Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Francis posted:

I don't see how they approach ten million without a near-simultaneous PC release, which they didn't announce. Even then it's very optimistic given the Japanese market today vs. when XIII came out.

They probably are banking on the multimedia strategy thing pulling in good work for them, with the anime + movie drawing in more people for the games release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bloodychill posted:

On the other hand, gamers in general give way less of a poo poo about Lightning than even SA does. It's less "I hate Lightning" and more "Lightning was the hero in 13 right? Well, Final Fantasy was pretty good when there were games coming out but I kinda stop paying attention around [pick one of the games]."

Who is "gamers in general" in this context? Like, people who only buy Madden/Call of Duty and maybe sometimes Assasin's Creed? The only cases I know for people like that, they've never even played a Final Fantasy, let alone make a judgement call on the series. Or people who probably only played 6/7 and maybe 8 or 10.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kild posted:

Anything I should know about Tales of Abyss before I start playing it?

The game loves to talk about it's silly anime magic physics system that they have in it's world, so be prepared to hear an obnoxiously large amount of "fonon" and related things in the dialogue.

Kild posted:

nothing stupid like zodiac spear in 12 or getting screwed if you sell gear?

Not like that, just usually because it requires you to backtrack to weird earlier parts of the game at random spots that can be missable and it's hard to keep track of them all.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

honestly i think people oversell the anime magic physics system. they talk about it a lot but it's built off literally 3 words, it's not hard to keep track of.

Well it is fairly prominent. I don't mind it myself since it's basically just technobabble, but some people are deathly allergic to it apparently, so it merits a warning I think.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
You definitely won't understand twewy's battle system in the first 2-3 hours. Some don't even figure it out even after completing the game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GulagDolls posted:

it's not hard to understand. you can kinda just mash buttons for the top screen while focusing all your attention on the bottom.

I wouldn't say that entirely. You can do that for a lot since you don't need to play into the minigames on the top, but even still just dividing attention between the two screens isn't something a lot of people can grasp for a while. That's partly why telling people the "focus on the puck" attention strat is okay because it helps you play better not because of any mechanics, but just as a tip on how and where to put attention. Putting it all in the bottom screen isn't going to work out all the time.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Man Whore posted:

Aww man, I was hoping to play an anime dad/grandpa

Maybe they'll change it for the overseas market again.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Well the PC not having a personality is kind of the point if you are talking about stuff like Skyrim. You invent your own characterization based on your imagination and your actions.

Yeah but that doesn't make it interesting, some people aren't really into that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

A MIRACLE posted:

Is Undertale an RPG? Some skeleton brothers are just being weird as poo poo at me. I can't even tell if this is a game or not yet

Yes, it is an rpg

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
For some reason, I thought the ' a pause, so I thought it was like Bah-Ahl.

And while the innuendos are funny, it's also a bit sad since they have legit cool designs and its a bit underwhelming for them to get a sort of silly name from that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

MotU posted:

Vesperia, Xillia, Legendia

Legendia would probably fit "below-average Tales-Of" in the context of this conversation by most people. It has a lot of weird gameplay decisions that end up making it a bit of a slog to play. So it's not at all surprising if you found it not too great as well.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

BabyRyoga posted:

I thought Bravely Second was pretty bad considering it's literally tropes the game

Is reconstructing magical moon bases, Moon people being french, plush making mini games, and Literal Magic College Town all "tropes the game"? I've played a lot more games that don't have anything weird like that but aren't really called out for being tropey.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

BabyRyoga posted:

Chars that do nothing except talk about food are pretty tropey, and also a bunch of plot "twist" stuff that happens in the game is also tropey and or just cheesy. Aside from that, the side quest scenarios were rather slapsticky and non-nonsensical to me. Almost like they are parodying the game itself.

I didn't say that the game didn't have tropes at all, because of course at some point it probably would. But from what little I've played so far, it's already had some new/unique stuff, and it's unfair to declare everything as "trope the game" when you then ignore the bunches of stuff it does that isn't. I'm sure as I go on longer there will probably be even more things that are unusual, like, I can't think of many games that have something like the Catmancer enough that I'd call it a trope. Also what Impatom said.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

exquisite tea posted:

There's Yu Yevon at the end of FFX but nobody ever remembers him because by that point your party is usually strong enough to annihilate him in one hit. FFX is kind of odd in that the final boss both thematically and in terms of difficulty is Jecht, and the rest with the aeons plays out like an extended epilogue.

Yu Yevon is a bit diffreent because for a long while in FFX you get the sense that there's something up in the world and there's more to the "Sin Destroys Everything" than at face value. Yu Yevon isn't given a name till quite a ways in, but by that point it isn't surprising because the party should've known something was up in the world. I assumed the Necron thing was for bosses with very little foreshadowing, which I would not say is what Yu Yevon was.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

voltcatfish posted:

RPG Thread, it is conceivable some of you have never played The World Ends With You before.

Go play it.

Amazingly I feel the style it oozes still holds up ten years later, and I'm having as much fun playing it again today as I did when it first came out.

Speaking of TWEWY, anyone know if the iOS port is any good?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Courier, like the Bhaalspawn and the Watcher, has to be the centre of the universe because in a number of WRPGs your allies are completely optional and you can complete the game solo. Though that gives me the idea for a story-driven RPG where you can go out of your way to avoid people and still finish the game. You could finish Alpha Protocol without once ever meeting SIE and the plot still made sense. Maybe a game could give you the option to achieve your goals while leaving the cast in the dark to your existence.

I don't think that's entirely the reason. I just think it's a case of the general philosophy of WRPGs, where the player can do or determine everything. They design most everything to have a sense of freedom that the player chooses from, so it makes sense that the narratives usually also focus on that angle to enforce that feeling that you're character is the one that has strength in that world.

tenderjerk posted:

Is there any reason to track down bravely default if you are really liking the second one? I would guess that the QOL improvements, this story is poo poo, reused assets etc. would say no, but hot mama this game is fun as hell and I want more game like it

e:also its really expensive, holy poo poo

I wouldn't say the story is poo poo, just has a hard pill to swallow when you hear about what it does, but past that hurdle it actually does neat things.

The gameplay is basically the same, so yeah if you love the sequel I'd absolutely say check out the first (unless you were just really in love with Yew/Magnolia). BS does spoil the entire game though sadly, but it's still a fun ride, especially the endgame/postgame.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Verranicus posted:

Holy moly, Tales of Graces F has one of the least compelling casts of any Tales game I've played. Maybe I expect too much from them now after having played stars like Abyss, Vesperia and the Destiny remake but I'm really struggling to keep going with it. Doesn't help that I don't care for these battle systems that use CC rather than regular HP/TP like the older games. I may just have bad opinions and rose tinted glasses, though, since I played an hour or two of Xillia to see if I'd like it more than Graces and while the story/presentation is at least better the whole link battle thing makes the combat dreadful for me.

How did you enjoy Destiny Remake when you just said you didn't like the CC systems? IMO the story and characters weren't a lot much better than Graces anyways.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm not sure if chosen one is one of those things that really gets associated badly with jRPGs anymore. At least, it's not derogatory or the forefront of tropes that get associated with them I think.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Chrono Trigger is Peak Trope. Everything you expect to happen in a JRPG happens in Chrono Trigger.

I don't remember Chrono trigger having a hot spring section though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rascyc posted:

Tried to do just that and forgot I was in one of the chapters to go kill everyone again. I couldn't remember where they all are or the map so stopped that fast.

Do you have the hint pointers turned on? The game is pretty much always 100% with showing you where you need to go/do with those on, so it should be a simple fix.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Libluini posted:

Jokin aside, I prefer English voices, since I can actually understand them. Nothing is more annoying then needing to have your eyeballs glued to the screen so you can read what is going on.

I, too, do not like reading "words".

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Personally I like FF13's a lot more, but yeah X-2's is a cut above most other FF battle systems. I'd wish forr ff7r to use it again but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they instead tried to make that more like 15's.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I'm into, I presume, the final dungeon of Trails in the Sky (FC), and goddamn did the difficulty spike :stare:.

95% of the game you can cruise through okay so long as you aren't deliberately skipping encounters, but in the last dungeon they start throwing enemies at you out to bring pain. No elemental weaknesses, high defense, and one of the bigger types can Cancel your party member's spellcasting. And they often come in a pair or trio :argh:.

What difficulty are you playing on? Normal/hard/nightmare?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bloodychill posted:

It might be the norm for Persona (I have no idea) but people can still be disappointed, especially since the most high profile JRPG (FF15) is getting a world-wide release.

The difference is in the budgets between the two games you are comparing here.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I like Sophisticated fight exactly because it isn't a generic jrpg "Try to be excited for this extremely tiny battle vs some mooks!". While still arguably generic, the jazz is a different flavor than normal that's slightly calming (cause Jazz) but still has good energy in it with the percussion. It feels more relaxing in comparison which is very welcome for the small random fights. Random mook battles don't need high energy exciting songs that will just get tiring after 100+ hours or w/e.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Verranicus posted:

Slow, boring jazz gets old after 100+ hours just like traditional exciting battle music. It also puts you to sleep coupled with the atrociously slow gameplay.

Disagree about the music then, not gonna touch the gameplay comment.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

corn in the bible posted:

the only scifi jrpg is opoona

Opoona is the cutest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOUzf_i53k

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bloodychill posted:

-Xenoblade: Moderately deep battle/skill system, interesting world/lore, good writing and VA. If you try it, stay away from doing lots of sidequests because it will overpower you and make the game less fun.

Mokinokaro posted:

The sequel is also an interesting game though not nearly as good as the first,

It's extremely light on plot and characterization over having more of a quest focus. I'm kind of mixed on the approach.

TBH, I think these games aren't supposed to be just "do the story and ignore the sidequests for a while" given the amount and all the stuff they put into the quests. Plus, fwiw, when I tried to go through the first game without doing any sidequests I got gated by levels several times. It really feels like they intend for you to do a bunch of sidequests in the areas as you get to them. Not ALL of them (since frequently you can't do them all from the get-go) but definitely do some of them.

The White Dragon posted:

because i know cavia games and they're like sting games except they don't have sweet to go along with the bitter in the endings

There's a tiny bit of sweetness I felt in Nier. Still pretty dour overall but it's not completely bitter.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

who said that?

Me. All games should be 2-5 hours tops so that I can beat it in one weekend afternoon and still have time to make dinner. Thanks for listening.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

and yeah just play trails of cold steel or something instead of setsuna

Not on PC...yet? I dunno if there was any word if it was coming to PC

The Colonel posted:

trails in the sky is probably the way better turn-based combat jrpg on pc

Undertale

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
:darksouls:?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stelas posted:

I'm having another try at XCX and good loving god I wish it was a little kinder in its autoattack ranges so that I don't get dumpstered immediately whenever I want to try to poke around some of the weirder places, as a level 60 legend thing decides to kick my rear end after dropping from the ceiling or whatever

I haven't gotten to this game yet (I only recently beat the first, and I've no interest to immediately jump into another 150+ hour game), but does the game not have you determine to start attacking by pressing the B Button like the first? I liked it in the first game since it just lets you determine when you wanted to fight.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zereth posted:

Is this an accurate depiction of how the music was in-game?

Basically yeah. Though that one in particular is the most soul crushing probably.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Clarste posted:

I thought it was supposed to be low budget.

$2.5 million isn't really that much in the grand scope of game budgets, so while bad it isn't like super terribly sunk.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Looper posted:

Are there any Final Fantasies that aren't breakable?

I'm not sure if ff13 is really that much exploitable? At best you can have one of the better parties like something with Sahz, but he doesn't really blindly help you out of everything if you don't already understand the battle system well enough I think, so that's different.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

Understanding how to use and upgrade accessories can really really shatter a lot of challenge. (It's how no-crysatrium runs are done.). It's not really breaking the game but a lot of people don't touch the upgrade system or only do it to get ultimate weapons.

Oh, I suppose there's that, yeah. I kinda thought the whole exploit discussion was along the lines of "what is a strategy you can adopt that is effective and doesn't require you to explore or know the mechanics of the game". And personally I'd put down FF13's weapon upgrade system as near impenetrable (to be efficient) unless you know exactly what is going on or what you're doing, even if you simplify it to just buying sturdy bones/superconductors since by then you'll pretty much already know how it works.

Golden Goat posted:

Moving about in XCX was great, really made moving about in other open world games feel like poo poo in comparision.

The songs were incredibly goofy, Lin and Tatsu's running joke sucked & any quests requesting you find x items was awful.

Going through XCX right now, like 20 hours in, and I'm actually pretty surprised that this running joke is still going on. It wasn't funny when it first happened, and yet they keep going back to it. Someone on the dev team must've thought it was super hilarious, I guess?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rascyc posted:

Anyone happy with their PS4 Pro upgrade for RPGs? Trying to decide if it's worth it for Horizon, Nier, and I guess maybe Mass Effect. Don't know about anything else that might benefit from it.

It helped with Kingdom Hearts 2.8 with the 0.2 Fragmentary Passage gameplay, which was more or less a tech demo for KH3. So I imagine KH3 will eventually benefit as well from the Pro.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I knew about 358/2 Days or whatever. But you're loving with me, right? This isn't a real Kingdom Hearts game that actually exists or a real area in it?

I'm a personal fan of the PS4 port collection of the 2 PS3 collections, 1.5 and 2.5, which is being titled: Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Some one post Nomura's explaination for why he called it 2.8.

Oh God it's even dumber than I originally thought:

quote:

Speaking with Famitsu, the Kingdom Hearts designer explained that there are various meanings contained in the naming. “This Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance compilation follows the previously HD work 2.5...and is worthy as taking its place as 2.6,” said Nomura.

M’kay.

Continuing, he added that the thinking is that the absence of Sora in Kingdom Hearts χ and Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ as well as the χ series in Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover is the number zero.

Oh.

“Because Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep is 0.1, this is how the 0.2 came to be put in the latest Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep,” Nomura added.

“Thus,” Nomura said, “the 2.8 number appears from 2.6 plus 0 plus 0.2.”

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Nate RFB posted:

Bravely Second was....disappointing....I'd take the "downside" of chapters 5-8 in the original in a heartbeat over that whole mess.

Wanted to just quickly chime in that I agree with you. BS tried really hard to be funny, quirky, and charming, and while it had a lot of fun times I mostly just felt myself dragging through everything cause I could never connect to the party's interactions like I could in the first game. I got real tired of the camping/food scenes in BS really fast. Outside of chapter 5, I was okay with BD's world resets, and even then I didn't have much of an issue with chapter 5 due to the surprise factor making it feel a little fresh to me.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I honestly do not understand the "Bravely Default was better written" talk.

I really disliked BS's ending compared to BD's. BD wasn't exactly subtle, but BS literally breaking the 4th wall to call you into action (staring right at you through the camera) in it's climactic moments was just too much for me. And idk, I liked the plotline of Ouroboros trying to break out via world connections a lot more than the stuff with Vega/Altair/Providence which I didn't feel connected to at all throughout the normal gameplay.

And even with everything beforehand, I liked BD's trek to awaken the crystals with all of it's events more than the events in BS. The most memorable segments that I really liked in BS were the section where you have to avoid getting sniped by Aimee (cause I liked that idea a lot + Aimee is cool imo) and when Diamante shows up (cause I just think it's a cool monster design). Where as I liked most everything in BD's scenario, even that dumb section where you have to backtrack around the world to find a good home for the kid from the mines.

Terper posted:

Geist and the final asterisk are both the best characters in either game, soz

The new characters that I really liked were Geist+his son, Aimee, and Janne. Overall though, I still found myself liking pretty much all the characters better in how they were in BD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Default literally turns the camera on in the last battle to show your face while revealing that you were the person controlling Tiz all along. It helluva breaks the fourth wall.

I know, that's cool imo because it shows what Tired Mortiz said. And like I said in that post, BD wasn't subtle. But it makes a big difference to me though that when Ouroboros does it, he doesn't turn right towards the camera and start talking directly to the player. That's the differing point that crosses the line for me.