Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Anyone in Austin been to the new Pinballz Arcade? It sounds like quite a place!

http://www.pinballzarcade.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

MarxCarl posted:

For those of you in the Tacoma, Washington area the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show is this weekend - http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

I'll be there today!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Clouseau posted:

The WOZ in Chicago is set similarly low and it doesn't increase after being exceeded. Not sure if that's not set by default or if they just didn't code it yet.

Was talking to one of the guys working at The Coin Jam, a new barcade that opened up in Salem, Oregon... apparently they had set the replay value at 45,000, but it would end up decreasing on its own to something like 7,000 and wouldnt go back up. I asked if there was something in the options to auto-adjust the replay value but they couldn't seem to find it, so they just disabled the score replay entirely. Which really hurts considering the game costs $1 a play, but it seems to be doing well anyway...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I'd never really bothered with Pinball FX2 but when I saw the Steam discounts I had to download it and give a try, figured there had to be some fun tables in there. But right away I noticed that there's input lag. Can't accurately shoot anything, I'd have to overcompensate and press earlier which doesn't feel natural at all. AND you can't even run the game windowed? The hell?

These two issues could be related, as sometimes games have lag in fullscreen that isn't present when running windowed (the recent release of King of Fighters 13 on Steam has this exact problem). Maybe if they ever patch it to give actual video options I'll give it a second chance.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Captain Cool posted:

I haven't noticed myself, but if you have an nvidia card, someone earlier in the thread said you should force max prerendered frames to 1 in the nvidia control panel.

this worked, thanks a lot!

Nurge posted:

This didn't work for me when I had the same problem, but the nvidia options switch definitely did. I switched to playing it windowed anyway because I prefer it that way, but that's your best bet.

Now how do you play it in windowed mode? Is there a mod for it or something?

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Chinook posted:

My favorite little audio clip from that game is "FOCUS"!!! (when you drop through an outlane), because it sounds so much like "gently caress IT!"

I hope I'm not the only person who hears this.

If anyone doesn't hear gently caress IT!!! then there's something wrong with them.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I've never really used Pinball Arcade much on any platform, but why doesn't Medieval Madness (on Steam anyway) save the local records for castles crushed, joust champions, damsels saved, etc? Another case of :farsight: ?

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Zeether posted:

He didn't play it, sadly. There was an episode where he played an EM machine with the owner of the arcade, with them each controlling one flipper. I think The Getaway was in that same episode.

He also played Lethal Weapon 3 in another episode

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

so I got the high score on a recently reset Addams Family machine in the arcade at a roller rink (in the year of our lord 2014). It's only significant to me because it beats my old high score of ~387 mil, which I was very proud of getting at the local arcade during the summer of 92, until some guy blew past it with a 500+ mil score. Feels good to get a personal best after over two decades, but it also makes me feel incredibly old.

(to be fair though, this machine seems a bit more lenient than other TAF's. Have no problems cradling the ball with the right flipper after graveyard kickout where on other machines it might bounce up too high, sometimes into the outlanes)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Clouseau posted:

and Last Action Hero is a blast too (supposing they get Arnie - but I don't think they use his voice, just an enormous picture of his face on the backglass - which Farsight has now said they're fine removing).

"To be, or not to be." "And Hamlet is TAKING OUT THE TRASH!" "....not to be."

I'd never played a Last Action Hero until a few years back and was surprised by just how fun it was. Definitely seemed like one of the best DE/Sega tables.

It may be unlikely but I'd love to see Batman Forever someday - it was one of my favorite tables to play at Ground Kontrol but they got rid of it a few years ago. It was good fun and that Two-Face HEH HEH HEH HEH laugh would always crack up me and one of my friends. The Mystery bonus that raises your end-of-ball bonus to a whopping 20X though, that was way too good...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
On the subject of obscenities, there's a pizza place near my apartment that has Crazy Taxi next to a 24 pinball table. The last time I was there I wanted to play a little Crazy Taxi, but there was some kid sitting in it pretending to play with his mom around... so I said what the hey, let the kid have his fun, I'll play some pinball instead. I end up jostling the machine a little too much trying to save the ball from an outlane which triggered a tilt warning, causing Jack Bauer to yell "DAMMIT!" really loudly. I look over and the mom shoots me a dirty look. Sorry.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Jabor posted:

There's an Avatar locally, and it is in fact incredibly bad. The rules are unexciting, virtually nothing stacks, dull table layout, and the only real "toy" on the table has effectively no impact on the game. And the DMD visuals are pretty poor quality as well.

The bowling alley near my apartment that had an Iron Man table recently replaced it with Avatar. What a downgrade :sigh:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Mister Macys posted:

So, I played The Harley-Davidson table for the first time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlFiaihmthI

:rolleyes:

Bummer, man. What happened?

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

T-Shaped posted:

cons:
- the callouts will not be macho man randy savage

YEEEUH
YEEEUH
OH YEEEEEEEEEEUH

(that bonus tally in WWF Royal Rumble gets me every time)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I know it was already said but I'm amazed at just how much TAF's audio quality on Pinball Arcade is complete loving dogshit. I busted out laughing the first time I heard the bonus tally sounds.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

mooyashi posted:

You guys I never even knew WWF Royal Rumble was even a table and just got to play it

*ball drains*

YEEEEEEEUH
YEEEEEEEEEUH
OHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUHHHHHHHHHH

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

I wonder if someone from the Crazy Flipper Fingers group in Portland went down to San Fran and got that AC-DC score...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

The Kins posted:

• Seasons 1 and 2 will be 50% off as a summer sale:

Oh nice, I was hoping to grab Season 2 during the Steam Summer Sale but it only hit like... 33% off I think? At 50% off I'll bite.

Really hope The Getaway does indeed end up being the next table, although I know the audio's going to sound like poo poo and butcher La Grange.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

TheMcD posted:

Now where's X-Files?

I'm not really a big fan of how X-Files plays but that table's soundtrack is strangely enjoyable. Practically every track is of course a remix of the X-Files theme but it somehow winds up being really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9U0vupAUIo

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

LawfulWaffle posted:

Big shout-out to everyone who hasn't gone back to Pinball FX2 since they wiped the high scores. The leaderboards are pretty dead, but it makes me feel good being number 1 on so many tables, and lets me focus on my personal goal of beating all of Awesome!'s scores without having to look at impossibly high numbers from other players.

Yeah I had no idea that this even happened. Not a gigantic loss for me since in all honesty I don't like a lot of the table designs, pretty much all the tables I had were from "sure why not" Humble Bundles anyway. I feel sorry for the guy on my friends list who was trying to get me to play it more, because that dude had at least a couple thousand hours logged in it last I checked...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

TheMcD posted:

I don't know why, but I absolutely adore X-Files. It's my favorite pin ever. I honestly don't even know why, just that I played it in Visual Pinball and instantly fell in love with it for some reason. I have yet to find one in the wild.

I don't even know anything about X-Files!

I'm not the biggest fan of the X-Files table (and I've never really watched much of the show either), but I still think it's crazy how pretty much every single music track on the table is a different remix of the theme song. And yet a lot of it ends up being.... really cool, somehow? I dunno, I dig it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9U0vupAUIo

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

LordPants posted:

Next table is Last Action Hero

Hell yeah, I had a lot of fun with this last time I got to play one of these. One of the better Data East/Sega tables imo.

"To be, or not to be? AND HAMLET IS TAKING OUT THE TRASH! Not to be."

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Going to Next Level Pinball in Hillsboro, Oregon tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/nextlevelpinballshop/

They're not officially open yet but they've been doing soft openings for a weekend every month. It's an interesting place - it costs $15 to get in but everything's on free play, which is great for trying out a bunch of different tables. I'm not sure of the exact game count at this point and there doesn't seem to be a full up-to-date list (as they're still adding stuff), but right now there's over 100 pinball tables and maybe 70-80 arcade games? Pinball selection consists primarily of 90's and newer tables, small amount from the 80's, a few EM's. Surprising amount of Data East/Sega tables, some of the Capcom tables (no Big Bang Bar though) and Spooky Pinball tables too. A lot of the recent Sterns too of course.

they also have lots of STUFF everywhere on the walls. Comics, comics, comics, movie posters, lunch boxes, shampoo bottles, all sorts of weird memoribilia. It's kinda nuts.

On the left is what is apparently an NBA Fastbreak prototype. Some of the details on the translite are different (one of the players got traded to another team before the final came out and they had to change his jersey!). Sadly the tables aren't linked yet (if you can even link it with the prototype?)

They also have the Domino's Pizza table. It was really dark and I could barely tell what was going on.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

KingShiro posted:

Sometimes I wish Play Port would get rid of their Tee'd Off machine because some fuckass always plays like one ball, then the machine just keeps yelling 'SHOOT THE BALL" until someone (me) goes over and drains the rest so it shuts the hell up.

I feel like every time I've been to Next Level in Hillsboro, Oregon somebody has left Twister before finishing a game, which results in the really loud occasional Helen Hunt screaming "ARE YOU OKAAAAAAAY?". It took me a while to figure out where it was coming from.

Certainly not as annoying as leaving a Terminator 2 table though with that constant beeping. Someone walked away from one at a bar that had it while I was playing something else, and after a couple minutes of beeping after my ball drained on whatever I was playing at the time, I went over to T2 and launched the ball just so that loud beeping would stop. I did it right as the guy was coming back, who apparently had to take a call outside and then he got pissed at me for killing his game. I'd say we were both in the wrong here but jesus christ do not loving leave a T2 game in progress you fuckwit

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

LethalGeek posted:

Wait it's open?? :catstare:

Edit : also I don't want to think about how many of you are that close

Vvv shut up

Next Level's been open pretty much every Friday - Sunday for the last few months, but I don't get out there very often. Mainly because if I'm going to go pay $15 to get in I want it to be on a day where I know I'm going to be able to spend some quality time there and get my money's worth. Fun place though.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
thanks to iast for reminding me of the Pinball FX3 tournament going on, I managed to get a 100 mil game going (on stream!) where I completed Royal Madness on the first ball... and then went to poo poo after that of course. Better than I expected to do anyway, and I think this was on the 3rd or 4th game so I still have attempts left, but... I don't think I'm topping that hahaha

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I can hit the trunk skill shot pretty much every time on a real Theatre of Magic table, and I don't think I've hit it once on Pinball FX3

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
yeah uh Theater of Magic can eat a bowl of dicks on classic physics. Did my damndest but could only muster 900 mil or so.

I took out my frustrations by playing Medieval Madness on regular mode with cheater score upgrades. Got Battle for the Kingdom 4 times, but only cleared it the first time, aww.

in other news, I've learned that Wedgehead in Portland, Oregon already got a Black Knight Sword of Rage cabinet, but as I'm leaving for a trip out of town tomorrow I'm going to be unable to play it for a bit. Curses...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
So I played BK Sword of Rage at Next Level for a while tonight, and... uh... hrm. I'm not really sure how I feel about it just yet. Let's just say I have some issues with the table design.

For one thing, it feels like EVERYTHING is feeding to the right flipper all the time. I mean, you can still backhand one of the most important shots on the table (the shield hole), but it always feels more risky. The beholder mode (I think) often started with the shield hole shot which was really annoying. Somebody else had mentioned that it felt like the ball was sometimes doing its damndest to escape through the top glass, and... uh, yeah that definitely feels like the case, when you're slamming those shots in the middle of the field, the ball often rockets back with such force that it makes some goofy jumps. Twice I managed to make the ball jump over one of the slingshots and go straight down the outlane. That's rough. Also I know Stern wants to put that center button on drat near everything but that is NOT where the Magna Save should be. I'd gotten a lot better at being able to actually make use of Magna Save on a BK2000 table but here it's like... gently caress you, take your hands off the table if you want to try to save that outlane drain, whoops too slow!

And I guess the rest of it is that I don't really care too much for the music compared to BK2000. The coolness of BK2000 extends past the main theme with the choir, it's those other little things that made the game so memorable to me when I first played it, like the way the music transitions on drain to the bonus tally, and then extending the sounds on the tally with every bonus multiplier... it was satisfying when you had a x5 multiplier. In this game the theme just kinda keeps going the entire time, you drain and it doesn't miss a beat through the bonus tally screen. It's just... not as cool. Maybe it's unfair for me to compare it to that when one could just say "If you want that so much, go play BK2000 instead", which is a fair point... but I feel like they're just missing some of the things that made BK2000 so cool...

Also I was of course disappointed that "Retro" mode was a special multiball that you had to get out of spelling KNIGHT (which I only did once). I actually couldn't hear the "retro" music well enough to form an opinion on it since it was getting drowned out by the original Black Knight sound effects.

Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe the code will make it more fun, maybe the Premium/LE is more fun than the Pro (although I've heard the opposite, that the upper playfield isn't that good). Maybe I expecting too much since this is the only pinball table I've actually legitimately looked forward to playing.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERY LITTLE DREAM I DREAM ABOUT YOU
EEEEEEEVERY LITTLE THOUGHT I THINK ABOUT YOU
DRIVES ME CRAZY WHEN YOU GO AWAY
I OUGHTA KEEP YOU LOCKED UP AT HOOOOOOOME

edit: also, this is what happened the last time I played a Road Show table

https://twitter.com/LordBBH/status/1116949471756034055

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
did a bunch of nothing in Black Rose then eventually got a game where I managed to sink two ships and got 112 million. Okay.

boar guy posted:

i dont like munsters in general. its sort of a boring game

I guess Munsters doesn't seem to be super well liked but I've enjoyed it! I actually like it more than Black Knight Sword of Rage, which is not a thing I expected to say.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

iastudent posted:

Is there a reason why Party Zone was excluded from the tournament?

Because it's Party Zone

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

First time I've ever gotten the championship ring in NBA Fastbreak, and came drat close to doing it a second time too. I'd gotten to the final game once before and choked it away, completely unable to make shots, so this felt satisfying. Next Level's machine just feels absolutely perfect right now. (also, that cabinet has a prototype translite, neato)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Billy Gnosis posted:

I just got back from California extreme and I have a question:

Silverball Mania has to be on of the thirstiest tables right?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Just 2 tables this time? Dang

I mean they're pretty good ones and all but still. Creature felt awful in TPA so at least this has to be better

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I haven’t looked into what the Portland scene is doing yet, but I haven’t even gone back to my gym since it reopened, much less doing recreational things indoors.

Next Level Pinball in Hillsboro, Oregon actually started opening back up like a couple weeks ago. Masks required, plenty of hand sanitizer and wipe stations, with staff wiping down games constantly. They also shut off every other game so that you can't play anything right next to another person, which is understandable but unfortunate if you were heading out there in the hopes of playing a specific game when you paid $15 to get in... still, with 120+ tables it's not too hard to find something else to play

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

boar guy posted:

cool another DadPin from stern

I mean, arcades and bars are closed. If they're going to keep making these tables, they need to be selling them directly to dads that have the money for them.

(...you'd think they'd be slowing down a little more on producing new tables, but...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I guess Stern updated the code for a bunch of games a couple days ago mainly so they could add in new EULA's to forbid streaming without the express permission of Stern??

https://twitter.com/buffalopinball/status/1341859772149227526

I know all the DMCA poo poo going around twitch lately is pretty scary and it was probably an inevitability since every Stern table (except Sword of Rage) is a licensed movie or TV show or dad band. Still, sucks for those that have been having fun streaming their tables