Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought one of the big problems with the percentages was that it was a per missile statistic. This would be horrible because they launched four or more at each incoming contact and had no way to tell whether one or more missiles hit the target. This means that 25% would be the max score based on hits/weapons launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can't tell if this is some sort of casual racism or what.

How about : Well, they learned from the best.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Um...the Japanese? The Germans and arguably the Soviets were both better at it than them, though.

Japan has been oppressing the region since before Germany and Russia existed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You'd think that you would fly a plane that actually had food/medicine first then when it isn't shot down you bring in the guns.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The ADIZ extends beyond U.S. Territorial airspace so it's really "optional" if you don't intend to actually enter US airspace. See also China's Sea of Japan ADIZ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Back Hack posted:

Is weird that I'm getting bigger semi from artillery talk then airplane talk?

Why not both?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Regarding this. Kinda copying my link/quote from the D&D forums so forgive me :P

"Based on some "insider reports" (whatever they may be worth) it wasn't a vehicle breakdown per se but an error on the part of the driver that led to the tank being locked up so that it couldn't be towed. A UVZ factory driver showed up, reset the tank and drove it off under its own power just 15 min. after the initial incident. If it was a breakdown, it was rectified from the driver's position."

This reminds me of a weird conversation I had with my Russian friend last night about the Vikhr. AKA "that weirdass tumbling/spiraling missile". I claimed its accuracy was lower than usual, a willing compromise, due to the single control surface, which in turn led to its flight pattern. He disagreed, and insisted that the missile was totally accurate. The key point of contention was that apparently Russian's qualify "failure for the control surfaces to account for the target's movement" as a technical/mechanical failure. Thus the missile itself was super accurate by claims, the inability to hit the target was instead qualified as a technical failure? :shrug:

The whole conversation was very confusing.

Sounds like someone is an EE working on guidance systems.
"My system is perfectly accurate! Go bug the mechanical engineers who can't get the control surfaces to work!"
"The control surfaces are fine! Why can't the EEs tune a simple control system?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

OR you could have two different planes, and then you get the F-15 and the F-14, or the F-16 and the F-18.

F-14 isn't necessarily the best example because the F-15 was the far more reliable airframe. The F16/F18 split is the navy's temper tantrum. The F-16 and F-18 (as the YF-17) were (effectively) the two competitors in the LWF competition. The Navy preferred the YF-17 so when the air force chose the F-16 they came up with their own competition and asked for a YF-17 with a few changes that became the F-18. As a result we can't make Navy Viper BSG jokes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is this list inaccurate?

Also, every time I see that page I wonder how you end up as a US army fixed wing aviator.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

- Designed as a gunfighter
- Gun design tends to jam during BFM
- Got most of its kills with missiles
- Daytime only
- From a Naval War College paper: "In all, 1,261 Crusaders were built. By the time it was withdrawn from the fleet, 1,106 had been involved in mishaps. Only a handful of them were lost to enemy fire in Vietnam. While the F-8 statistics might have been worse than those for most other models, they make the magnitude of the problem clear: whether from engine failure, pilot error, weather, or bad luck, the vast majority (88 percent!) of Crusaders ever built ended up as smoking holes in the ground, splashes in the water, or fireballs hurtling across a flight deck."
- Still considered a relative success in Navy fighter procrement

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Crusader was retired in 1976. When we ran out of Crusaders, we actually got better at fighters. Makes you think.

This is a gun forum right, 4 guns > 1 gun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What, you're saying that a gun that jams during high g forces and has severe accuracy issues is inappropriate for a fighter?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So what you're saying is USMC aviation is a Navy project to kill marines?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop planes are the only ones that have dropped nukes in combat. And the most powerful weapon ever tested was dropped by a prop. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

But not a single seat, single (piston) engine prop.

They apparently never actually put a real live nuke on a skyraider.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

But not a single seat, single (piston) engine prop.

They apparently never actually put a real live nuke on a skyraider.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alchenar posted:

"The successful firing of the missiles served to verify the tube integrity and missile stack integration of the MML. The IFPC Inc 2-I program remains on schedule to conduct an engineering demonstration in March 2016."

Is that code for 'it didn't catch fire when we pushed the on button'?

Well, the main engineering objective when pushing the "on" button for the first time is "don't explode" and anything else is gravy. Sounds like they're doing well!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Lemme tell you about how bomb bay doors mean stealth is dead.
____________/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mazz posted:

Going off quick google searches, the Super bug is around 32,100lbs empty, and the max payload of the CH-53K is projected around 35,000lbs. So it's close, and theoretically possible.

"Empty" is ramp weight before fuel and stuff. If you can take out something that weighs a ton (say, engines) and make multiple trips then you're golden.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Russia is now claiming that the missile that shot down that jetliner over the Ukraine was an old, obsolete version of the Buk that hadn't been manufactured since the late 90s. The implication is that it had to be Ukrainian hardware (perhaps inherited from the USSR) and therefore it wasn't the pro-Russian separatists.

The first sentence is probably correct. The second sentence implies that Russia does not have any old Buks lying around that could "go missing" which is laughable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Something like that. It was way out of scale.

We have loving photographs of the launcher before and after. Does anyone recall if it had any markings to tie it to one service or another? Considering how half-assed Russia was trying to hide it's direct involvement at the time I wouldn't be surprised if there's a loving stenciled serial number in a few of the pictures.

Read that article linked, seriously it is worth it. It's Buk 3?2 where the middle is covered up. Except they covered up the middle number in Russia before the convoy departed and the same pattern was on it in Ukraine.

So yes, they were literally that stupid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Everyday Ukrainians have stepped in to help bolster the fleet. People’s Project, a Website that crowdfunds supplies for the Ukrainian military, is working on funding two different UAVs.

Crowd funded military: for when you know you're hosed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xthetenth posted:

I think Malaysian Airlines just went bankrupt.

So are the airframes still cursed or was that just the company?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hmmm, the only more badass way for Canada to have gotten those hostages out would have been to put them in the back seat of the F-14s on their way out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its even funnier because theres a press release http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=87499

Which means that theres news articles of course: https://navaltoday.com/2015/06/05/uss-essex-moors-in-victoria-harbor-hong-kong/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

GE got a huge amount of the credit because they were sent the engines. They rebuilt engines that the Russians would change every 200 hours or so.

Did GE spend half the Cold War trying to figure out what maintenance task they were skipping that caused the engines to last only 200 hours?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In a nuclear war an interceptor aircraft is best thought of as the first stage of its A2A missiles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

Why on Earth would you call a project NASAMS when you could call it SLAMRAAM?

If I'm understanding it right the missile is called the SLAMRAAM while the entire battery level system including launcher, vehicle, comms, etc. is called NASAMS.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What if your enemy can fly underground, what then hotshot. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't think you get :thesperg:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alaan posted:

There are no Americans in Baghdad guy taught the Russians everything he knew.

Aerial reconnaissance doesn't count. Even if you slap a hellfire or two on a drone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ruse posted:

After all the Flight of the Intruder talk... Is there any sim out there where I can rock an A-6 off a carrier and bomb poo poo?

Hell, any sim where I can rock any jet off of a carrier for some good A2G/SEAD?

Strike fighters+a fuckton of mods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTzXj13rjA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Fatback Storm Falcons with the spines and dual seats are so much my jam.

They are pretty, they got cool gizmos, they can fly a lot longer AND you get to bring a buddy for a ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JphDdGV2TU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

Wouldn't it be Alamos being fired at F-16s? :haw:

Practice for ISIS's Archers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except anything that moves missiles from silos to rail cars or trucks makes some senators and congressmen get so uptight that they have to be brought warm milk and a valium to make them take a nap. I don't know why no one's come up with the idea of yanking a few dozen missiles out of their silos and building an ultra-secure arming station (think nuke distribution centers) with multiple rail spur lines attached and quick access to road networks in those same states just to shut those assholes the hell up about 'losin' jerbs.'

It was done.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Only the U.S. Federal government would find that shutting down a training facility or unit is the best way to increase the number of people available that are trained in that field/specialty.

:pseudo:

They're just catching up with corporate america.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Back Hack posted:

As of today, Russia is invading Georgia again. :psyduck:

DCS: Putin's Game is go.

http://agenda.ge/news/38872/eng

Apparently they're moving the totally incorrect "border fence" further and further back into Georgia?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 13, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I'm really curious as to what Germany uses for encryption when doing PoIP.

Clearly theres a wide opening for consulting in ADAaaS.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

At the max rate of fire for that gun, 220 rounds lasts something like 3.5 seconds. It's proportionately the same ammo as an AKM with one 30-round magazine.

In this analogy the AKM is your service pistol. Why carry an extra magazine for your never used sidearm if you could carry one for your main weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Very light turboprop CAS makes sense only if you deploy them everywhere and aren't allergic to losses. This was done in WWII with liaison aircraft. That role is now done by UAVs.