Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Levantine posted:

I'm playing Fairy Fencer F now and it's alright. TBH, I'm quickly getting bored with it but it has some neat stuff going on with the battle system and some customization. Soundtrack is cheesy but kind of fun. Gamefly it maybe, that's what I did.

Oh god, the transformation music :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

HGH posted:

Pretty much straight out of a dumb TV show.
The second half of the game also changes up the combat music and unfortunately uses something less cheesy and more "dramatic" I guess. Nice guitars though.

Really? That sucks, since the first transformation song is so dumb that it's cool, and I loving love it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

VC does rule

when you inevitable get stuck on chapter 7 come back here and i'll give you quality advice

It's been a while since I played it, is chapter 7 the kidnapping in Randgris? That was a pain in the rear end, but abusing like 3-4 shocktroopers for reaction shots into the rear of the transport was how I ended up doing it.

I swear, one of these days I'll finally finish VC2. That day is not today, nor will it be a day where VC3 is localized :eng99:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Nah Chapter 7 is big loving tank chapter

or if it's not, I meant the big loving tank chapter

also VC3 has a translation patch, skip VC2 and get that

Oh really? Sounds like a plan. I don't exactly hate VC2, but I don't have the drive to finish the story like I had with the first.

Those of you playing Natural Doctrine, how is the Vita version? I mean, I could always buy it on PS4 and cross-play it. I haven't messed around with the interaction between the two yet so I have no idea how it works. I assume Sony want me to buy a copy on both systems for the cross-play, cross-save gimmick. Basically, I love lovely anime J/SRPGs and can't decide on if I want the Vita or PS4 version.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Oblivion590 posted:

No, that one is Chapter 10. You can complete it in 1-2 turns if you use the same unit for all of your actions and don't get yourself killed off along the way.

drat, it's a lot further into the game than I remembered it. Shocktroop spam was fun though. Watching it move and have a literal firing squad blaze away and complete the mission in the enemy turn was amusing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I think my main issue was that I was pumping all my XP into Scouts and Lancers since between the two classes, they solved like 95% of all problems. Oh boy, did I learn my mistake after chapter 10...

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Himuro posted:

Is..SA known for pedophilia or something?
You've been here for 7 years now, you tell me :shrug:

WrightOfWay posted:

Most of the maps are so small that you can just use Shocktroopers most of the time. They also have the added bonus of actually being able to kill things without needing an Ace weapon and/or a bit of luck for headshots.
Did they find a way to make ace weapons not suck rear end? In VC1 they were almost entirely guns with a little more damage, but with a range and accuracy penalty that doesn't make the extra damage seem worth it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Ace weapons are insane in VC3 (half the time, the other half suck)

Ten shot scout weapon stronger than the five shots being sold, shocktrooper weapons that are twice as strong with reticules the size of a pinhole, sure why not.
:getin:
Sounds a lot better than the usual 6-shot scout rifle with the range and spread of your average shocktrooper machine gun.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

madmac posted:

All the VC chat has made me curious. I ended up dropping the first Valkyria Chronicles sometime after the game started giving every enemy on every map a stat-ruining gun because holy crap that's stupid, is that still a thing in the later games?

I don't remember many of them having -stat weapons, but most aces past the first couple of chapters did. Maybe because I was heavily invested in Scouts I just frequently outranged the enemy shocktroops so I rarely got hit by them. Keep in mind the enemy's weapons are practically all lower-range versions of guns you get by default, so your shocktroopers will generally half-kill theirs while they try go get in range of you.

The game is great, and I still get the itch to replay it every year or so.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

oblomov posted:

I just realized that PS3 for me was the only platform where I outright dropped several major RPGs after just a few hours of play. FFXIII, Ar Tonelico 3, Neptunia 2, Agharest 2, and SO4... All were bought with "how bad could it be mindset". I haven't played first Neptunia or Agharest but heard that sequels were better and like the games in the other 3 series.

I guess it's good that I came in late to PS3 ear and got all these fairly cheaply. Funny enough I picked up XIII PC port to tool around with modded graphics and Japanese voices.
There's a lot of SO4 hate in this thread, but I actually liked it. Am I missing something by not playing any of the precursors in the series?

People considering Nosurge: save yourselves and grab Fairy Fencer F instead. It's simple, dumb and amusing on a power-rangers level and it is fantastically middle-ground by being neither good or bad. A much less risky pickup than Nosurge for those who still hold apprehension towards the Ar series.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Looks like I opened up one hell of a worm can with that question :ohdear: although Edge Maverick is a name dragged from the darkest depths of the caverns of Pretentia.

The Black Stones posted:

I refuse to give Compile Heart money.
As far as gimmicky anime games go, at least Compile Heart are relatively low on the creepy totem pole.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Developer: Compile Heart.
Oh god, I didn't know. I take back everything I said. I obviously didn't play too far through any of them, they just seemed like a gimmicky moe RPG on the outside.

Endorph posted:

is edge maverick that much dumber of a name than cloud strife
When we were all young those naming conventions were 'cool'. By today's standards, not so much.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

You're the only person who's opinions I respect on lovely JRPGs even if I ignore you and play them anyways. I am what's wrong with the industry.
I'm with you there, I just bought NAtURAL DOCtRINE :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I hope the CANVAS engine turns out well on PC :ohdear: initial feedback seems to suggest that it's turned out to be a good port though, which eases my mind a little.
With all this talk of Trails in the Sky 2, I should probably get around to picking that game up again and finishing it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

oblomov posted:

Nier is cheap and absolutely worth it. Just remember that it's a bit janky and you are meant to play through it at least twice.
Nier was strange, and took a while to get into it's stride, but thankfully the soundtrack was great and NG+ starts you off at the part of the story where you can equip different weapon types. I really underestimate how great it is to skip the whole intro/prologue segment when doing NG+ in games, and it's a shame more devs don't try this approach.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Vyse and Aika are the best and you should never take them out of your Squad, even if you aren't a fan of Skies of Arcadia :colbert:.
This is great advice. Vyse also has a ton of badass dialogue when his battle potentials activate.
You're going to want to have Alicia, Largo and Rosie in every mission for the extra Command Points. A lot of the time you don't need more than one Lancer and since Largo's the only one that gives you more orders, it's a pretty obvious choice. This was something they fixed in the second game but maybe Sega has changed this in the port. I guess we'll find out shortly.

Super Jay Mann posted:

So I just plowed through LOH: Trails in the Sky on Steam over the past week or so and god damnit I should have just waited until SC came out damnit damnit damnit. :suicide:

I mean I guess I should have figured with there being a "second chapter" that they'd pull some poo poo at the end to tell you "nope you're not done yet" but I wasn't expecting all that.

That aside, excellent game and now I hold on to the unrealistic desire for all the future games past the second to be localized at some point.
I've had the game for a long time and just got around to playing through it again, I don't think I'm far off of finishing it, either. At least, not far off of 'to be continued' :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually part of this is wrong. You want Jann as well as Largo as your only two Lancers, because Jann gets a damage buff off being near Largo.
I forgot about that. I never really had the need for more than one outside of one or two missions though, scouts did a lot of the lifting with occasional Shocktroops covering them.
Did they keep the option for picking your own leaders in VC3? It was something I thought was a really good idea in VC2, but even giving leader status to some of the sub-optimal characters would create an interesting trade-off (as opposed to Alicia being the undisputed best scout in the game, but also gives you more CP for orders).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

It's most useful as mobile cover for troops that don't have the movement budget of the scouts that can weave through line of sight.

And generally to be a big target that draws fire from dangerous enemies (if you don't use it for that there's at least 1 mission IIRC where you'll be punished harshly for it).
I remember the mission you're talking about, and it was a really good one too.
Using it to run over enemy sandbags so you can headshot them is also a great idea. Using the tank is a great way to bait the AI into wasting a ton of CP on Lancers instead of Shocktroopers who can devour your scouts very quickly.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

oblomov posted:

Yeah, actually shocktroopers get pretty drat powerful. They are also almost unkillable. Shocktroopers/Snipers do work fairly well with retreat/deploy in some places where you can snag a forward base with a scout and then retreat/deploy your troopers/snipers/lancers to do something. Lancers are also very powerful. Lancer/Engineer team can do a better job then snipers in places (engineers for ammo) and are great at sniping tanks at weird angles from very far off. You can actually snipe snipers and other units, like on top of buildings with very high accuracy. If they don't see you I am not sure evade kicks in. At least so far I haven't seen that on Lancer shots from far away.
Confirming that enemies can only evade from attacks in their front arc (keeping in mind scouts see 270 degrees). There's a reason people mostly use flamethrowers/grenades on enemy aces.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Erg posted:

I finally have a PS3 and I'm in the mood for some decent to bad RPGs. How is Fairy Fencer F?
It's not bad, but it's not very good either. The transform music is the coolest, though.

alcharagia posted:

play Eternal Sonata instead
I've seen it on shelves a lot but never bought it. I really don't like the artstyle and all the characters look like they're literally 12. I already dislike JRPGs throwing in token 12 year old kid party members, but a whole game of them? Nah, I'll pass.

HGH posted:

Wasn't that the game so bad the localizers had to apologize for picking it up?
EDIT: Pfff oh man they really did:
:aaaaa:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The gameplay gets stale, but I'd say it's worth picking up for the bizarre humor and huge amounts of pretty princess dressup with your guns. Scope stacking for everyone, always.
I fixed this for you. You're welcome!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Anyways someone suggested I play Infinite Undiscovery and it looks neat. Anyone have an opinion on the game?
Aside from the name meaning almost literally nothing, the combat is pretty good. Other than that, typical anime plot. As I said a few pages back, stupid token 10 year old party members are the worst part of the game. One of the brats can talk to animals which can be useful in a lot of points in the game, but ultimately they can be ignored the entire game.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dackel posted:

Man I loved Lost Odyssey too :(
Lost Odyssey was great, the combat reminded me of the Legend of Dragoon and I loved the poo poo out of that game.
A shame that it's sales were so bad.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Jim Barris posted:

Enchanted Arms is the worst JRPG I have ever played. It's so lovely that even the people that made it realized it so they give you an option to auto-win every battle because the combat is such a boring mess. The protagonist has all the charisma of a dead dog and the supporting casts most interesting member is a gay stereotype. It's so bad. I curse the day I paid seven dollars for it.
The auto-win idea was so good that Square Enix ended up using it in FF13, so you could let the game play itself for the first 20 hours that it takes for it to actually become good :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For good reason, it's a dumb 'feature' that defeats the purpose of playing the game in the first place.

Square Enix, if you're going to make a game that plays itself, make a movie instead.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wasn't Advent Children absurdly popular though? Maybe I just know too many diehard FF fans IRL.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Spirits Within definitely wasn't!
I never actually heard of that one, and a quick Google search assures me that there's nothing to miss out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Exclusive to the handheld console nobody gives a gently caress about
Hey, the Vita thread gets more posts than this one does