notification? I'd love to be reminded of my love for T-Mob every time I look at my phone.

Also my home screen is about the same, but you're supposed to have Gmail/Chrome on the right and Phone/Hangouts on the left. Otherwise, you about reached perfection.

Are you for real?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wadjamaloo posted:

Are you for real?

I like yours too! But I'm more of a fan of simplicity, ease of use, and aesthetic consistency, so RZA Encryption would get my vote for "top android home screen" award.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Working on a homescreen.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bring Back Noid posted:

What else am I supposed to have on my desktop?

apps

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

I like yours too! But I'm more of a fan of simplicity, ease of use, and aesthetic consistency, so RZA Encryption would get my vote for "top android home screen" award.

Homeboy needs to check his gmail.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

They're in the app drawer, categorized. Why do I need them on my home screen?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Here's my daily driver:

Hell yeah I love the background.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Maybe I should have bolded the part I was talking about.

RVProfootballer posted:

I also changed my desktop and now I'm just using this theme for Lightning Launcher. Working on tweaking it a bit to better suit my needs, but LLX is really cool, like the tasker of launchers.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 12, 2014

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Are there any good lock screen replacements out there I don't know about?

I have been using Go Locker for almost a year now but the recent updates suck. So far I've tried Cover, DashClock and HoloLocker and didn't like them.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bring Back Noid posted:

They're in the app drawer, categorized. Why do I need them on my home screen?

One less button to press? I never understood the point of an app drawer.

Disharmony posted:

Are there any good lock screen replacements out there I don't know about?

I have been using Go Locker for almost a year now but the recent updates suck. So far I've tried Cover, DashClock and HoloLocker and didn't like them.

Widget locker is good, made by the Nova guys.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

leidend posted:

One less button to press? I never understood the point of an app drawer.
This to me is crazy. One thing I just can't understand about iOS is how useless it is when you aren't in an app. I want information presented to me in a concise manner sorting the relevant out which is exactly what a well-designed home screen will do.

I'm just saying it seems like there's a happy medium between "Blank picture with nothing on it", "Homescreen filled with a thousand widgets detailing every possible metric having to do with my phone and data", and "Array of icons exactly like the app drawer except sorted differently"

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

I'm not completely opposed to having a widget if it's completely unobtrusive to the clean homescreen, but I just don't have any need for any widgets at the moment. I like the blank canvas of my homescreen I guess a little because I grew up with MSDOS and I actually find something soothing about the empty command prompt.

It's probably annoying to people who aren't me, I get that. I run my Windows PC kind of same way. Nothing on the desktop except recycle bin. There are 4 toolbars I made in the lower right corner of the taskbar. One for "Apps" with categories of programs organized by folders. One for "Games" with all of the genres of games in folders, one for "Music" again categorized by genre, and an "etc" one for various picture/media folders that I have scattered across the hard drive. Everything I use often is right there, and I don't ever have to go far to get it.

Like this, only more organized:

The arrows next to "Computer" and the other folder when clicked will expand with the contents of that folder. In my case you'd click on the arrow next to "Games" and then it opens a list of folders like "FPS" "Racing" "Rhythm" etc, and then within those folders are your game shortcuts. Same with apps, and so on.

Is this insane? I guess I just like the way this works.

Bring Back Noid fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 13, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bring Back Noid posted:

It's probably annoying to people who aren't me, I get that. I run my Windows PC kind of same way.
Whenever I use Windows I do exactly the same thing (well, I disable icons on the desktop entirely) but that's not really analogous.

I think of a smartphone as the point at which I'm consuming information. Some things are necessary to know about right away, some things I want to be aware of but not act on, and then there are some things that I'll go actively find out about. A good homescreen can sort all of that out for you.

It seems like Google looks it the same way I do given their approach to Android L. There's Now in the notification shade, more informative notifications, and at one point they seemed to be trying to push all the information sorting out to the lockscreen and going to an iOS-like direct-to-drawer "homescreen".

Like I said, I'm sure there's a good medium in between all the extremes but I don't get the feeling anyone is really doing it great. Maybe there needs to be a massive rethink of the whole concept (something that the market would seem to bear out given stuff like Action Launcher and other more esoteric launcher ideas).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I use windows similarly, with a clean desktop and toolbar access to commonly used items. The one thing I do differently though is that I use the desktop as a work space and temporary storage. If there is a project I am working on I will put the resources such as pictures, text files, programs downloaded for niche use on the desktop and then delete them after the project is done.
If its a longer term project I file things away in a folder, but its nice to have that workspace for those things.

On my phone I love widgets and organized folders with apps. I want quick access to as much information as I can.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

vyst posted:

Grip tape

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bring Back Noid posted:

what's so important on my phone that I can't wait 2 minutes?

Dialing 911?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
To be fair, if you like having a clean homescreen, you should've chosen a better wallpaper than a logo. And alternatively, you could've just gotten some transparent icons but to each his own.

• Locked thread